The *No Contact* Challenge! ( Read this if you just got dumped)

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
soulforge said:
jarial usually when i woman says, she needs time apart & she is detaching herself from you... i does end with her dumping you

so you felt like you had to drop her, before she drops you... as it would be easier to be the dumper!
I totally agree. I saw it coming, but I suspect she wanted to keep me as a safety net while she found a new branch to swing to or until she was certain of her feelings...but I snatched that away and made the decision for her. I'm glad I did, because I finally showed her I can walk away and I will not be strung along.

jariel, if you found out today, that she is already talking to or seeing some dude, would you take her back?
No chance! To be honest, the moment I saw her profile on the dating site I decided it was over for good. I'm not going to be anyone's back up plan.

Taking her back would also undermine the valuable lesson I've learned from this break up. I was too accommodating, too available and I lost my value...so if I was to go back to her, then it just proves I'm that same spineless AFC she lost feelings for.

If I'm being truthful, I would agree to meet and talk with her if she wanted, I'd listen to her and let her see an improved and more confident me, but I would tell her straight that there's no chance of us being together again.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Poppy said:
Hi there, is it okay if I join even though I'm a female? I am really struggling with this no contact business.
Of course. We're all here to help each other out and offer objective perspectives. Welcome to the forum.

Why reject me and then stay in my life? Send me a stupid text about a teaspoon? You couldn't make that one up it's so stupid.
It sounds like there is a lot of game playing and power struggling going on here and this is not a healthy relationship for either of you. However, relationships like this are very addictive! When you experience the highs, you feel great, and when you experience the lows, you feel like you're on a come down and get desperate for your next fix!

This is a situation I found myself in with my ex. There weren't intentional mind games, but she had a lot of issues, mood swings and hot and cold spells that made it a very rocky relationship.

No contact is definitely the best thing for you, but it has to be a means of moving on, not another powerplay head game.

Poppy

Reaction score
Yes, the addiction is what keeps you hooked. I've had plenty of relationships over the past almost 30 years with plenty of power play, but this was like nothing else. I just need somewhere to turn when I feel weak. We just had it out via text for the past hour. Where I was told I'm aggressive, and I told him he screwed with my head.

It's the coming back that does me in. I want him gone. I dont' want him texting me, turning up at tennis, sending his son up for babysitting. Maybe in 6 months, but not now.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jariel i think you did completely the right thing, by ending it

she would have defo dragged you along, while keeping other options open... when you has got something certain elsewhere she would have dumped your

when a woman says, i need time apart... the game is already over

yes u may have been somewhat acommodating, thats because you loved her & she took advantage

i did the same thing as you, when she said she wanted to think about things i just text her its over & vanished.

she was talking to some guy. but they was not officially a couple, so maybe she wanted me to hang around

either was we are both better off out of it... do not feel bad, do not ever consider get back with these people

never talk to them again... stay no contact

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A question for you all...

Are there any specific memories or thoughts regarding your break up that cause you significant pain?

I.e. do you find yourself reflecting on your last argument? Is it the moment you find out there's another guy? Is it a picture in your head of your ex and someone else?

For me, there were 2 specific memories and a few thoughts of her with someone else that kept popping into my mind and my heart would start pounding.

But I started to remember an old technique I learned when I was studying NLP some years ago. I used it to deal with various traumatic memories and bereavements and it was always very helpful.

Here's a few videos that explain this technique....

http://youtu.be/tSFvI-lb8Pk?t=1m50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_RQxt0Wcgk

It has actually worked very effectively for me. I actually lay in bed earlier and didn't think any of these negative thoughts about my ex. Every time my mind wandered towards them, they were scrambled and easy to push aside.

You may have to do the exercise a number of times, perhaps every few days to begin with.

Hope this helps. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:

Are there any specific memories or thoughts regarding your break up that cause you significant pain?

I.e. do you find yourself reflecting on your last argument? Is it the moment you find out there's another guy? Is it a picture in your head of your ex and someone else?

For me, there were 2 specific memories and a few thoughts of her with someone else that kept popping into my mind and my heart would start pounding.

But I started to remember an old technique I learned when I was studying NLP some years ago. I used it to deal with various traumatic memories and bereavements and it was always very helpful.

Here's a few videos that explain this technique....

http://youtu.be/tSFvI-lb8Pk?t=1m50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_RQxt0Wcgk

It has actually worked very effectively for me. I actually lay in bed earlier and didn't think any of these negative thoughts about my ex. Every time my mind wandered towards them, they were scrambled and easy to push aside.

You may have to do the exercise a number of times, perhaps every few days to begin with.

Hope this helps. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

jariel my negative thoughts

why did i put up with her crap for so long?

is she seeing this guy she has been talking to?

why did i not dump her sooner?

these thoughts keep going around in my head... i know for a fact i don't want her back & as the fog is lifting... day by day i realize she was trash & never worthy of a long term relationship

she lacked so many qualities a good woman has & i am lucky to finally get away... i was planning to live with this woman, even marry her... holy f@ck what was i letting myself into

imagine if she had got pregnant.... jeez!

as for her seeing this guy... i really don't know if she is... i don't even want to find out... so i need to stop dwelling on it

Renegade357

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:

Honestly I'm getting tired of running the same old stuff through my head over and over again. I'm right around 50 days NC so maybe that's the impact it has.

I think the thought that bothers me the most is how she let me go. She couldn't be honest, she had to make some a lie so it was all my fault. I called her out on it when I broke up with her and I'm really glad I did. I'm also mad about how easy she let me go. Didn't try to stop me from leaving or anything. I was a good boyfriend, did the right things.

I wasn't completely AFC but the relationship was very one sided against me. She was never fully emotionally invested in it even after a year. I knew my days were numbered. No begging, no crying from me. I just told her I didn't want to be treated this way anymore, goodbye and good luck. That's the end of it.

You guys had been talking a lot about dreams lately. I had those too and they make it way harder. The dreams have stopped and the funny thing is I actually had a dream about another ex from about 3 years ago. This one was fun but a lot of trouble in a good way. Had to let her go. Anyway it made me feel better to think about another woman again.

Renegade357

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
D1ZL4 said:
She was going out with her friends and meeting new men, every weekend. She was constantly on her phone and it wasn't until i found messages, it was all crystal clear and i could see that she was just using me as a safety net.
I noticed my ex was probably heading down this road and wanted to use me as a safety net. She didn't get far enough to where she was going out and meeting new guys every weekend with friends. But she did talk about how guys were starting to notice her and the way she changed her hair and dress style (my suggestion of course) has really gotten her a lot of attention. Most of the guys she talked about seemed like dweebs and creeps but who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them seemed like a candidate for her. She had me going down that path for about 2 weeks before I forced a break.

I'm kind of glad I dropped her flat on her ass right as she was gaining confidence.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Renegade357 said:
Honestly I'm getting tired of running the same old stuff through my head over and over again. I'm right around 50 days NC so maybe that's the impact it has.

I think the thought that bothers me the most is how she let me go. She couldn't be honest, she had to make some a lie so it was all my fault. I called her out on it when I broke up with her and I'm really glad I did. I'm also mad about how easy she let me go. Didn't try to stop me from leaving or anything. I was a good boyfriend, did the right things.

I wasn't completely AFC but the relationship was very one sided against me. She was never fully emotionally invested in it even after a year. I knew my days were numbered. No begging, no crying from me. I just told her I didn't want to be treated this way anymore, goodbye and good luck. That's the end of it.

You guys had been talking a lot about dreams lately. I had those too and they make it way harder. The dreams have stopped and the funny thing is I actually had a dream about another ex from about 3 years ago. This one was fun but a lot of trouble in a good way. Had to let her go. Anyway it made me feel better to think about another woman again.

renegade how long was you with her? and how do you feel 50 days after no contact?

do you feel like you are moving on, are things getting easier?

i am 2 weeks no contact, still feeling a bit ****ty, but better than before

also i find it difficult sometimes to visualize her face.. it's like she is fading away

it's the dreams that get me tho... i wake up in a panick

Renegade357

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
soulforge said:
renegade how long was you with her? and how do you feel 50 days after no contact?
About a year and a half. I feel a lot better now and I'm thinking if I found a quality replacement I'd forget about her really fast. I'm talking to girls again but nothing serious. I'm really trying to find a good one.

do you feel like you are moving on, are things getting easier?
Things are getting much easier. After a while you get sick of running the same thoughts in your head over and over again. Other things in life start to excite you again like hobbies, working out and friends.

i am 2 weeks no contact, still feeling a bit ****ty, but better than before

also i find it difficult sometimes to visualize her face.. it's like she is fading away

it's the dreams that get me tho... i wake up in a panick
The first 3 weeks were BRUTAL for me. I actually eyed the 3 week mark on the calendar knowing that would be a turning point. Turns out I was right. I think that's when the pendulum starting swinging in the other direction. Don't get me wrong it's still hard but if you do the right things the pain gets less and less every day. Slowly.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It seems a lot of us are suffering for the same reasons...the betrayal of trust, being strung along and being dumped in such a cold and heartless manner, and usually for someone else or the prospect of someone else.

But now the confusion and emotional turmoil is fading I'm starting to realise that there's something very ironic about my situation. I've been so caught up in self pity and self righteousness lately that I've transferred all the blame on her and refused to admit that I've been just as bad.

During my last weekend with my girlfriend, I started to have serious doubts about the relationship. We were on holiday, but she was in one of her (frequent) grumpy moods and not much fun to be around. I felt like she was really dragging me down, she didn't want to go out and do anything and was really putting a downer on the holiday. I started to become more aware of her faults, started having more doubts about our relationship and I remember thinking to myself "Do I really want this for the rest of my life?" To be honest, I just wanted to ditch her and go and do my own thing.

Meanwhile, I started texting a hot friend of mine. We've been into each other for some time and even though she initiated the texting, I was enjoying her attention a lot more than I was enjoying my gf's company and I did start to wonder if the grass was greener. I felt a little guilty about texting my friend, but justified it by transferring blame to my gf for not appreciating me enough, for being moody and distant.

The following week, my gf got more evasive and distant and I sensed things weren't right, so I continued texting my friend and at one point it got very sexual and when she suggested we get together for a drink in a couple of weeks, I accepted.

I felt even more guilty this time, but I managed to excuse my sexual texts and even going for a drink with my friend by blaming my gf for being so distant with me that week.

The sad thing is, I knew my relationship was failing and I wasn't happy, but I kept clinging to the hope we could get back to where we once were. It all got very confusing. On one hand, I have this gorgeous babe throwing herself at me and tempting me away from a failing and stressful relationship, but on the other hand I'm finding it so difficult letting go of my girlfriend and the hope of repairing our relationship. It's like I wanted to explore the potential of this friend, but I also wanted to keep open the chance of getting back what I once had with my gf.

The strange part in all this is how I've denied any responsibility for our break up, how I've pinned all the blame on her for branch swinging, stringing me along and being dishonest, when I was actually doing the same.

So what's my point? My point is that it's not really as black and white as we might think. Although she has been cold and hurtful to you, maybe somewhere in her mind she feels justified and has convinced herself that she is the victim.

Renegade357

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
So what's my point? My point is that it's not really as black and white as we might think. Although she has been cold and hurtful to you, maybe somewhere in her mind she feels justified and has convinced herself that she is the victim.

It takes two to make things work. You can always point to mistakes on both sides but if they aren't willing to meet you halfway it's over.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Renegade357 said:
It takes two to make things work. You can always point to mistakes on both sides but if they aren't willing to meet you halfway it's over.
Absolutely! I saw that my relationship was failing from both perspectives. She wasn't into it any more and neither was I, but I guess she found a way to blame me and I found a way to blame her.

And yet, even though my mind is telling me it's for the best and a mutual decision, it still fvcking hurts to let go and it hurts even more that it was done in such a cold way.

Renegade357

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
it still fvcking hurts to let go and it hurts even more that it was done in such a cold way.

It's like mourning a death imo. We lost something/someone that was in our lives every day. And that thing is never coming back.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Day 16:

Log time. Today I'm doing good. I feel quite accepting of the break up and as my post above indicates, I'm coming to terms with the fact that it was no more her fault than it was mine and that it's going to be the best for both of us long term.

I also found by running the NLP exercises (see previous post) to scramble the most painful thoughts and memories, I've been able to sleep better, focus a lot less on the pain and get on with my day.

I'm also feeling quite optimistic about being single right now and rediscovering my self worth.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i have just come to realize she was not good for me, on lots of levels

4 kids - 46 years old. lots of baggage

don't see what i get out of this relationship

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
man tonight is like torture... keep having thoughts of her f@cking this possible new guy...

me and her always had an amazing sex life... this s@hit hurts deep!!

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i am 2 weeks into no contact now & the fog is lifting...

wow the red flags i ignored are unreal... what the hell was i thinking!

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SoSuave666 said:
2 years ago I was broken up with. She was BPD, but I didn't know that then. I actually thought she was pretty normal. She was only my second gf so I didnt have much experience with the whole relationship thing...I did well with women..but not 'ships.

Anyway, after she broke up with me I didn't know what to do. I couldn't think, eat, sleep, lift, nothing. My weight dropped significantly. My job was in serious jeopardy and all I could think about was how I had lost the girl of my dreams. Some of the things I did for the 4 days following the break up were pretty bad...worst being some email I sent her telling her I would fight for her and it wasn't over, some serious beta words. Luckily I never called, showed up at her doorstep, etc. But still, these are the moments I think about now that give me significant pain.

I remember what it was like though at that moment, and I would not wish that on anyone. It's a terribly consuming, almost claustrophobic feeling. We got back together and became fvck buddies for a while but it fizzled out. About a year after I went NC for good though, she sent me a picture and text message out of the blue of me and her. She had always gave me sh!t for not having facebook so we couldn't have pictures together and stuff, so I bought her one of those cheap cameras that you take to like CVS to get developed. She loved the idea and we only used it for moments we deemed "special" I guess. It was our little thing.

By the time I got the text I had long deleted her number and thrown the pictures away (she made me a copy of the pictures when she got them developed). Honestly I had pretty much moved on. But damn, that one hit me pretty hard. The message accompanying it was something like "Look what I found when cleaning up! Miss you." Something like that.

I didn't respond because well she is BPD and I'm not an idiot. But looking at that picture on that day, it was painful man. My favorite memory of us. I was spinning plates, gotten a handle on my job and movin up, everything you're supposed to do. Did. Not. Matter.

2 years later and I've received a couple other text messages from her reaching out and an email. No phone calls yet. But it does get easier my man, trust me. All it takes is some time. Plates, work, and hobbies are nice little distractions, dont get me wrong. But when you invest a lot of time into someone it's only natural to get some attachment. The memories probably won't go away, but as you make new ones with new people the old one's will surely lose their importance.

great post SoSuave666

i am pretty certain my ex is also bdp... i,m not just pulling that out of the bag, done lots of research & she does fit the bill

plus in the 2 years of seeing her, i don't recall more than once or twice her apologizing or making up for sh@t... even when she was so obviously wrong! so definiatly some narcissistic traits there.

mate you say your ex was bdp? so did she treat you pretty crappy throught the relationship?

also after how long did you become FWB? i really cannot ever imagine going down that road with my ex.

you say she has sent you emails & some text... was they breadcrumbs? or was she wanting reconciliation ?