3rd annual Anti-approach anxiety competition

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
**** i haven't even started this yet. was going to go out last night.. then had a power outage. was waiting for the lights to come back on so i could get ready lol.

was too late for me to bother so i just stayed home ( CHODING MUCH?!) will be better once i live 15 mins from the club. can bounce down there easy. if it sucks bounce home.. gunna be sick!

i will try the challenged tonight.. how long do we have to stay in set for?

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
Crazy drunk psychologist I like your hair. I'm at 6. Fu *****es.

Just kidding. I love u.

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
So I was drunk. But I think my total is 6 now. I'm proud of myself for approaching a 2set and another couple of girls I would have just stalked from the bar in the past. I did learn that going to the bathroom while hitting on a HB7 wasn't a good idea. She had moved on to another dude when I came out.

sageproduct

Banned
Reaction score
^LOL

I complimented all the girls I approached, the numbers that I did get happened to be a byproduct of staying in there after initially complimenting them

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
HB7 at the convenience store. Complimented her on her tricolored eye shadow. She said it was to get her customers talking. I'm at7 now.

Gunner26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have 4 more. Hopefully finish up the last 3 tomorrow when I go watch my team play, I can't due to injury.

#6 - HB6, literally a fly by compliment, I was in a rush and as I walked past her, she was standing up against a wall, I said she had a lovely dress on and continued on my way.

#7 - Guy was wearing a really cool shirt, I told him as much and we had a breif chat.

#8 - HB6, I was at the bar getting a drink, told the girl next to me she had a nice handbag. ***** completly blew me off and turned away haha.

#9 - HB5, I was waiting for a friend who was in the toilet, a girl came out of the women's wearing a halloween top, I told her it was a nice top, but the wrong time of the year to be wearing it. She smiled, quick chat, then my friend came out and we left.

So there you go. I know that there's not much detail in these compliments, but there really isn't much to say. They are all basically 10/20 second conversations, I haven't held a real conversation, but then again I haven't tried too.

Anyways I'm on 9/12 and 6/8HB's

Gunner

Nite

Don Juan
Reaction score
3. Nice watch
4. Nice scarf
5. Cool headphones

all hb5+

Dali_tx_o

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, after reading through all the approaches, I'm realized I've got quite an anxiety for approaching people in the street. Great job so far, everyone, from what I can see!

As I'm currently not in an English-speaking country, I'll do my best to translate the conversations if it's somewhat worthy; Otherwise, I'll just describe the situation;

I had a rather busy week where I didn't have a spare minute (my work environment does not involve any new faces I have not seen, and I've been doing a 12 hour work-day for whole week. Work -> eat -> read -> sleep, pretty much) I have included my compliment-approaches, from last Thursday. And some of these are not exactly "cold-approach" compliments, more of a something that came out naturally out of situation - for that reason I have included little back-stories to paint the bigger picture.

1)
I went snowboarding Last Sunday, and this 14 year old kid going fast down the hill managed to curve around woman that fell over on his path, then cut to a halt right in front of me - kid did a very tight S maneuver, covering me in snow; I was rather amazed, and told him he's got some awesome snowboarding skills; He apologized for covering me with snow, we both helped the woman to stand up and shared a ski-lift to the top of the hill; had a brief chat, found out he's been snowboarding for last three years, we had a small chat about snowboarding, weather, how old am I and so on, then parted ways on top of the hill;

2)
I went to pick up a cake from local bakery - a woman in her late thirties, (I'd probably rate her as HB6; Slim body from what you could tell through apron) started packing my cake; she bakes them all herself; I noticed a birthday cake nearby waiting to be picked up by someone, and it had those sugary figures on top of it (Green Ogre, Donkey and a Cat with boots in some sort of a scene, I think it's from Shrek);

"Whoah, did you bake this one too?"
"Uh, yeah"
"Those figures look awesome! Did you make them as well, or do you just buy them?"
"Uh, yeah, I made them" *smiles*
"I always though you just buy these and stick on top of the cake. These are edible, right? How do you make them?"
"Yes, they're definitely edible"
"You mean candlewax-edible or chocolate-edible?"

After a short laugh she bought me a small piece of unpainted "material" to try, then proceeded to explain how such figure is made, showed me where she accidentally broke the head of the ogre and how she fixed it and how you could still see it if you look closely, I made a little joke about kid freaking out when he gets a cake with a headless ogre; Thanked for my cake, paid for it and left.

3+4) Me and and two of my mates were walking from one pub to another on Thursday night; They decided they needed a piss real bad so went into some alley; I lit up a cigarette while waiting for them, and just happened to be standing in front of a small pub; As they were coming back to me with their fingers on their zippers, I remembered some funny situation from when we were back in England, so proceeded to talk half native language/half English when retelling the joke;
Two girls (HB6,5 and HB7) had just come out for a cigarette form the pub we were in front of (which we decided to go to since we didn't really have a plan); HB7 complimented me on my English and said I have an amazing accent; As my mates went inside since it is deep winter here and they don't smoke, leaving me with girls, I jokingly said "Oh, why thank you so-ever-much, my fair maiden, for such compliment; And you yourself, my dear, have amazing.. *pause, while I look her up and down* shoes" in the poshest English accent I can imitate;

HB7 "Oh-mi-god your English is amazing" *giggling like little girl*
HB6 "So is that how you pick up girls here, just speak some English and they come onto you?"*laughing as well*
ME "Oh no, the way I pick up girls is this" *touch the chin of HB7 and go in for a kiss, she backs away, we start laughing*

I was semi-intoxicated, and did not really care, just continued the conversation while we were smoking and making them both laugh; Explained how I got fluent in English, we talked about some fluff, went in and continued conversation at their table; HB7 had her hair down, while HB6,5 had them in pony tail; It seemed like HB6,5 was used to more attention - she kept interrupting me when I was talking to HB7, and somehow conversation went to "So there's this scale where guy can rate a girl from one to ten in looks department; Hair down adds at least +0,5 point, while a pony-tail takes away at least half a point".
I told them their ratings, somewhat hurting HB6,5 ego, making her tell HB7 "He's only saying that cause he wants to drag you into bed". Talk about girl-friends, ha. Anyway, I was enjoying myself and stayed with them for the next couple hours discussing random things (my mates were having some sort of DMC next to the bar for the whole time).
The company to next table turned out to be HB's friends; One of the guys was saying he's going to Ural next month; I'm quite into mountaineering/mountain-climbing myself (that thing when you go on an expedition to some mountain-top?); We spoke about it and I complimented him on deciding to go to such trip and doing something different to what people are usually up to (i.e., just drinking and partying), gave him contacts for the semi-pro mountaineering group I usually join on expeditions in case he decides to go onto a more challenging journey;

5+6)Met up with my first ex-gf on last Friday (we were together when I was 15 or 16; She's gained some weight now, probably around HB5, maybe HB5.5 on a good day); I haven't seen her for years, but we kind of kept in touch; I had promised to take her to an Opera/musical some day, and she kept bugging me about it, so I decided to take her out on a night out since I was visiting her city; She's quite the upper class, rich-family, high-maintenance girl, so I decided to take her on a pub-crawl (she has never been on one); At the first place we hit (Small and crowded English style pub, Bingo!), I've met a group of my friends that we joined for awhile; Some random girl bought a small cute dog into the pub; I've petted the fluffball and told the girl "that's an awesome dog"; Girl was a HB6 or so (Second year student, petite, with glasses, minimal make up, that cute-innocent look) with a weird name I don't remember anymore (I think I asked for it for five times); I didn't get a chance to get into conversation since I've got an insta-****block from my ex-gf;
Continued on chatting with my friends/exgf, and went for a cigarette; Some semi-hipster guy was throwing remarks about how "people come up and just start asking about his SLR camera" to his friends; as I heard that, I approached him:

"Ooh, you've got an SLR camera?"
*hipster-style-sarcastic*"Yeah"
"What kind of camera?"
*hipster-style-sarcastic with a hint of irony or something*"It's a Minolta SRT 1-0-1"
"Oh, nice one; It's really nice to see people who still use analog cameras - I've got an X700, I prefer that to 101 since its got a bit more features" (My mother has been a photographer for 50 or so years - I pretty much grew up with cameras as toys, I know this stuff).

The guy changed his frame (?) within seconds and started asking me loads of questions about photography; He actually turned out to be quite cool, and even offered to lend me one of his lenses that I always wanted to try out; I ended up selling him some old black-and-white films later this week since he couldn't find any place that still sells them.
---

I believe that's about it so far. For some reason, I can naturally find some random topic to talk about with about anyone, but if I decide to say "Hey, nice shoes" out of blue, I feel weird and hesitate; So I will try to make my next six approaches with HB's something like that.

...When is the deadline for all 12?

Masculinity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thechosenone2190 said:
List of Approaches too long to quote
Dude although I give you credit for making the approaches, there are some areas you can improve.

Here are a few, do not:

-Have a conversation about school
-Have a conversation about work
-Have a conversation about the weather
-Ask for their name, and a few more sentences and ask for the #

You have to build rapport with the girl and generate attraction; it's very hard to say where you are going wrong tone-wise and body language-wise, but these questions you're throwing at them sound like part of an interview. Work on that and remember to talk about THEM, not you or how you relate to what they say/are/do/etc... Once they start asking questions, THEN you answer. Be a little of a mystery ;)

Plutoman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Never really had any conversations out of any of these, the girls usually gave a heartfelt thanks and continued with what they were doing, or gave me the 'Wow this guy is creepy' look.

• [1] Complimented an HB6 on her handwriting. She's got a really cute face, she'd be a solid 8 if she lost 10-15 pounds, but she just doesn't have that tight figure required. 1/8 decent girls.
  • [2] Complimented another girl on her quickness (?). Not sure how to describe it, but she was cruising through a crossword, that many of them completely lost it, so I complimented her on that. Also a 6. 2/8 decent girls.
  • [3] Walking through the mall, I saw two adorable little girls frantically pointing out things. They were only 3 years old at the most. Their mom was there, and I said "Are those your kids? They are absolutely adorable." She gave me a weird thanks and the "is this guy a pedophile?" look. 1/4 others.
  • [4] HB 6's-7's - Trio of girls walking through the mall, called two of them out and complimented them on their matching boots. Slightly funny as Nite knew one of the girls (he was with me then). 3/8 (opened two of them, but count as one compliment).
  • [5] A girl walking by on crutches, I told her they were really cool (they had some fancy patterns). She said "Yeah, I made them myself!" Replied - "I bet you did! You look like that kind of girl." Her friend popped in with "Oh, she is that kind of girl." They seemed slightly interested in talking, but they were still walking away slowly, so I didn't pursue it further. Probably a 6-7, she was young though. 4/8.
  • [6] Campus, told a girl I liked her red shoes. 5/8. No interest in continued convo.
  • [7] Coffee shop, a girl walking by, told her I really loved her jacket, all the interesting patterns. She gave a very heartfelt thanks. 6/8.
  • [8] Going through the mall, told a girl I liked her pink purse, it fit her personality. She gave me a weird look, made me feel like a total creep. Oh well. 7/8.
  • [9] Told a girl I really liked her red purse as I passed through the mall. Got another weird look. People at this mall were very unfriendly, closed up. 8/8.
  • [10] Told a girl I loved her black boots, they looked great with her outfit. She gave a really genuine thanks. More friendly than the other people. She was in a conversation with people, didn't interrupt for more. 9/8.
  • [11] Out at a jazz bar, told a girl I liked her fur jacket, I bet that kept her pretty warm. Her body language signaled she was gonna keep walking, so I said "You look a little bored, am I right?" She said "Yeah, but the music's good and dancing is fun." (or something close, don't remember exactly) and I replied "True, but hey, sit down there, socialize a bit." She gave me a fun smile, she knew exactly what I was up to, few hand gestures, I pointed to her, pointed to the chair, she pointed back at me and wagged her finger a bit, I shrugged. She had a group she was with, didn't get to continue anything. 10/8.

[12] Gonna include this one, I can add another compliment if it's desired though. Number close; sat down with a girl at the library, had a buddy brought over and we got to working. I'd seen her before and I commented on that, teased her a little bit about sitting there and staring at a sheet every monday (she was prepping for quizzes). Talked about her major, complimented her on it.. Physical therapy, it's a good field choice, and you get to stay all in shape. She's a swimmer girl, teased her on that. Teased her for being a crazy cat lady, said she looks like she probably has 3 cats. She agreed/amplified most of my teasing, laughing hard. Went into comments about how my buddy's and I teacher is a hobo, and made fun of his grammar in the assignment (he teaches programming 3, learning LISP).

When she was heading off, I stopped her and told her "Hey, you seem like a fun person. Let's hang out sometime. Give me your number and I'll get in touch." She paused, and said "Hang out? Like what do you mean by hang out?" I replied "Like, let's get a drink together sometime." She said sure, and put her number in. Teased her on having troubles with my phone while being used to the iphone.

Promptly texted her afterwards "Alright, you have my number now.. but you can only call ONCE per day. By the way, who was that hot guy you were just talking to?". She came back frantically apologizing for never asking for my name. 'Twas a bit funny. 11/8.

Had other approaches, but these were the only ones that really had compliments in them.

Plutoman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, forgot another purse comment. Can replace the last one.
[12] Told an older lady that her purse was really unique and cool. She was appreciative. 2/4.

11 5's and up + 2 others = 13/12.

Suggestion for others: If you have a smartphone, record a memento of each in a little note entry. Either altogether with several words each, or in separate notes for more detailed entries. 3-4 words was great in remembering each interaction and where they happened, and took only a moment to enter in.

sageproduct

Banned
Reaction score
Plutoman said:
[3] Walking through the mall, I saw two adorable little girls frantically pointing out things. They were only 3 years old at the most. Their mom was there, and I said "Are those your kids? They are absolutely adorable." She gave me a weird thanks and the "is this guy a pedophile?" look.
LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15S0g8pG6HU

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hooters girl that wasnt my waitress. Told her I liked her tatoo. Shes a 6 hooterswise, probably 7 in real life. I asked her if it was her kids iniyial she smiled and said yes. Didn't have to initiate this conversation, but I took the opportunity.

Now at 8...

Nite

Don Juan
Reaction score
6. Nice jacket (hb5+)
7. nice bag -old lady

god i had such an anti-social mood today

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
I need four more. By my count I could just compliment four random dudes and be done. I'm going to try and get four more HBs. Not easy since my town is a ghetto.

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok here goes mine... i'm pretty sure i am going to get a strike for this.. but whatever.

girl 1-5. I open them with " I like your shoes" they all said thanks. these was pretty much my warm up sets.

6-12 went a little bit longer.. i had a long convo with a girl who had a sparkly dress. it felt awesome because i kept plowing and it worked.

this sin't the end to my night though. read here to see how it went. WAS CRAY!

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2009101#post2009101

TheMusic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I deserve a first strike. I did hardly get out of my comfortzone, and have been a complete *****. Next challenge I'll hopefully have the guts to emberass myself.

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheMusic said:
I deserve a first strike. I did hardly get out of my comfortzone, and have been a complete *****. Next challenge I'll hopefully have the guts to emberass myself.
don;t worry man, i'm a vet at this and i found this hard.

i think it was because i was opening with it. so the convo didn't last. so times it did some times it didn't.

but i think if you did it AFTER your open it might work better.

i might use this for my warm ups.