Spesmilitis's workout journal

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm, for deads, its hard to tell how much I improved since my rep/set scheme has changed. I used to do the same weight for 5 sets. Now I just do a max weight for 5 reps. 6 months ago I used to do 205 for 5 reps for 5 sets. Beginning of april it was 290x5 for 2 sets. In may I went light on my lifting to build up better stamina for BJJ (lifted, but went really light) and in teh begging of June I couldn't concentrate in lifting too much because of my finals in college. My deadlift didn't seem to be too affected by the breaks as I just pulled off a new PR yesterday.

However, my squat seems to suffer a lot whenever I take a break. In november I could to 150x5 then I took all of december off to concentrate of finals then travel through europe. When I got back my squat was like 125x5. I got it up to 150x10 right before I took that break in may, now its down to the 130-140 range.

I am warming to for each lift I do. I do 4 warm ups sets where I increment the weight each time.

Thanks for the interest in my progress Q, I really appreciate it.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thats good with the deadlift considering the circumstances. Its annoying when lift gets in the way, you just have to work around it as best you can given the circumstances. Ach well eventually theres always a period of time when you can concentrate on it and give it your all.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
I defiantly feel the effectiveness. Right now my flexability is not quite there yet, so the position is still a little uncomfortable. Just recently I am able to get my torso parallel to the ground with the nuetral arche still in my back.
I Just solved this problem for me. My problem was poor hamstring flexibility, which wasn't there because of over-flexibility in my upper back from MMA.

I now stretch my hamstrings and calf's every night and morning.

This advice was given to me by a competitive powerlifter and may be relavent to you.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
I Just solved this problem for me. My problem was poor hamstring flexibility, which wasn't there because of over-flexibility in my upper back from MMA.

I now stretch my hamstrings and calf's every night and morning.

This advice was given to me by a competitive powerlifter and may be relavent to you.
Good advice wolf116. Tight hamstrings are very common.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, it was the hams that were preventing me from doing the form right before.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting...

My chiropractor told me that my hammies were tight as well, and to stretch them frequently.

I didn't take him very seriously, but I suppose I should get on it.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squat: 145x10
125 atg x3
115 atg x5
Next time do 120 lbs atg.
Whenever it seems you can't go up without cheating via goodmorning it or shifting forwards,harden core/trunk and go up. When it feels that is not enough, harden core/trunk some more.

incline db press: 55's x5. Non max out. Do 60's next time.

BOR/PROW: Make sure you neutral arche stays constant through out life. Always pay attention to it.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
squat: 145x10
125 atg x3
115 atg x5
Next time do 120 lbs atg.
Whenever it seems you can't go up without cheating via goodmorning it or shifting forwards,harden core/trunk and go up. When it feels that is not enough, harden core/trunk some more.

incline db press: 55's x5. Non max out. Do 60's next time.

BOR/PROW: Make sure you neutral arche stays constant through out life. Always pay attention to it.
You ever considered box squats to help you with legs? Helped me get past a sticking point when legs slowed up. There is a very good article on iron addicts about it.

Don't know if you have ever done the 20 reppers before but they really help in getting numbers moving.

What are your goals for now anyway? I know you train martial arts so getting huge might not be on the agenda but a bit more weight should help unless your in a specific weight class. Obviously strength is on the cards...
Power etc should be doing well simply from doing weights and training.

If its been nearly 2 months since you had a break you might want to consider one, especially if you are doing the other training during the week.

Also, try and add in another one or two warm up sets for deads because the weight is so much higher. Read that in the iron addicts warm up thread. One of the problems with being stronger and moving more weight heh...poor guys that dead 700.

Good luck with your goals whatever they are, good guys on here that are and have been a great help in drilling the do's and don't into our minds.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm planning to do 20-reppers eventually. I seem to be doing fine getting back to my old PR of 150x10 so I'll stick to 10 reppers until I get stuck. I think box squat is used for people who can't go atg, no?

Since I'm not doing BJJ over summer, right now I'm going for strength+size. It's been 2 weeks since I've been weight training seriously. I went light in may and in the first half of june I had my final projects to worry about, so I couldn't focus on lifting 100%.

As for the deads, I've just increased the amount I increment the weight and the starting weight.

Thanks for the advice,

Spes

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
I'm planning to do 20-reppers eventually. I seem to be doing fine getting back to my old PR of 150x10 so I'll stick to 10 reppers until I get stuck. I think box squat is used for people who can't go atg, no?

Since I'm not doing BJJ over summer, right now I'm going for strength+size. It's been 2 weeks since I've been weight training seriously. I went light in may and in the first half of june I had my final projects to worry about, so I couldn't focus on lifting 100%.

Spes
Box squatting has a lot more uses than that I think, however if regular squats are going fine there shouldn't be a need to switch at the moment I would think, but its something to consider in the future when you get stuck. WBA recommended them to me in March to train my way "out of the hole" or something, worked very well. Weak hamstrings or something. Here is the IA article anyway, very good read:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3395&highlight=box+squat

Here's an extract from the post by Dave Tate just for a taster:

I feel the box squat is the best way to train the squat, period. The form is the same as the regular squat but with the added bonus of being able to develop explosive strength. The box squat also places all the stress directly on all the squatting muscles.

Again if the 10 reps are working then why change? Having said that if you are going for size+strength right now then there is nothing better than a 20 rep widowmaker, from what I have read.

As far as advice goes I am regurgitating a lot of knowledge I have gained in the last 6 months, but I am a quick study and learn quickly. I like to help people out though, in it together kinda thing. However I would wait and see what the more experienced guys say but for leg size the 20 repper shouldn't fail you and if it does it faster than the 10 repper, why not is all I am saying. To me maximizing your potential in as short a time under the given circumstances is what anyone should be aiming for.

Btw how many eggs are you eating a day? Just curious heh. Cause you know by now for size what is needed food wise. WBA has me on 15 a day right now.

Anyway, hopefully stronglifts or effort etc can chime in on the 20 repper thing. I amen't trying to be bothersome its just a thought to help things on there way...later

Quagmire:up:

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
About what weight should a low box squat be?

Let's just say your 1rm for a squat is 350 and your 3rm is 300. Would doing say 160x3x5 be a good low box squat? 50-60% the weight of a 1rm?

I just made those numbers up, but i've been playing with box squat for a few weeks and they're really confusing me. I'm now trying to do them with a fairly wide stance, but they're hard as hell.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:

Let's just say your 1rm for a squat is 350 and your 3rm is 300. Would doing say 160x3x5 be a good low box squat? 50-60% the weight of a 1rm?

I just made those numbers up, but i've been playing with box squat for a few weeks and they're really confusing me. I'm now trying to do them with a fairly wide stance, but they're hard as hell.

When I did 187.5lb-192.5lb for 5 reps full squat, I lowered the weight to 175lb for the box squat for 5 reps, but those numbers are reasonably low. There's probably a lot of factors involved. Weak hamstring, glutes, quads, might affect it in different ways. I was using a box 2-3" below parallel. What you posted seems kind of low to me, but then again I have very little experience in the field so see what the guys say (you know who).

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Again if the 10 reps are working then why change? Having said that if you are going for size+strength right now then there is nothing better than a 20 rep widowmaker, from what I have read.

As far as advice goes I am regurgitating a lot of knowledge I have gained in the last 6 months, but I am a quick study and learn quickly. I like to help people out though, in it together kinda thing. However I would wait and see what the more experienced guys say but for leg size the 20 repper shouldn't fail you and if it does it faster than the 10 repper, why not is all I am saying. To me maximizing your potential in as short a time under the given circumstances is what anyone should be aiming for.

Anyway, hopefully stronglifts or effort etc can chime in on the 20 repper thing. I amen't trying to be bothersome its just a thought to help things on there way...later
I think 20 reppers are great to build endurance, both physical & mental. The 5 rep range is best for strength & size.

Spesmilitis needs to squat more. His deadlift is far stronger than his squat. Something. Squat 3x times a week.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:

3 heights:
-below parallel when sitting
-parallel when setting
-higher than parallel when sitting

Shin perpendicular to the floor, check your hip vs. knee from the side when sitting (video/helper).

Don't focus on the percentages. Learn the technique first, then start adding weight. As you say: sitting back it's not easy when starting. Don't bounce off the box btw, sit back, but don't let yourself fall on the box. Bad for the back.

Wide stance: be cautious about using a very wide sumo stance while squatting down. If you lack hip mobility (which is often the case), you risk hip problems (snapping hip syndrome for example).

I injured my groin last year doing low box squat sumo stance. Not the exercise, but lack of hip mobility was the cause.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
I think 20 reppers are great to build endurance, both physical & mental. The 5 rep range is best for strength & size.
It was always my understanding that the 20 repper was the major one that induced leg growth. Something about legs needing the higher rep range for better growth and not soley indurance. Not only size but strength.

Quote by iron addict:

"High rep squatting is one of the fastest ways to add some serious size to your wheels and also to make your body as a whole more efficient at adding muscle to your whole frame."

Btw spes-good job with the eggs.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
It was always my understanding that the 20 repper was the major one that induced leg growth. Something about legs needing the higher rep range for better growth and not soley indurance. Not only size but strength.

Quote by iron addict:

"High rep squatting is one of the fastest ways to add some serious size to your wheels and also to make your body as a whole more efficient at adding muscle to your whole frame."
20 rep squats are "shockers". As written on iron addict:"great to add size to legs/body"

I agree they are great for size. But not for strength. Low rep = strength. High rep = hypertrophy/endurance. Nothing beats a 20 rep squat with your 10RM for physical & mental endurance.

For strength: <=5rep + strength work + speed + power + technique + frequency

If you lift strong weights, you'll have strong legs, your legs will look strong.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
20 rep squats are "shockers". As written on iron addict:"great to add size to legs/body"

I agree they are great for size. But not for strength. Low rep = strength. High rep = hypertrophy/endurance. Nothing beats a 20 rep squat with your 10RM for physical & mental endurance.

For strength: <=5rep + strength work + speed + power + technique + frequency

If you lift strong weights, you'll have strong legs, your legs will look strong.
So rather than spes doing 10 reps, it would be a good idea to consider doing a few sets of 5 or lower rep sets for strength, which prime the legs and then combine that with a 15-20 repper for overall growth-which is part of his goal over the next few months. If I am right he will be starting back to BJJ or whatever in a few months so 20 reppers which pack on mass should be high on the to do list if he has the neccasary conitioning base; which I don't doubt as he has trained martial arts for a long time.

Just trying to be helpful as to what would be best for size+strength leg wise in the next few months for him. If time is a constraint and its the equivalent to an "off season" or whatever then I would be thinking f*** the 10 reps shoot into 15-20 if they were going to get me stronger/bigger faster. Just a thought.

Btw stronglifts, been doing those legs swings for two days and theres already noticeable improvments in hamstring flexibilty. Lossening up nicely-thanks.