Spesmilitis's workout journal

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep up the good work spes :yes:

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No problem. Any progress pics/measurements?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey looking at your back day, your deadlifts, it seems as if you may not warm up correctly. Not sure if your including warm up sets or not as it looked like you might be. I may be wrong, and apologise if I am, but was just wondering what an average warm-up for deads looked like for you. Like how many warm-up sets before your worksets, and what rep range/weight etc, cheers.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll have some progress pics up soon. Never took any measurements

As for deadlifts warmups, I have no idea if Iam working up correctly. What I do is 10 minutes of bike riding, then mobility stretches (those track and feild ones where you swing your legs) followed lots of dynamic stretching focusing on the hams/lower back. As for warm up sets, every set I do is in workout journal.

Let me know if there's room to improve, I really appreciate it, thanks quag.

Anyways:

bench press: 130:10, 130:5. Go up to 135. Work on incoporating your lats/core/trunk/legs.

sanding db sp: 40's. Stay at 40's, aim for 7-9 next time.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The link Simon posted is the precise link I was going to provide. I think when it comes to weightlifting stretching actually weakens the lift, heard it before and it said it on the box of weightlifting straps I got the other day. Stretching is good after, I'm sure ive heard people such as A-unit say. I am no authority on this by any means but until recently I wasn't warming up correctly either. Read that iron addicts article. There is a file attachment on the bottom of page 4 you can use for warm-ups but I think you need to be a member to download it. Here is a sample for a 290lb deadlift:

Warmups:

Reps Percentage Warmup Weight
12 Bar
6 40% 116
5 55% 159.5
3 70% 203
1 80% 232
1 90% 261
workset 5-10 100% 290 <-----Enter target weight here

Good luck.

P.s.-Don't think the table post's quite as planned but its just squashed up, pretty sure it can be worked out easily enough though.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dynamic stretching before weights, static stretching after.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Awesome. I'll be sure to do as much of that as I can. My deadlift day is under time constaints, but i'll definatly warmup better now.

Like simon says, Regular static stretching is bad before workout, but dynamic stretch is good.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squats: Do 150 next time. 5x5

Glut hams: 35x10. Go up to 40 next time. Stick to only one weight the first set. Emp stretch/thrust last two sets. Personal best

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squats: do 135 next time.
-Bar stays over the heels. To keep it that way, only bring upper body forward, not hips or knees
-at bottom, flex/push with the quads. Force your legs to straighten by flexing the quads.
-dig head into bar, look up. Don't shift body/hips/knees forwards, just upperbody
-forearms perpindicular to ground.

Glut hams: 40-5. Keep at 25 on first set to complete 10 reps. Only do 10 reps first set, then 15 rep 2nd set. 3rd set 10 and 4th 15.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bbbench: 135, 6, 5. Pinch lats, spread back on bench and make back push off bench.

BORS: 25+5's. Stay here.

SP: 42.5's. Go down to 40's.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
deads:

warmup
290x5
290x5
Cool down.

Pull back more, using upperbody as a counter balance, and making the lift feel more dead. Do 260-265 for 1 rep warm up before 290. Do same for cool down too.

Glut hams
4 sets. No pr.
40's 5, then 25's 5.

Hise shrug:
start with 25's and add 10-15's.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squats 150x10, personal best. Good form. Next time try 150x15.
Checklist:
-straighten legs with quads
-harden body
-push through heels
-Keep bar over heels by moving upper body forwards, not knees or hips
-dig head into bar, go straight up.

glut hams:
140x6. then 25x4. Personal best.
Remember to warm up with 25's next time.
For 3rd set, maybe start with 15's.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no dl's cuz of knee

BORs

reverse hypers( stretch hams after each set)

Hise shrug: went up to 175.
Next time start at 25's and increment by 15's

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man, nice work :up: You been doing the warm up's following the IronAddict post? Hope the knee isn't much of a problem, good luck with it.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure did. Also did a similiar thing for my squat, I believed that warmup style contributed to the recent PR.

Hopefully my knee isn't a problem. It was hurt while 'testing' its flexability in BJJ. Feels fine as long as I don't hit it. Hopefully its recovered by my squat work out tommarow.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wasn't up to a squat pr, I got 3 hours of sleep last night. Went very light today

squats:

shoulder press 40x5x3

reverse hypers: next, use no weight on first and last ones.

glut hams

grip training, next time try to hold 85's or 90's.