Spesmilitis's workout journal

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
So rather than spes doing 10 reps, it would be a good idea to consider doing a few sets of 5 or lower rep sets for strength, which prime the legs and then combine that with a 15-20 repper for overall growth-which is part of his goal over the next few months. If I am right he will be starting back to BJJ or whatever in a few months so 20 reppers which pack on mass should be high on the to do list if he has the neccasary conitioning base; which I don't doubt as he has trained martial arts for a long time.

Just trying to be helpful as to what would be best for size+strength leg wise in the next few months for him. If time is a constraint and its the equivalent to an "off season" or whatever then I would be thinking f*** the 10 reps shoot into 15-20 if they were going to get me stronger/bigger faster. Just a thought.

Btw stronglifts, been doing those legs swings for two days and theres already noticeable improvments in hamstring flexibilty. Lossening up nicely-thanks.
5x5 or 20 reps?

It's all about volume.
Volume = sets * reps * weight

The weight will always be lower when doing 20 reps compared to doing 5reps. So you've got a higher volume (more sets, more reps, more weight) doing 5x5 than doing 20reps.

Of course 20 reps is better for hypertrophy, because of the higher rep range. But that's where you need to choose: bodybuilding or strength training? There are different kinds of hypertrophy. I prefer hypertrophy from the lower rep range, it gives a denser look.

If spesmilitis wants his squat to go up quickly, my advice is:
-cut back the weight somewhat (30-40 pounds of your 5RM)
-squat three times a week
-add 5 pounds every workout

This is a 15 pounds a week increase or 60 pounds a month. It quickly adds up. Check the theory behind this: Progressive Loading

You write about fast gains. I've got my brother under my tutory right now. His 6th week on the beginner strength training program He weighs 65kg & did 5x5 squats with 67,5kg. He hasn't stalled yet, so he continues adding weight every workout, squatting three times a week. He didn't touch a barbell for the last 4 years prior to this.

Glad to hear the leg swings work ;) Continue the good work Quagmire911

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like the idea of squating 3x a week. I'll do it when my deadlift stalls, right now I just did two consecutive pr's. But, how do I squat 3x a week and still have enough energy/recovery for the deadlift?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
But, how do I squat 3x a week and still have enough energy/recovery for the deadlift?
By getting tough. With your current stats, it shouldn't be a problem.

Do what I advised you above:
-cut back the weight somewhat (30-40 pounds of your 5RM)
-squat three times a week
-add 5 pounds every workout

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
deads: 310. Personal best. Remember to lift fast. Pretend you're pulling weight into you using your traps/shoulders.

sp: 45x2. Go down to 40's.

w-pulls- 65x7. Go up to 70. After first set, go down to just leg weights and work on speed.

BOR: Go back down to 25's. Do not move hips. Try not to bend knees too much.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squat: 150x10. 125x10.
Need to go fast, especially at the sticking points. At the hard parts, I need to go faster, not slower. Go up FAST. I've had this same problem with the deadlifts.
Do not think about raising hips, think about brining hips back in line with heels, this puts more weight on the strong quads. Get straight as soon as possible.
Knees out.
Be fluid. Go down quik, as soon as you reach the desired depth, go back up fast. Aim for power.
Try 165x5 next time.

incline db chest press: 60x5. Do 60x7 next time.

BOR: keep hips still.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nice progress mate

How is it that you squat 150 and DL 310?

Have you considered lowering the rep range for your squats?

My worksets are 2x5, yours seem to be just 1x10 and then a dropset of 1x10. If I were you, I'd consider lowering the reps to 4-8, and grinding out 2 sets. It's what worked for me.

cheers

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whoops, that deadlift is supposed to be 305. Anyways the differences in my dead in squat are probably my long legs. More torque for squats but not so much for deadlifts. Or maybe I have a muscle that's underdeveloped.

I heard that higher rep squats are most effective when interspaced between low rep squats, so I'm gonna try a 5 repper next time.

Whoa, since when did you become a mod?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2 days ago

deadlift: 310
Go up fast. Watch out for hip raising. Utalize glutes. Pull bar into you.

shoulder press: 42.5'sx6

w-pulls- 67.5x6

BORS

light grip work.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squat: 155x5. Do 155 x6-7 next time.
atg 130x5
normal 130x5

Things i need to work on:
-quad utalization
-glut utalization
-speed, esp at sticking points
-core hardening
-straightening out
-good morning issues

Things I think I got down:
stance, knee's out, neutral arche, hipsback/leanfoward, hands/elbows in, shoulder blades squeezed.

BORs. Work on look at mirror to make sure you stay still.

icp: 55'sx6. 55x4.

Grip work. Used 75's. Do 80's next time.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Notes for next work out:

squeze glutes when comming up on deadlift. Hips forward, not pull back.

Do spinal decompression after w-pull ups

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
last 3 works outs

deadlifts: 325x1 for 2 sets.
w-pulls: 70x5

shoulder press
chest press
dips
skulls

squat: 155x6
BORs

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Notes for next work out:

squeze glutes when comming up on deadlift. Hips forward, not pull back.

Do spinal decompression after w-pull ups
Very good advice ;)

How do the spinal decompressions feel, you like it?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
Very good advice ;)

How do the spinal decompressions feel, you like it?
Didn't have time to do it last time, but I'll probably do em on tuesday which is the next time I'll do weighted pull ups.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting...

I do full body stretches for 30 minutes on saturday and sunday, I'll toss a couple of 5 minute "decompression" sessions in there.

btw, sounds like a scuba diving term.

What are your goals with your workout btw, specifics(lifting weights, date to achieve them, weight goals, bf %, etc)

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that was 9 reps at 155, only one set. Right now I'm doing 5-7 reps. When I can do 7 reps with a weight, I add more. I made good upper body gains with this scheme in the past, so I'm trying it out for my legs. The 155x9 was where I just exceeded my goals. I was planning on maxing out at 7 reps that day, but I was able to squeeze out 9 with perfect form. Next time I'll do 160, if I can do 7 reps, I'll add more weight. If not, i'll tinker around with it till I can do 7.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yesterday

inclind db press: 55x7

shoulder press: 42.5x4

light dips

skulls

today
deadlift: 315x5, personal best for the 5 repper.

w-pullups: 70x6 personal best.

BORS