3rd annual Anti-approach anxiety competition

Plutoman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
TheMusic said:
Well, sorry guys. I'll have to give up. Compared to last year the challenges were way too tough for me to get started. I barely have enough confidence to go talk to a girl, so having a three minute talk or compliment her is just too hard for me...

Good luck everyone else!
Go to Starbucks with a cute employee; talk to the girl for a few minutes about a good drink, how hard it is to work there, does she enjoy it, etc etc.

Bam, one down. That's just being social!

Now rinse and repeat for 2 other hired guns in say, Target, or another place.

Then take the next step and talk to another customer at say, Starbucks. Or sit down with someone in the library and ask them what their book is about. Do it for all kinds of people - not just the cute girls! Practice on some older people, like the older moms, the old grandpas that enjoy talking to a young'n.

This all takes effort, and if you don't want to put in the effort, then you won't make progress.

Wolfbones

Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, I deserve my first strike. Didn't do anything this week. Just waiting for next week's challenge now.

Nite

Don Juan
Reaction score
i went out 4 times this week only got 1/5

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH ME

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've got one left. I'll probably get a hired gun like Pluto says. I'll post them soon.

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here are my approaches:

Cashier at grocery store. Solid 7. I complemented her on her curls. We talked quickly but probably not 3 minutes. 

HB6 who flaked on me off when I was still embracing AFC. I ran into her again at a bar and we talked. Not for 3 minutes though.

Previous girl's HB6 friend. We talked a couple of times this week. I'm not really into her, but we did talk for 3+ minutes. 1/5

HB6 at a new bar I went to. She was sitting by herself and I approached. Not my type, but we talked for a while. 2/5

HB6 at race packet pick up. She was in front of me in line and was my captive for a good 15 minutes. I found out she was married. Oh well. It still counts. 3/5

HB8 in line behind me when I went to sign in for dance class.  I opened her and we talked a while. I got to two step with her several times during the class.  I overheard her talking about just getting out of a relationship,  so I didnt push. Hopefully ill see her at class again.  4/5.

HB6 at dinner. I was getting nervous that I wouldn't get the last one as I was tired and time was short. I went to Texas Roadhouse to try and get a conversation going with a cute bartender I've flirted with before when the last girl I needed walked in to the near empty bar. Pretty face and hair but chubby. I overheard her talking on the phone about going to the movies so I asked her what she was going to see. We talked about scifi movies. Turns out I didn't need to count the bartender. I wasn't sure it would have counted anyway. Would previous contacts have counted? 5/5

HB8 at the new bar. She was cornered by some guy but kept making strong eye contact. Eventually I motioned her over but she pointed at the dude and shrugged like, "what can I do?". Only this morning did I realize I should have buddied up to the guy and tried to push him out of the way. Oh well. It was cool getting that strong eye contact from a HB8. Kicking myself for not figuring out how to deal with the guy earlier. 

HB8s. behind me at the new bar. They just randomly rubbed me on the back.????!!!!???? I turned around to talk to them but nothing seemed to come of it. Maybe I sat in their seat and didn't realize it.

all in all it was a good week. I had a hard time with it because I felt out it all week which I think affected the way some of the interactions went.

I'm guessing number closes are next. Maybe my first strike.

Last edited:

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gray The Prince said:
I went back and looked at your post. Sorry, I misunderstood when you said Girl 1-5 and Girls 6-12. Disregard the previous strike. That being said, if you're quitting the challenge. Then you'll have one strike regardless.

Also, if you quit simply because you're "not feeling this" then you will continue to be frustrated and will regret this later on.
I'm to quitting any more. i just felt bad after i went out to the club.

i did go out and complete this weeks challenge

EDIT: thanks to coach for posting all this sets in one post

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
No problem. Sorry if it was annoying last week.

I ended up chatting that girl at dinner up quite a bit. I think she wanted me to ask for her number but I didn't. Oh well.

Dali_tx_o

Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought deadline for the challenge is Sunday night - so if ones weekends involve a lot of socializing and no internet connection, he can still participate in the competition?

1) On Thursday:
Gone out to a local pub after work to meet with an old friend for a meal; after we were finished, she left, and I wanted to stay behind for a beer; Got a beer, saw a HB8 (very pretty face, quite slim, 130lbs at 5'8 - could lose a couple of lbs). She was alone with a glass of wine and seemed to be waiting for someone, so I just came up to her and said "Looks like your friends ditched ya - mind if I join you for a drink?"
"Nobody's ditched me, she's just late"
"Were you saying that to me, or to yourself?" (different language, this is the closest translation I can think of)
"Haha very funny, and where's your girlfriend, she ditched you as well?"
"Yep - probably because of my small penis"
She started laughing, so I just sat at her table. She told me that I can keep her company until her friend comes over, then I'll have to leave. Then she tried to make fun out of my red trousers:

"I've got ones just like yours, haha"
"Well, I guess you might have some style after all"
"What do you mean, might have?"
"My grandmother has a blouse just like yours"

She pretended to be offended, and just at that moment her friend (HB6) came in.. who was actually a friend of mine for 15 years now! I stayed with them for a drink, chatting about random things and making fun out of them (HB6 was an excellent wingman! We're platonic friends, and I've set her up with a few male-friends of mine. Seems like she tried to return the favor).
After finishing their wine (semi sweet, I made sure to make fun out of them about how the drink semi-fake wine), girls were thinking of getting another one; I suggested going to HB6's place to watch a movie, and I'd mix them the "White Estonian" (A coctail that involves milk, they have never tried that before. Both movie at HB6's place, and coctail had come up naturally during the conversation earlier). They agree, we go to HB6 place, after watching a scary movie (Descent 2; I enjoyed the first one somewhat, this one was not that great though) and getting fairly drunk, HB8 invites me, HB6 and HB6's older brother to her place to get some tequila. Once there, HB6 gets too drunk and just falls asleep, while her brother leaves after getting that "sorry dude, you're kind of a third wheel" vibe. I also leave HB8's place, although 7AM in the morning for work, and feel absolutely awful on Friday.

Probably good 3 minutes of casual chat before my friend comes in, around an hour spent talking in the bar, and then quite some time while watching movie/drinking tequila and playing truth or dare.

I stay at home on Friday, then remember this challenge and decide to go out on Saturday eve. Get a text from a few friends that they're in a local pub, and throughout the evening I concentrate on simply approaching random HB's that I don't know.

2) Outside of the pub, come out for a cigarette, there's a HB6 having one as well. I ask for a lighter, then introduce myself, we have a quick chat. We talked random fluff for the duration of smoking, and she finished first and waited for me before going inside; She went to her group of friends, I went to mine. 5 minute chat, since that's how long it usually takes to smoke a cigarette;

3) Inside, I overhear two girls (HB5 and HB6) chatting about how they're single. One of them had her phone on the table. I sit down next to them:
"Hi, I'm the matchmaker, I'm here to get you both a date each"
"Uuuh, what?"
"I set up dates. I make single girls not single anymore, find them the perfect soul mate. This is a one of a lifetime opportunity for you. Here, play around with my phone, and give me yours for a second"

I grab her (HB5) phone, while placing mine on the table, both are slightly confused. Before they get a chance to protest, I continue:

"You've got some free texts, right? Go to the address book on my phone, letter.. V, and pass it back to me, will ya?"

They finally get a hand of what I'm doing, and pass me back my phone. As I'm going through address book, I end up texting one of my friends that was in the same bar "Hey, you're cute". Pass her the phone back.
I get the HB6's phone as well. I start asking questions, like what the girls are looking in men, and so on; End up joking that girls who say confident and funny have no idea what they want, and that I probably know better what kind of guys they will like than them themselves. I find out that HB6 is back for the weekend from university, and carpooling on Sunday - another one of my friends is actually going to where she needs to on Sunday, so I end up texting him; First girl get's a reply from my friend with a "Who's this?", she hesitates to answer so I just grab her phone and send "Well, come to the bathroom downstairs in five minutes and you'll find out".

Both girls are cracking up, my mate notices me with two phones in hands looking at him, realizes what's going on, starts laughing and comes over after a second, together with the other one I sent a text to. I stand up from the table and let them take over with both girls; Before leaving I look at both of them and drop a "Thank you for using Dali_tx_o services; We hope that you have a nice evening, and you are welcome to buy me an alcoholic beverage anytime". I probably spent around 20 minutes with these girls, since the conversation was just flowing, and it took awhile for my first friend to notice that someone sent him a text.

We all decide to change venue, so my group leaves for another bar, where I run into HB8 from Thursday; She's with some friends celebrating one of their birthday, so after cordial/polite Hi to her, partially introducing myself to nearby people from her group and wishing a happy birthday, I move on since I know I've got to do two more cold approaches the night. Funnily enough, HB8 is easily one of the hottest girls in the bar, also the "leader" of her girl group - and anytime I'd go for a cigarette or another corner of the bar to speak to someone, there she would magically appear in my proximity with her friends or blatantly flirting with some guy in front of me.

4) Went outside for a cigarette, HB6.5 with some male friend smoking on the side, me with one of my mates, a group of random people bit further down, and the HB8 with her friends nearby having a cigarette. HB8 decides to strike a conversation with my mate while ignoring me, so I turned to the nearest person (HB6.5), smiled and said "Hi!"
Introduce myself, got her name, and found out we actually went to the same school. She remembers seeing me around, and she's clearly a lot younger. She then says that she is still in school, which gives me a bit of a "Wtf? How old are you?"; Last year of high school, she's 6 or so years younger than me. I'm a bit surprised she said she recognized me, but we continue talking, I'm quite curious about my old High School, we share a few laughs (someone said that they can't believe she's so young, since she looks a bit older. I made a joke about her being 16 and buying alcohol for all 20 year olds, and she loved it), continue conversation while smoking, then go inside to our separate groups (again, 5 minutes or so minimum, since we had a cigarette each)

5) Some of my friends were playing table football, approached to say Hi; One of them told me he wants to have a chat with me about something, and asked me if I mind waiting until he's done so we could go for a cigarette and talk. A blonde HB7 was watching the game from a corner, so I just said yeah, leaned to the wall next to HB7 and asked her if she's waiting to play.
"Uh, nah, I'm just watching <her friends name> play, I can't do it myself. Why, are you going to play?"
"...I'm just watching <my mates name> play, I can't do it myself too" *acting surprised* "We've got so much in common, we should definitely have sex right now".

For a comic effect, I did say the "we should definitely have sex right now" in English, while everything else was in native language. It's kind of a running joke in our circles, and she seemed like she got it. She pointed at one of the guys as her boyfriend, I acknowledged it. We chatted about how we know the people who were playing at the moment, what course in uni she's doing, what I'm doing, then my friend finished game and inquired about a cigarette. Said "See ya sometime" to HB7, and walked outside.

I spent most of the Sunday morning with the HB8, then did some work and just slept for most of the afternoon, without a chance to go online, hence late post. Hope this still qualifies.

EDIT - I expanded upon the conversations, while cutting down some other fluff.

Last edited:

Gray The Prince

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
zero strikes
Uncharted
Plutoman
coachD
packers2010

You four have fully completed another challenge and therefore still have no strikes whatsoever. Keep up the good work.

One strike
parad0x
Dali tx o
JohnChops
Nobodycares1
Thechosenone2190
Nite
Wolfbones
gunner26

You guys are made up of two groups, either you did not complete the first challenge and stepped it up this past week or you completed the first challenge and did not complete this one. That being said, this week is crunch time. You are all facing elimination this week, as an incentive, if you complete this challenge, your strike will be erased.

Eliminated
Neon Owl
Sageproduct
nroug07
AAAgent
TheMusic
R.C
European-DJ
Twistedi
Purefilth
Frusciante1234
Algren

Better luck next year guys.

Gunner26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
3 number attempts, from 7 HB6's got it.

Last week I was pitiful, really didn't step up at all, only got 2/5 convo's, not good enough.

I'll try and do better this week, although I have a lot of uni work coming up this week and next. I'll still give it a go though

Gunner