3rd annual Anti-approach anxiety competition

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not giving up, but I've seen nothing but sausages in tonight. I live in the suburbs of a huge city and can't make the sacrifice to go to the urban areas every night. I'll hit Fri-Sun hard and look for opportunities tomorrow. Tonight I went out to two bars and it was NOTHING but dudes. There was one cute bartender that I've known for a while that I'm flirting with now that I've lost some weight. I approached her tonight and playfully flirted. That doesn't count though.

But great advice ParadOx. I'll use it.

And I have to say, you high school and college dudes need to get off your a$$e$. I teach high school and the way girls are dressing right now they are just begging for you to go talk to them. Our school has thousands of students. If you don't have the balls to do these two challenges then you'll never get out of AFCland. It makes me regret wasting my college years. I went to a HS with only about 200 students total, so there weren't THAT many opportunities, but there were in college. But I wasted those years.

Plutoman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I had two earlier, and then another this evening that got me a makeout with a model. Why the hell was I even out tonight, though, I've got class in 7 hours.

I'll write all of it down later though with more description.

TheMusic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Gray The Prince said:
You have 4 more days to get this done.
It's going allright. I'm having a party tomorrow, and another one on saturday.

Today I walked again, and approached a hot girl to ask for directions. Now all I need to do is approach them and talk about something else.

Plutoman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Finished mine, I'm writing it up now, trying to detail as much of the conversations as I remember. Might get in one or two more, one wasn't quite cold as she knew my buddy, and another wasn't all that long (it was 3 minutes, but only barely.. I'd like to get in some better ones). But they really aren't that difficult, especially in the library here.

Gunner26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Been really poor for this weeks challenge so far. I got one on monday that lasted a good 10 minutes, and another one just as long which I don't count as the girl was only a HB3, she started talking to me, I used it as practice.

Anyway I'm annoyed that I've had 5 days and only got the one. I'll step it up, I'm going out tonight to a bar that I love, it's fairly small, but always rammed. I find it one of my best places to strike up random conversations.

I'll keep you guys posted

Gunner

Plutoman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So, I'm stealing sageproduct style of differentiating the person in the convo. Black = me, pink = girl.

Also, not very flirty in these, as I wasn't interested in most of these girls. Not really my type. Had a pretty good interaction with a girl I am reasonably interested in, but it wasn't really cold, either, just spoke to her for a few minutes (going for the number next time..). Haven't had any girls lately that have spiked my interest besides a couple.. got a boyfriend line from my phone number from the swimmer girl last week.

Starbucks:
This turned out to be a pretty serious conversation, we talked about kids/etc. I first made the comment that it's a bit odd here, totally empty, we get the place to ourselves. Turns out she's married w/ kids, so we got onto that, and a serious half hour discussion on the subject of fostering kids, adopted kids, the fallacies of the system, etc etc.

HyVee:
I don't remember how the conversation went, but I was buying a 5-hour energy, asked her if she was working hard, she started rambling about how she is, she's gonna get done early, but she still won't get off till 6 (night shift, this was at 11:30pm or so), all that stuff. I mentioned I had worked at HyVee for four years and we talked some more. I teased her a little bit, she tried to make a few jokes that kind of fell short.. but ah well. Decent looking girl, but what appeared to be an 8 from a distance turned out to be a 6.5-7 up close. Not bad, just not fantastic.

Library:
"I'll never understand these umbrellas."
"Yeah, it's like we need to get out of the sun."
"It's really great for the bad weather, eh? They need to be about a foot higher, though, I always whack my head on them."
"Yeah, I just did that too haha."

[bit of a pause]

"Is that popcorn I smell?"
"Yeah, my roommate told me I can't have it here at the library."
[I reach out and gesture] "Here, give me some. Why did your roommate say that?"
"She told me that I couldn't bring it in here, as if I cooked it, everyone would smell it and want to have some."
"Well, she definitely got that one right. That smell there.. I feel like we need a big projector in here, you should bring popcorn, and we can just get the whole library watching movies. Way more exciting than homework, right?"
fluff talk, bit of rambling, started fading off as she started getting more into what she was doing. Movie reference was probably a bit awkward, but I'm just spouting stuff off the top of my head. Closed off and I wished her good luck on something, don't remember what.

Library 2:
"What's that stuff in your book?"
[confused look] "What do you mean? This stuff? Do you know it?"
"I'm just curious, is that archaeology? It looks interesting."
"Is it your major?"
"Nah, I don't know it."
"Oh, dang, I was hoping. I was like, if you know it, I could really use some help.."
[small chuckle] "Yeah, I can't help you there. I know someone majoring in anthropology, though. Is this your field of study?"
"Yeah, I know someone majoring in archaeology, too. No, it's just a gen ed."
-> transition into fluff talk, talked about the snow, missing school, procrastination of work, etc etc
"So what do you study then?"
"I study speech-language.." etc etc, talk about that.
-> more fluff, she wants to teach kids/etc
"You know, somewhere on campus there's a half-full bottle of coke.."
"Oh, really?" [slight chuckle] "It's yours, right."
"Yep, yep. Kind of annoying. I looked over at yours and thought 'dang, I forgot that somewhere, like two hours ago!'".
"I do that all the time, except with more important stuff, like water bottles. Like this one here," [points next to the window, a bottle sat there] "that someone else left here."
"That's college life, eh, we just pass everything around. Who needs to buy stuff? Just inherit it from other students!"
-> small silence, not awkward, just each of us back to doing stuff

She then asked about a form, and started asking me about deadlines for a form, she wants to study abroad, wants to study in France.

Closed it off with wishing her good luck on her test, which she had the next day. It was a pretty hefty conversation, actually.

Ra Sushi:
This was only semi-cold, my friend knew her. I've got really no idea what we talked about, my buddy and I were swapping stories, got her into the talk and she got to hear about my buddy's experience with a 17 y/o (he's 45). It really is a funny story. I ended up making out with her, with some prompting from my buddy, so he could get a picture; apparently a girl was mad at him, and he wanted proof he wasn't out with this girl to sleep with her. This girl was a total *****, too. Seriously. 500+ profile pics on her facebook, several thousand friends, and a model to boot. NSFW: Her profile pic.

Oh, had a funny snippet of conversation regarding facebook;
"Wait, are you friends with [common friend] on facebook? Why aren't you friends with me!"
"I don't add girls to facebook until I get to know them well."
"You should still add me on facebook!"
"Do you remember my name?"
"Umm... [awkward silence]. No, but you can look me up!"
"You can add me on facebook when you can remember my name."

She later turned towards my friend, said "Damn, I like this guy, I can't believe he said that."

Class Girl #1:
Never noticed this girl before, decent looking but socially awkward. She handed the attendance sheet away from me and my buddy, so I called her out on it.
"I know that was intentional. It's in your eyes. You have that look in them."
"Oh, really?"
"Is it because I'm white?"
"Yeah, totally, because compared to me, you're like completely black." (she was very pale, figures if she's in an engineering course).

She was a bit awkward. I walked with her out of class, but she's definitely a bit weird. She rambled a lot to me in which I just nodded and said 'yeah'.

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
done 3, will post detalis later. i'm looking at a second strike though, i guess - got way too much to do. :(

Plutoman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2011110&postcount=72

Another two there, those were totally cold at the bar. First was a good half hour or so, got in with the group, chilled out, talked to a few of the guys, talked to a lot of the girls. Birthday girl's working full time and studying a master's in accounting so she can become a CPA, all that fun stuff, talked for a while. She was wearing a corset, and holy **** that showed off her rack.

Second was ~10 minutes or so, nice chat. Didn't get deep, but she showed some interest, she seemed reasonably interesting, so I number closed. I don't really remember either of the specific conversations, though... just remember them going particularly well, especially with the friends in the groups.

These are to compensate for the not-quite cold one at the sushi bar, and the girl in my class, as I don't feel class is really 'cold' either.

TheMusic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Went to a party yesterday. Approached three girls to ask for directions. At the party I first met 1 new girl. Talked to her for about 30 seconds. Then had fun with my friends. Saw a girl on the couch, who was wearing the same sort of shirt as I was wearing.

Me: What's this? Are you copying my style?
HB6: Woops, sorry. Where did you get it, it's not the same is it?
BLABLA about brands, stores
HB6: I have a coupon for that store, if you ever need it.
BLABLA about christmas gifts from work, told her I got none
HB6: You can have one. My purse is full of amazing stuff, just grab something.

Then talked to her friend on the other side of the couch, for probably about 2 minutes. Just talked about studies, boring stuff. Started dancing again.

In the end of the party, I talked to another girl, not superhot, probably 5/6. Asked her about her trip, introduced her to a friend of mine.

When I left I got very dramatical with all the girls, told them I was going to miss them, hugged, talked to the other hot girl on the couch for one more minute (not 3 minutes straight though, so not counting) and went to the station.

Approached a hot girl with coffe about the train, but couldn't keep the conversation going for more than 1 minute.

I had fun.

1/5.

coachD

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time this week. My head's just screwy. I don't know what the deal is. I've made some small talk, but nothing seems to be working to get the 3 minutes. Plus, I went out Wed and Thur and my favorite bars were wall to wall with dudes. Ugh...

I'd love to move to a more urban area. I may finally do that.

Uncharted

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this was easier because it was less women.

1&2: Talked to two girls (HB7 both) on Thursday night about their tattooes and piercings. They were both married though - I didn't see the wedding ring on one of them until I was already 30 seconds into conversation. I just kind of said "well it was nice to meet you" and left. About 4-5 minutes.

3: Talked to a woman at the same bar on Thursday about beer. She showed up to the bar herself, I introduced, she said she wanted a beer and was looking at the menu. We talked about the beers they have on tap. Then her boyfriend showed up. Probably 2-3 minutes so I'll count it.

4: Last night I went to an UES bar, I noticed a group of girls with stickers and glitter on them. I asked one of them why they were all decked out, and she said "oh it's Anna's birthday" and pointed back to the bar, where there were two HB8s. Here's my open:

Me: Hey isn't it your birthday?
Anna: (disbelief) What?
Me: Yeah I had a dream that a beautiful woman named Anna would be in a bar today and that it would be her birthday.
Anna: Wow! Yes it's my birthday, what's your name?

We talked on and off the whole night. She kept coming back over to my group after going to the dance floor for a little bit. I didn't get her number because...

5: I saw a blonde HB about my height leaning against the bar by herself with her arms crossed like she was looking a little pissed. My open:

Me: Hey, you're not allowed to be in a bad mood here, it's my bar and my rules.
HB: (Smiling a little) It's your bar?
Me: Well basically.. no it's not.
HB: (laughs)
Me: That's more like it.

I get her talking. She didnt really want to come out that night, she drove her friends so she's not drinking heavily (so am I). We talk about 15 minutes about where she's from and what I do, etc. Some problems with her boyfriend (she dumped him and he's been basically AFC to her). The girl from above (Anna) comes over and hugs me. All three of us talk and Anna rejoins her friends.

Her: I'm gonna go have a cigarette - do you want one (it was FREEZING outside)
Me: No but I'll join you.

(outside)

Her: OMG it's soo cold.
Me: (thinking quickly) I'm hungry, let's go next door and get pizza (there's a pizza place there that serves all hours of the night)
Her: Oh ok sure let me just text my friends!

She asked me who Anna was - I said she's my ex (lies but whatever) and that she can't keep her hands off me - haha.

Food, chatting more, kino, kissing, number close. Only thing bad was the smoky smell on her mouth. Kinda grossed me out a little.

Thanks to this challenge and the SS forum for the ideas, because that would have never happened. #4 was a surefire thing, and I probably could have gone back in there if #5 flaked out - it was nice having multiple options at the same bar.

Onto the next week!

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gray The Prince said:
You didn't do 12.
I'm pretty sure I did 12. but whatever.

last night I went out and managed 3/5 I set was from friends from high school. I had to go solo and it was bad. having that said, I did learn a lot last night and met up with some cool guys i know in the community. they told me a few things i didn't eve know i did. they said when I talk I dlv to much, witch comes off bad.

so all in all it was ok. though i don't like having " rules" on my game. i just go out and try my best. sometimes it turns out to be a bad night. ( i chode) or i get a good night and i get some refence exp in my belt.

EDIT: so tonight i went out and got 2 more sets ( among others ) to last 3 mins. there was a cute red head who i opened and was getting a cider. so we talked about that for a bit then she left. she re opened me later on in the night and we talked for a bit, though her friends **** blocked me.

she was younger so i COULD have just pushed past the friends, but i don't have the balls yet.

the other set WAS WEIRD. i am at the bar. an Irish girl opens me on my left. says something like hey, then a Irish dude on my right opens me and starts asking questions about me. at first i though he was gay. but then the girl opened me. after a little bit the guy tells the girl something and they both leave together.

so pretty sure i was getting picked up for a 3 some and failed.. my vibe was off.

Last edited:

TheMusic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, sorry guys. I'll have to give up. Compared to last year the challenges were way too tough for me to get started. I barely have enough confidence to go talk to a girl, so having a three minute talk or compliment her is just too hard for me...

Good luck everyone else!

Gray The Prince

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Packers2010 said:
I'm pretty sure I did 12. but whatever.

I'm having a hard time at the moment with game. I'm not feeling it and I think I am going to quit this.

last night I went out and managed 3/5 I set was from friends from high school. I had to go solo and it was bad. having that said, I did learn a lot last night and met up with some cool guys i know in the community. they told me a few things i didn't eve know i did. they said when I talk I dlv to much, witch comes off bad.

so all in all it was ok. though i don't like having " rules" on my game. i just go out and try my best. sometimes it turns out to be a bad night. ( i chode) or i get a good night and i get some refence exp in my belt.

that's how i want my game to be now. i'm too far from the city to go out all the time. so i'm just going to go out and try.

I went back and looked at your post. Sorry, I misunderstood when you said Girl 1-5 and Girls 6-12. Disregard the previous strike. That being said, if you're quitting the challenge. Then you'll have one strike regardless.

Also, if you quit simply because you're "not feeling this" then you will continue to be frustrated and will regret this later on.

Gray The Prince

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheMusic said:
Well, sorry guys. I'll have to give up. Compared to last year the challenges were way too tough for me to get started. I barely have enough confidence to go talk to a girl, so having a three minute talk or compliment her is just too hard for me...

Good luck everyone else!
The first challenge was about as easy as it gets. I didn't ask you to get numbers or get laid or to even ask for their name. You're on this site to better yourself and gain the confidence to talk to someone, the goal is to expand your comfort zone and the only way to do that is to venture out of it. If I made these challenges comfortable, then you guys wouldn't gain anything from them. That being said, best of luck in your future endeavors.