Napoleon Hill, Brian Tracy, and the LOA

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK, that's the end of my rant. I was just pissed at being fooled and wanted to warn vulnerable people against getting their hopes up.

Also, the secret can not cure cancer. Many cancer patients have been discarding their doctors to eliminate a negative diagnosis. All because of a section in the secret where a chick wished away her breast cancer.

Last edited:

Ripper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
I'm not going to comment on that comparaison because it is totally flawed.

As for proving something doesn't exits. That's not the way science works, LOA must be proved not the absence of it.
No. wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Science sets out with a hypothesis and then seeks to disprove it.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's always better to day "I believe" or "from my perspective" or "in my opinion" when it comes to certain things. I remember that chick from the secret, I hadn't heard of her being exposed for making up her story. Could you post a link where she admits to lying?

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ripper said:
No. wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Science sets out with a hypothesis and then seeks to disprove it.
Oh yeah. And once they can't disprove it it becomes a theo.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My big toe has magical powers that prevent dragons attacking the earth. Can you disprove that? Is it a scientific theory now?

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nighthawk said:
My big toe has magical powers that prevent dragons attacking the earth. Can you disprove that? Is it a scientific theory now?
Well seeing as I have no knowledge of dragons attacking us, thank your toe! Good job!

slaog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nighthawk said:

reset said:
Well seeing as I have no knowledge of dragons attacking us, thank your toe! Good job!
:crackup:

slaog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wolf116 said:
I'm not going to comment on that comparaison because it is totally flawed.

As for proving something doesn't exits. That's not the way science works, LOA must be proved not the absence of it.

Ripper said:
Now its your turn to disprove it Wolf ;)

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Back in the 80's I bought a copy of "Think And Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill and found it to be an inspiring read.

In the back of my copy I wrote down what I wanted as far as money matters how I wanted it to happen and I read it morning, afternoon and before bed each day until ideas surfaced in my subconsious I also kept a pen and note pad near my bed.

This much I will tell you it helped me bring forth an idea that is on the market today saving lives making millions of dollars but in my haphazard pursue to bring it to market in trusting people my idea was stolen and according to my patent attorney I had no recoarse for suit.

I applied Napoleon Hills ideas and in my experience it works you just have to believe with an undying belief in what you are applying to your subconsious is real and will bear fruit in time. In my case I was asking for ideas and I allowed any idea to enter and wrote it down sometimes during the middle of the night and actually the idea thats on the market today came to me in the early morning hours when I rose straight up out of bed.

Allow ideas to enter regardless of how stupid they appear... write them down they are either small birth seeds of growth or seeds of weeds you must water them to determine their merit.

I make no claims of being an expert on this but I believe one must feel comfortable in what they apply in order for anything wealth building book's or spiritual development books to work.

Simply put as a man or woman thinks so is he or she and while you are applying the ideas of Laws Of Attraction or ideas of Napoleon Hill or any self help books for that matter what do you really think? Is what you ask yourself and if deep down you feel it's right for you regardless of what others think or say it will in time bring forth fruit.

LoneSilver

CasanovaFrankenstein said:
I've seen Napoleon Hill and Brian Tracy mentioned in positive terms on this site, and I've also seen "the Secret", Law of Attraction type stuff dismissed as a bunch of BS. I was just wondering if there are any here who see Napoleon Hill and Brian Tracy (who in several of his books and tapes makes no bones about believing in the Law of Attraction) who don't buy what the people who made "the Secret" are selling.

Napoleon Hill by the way, claims his method for attracting wealth (or anything else you want) was given to him by Andrew Carnegie, one of the world's first billionaires if not the very first, and got Thomas Edison's "stamp of approval". He also lists names of wealthy and powerful men who claimed this system as the reason for their success, these were the Donald Trumps and Bill Gates of his time.

So, is anyone here a proponent of Napoleon Hill and Brian Tracy, but not the LOA as presented in "the Secret"?

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOA is not law of attraction. Now, there is something called SFP, self-fuffiling prophecy which has been documented in many thousands of studies in all areas of social science, medicine, and so on, but it's not called the law of attraction nor is it some mysterious process or a secret. This "secret" is published in thousands and thousands of books and journal articles, so I don't think it's much of a secret.

I have think and grow rich. I'm not sure how to evaluate it. I have not grown rich for owning the book but neither have I attempted to do so. I believe it could motivate some people to take action.

Some people like "motivational" type speakers & others don't. Many of them do believe or at least promote some ideas that are at odds with modern knowledge, but one can look for the good in anything and find something useful. I started with Personal Power and regardless of the specifics, it did get me to take massive action which got things going for me.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We know that some people are successful.
Some are not.

Some work very hard and are successful.
Some dont work at all, and are STILL very successful.

Some work very very hard...and still do NOT achieve much success.

Some dont work at all, and achieve no succes...but wonder why.

What is happening?

If we know that what we Think we shall Become...then we can assume that the only thing that is holding us back from success we envision ( can we envsion ourselves as successful?) is ourselves, then why are we stopping ourselves?

And if we realize we ARE stopping ourselves, what can we do about it?

What are you doing to stop yourself?

What are you doing to try to stop others?

What are you doing to help yourself?

What are you doing to help others?

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the link Interceptor, interesting stuff there. Will probably continue with the EFT now.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Putting aside a painful past with my idea being stolen and making others millions it has been hard to forgive and forget. I still find myself not satisfied even though I own my own home paid for live in a middle class neighborhood or the cheapest home is over $200 grand but maybe down some due to the recent loans mess that across the country.

Anyway, I know that I subconsiously am messing with my future successes I feel alot of it is I am letting a minor disability interfer with my happiness a disability that I didn't have before but am trying to overcome and except I am still in the pis*ed off stage of it.

But I know without a doubt as a man or woman thinks so is he or she if one thinks he or she is a failure you are if one thinks you will or are sucessful or seeing those things that are not as already it will become. I have put this into action and I know it works.

Last night after I posted what I posted I asked my subconsious for peace and calm to allow further successes to manifest themselves in my life to where I can begin anew in excepting my weaknesses to build on as strengths so I can overcome... I know it's a done deal I just need to except what I asked for as being done.

Next month I will be 49 I have lived an interesting life and a couple times I have experienced near death knocking at my door due to alcohol abuses in my 20's. I just have to remember just how blessed I am today and that I am what I am by the grace of God or whatever it is that moves us to action in this crazy unstable world in which we live. I also believe we are all interconnected in some way or form regardless of race or beliefs as we come together and post our thoughts either intelligent thoughts or stupid they may appear it's all for growth and experience to grow on to a better and fulfilling life.

I am tired so some of this properly won't make a bit of sense to some but just writing out loud is all.

LoneSilver

*RHCP*

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Secret is a pretty bad representation of what Napoleon Hill discovered IMO. His 'secret' is that people become what they think about most of the time. People who a a certain money consciousness are 'attracted' to money, kinda like how people are 'attracted' to the opposite sex. It does not literally mean that you are like a magnet, and that your thoughts vibrate out of your head and help you get better parking spots. But if it was not presented in such a way most people who watched it would not appreciate the power of thought, and yes it probably wouldn't have sold well either. Focusing on what you want though is a major part of the kind of thinking that makes people successful. So is believing they will succeed. But if your not willing to do this because we live in the real world and theres a very small statistical chance that you could 'get all disappointed' then your not going to be successful.

Although I was skeptical of Think and Grow Rich at first I find it hard to believe that there are people who think their personal opinions and experiences are more authoritative than some guy who dedicated 20 years of his life to studying success.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
reset said:
Go to google and type in "quantum physics and law of attraction".
My first post was in jest. The law of attraction I was speaking of was like the Van-Der Waals attraction of close proximity of sub atomic particles.

The other law of attraction is a farce. Its snake oil being sold by modern day charletons. Its a shame people still fall for this kind of crap. People want to believe that some force outside of their control or understanding will result in riches beyond their wildest dreams. They want to put their success in chances hands, and not take responsibility. The real rich people don't do that. They know it is a matter of hard work, persistence, and learning from mistakes to get to the top. The elements of chance are present in the system, but are delt with or minimized ( see money management to lower risk in stock and future trading). Sorry folks, there is no magical force that will make you rich. As much as simpletons and lazy folk want to believe that getting rich as merely a flcker of a switch, the reality hits them harder than a 10 ton brick.

I read 20 pages of Napolean Hill's book, and realized it was rehashing common sense , but repackaging the whole thing over and over. Its like Kiyosaki's pyramid schemes selling his books. He never was rich, but certainly got rich telling a bunch of nobodies they could do it easly. People buy into that kind of crap, than wonder why they actually DONT get rich.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
You guys keep bringing up science and quantum physics but you are yet to link any real support from an actual scientist.

Prove me wrong.

There was only one scientist they could find for the secret and he tried to sue them for his misrepresentation.

SHOW ME EINSTEINS SUPPORT FOR LOA! WHY WONT YOU SHOW ME?

If any of you can beat the odd using LOA, why dont you prove it and make millions?

Verified in most analytical chemistry labs. My friend's MS and PHD thesis are based upon modeling this behavior for dual particle systems and other matracies.

Lets end the quantum discussion here :) I am more concerned the other Law of attraction actually has ANY merit what so ever.

slaog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
The other law of attraction is a farce. Its snake oil being sold by modern day charletons. Its a shame people still fall for this kind of crap. People want to believe that some force outside of their control or understanding will result in riches beyond their wildest dreams. They want to put their success in chances hands, and not take responsibility.
Actually what it teaches is that you are in full control. People who don't believe it think everything is by chance and luck. If you want to be successful you have to work at attracting things towards you.

synergy1 said:
The real rich people don't do that. They know it is a matter of hard work, persistence, and learning from mistakes to get to the top. The elements of chance are present in the system, but are delt with or minimized ( see money management to lower risk in stock and future trading). Sorry folks, there is no magical force that will make you rich. As much as simpletons and lazy folk want to believe that getting rich as merely a flcker of a switch, the reality hits them harder than a 10 ton brick.
What about the super rich like Andrew Carnegie, Charles Hanel, Bill Gates etc? They all believe(d) in LOA. I think you're missing the point of LOA teaching. Nobody's saying you just have to make a wish and expect to get it. It takes hard mental work to change thoughts etc.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slaog said:
What about the super rich like Andrew Carnegie, Charles Hanel, Bill Gates etc? They all believe(d) in LOA. I think you're missing the point of LOA teaching. Nobody's saying you just have to make a wish and expect to get it. It takes hard mental work to change thoughts etc.
What about the other 99% of super rich folks who don't? What about the millions of people who have the mental work laid out, but don't get anywhere? Statistics would take those few remote instances which deviate beyond the norm and throw them out, they are called outliers for a reason. At best this mindset is a small part of what it takes to make it.

Am I saying don't have a positive mind set? not at all. Believe that you are just like anyone else, with the same deck of cards, and anything is possible. I don't know about you guys, but I have my plan to get good equity in my life. It doesn't involve a secret passed down by monks from the middle east, but it does involve careful planning, risk management, and diligence.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slaog said:
It takes hard mental work to change thoughts etc.
You can say that again. Taking action that goes nowhere, working hard for the sake of saying you are a hard-worker, is easy. You just mechanically go through the motions until you physically collapse.

Working on your own mental attitudes and actually preparing to allow what you genuinely want in your life, that is hard, tough, gruelling work. At least at first. Over time it gets easier to be comfortable with having the things you want in life.