Marriage

Ivan Drago

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bungo, I agree that with you to wait at least a year before making a decision. I would also advise you to go on a LONG vacation with your girlfriend (at the end of that year) - the longer the better.

I have found through experience that even the best relationships can crumble after spending a 24/7 week or more together. Think of it as a mini-marriage. If you both can avoid a fight during your long vacation together, then you Bungo have a winner.

Bungo Pony

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thought I'd give a bit of an update on this one. NO, I haven't proposed yet :). However, she's been throwing hints about future engagement (not immediate engagement). This doesn't bother me at all since I'm thinking along the same lines

vectorz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have major expertise in this area also since I've been married and divorced. First off, look at her personality from a long term point of view. Is there ANYTHING about her that drives you nuts? Is this something you'll think will go away or do you think you'll be able to deal with it the rest of your life? For example, nagging. If she nags, drop her now.. NOW! How about her potential to get huge? Look at her mom - whatever her mom looks like chances are (I'd say 90%+) she'll turn out to look almost exactly like her mom. Integrity - does she have it? Does she take care of herself?

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Panzergrenadier - How long have you been seeing your fiance? or how long until you proposed?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you marry, I think you should start a corporation or whatever (just on paper, not in physical form) it takes to protect your assets. With the divorce rate at 50%, theres a 50% chance you lose half your assets, which in my opinion sucks.

sux2bu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was digging and I found this gem and had to say that after reading this.. I have my doubts about marriage. Even if you find the "right" girl, there's just too many variables that come into play. I'm not a gambling man by nature, but I know this much. I'd rather be single and happy, than married and miserable. Just go to your local shopping mall or wherever, and look at the expression on the the guy's face that is dragging along with her wife and 2 kids in tow. Don't get me wrong I love women! I just think that marriage is a bull$hit institution. Other than tax purposes, why bother?

Jake Steed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Bungo,

Just as a third party observer, here is how your situation comes across to me--She really does seem to be calling the shots. Based on the tone of your posts, you seem to be just going along for the ride. I'm not saying she isn't an awesome girl and that you don't love her, nor am I saying she isn't future wife material, but I AM noticing a certain reluctance on your part--as if youre trying to CONVINCE YOURSELF you want to get married soon. I think deep inside you know you aren't ready for this right now, and you're feeling pressured. If you make a decision like this under pressure, trust me you will regret it the rest of your life.

My situation--I am older than you, 26, and have been dating my gf for 2 years. Not once has either of us said "I love you," nor is there a need to say it at the moment because it only complicates things. My gf is turning 27 soon and not once has she ever even hinted that she wants to get married. To the contrary, she's told me she isn't even thinking of marriage until she becomes a self made millionaire. Now, the reason I've stayed with her is because of all this--there's no pressure to put a fvcking ring on her finger. Wanting to get married after 8 months is a sign of insecurity, IMO.

Remember, if a marriage doesn't work out, not only are you left heartbroken and must get back into the dating game again, but as the man, you are usually left completey broke, financially.

I wish you luck dude. Keep in mind, marraige is the beginning of the end of your sex life, so I hope you weren't enjoying sex too much! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Jake

sux2bu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jake Steed
Wanting to get married after 8 months is a sign of insecurity, IMO.
I can do one better. I know this clown that bought a girl a promise ring after ONLY 3 months of first meeting her. Both him and her are highly delusional and insecure. This is about as ridiculous as those lame reality programs on Fox. Any knuckle-head with a G.E.D knows that this kind of relationship has a snow-balls chance in h.ell of getting off the ground, much less lasting. I can only shake my head and laugh when it comes to mind.. FOOLISH.

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry but the guys on this thread who claim to be DJs and are defending marriage for various reasons really come across as AFC. They delude themselves into thinking they are now DJs because they found some chick willing to bang them and take their money? AFC Alert!!!

Well there is no way to stop the stupid from being what they are. They will learn but apparently not from us reformed AFCs who are trying to stop them.

Dietzcoi