Going to be another brutal summer for much of the US it appears...

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
While I was not the mod who deleted your post for violating forum rules (care to guess which one you violated?), you were, in fact, in violation of the very clearly worded forum rules. If you don't like being modded, do not violate the site rules

While no reasonable can fault SS for enstating the following rule, given where it we're currently at culturally

https://www.sosuave.net/forum/threads/forum-rules.269375/ :

• Political and religious discussions are not allowed on this forum. Experience has shown that they create too many problems among members.

One can't help imagining all the ways in which a resuscitation of Free Speech Culture* would render such restrictions unnecessary

* "Free speech culture is a set of norms that support free thought and our ability to share our opinions. These are norms that see value in curiosity, dissent, devil’s advocacy, thought experimentation, and talking across lines of difference; where our first instinct in response to speech we dislike isn’t to find a way to censor it — or “cancel” the speaker — but to meet it with more speech. To defeat ideas we oppose with better ones. These are norms that can be advanced at all levels of society, from the average citizen to the largest corporation"

Source: https://www.thefire.org/news/free-speech-culture-elon-musk-and-twitter

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course science changes over time and sometimes scientists are wrong and yes even admit it. That's the idea.
Science is for a large part about being proven wrong. Most often working from a theory they try to prove. If they care too much about being 'right', the scientific progress goes 'boink'.
That's why it's important to not just read the conclusion in research papers, but also their process to get to their conclusion.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While no reasonable can fault SS for enstating the following rule, given where it we're currently at culturally
Polite discourse avoid talking politics and/or religion because it doesn't contribute to the discussion. And no amount of political/religious discourse is going to change someone's political affiliations or religious faith. Don't open the door and let too many delusional people in, it will only dilute the conversation.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Science is for a large part about being proven wrong. Most often working from a theory they try to prove. If they care too much about being 'right', the scientific progress goes 'boink'.
That's why it's important to not just read the conclusion in research papers, but also their process to get to their conclusion.
And also find out who funded their grant!

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Don't open the door and let too many delusional people in, it will only dilute the conversation....."Well If I thought it might broaden his mind I would let Old Nick himself in!....Give people a stick and they often end up beating your back,Power corrupts!

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And also find out who funded their grant!
One of the reasons I never give any credence to 'statistics' from match dot com and affiliates.

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
Polite discourse avoid talking politics and/or religion because it doesn't contribute to the discussion
Which brings us back around to the virtues of Free Speech/Free Thought Culture. When we prioritize curiosity, dissent, devil’s advocacy, thought experimentation, and talking across lines of difference(Instead of having a melt down, each time someone utters words which run contrary to our view of how reality SHOULD operate), we end up with far richer discussions

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it is very, very hard to divorce politics from anything. It’s the ethos by how we live our lives and very difficult to avoid it.

It can make sense at banning discussion of party politics. Religion also hard. I had a good discussion about meditiation the other day and it’s very hard not to mention Buddhism and Hinduism, Taoism when you discuss that.

I’m a free speech absolutist in the sense that I think the urge to ban and control others right to express themselves is a greater offense than offending someone.

There has been very much a shift recently - there was a big thread about derailing topics and how you get banned for it.

It’s a balance between keeping everyone happy and it coming off like a hostile Reddit sub.

Im all for banning persistent pricks though.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn’t think this place would become woke but here we are. First time ever I just got a post modded out, threads on climate change. This is becoming reddit.

The last place on the internet which actually had free speech was here and the Californians have taken it.

fly the flag at half mast. A sad day. :-(
All it takes is one or two wokesters worming their way into moderator status to completely ruin a forum. We now have at least two.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While I was not the mod who deleted your post for violating forum rules (care to guess which one you violated?), you were, in fact, in violation of the very clearly worded forum rules. If you don't like being modded, do not violate the site rules.

Furthermore, the moderator who took action is not located in California.

I'm so sorry to invalidate your specious claims so easily.
I have to say, you guys have a strange way of determining what's considered political and what isn't. The post about fapping to Alexandra Cassio Cortez is not considered political and is allowed to stay. The post you made about the House passing a bill to ban Tik Tok is also apparently not political (for reasons that I'm having difficulty comprehending). However, my post showing a funny video of female politicians acting like children was immediately deleted and got me a 10 day suspension. So what's the test? Political discussion is okay as long as one of the mods does not hold a personal grudge against you?

Last edited:

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So what's the test? Political discussion is okay as long as one of the mods does not hold a personal grudge against you?
It's ironic that a forum that prides itself on helping inexperienced guys to become independent thinking men starts devoting itself to a woke minority that would be diametrically opposed to men becoming anything that smells of patriarchy.

Oh God, let's hope this forum doesn't get 'cancelled'. :rolleyes:

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh God, let's hope this forum doesn't get 'cancelled'. :rolleyes:
The forum will self-cancel if you allow the wrong to moderate it. All mods are power tripping and ego-driven to some extent (why else would you take on a tedious, non-paying job) but when you combine egotism with thin skin, you really have a problem.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All mods are power tripping and ego-driven to some extent (why else would you take on a tedious, non-paying job)
Not all.
I used to be a moderator for a motorcycle forum in NL and we were all enthusiastic about making the boards more legible and stacking information in the proper forums/sections. However, we would also meet IRL at motorcycle campings and events, so we knew most of the posters personally.
We had a section like Anything Else, where people could post shyte which wasn't moderated except if someone reported a post (mostly from scammers or sellers). I did that for two years, but I didn't have the time when I stopped working night shifts, so I stopped.

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
All it takes is one or two wokesters worming their way into moderator status to completely ruin a forum. We now have at least two.
Sounds like you are on a though spot. Keep your head up, brother.

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
Im all for banning persistent pricks though.
Antiquated as this may seem to many of us moderns, we have yet another option here:

Ignore the squeals of Milo Yiannopoulos-esque pigs, who are clearly out to do nothing more than draw attention to themselves, by acting like fools in front of the cameras. Such folks gaining traction is predicated on those they're targeting getting triggered by whatever bile they're spewing

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
I have to say, you guys have a strange way of determining what's considered political and what isn't. The post about fapping to Alexandra Cassio Cortez is not considered political and is allowed to stay. The post you made about the House passing a bill to ban Tik Tok is also apparently not political (for reasons that I'm having difficulty comprehending). However, my post showing a funny video of female politicians acting like children was immediately deleted and got me a 10 day suspension. So what's the test? Political discussion is okay as long as one of the mods does not hold a personal grudge against you?
If you cannot tell that the Ocasio-Cortez thread is about sexual attraction and not political affiliation and therefore is not subject to the “no political talk” rule I cannot explain it to ya Bo.

Yea she’s a politician, but it the thread is about her f-ability, not her politics.

The fact you cannot tell the difference or chose to ignore it is very telling, all on its own.

Why not make a thread about moderation and not hijack this one? We’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject!

Hugz

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Oh God, let's hope this forum doesn't get 'cancelled'."well looking on the bright side of that it would push some of the Guys who spend their life on here,to get out and live a little.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Oh God, let's hope this forum doesn't get 'cancelled'."well looking on the bright side of that it would push some of the Guys who spend their life on here,to get out and live a little.
I love your optimism, but I don't share it. Procrastinators will be procrastinators, I'm afraid. I'm sure they'll find another forum to whine about their volcel status and lack of sex.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah when did red pill become anti-science, anti-law and order, Alex Jones subscribed mental incompetence riddled blokes?
What an immature reply. The moment you tried to strawman with Alex Jones and all that other anti-callout, I knew it was bs.

He's right about what he said. We talk about being better men who work on our own and do not let the feminine world influence us, but then you have people like yourself that march to the voice of the very people that created the state of weak men and feminist women today.

smdh

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just like religion, science has become completely political. What was considered scientifically proven decades ago is deemed heretical today. For example, it wasn't so long ago that there was widespread scientific consensus about innate differences in intellectual ability between individuals of difference races. Another example is homosexuality, which was classified as a mental disorder in most western countries as late as the 1980's. And then one day, as if by an act of magic, it became a "normal" thing. The science has not changed but the politics have. These days, you would get instantly "cancelled" for saying something that was widely accepted as unassailable scientific truth less than century ago. And I wouldn't be surprised if a few decades from now, anyone who talks about "anthropogenic climate change" would be deemed a dangerous lunatic and treated accordingly.
Read The Fiat Standard book and it will explain where all this wasteful science comes from.