Going to be another brutal summer for much of the US it appears...

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
People have been saying the exact same thing for more than 20 years and yet we're still around. I also remember the "ozone layer scare", which was a big thing in the 1990s (before global warming became a big hit). We were all supposed to die from solar radiation by the year 2010. No one talks about the ozone layer anymore for some reason. And back in the 1960's, they were predicting a new ice age. You can think of many other examples of whacky pseudoscientific theories that became mainstream.

What I find scary is that one day, some idiot political leader may actually try to combat these imaginary demons and cause REAL harm to our environment in the process. They are already talking about building machines that would "suck" CO2 out of the air and store it in the ocean. Gee, what could possibly go wrong when you start messing with the atmosphere?
Yes, and more and more people continue to die from these issues every year.

Why wouldn't they continue saying it? Or should they just do the "stick my head in the sand like an ostrich and pretend it isn't happening" method that so many posters here seem to like employing? There is a saying that there are 3 kinds of people..."Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what is happening".

The wonder what is happening seems to be the large majority here.

Don't worry...one day you'll take your head out to look around and everything will be just fine and you'll be reminded how you dont believe in any of this nonsense. Everything will be right as rain...just like the Oracle told Neo in the Matrix. Would you like a cookie and a nice tall glass of milk too?

Unfortunately your beliefs are not supported by any known facts.

Last edited:

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what is happening".
The problem is that people who make things happen often have no idea what they are doing. As a result, they make the wrong things happen. This is particularly true of our so-called political leaders, who are more interested in pandering to hysterical suburban female voters than in actually addressing complex problems.

I'm guessing that you are not big on studying history (most people aren't these days). If you were, you would know that every time humans tried to "fix" their natural environment, the results were disastrous. Some examples include Mao's attempt to exterminate sparrows (to stop them from eating grain), the Soviet plan to reverse the flow of Siberian rivers, Africanized bees, use of invasive plants for erosion control...the list of negative examples goes on. On the other hand, there isn't a single example of a successful human attempt to fix a natural "problem". So you can have your cookie and nice tall glass of milk. Just keep your hands off my environment.

Last edited:

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
People have been saying the exact same thing for more than 20 years and yet we're still around. I also remember the "ozone layer scare", which was a big thing in the 1990s (before global warming became a big hit). We were all supposed to die from solar radiation by the year 2010. No one talks about the ozone layer anymore for some reason. And back in the 1960's, they were predicting a new ice age. You can think of many other examples of whacky pseudoscientific theories that became mainstream.

What I find scary is that one day, some idiot political leader may actually try to combat these imaginary demons and cause REAL harm to our environment in the process. They are already talking about building machines that would "suck" CO2 out of the air and store it in the ocean. Gee, what could possibly go wrong when you start messing with the atmosphere?

That's the same gal who wrote The Princess At The Window back in the late 90s, which some might call Proto Red Pill

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
Seems Bryan here

Was wrong, when he predicted the summer would be cold

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn’t think this place would become woke but here we are. First time ever I just got a post modded out, threads on climate change. This is becoming reddit.

The last place on the internet which actually had free speech was here and the Californians have taken it.

fly the flag at half mast. A sad day. :-(

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
I didn’t think this place would become woke but here we are. First time ever I just got a post modded out, threads on climate change. This is becoming reddit.

The last place on the internet which actually had free speech was here and the Californians have taken it.

While I was not the mod who deleted your post for violating forum rules (care to guess which one you violated?), you were, in fact, in violation of the very clearly worded forum rules. If you don't like being modded, do not violate the site rules.

Furthermore, the moderator who took action is not located in California.

I'm so sorry to invalidate your specious claims so easily.

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
I didn’t think this place would become woke but here we are
Believing that ANY of us are immune from our thinking being affected by Wokeness(When said ideology has seized large sections of the media and The C-Suites of most major corporations)is, quite frankly, more absurd than having Armenians and Turks cut sugar cane alongside one another, then expecting them to NOT start hacking each other up with those machetes, before even the first day of work is over

hellonwheels

Don Juan
Reaction score
There is literally almost no credible person who claims humans have had "limited effects" on this. In fact, virtually all of them now claim that we are the main cause of it.

The estimate is over 99%(some studies are at 99.99%) that humans are the cause of this and it is very improbable that for 799,800 years the earth stayed within a certain range of CO2 and Methane levels in terms of rates increasing and decreasing but then at the exact start of the Industrial Revolution it started going parabolically upward in a way that had neve happened in the previous 799,800 years of known ice core samples.

Now, are you claiming this is just coincidence? If so, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Contrarian opinions are fun because you don't have to "be like everyone else", but in this case they are simply wrong and to be perfectly blunt, stupidly wrong when looking at the mountain of evidence and trying to find a single nugget weighing an ounce that goes against the other ton of evidence to the contrary. It's honestly ridiculous.

It's OK to accept it, really...I promise the only one that would have a hard time dealing with it is contrarian's egos because they have to admit they have been wrong.
You are one of the biggest contrarians and argumentative people on this board. It’d be a major shocker to see you ever acknowledge a differing opinion from your own.

And now you’re claiming that we have 800,000 yrs of ice samples that backs up your genius level of knowledge of man’s extreme impact on earths climate? Or sorry thats 799,800 yrs of ice samples?

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem is that people who make things happen often have no idea what they are doing. As a result, they make the wrong things happen. This is particularly true of our so-called political leaders, who are more interested in pandering to hysterical suburban female voters than in actually addressing complex problems.

I'm guessing that you are not big on studying history (most people aren't these days). If you were, you would know that every time humans tried to "fix" their natural environment, the results were disastrous. Some examples include Mao's attempt to exterminate sparrows (to stop them from eating grain), the Soviet plan to reverse the flow of Siberian rivers, Africanized bees, use of invasive plants for erosion control...the list of negative examples goes on. On the other hand, there isn't a single example of a successful human attempt to fix a natural "problem". So you can have your cookie and nice tall glass of milk. Just keep your hands off my environment.
Hi Bokhanovsky,
Really great post,but of course it's not all is doom and gloom...Just off the top of my head and being rather parochial.This Country suffers greatly from the sporadic explosions in the the Rabbit
population....Scientists introduced Myxomatosis and the Calici Virus just stopped them in their tracks (for a while)....Then there was the Prickly Pear invasion in Southern Queensland,the introduction of the Cactoblastus Beetle also finished that one...Then again the introduction of the dung beetle has just about eliminated the myriads of flies that made Summers here pesky...So like everything in life it's a mixed bag LOL.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While I was not the mod who deleted your post for violating forum rules (care to guess which one you violated?), you were, in fact, in violation of the very clearly worded forum rules. If you don't like being modded, do not violate the site rules.

Furthermore, the moderator who took action is not located in California.

I'm so sorry to invalidate your specious claims so easily.
Just following ze orders, sure .

if mods don’t want arguments then don’t start threads about contentious topics which are almost guaranteed to get an argument.

anyway, I am too p1ssed off for words. It’s pretty low to start swinging the ban hammer about so I’m out for a few months to let everyone cool down.

Last edited:

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Just following ze orders, sure .

if mods don’t want arguments then don’t start threads about contentious topics which are almost guaranteed to get an argument.
I’m not sure what part of “violated forum rules” you’re not comprehending? Arguments are fine within the navigational beacons set in place by the forum owners.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Hi Fruitbat,
You have done your bit for your Country and as that Old song
"what did you do in the Great War Daddy"finishes "...and when I am Old and grey,what will England do for me"...You are embittered,my Dad felt the same...
As Kipling said "....Y'er just 'ave to pick up y'er bundle and get on with it"Be philosophical Lad,what goes around,comes around LOL.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m not sure what part of “violated forum rules” you’re not comprehending? Arguments are fine within the navigational beacons set in place by the forum owners.
How many times has been religion mentioned here without this happening. I’ve seen pages of Jesus bangers.

selective enforcement. We both know that’s what happened and again, starting to sound like a Reddit thread.

I’ve said my piece but I have a horrible feeling it’s going to be “one of those kind of places from now on”

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Fruitbat,
You have done your bit for your Country and as that Old song
"what did you do in the Great War Daddy"finishes "...and when I am Old and grey,what will England do for me"...You are embittered,my Dad felt the same...
As Kipling said "....Y'er just 'ave to pick up y'er bundle and get on with it"Be philosophical Lad,what goes around,comes around LOL.
I’ll just go to Reddit. Same difference TBH

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"if mods don’t want arguments then don’t start threads about contentious topics which are almost guaranteed to get an argument."...WRONG! keep posting,it is often by contention that we learn!

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"if mods don’t want arguments then don’t start threads about contentious topics which are almost guaranteed to get an argument."...WRONG! keep posting,it is often by contention that we learn!
Not when they start modding you when you don’t agree with them and hide behind rules they only enforce when it’s their egos on the line.

better stated as “start contentious threads but don’t start invoking bye laws you rarely invoke when something catches you on the chin a bit too hard”

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Not when they start modding you when you don’t agree with them and hide behind rules they only enforce when it’s their egos on the line.

better stated as “start contentious threads but don’t start invoking bye laws you rarely invoke when something catches you on the chin a bit too hard”
Let’s just say you’re making a lot of assumptions about who moderated your post which was in violation of forum rules. Again you’re incorrect.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let’s just say you’re making a lot of assumptions about who moderated your post which was in violation of forum rules. Again you’re incorrect.
Ok mate it doesn’t matter.

edit: ^ that sounds like my wife. What’s happened to me now.

Last edited:

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Fruitbat,
"I’ll just go to Reddit. Same difference TBH"...Naah!you will just leave that by the same door you came in....Best to just find a dark room,lie down,put a damp cloth over your face,lie back and dream of England LOL.

Last edited:

Millard Fillmore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem is many of you can't hold competing thoughts in your head. It's common with humans as they would rather be "right" than think critically or consider other possibilities. Too much ego investment.

For example, it can be true that climate science has been riddled with false panics and unfulfilled prophecies, but also that modern man affects the climate in a way that's detrimental to his own survival. It can also be true that some science is proven incorrect over time and other studies are proven correct. Still others can be undecided.

Of course science changes over time and sometimes scientists are wrong and yes even admit it. That's the idea.