The food is making us fat in the USA

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Google search from actual government and health organization websites say farmed fish is safe for humans to eat. Not sure what incentive regulators would have to approve something poisonous.
Time magazine 2022
"This new fish is an industrialized imposter that risks our health and damages our planet. Farmed salmon are bred to grow fast in cages so crammed that they are rife with parasites and disease. The fish eat pellets of fishmeal, vegetables, and animal byproducts; they are doused regularly with pesticides and antibiotics.

We spent more than two years investigating the global salmon farming business and the multinational companies that control it for our book, Salmon Wars. We interviewed scientists, physicians, fishers, activists, and those in the business of aquaculture. We read academic studies, court papers and previously undisclosed investigative files. We identified and tried to answer critical questions swirling around farmed salmon.

As early as 2004, scientists found levels of polychlorinated biphenyls, a probable carcinogen known as PCBs, seven times higher in farmed Atlantic salmon than in wild salmon. More recent studies found high levels of other chemicals and antibiotics in farmed salmon. Researchers at Arizona State University discovered increases in drug-resistant antibiotics in farmed seafood over the past 30 years, leading to concerns about increased risk of antibiotic resistance in humans. Toxins often wind up in salmon flesh and accumulate in people who eat the fish.

Some studies warn that a single meal per month of farmed Atlantic salmon can expose consumers to contaminant levels exceeding standards from the World Health Organization. The risk is greatest for infants, children, and pregnant women because of the potential harm from contaminants to developing brains."

I don't know about your browser or if you're cherry picking your sources, but I come up with page after page of info like this. That along with my own knowledge & experience in commercial fishing, along with the scientific data, says to me that farmed fish is one of the worst things you can put in your body.

As for incentive to approve it? .... $$$
Why do you think there are products on supermarket shelves that have cancer warnings and still sell them.

But if you want to eat farmed salmon ... enjoy.

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cook your own food, drink water and it's pretty simple really.
It's simple if you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, and if you're not alert, all kinds of stuff will get snuck into your food.
But this is another thing that can be laid at the feet of feminism, at least partly. With both partners in a couple needing to work, there isn't a dedicated person to do the shopping and cooking, and the result is more takeout, eating at restaurants, fast food, and convenient processed foods.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
It's simple if you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, and if you're not alert, all kinds of stuff will get snuck into your food.
But this is another thing that can be laid at the feet of feminism, at least partly. With both partners in a couple needing to work, there isn't a dedicated person to do the shopping and cooking, and the result is more takeout, eating at restaurants, fast food, and convenient processed foods.
You need a system in place like with anything else especially if you are on your own.

The thing that works the best for most people(including me when I worked in an office) is to prep food one day a week for 3-4 hours on a Sunday, portion it up and then grab how ever many containers you need for that day.

If you are cooking with all one ingredient foods, it's kinda hard for anyone to be sneaking stuff in...unless you have split personalities :lol:

With all the information out there in relation to nutrition and diet and YouTube videos you can watch, recipes online, shopping lists you can find, etc it's never been easier to do it.

It's just not convenient and easy and people like convenient and easy. They can always start tomorrow...which turns into next week...which turns into next month...which turns into next year...and so on and so on...

Last edited:

Millard Fillmore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need a system in place like with anything else especially if you are on your own.

The thing that works the best for most people(including me when I worked in an office) is to prep food one day a week for 3-4 hours on a Sunday, portion it up and then grab how ever many containers you need for that day.

If you are cooking with all one ingredient foods, it's kinda hard for anyone to be sneaking stuff in...unless you have split personalities :lol:

With all the information out there in relation to nutrition and diet and YouTube videos you can watch, recipes online, shopping lists you can find, etc it's never been easier to do it.

It's just not convenient and easy and people like convenient and easy. They can always start tomorrow...which turns into next week...which turns into next month...which turns into next year...and so on and so on...
Agreed, vegetables and fruit are dirt cheap and versatile. There's a lot you can do with veggies and they will fill you up. Use meats, poultries, carbs and dairy as complements (but be wary of their quality and what's going into them).

The problem with the US is with additives and pesticides. The FDA is basically a clown operation and big food sets their own rules. (If you don't believe me, google FDA + yoga mat.) But even if you cook using tainted veggies it's still better than delivery or frozen foods which is what a lot of Americans eat because it's convenient. In other countries sh*t like Domino's and McDonald's is more expensive (so not worth it) because they have to use real ingredients.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The amount of sheer retardation in this thread is beyond my capacity to sort out.

TL;DR: OP (any everyone else) would stop being fat if he just ate healthy food and exercised regularly.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know about your browser or if you're cherry picking your sources, but I come up with page after page of info like this. That along with my own knowledge & experience in commercial fishing, along with the scientific data, says to me that farmed fish is one of the worst things you can put in your body.
We were talking about government sources… you cited Time Magazine. Theres nothing like a good story!

My browser shows Peta, Animal Wellness Institute, and so forth with such articles. When it comes to actual academic sources, theres nothing I see suggesting farmed fish is any more toxic than any other animal meat consumed in the USA. The EPA has an extensive section on fish with links to their testing results.

But if you want to eat farmed salmon ... enjoy.
I eat wild fish at home. Mostly because it is significantly leaner. Easier to overlook though so I have to cook it (my wife habitually overcooks meat). Regarding farmed fish, it is all that is available in most restaurants.

Last edited:

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The amount of sheer retardation in this thread is beyond my capacity to sort out.

TL;DR: OP (any everyone else) would stop being fat if he just ate healthy food and exercised regularly.
The point of this thread is that the food lobby in the US is making it difficult for people to maintain a good weight. Other nations have much healthier food. This is a proven fact. Please argue the fact that our food is intentionally more poisonous than the food of other nations. You cant argue that.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi ManFromTarturis,
Buy Australian or N.Zealand Beef or Lamb...I mostly buy lamb,poor little Devils are never injected or Drenched,of course they would take in a little toxic material from their Mother who get a Yearly Drench and multi Spectrum injection,in most years they spend their short little lives gambolling around in grassy meadows.....Should I buy Beef,I buy Highland Meat,that never sees a Feedlot.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Bible Belt,
"...The Chinese feed their farmed fish fresh manure, whatever is easiest to get...pig sh1t...duck/chicken sh1t..."Oh but you missed the main ingredient "Night Soil"Human crap....The Council comes round and pumps the stuff out of holding tanks in Public Toilets,sells it to the Peasants.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please argue the fact that our food is intentionally more poisonous than the food of other nations. You cant argue that.
I think the foods that people intentionally choose to eat in this country, are more poisonous (read: fattening) than in others.

The FDA is garbage and so are their nutritional recommendations, I'll concede that.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I think the foods that people intentionally choose to eat in this country, are more poisonous (read: fattening) than in others.

The FDA is garbage and so are their nutritional recommendations, I'll concede that.
People think the FDA is there to protect consumers when it's really there to cause long lasting, slow declining health issues to force people onto drugs for the rest of their life.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People think the FDA is there to protect consumers when it's really there to cause long lasting, slow declining health issues to force people onto [subsidized healthcare approved] drugs for the rest of their life.
Couldn't agree more!

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
We were talking about government sources… you cited Time Magazine. Theres nothing like a good story!

My browser shows Peta, Animal Wellness Institute, and so forth with such articles. When it comes to actual academic sources, theres nothing I see suggesting farmed fish is any more toxic than any other animal meat consumed in the USA. The EPA has an extensive section on fish with links to their testing results.

I eat wild fish at home. Mostly because it is significantly leaner. Easier to overlook though so I have to cook it (my wife habitually overcooks meat). Regarding farmed fish, it is all that is available in most restaurants.
I just used that Time article cause it was the first thing on the first page of a long list of sources I came across. I also see tons of other sources that are academic, like the National institute of health, UCLA health, European parliament. If you searched "farmed fish + toxic" like I have you will see this, or you're just being contrarian.

I looked at the EPA link and fact is it says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about farmed fish so I don't even know why you put that there, while the Time (a highly respected publication) article (not "story") clearly states how much research was put into it.
Again, I just think you're cherry picking your sources and just up for a debate.

What I do agree is your choice to purchase wild seafood, I commend you and encourage your wise choice, and that many restaurants and seafood suppliers push farmed fish to the public. A misguided support of an industry that promotes itself on the premise of a good alternative to the overfishing(a sad reality) that has gone on for hundreds of years. This is why I mainly eat fish I have caught myself, don't eat seafood at restaurants, and know that the concept of sustainable fishing is by far better for ourselves and the planet than the product of fish factories, and the harm it does to our bodies and environment.

Sermon over.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just used that Time article cause it was the first thing on the first page of a long list of sources I came across. I also see tons of other sources that are academic, like the National institute of health, UCLA health, European parliament. If you searched "farmed fish + toxic" like I have you will see this, or you're just being contrarian.
Farmed fish + toxic yields a slew of articles from animal rights groups. I haven’t found anything from academic sources that support the idea that farmed fish is toxic for human health. There are concerns and a multitude studies that examine contaminant levels but nothing rises to the level of “toxic - do not eat” (with the exception of large predatory fish like shark). At least, nothing as damning as the studies showing meat with respect to carcinogens or similar “big cattle,” “big poultry,” and “big pork” studies that cite similar concerns. Not being contrarian, just think calling a food toxic is a serious accusation.

What I do agree is your choice to purchase wild seafood, I commend you and encourage your wise choice, and that many restaurants and seafood suppliers push farmed fish to the public.
Certainly prefer wild fish. Even the taste and color is different. Leaner because they spend their lives actually swimming. I think an overlooked benefit of wild caught fish is that they eat actual marine vegetation and phytoplankton, thus the true source of omega-3. Farmed fish if I’m not mistaken are eating fish oil supplements?

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Certainly prefer wild fish. Even the taste and color is different. Leaner because they spend their lives actually swimming. I think an overlooked benefit of wild caught fish is that they eat actual marine vegetation and phytoplankton, thus the true source of omega-3. Farmed fish if I’m not mistaken are eating fish oil supplements?
Absolutely this!! Trust your tastebuds and mother nature.

They're leaner not from just swimming, but hunting, evading predators, and living by the rhythms of the ocean & nature. Nothing beats the food chain laid down by a millennium of evolution.

Most fish farms feed pellets of ground fish byproducts (the leftover carcasses of other fish, mostly skeletal /skin, and mainly from tuna, a fish known for high concentration of toxins) so that's how they have high concentrations of contaminants in farmed fish.

It's business, and you must already know that profit is the main driving factor, and low overhead (cheap feed) is a big part of that equation. So doing anything publicity wise to make what they do look good is what they're going to do.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Fair enough

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most fish farms feed pellets of ground fish byproducts (the leftover carcasses of other fish, mostly skeletal /skin, and mainly from tuna, a fish known for high concentration of toxins) so that's how they have high concentrations of contaminants in farmed fish.
Maybe the memo should get out to Salmon Queen. She’s allegedly been eating pounds of farmed salmon daily for years.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Farmed fish + toxic yields a slew of articles from animal rights groups. I haven’t found anything from academic sources that support the idea that farmed fish is toxic for human health. There are concerns and a multitude studies that examine contaminant levels but nothing rises to the level of “toxic - do not eat” (with the exception of large predatory fish like shark). At least, nothing as damning as the studies showing meat with respect to carcinogens or similar “big cattle,” “big poultry,” and “big pork” studies that cite similar concerns. Not being contrarian, just think calling a food toxic is a serious accusation.

Why would fish be any different than beef, chicken, pork, eggs, etc when it comes to nutritional profiles and pro-inflammatory compounds related to farmed versus free range organic?

Animals that cannot move properly and don't eat their normal diet are no different than humans that sit around all day. It negatively effects your entire body leading to pro-inflammatory compounds being much more prevalent.

They may not have "proof" this is the case with fish, but instinctively we should know that is the case.

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

FYI salmon is naturally pink not orange.

... and if that doesn't clear things up for you, just take a look at the actual creature.