US needs to take lessons from Europe regarding drastically lowering homicide rate

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi BackInTheGame,
"....all the technology you use today that has been a direct result of the US Military and Department of Defense spending and research".... "GPS, microwaves, the Internet,Jet engines, satellites, etc.." Really? all the technology?that's absurd,even looking at the few you mention,
far from Europe being the recipient of US invention,mostly it is the reverse case...Let's look at Jet engines: Frank Whittle took out the patent on these,the Germans built the first Jet Planes,the Brits the first Jet Engined passenger Planes.
Satellites:Here the Germans were our pioneers.At the end of WW2 it was a question of whether Russias German V2 Scientists or,the US ones put the first Satellite in orbit,in the event Sputnic won the day.
Microwaves:The first Microwave oven was called "RadaRange"as it was a direct result of Radar Technology a British development.
GPS:Without Satellites it's not really viable,is it?
Internet:Wouldn't have been possible without Computer technology,neither Babbidge nor Turing worked for the US....Your Scientists stood on the shoulders of Giants!
You're effectively claiming Charles Babbage gets credit for the internet, which is more absurd than giving DARPA credit. Similarly, SpaceX doesn't owe Sputnik a debt of gratitude - that's exaggerating the influence of sputnik on global positioning.

Examples of jet engines and microwaves are more reasonable, and are enough to make your point about technology from outside the U.S.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Oke. We agree to disagree. You like the USA I don't. Some people like Voljswagen some like Opel.

My point is that imo it ain't all as innocent as you sketch it. And that the US cab learn alot from certain European countries to become a better place. That's my point .

And if I'm not mistaken the actual OP had a similar point before The Patriotic Army chimed in as usual, defending all American policies instead of being capable of having a critical look in the mirror. And the latter is exactly why it's going to shyte.
If the EU wants to celebrate living a mediocre existence and hold that as the standard people should aim for in their life then that's fine.

The US doesn't.

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
U.S. homicide rates, by race:
Black: 10,470 (12.5% of U.S. population)
White: 7,704 (61.6% of U.S. population)

The remedy for all this is likely more simple than anyone has realized: Fill our ghettos with state-of-the art firearms(Instead of the Saturday Night Special those boneheads are currently reliant on), then let Pookie, Ray Ray, Shaquanda, and Darisha slaughter each other off. The decent folks in these areas will finally be incentivized to flee these sections of America, instead of concocting rationalizations for remaining out of civilization

I'm hardly the first person to propose a strategy along these lines https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a162/esq1206blackessay-108/

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
IME that is all relative to the local cost of living and quality of life. Even within the U.S. it varies.
Average income is 4500 a month in the US and 2800 a month in France.

Are you telling me it's 1700 a month cheaper to live in France? I find it hard to believe with gas being $9+ a gallon.

The unemployment rate in the EU is at 6.5% and that's considered good... the US it hovers somewhere around 3.5% most months.

Last edited:

Vanderdonck

Don Juan
Reaction score

Are you telling me it's 1700 a month cheaper to live in France? I find it hard to believe with gas being $9+ a gallon.
Can't speak for France but where I live it is much, much cheaper. Even on 2,000/month one can live very well. I would guess 2,800 in France would be very good outside of big cities like Paris. Also when measuring salaries one should consider time spent working.

Since coming to Europe I make far less and have more assets and live much better. Not to say people don't have struggles of course. Groceries, nightlife, transportation, and yes health care and education are all substantially less than in the US. Housing is more relative to the local economy. Clothing can be more. There some sites where you can compare the cost of living between cities, they're kind of fun to play with.

On balance I don't find it mediocre, but mileage (or kilometerage, whatever) will vary.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score

The unemployment rate in the EU is at 6.5% and that's considered good... the US it hovers somewhere around 3.5% most months.
Getting back to The OP: What lessons do you think The US can learn from Europe, so as to reduce our murder rates?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Getting back to The OP: What lessons do you think The US can learn from Europe, so as to reduce our murder rates?
Stricter gun control laws for one and getting rid of guns whose only purpose is to kill a lot of people quickly like assault rifles. Common sense things that logically would be hard to argue against other than by people with agendas in the gun industry and NRA.

Who the hell takes an assault rifle out deer hunting?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Someone who doesn't want to get killed and eaten by a pack of wild hogs.
Hi Bibles,
Some of the Guys might think you are joking....Old Hermit up the back of my place never came in for his groceries...Months later,some hunters found his Boots with his feet still in them....Before the Fires I saw tuskers,seemed the size of 44 Gallon drums!

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm hardly the first person to propose a strategy along these lines https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a162/esq1206blackessay-108/
Just read the article, and these quotes stand out:

"The final count of those "fifteen since '95"? Twelve had threatened arresting officers' lives with some type of weapon before they were killed."
"Three days of chaos. Nearly $4 million in damage to the city, most of it in predominantly black areas that could ill afford economic downturn. Record levels of homicides, particularly among blacks, as the police, hamstrung by new rules of engagement, could no longer effectively protect the very people who had demonized them."

Similarly, some "Black Lives Matter" victims were flawed. The BLM protests resulted less policing of Black neighborhoods, which resulted in more homicides. The police don't want to be the villain, so they stay away. Statistica shows 229 Blacks were killed by police in 2022, compared to over 10,000 homicides of Black lives.

In a weak attempt to be on topic, I believe parts of London experienced something similar with refugees and policing.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Stricter gun control laws for one and getting rid of guns whose only purpose is to kill a lot of people quickly like assault rifles. Common sense things that logically would be hard to argue against other than by people with agendas in the gun industry and NRA.

Who the hell takes an assault rifle out deer hunting?
At best that is a 3% solution.

"In 2020, the most recent year for which the FBI has published data, handguns were involved in 59% of the 13,620 U.S. gun murders and non-negligent manslaughters for which data is available. Rifles – the category that includes guns sometimes referred to as “assault weapons” – were involved in 3% of firearm murders."

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Please explain this https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...cans-cannot-afford-1000-emergency-expense.amp

Life and cost of lving is engineered in such a way that people on welfare can even get by fairly easy.

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
Just read the article, and these quotes stand out:

"The final count of those "fifteen since '95"? Twelve had threatened arresting officers' lives with some type of weapon before they were killed."
"Three days of chaos. Nearly $4 million in damage to the city, most of it in predominantly black areas that could ill afford economic downturn. Record levels of homicides, particularly among blacks, as the police, hamstrung by new rules of engagement, could no longer effectively protect the very people who had demonized them."

Similarly, some "Black Lives Matter" victims were flawed. The BLM protests resulted less policing of Black neighborhoods, which resulted in more homicides. The police don't want to be the villain, so they stay away. Statistica shows 229 Blacks were killed by police in 2022, compared to over 10,000 homicides of Black lives.

Visit this thread sometime https://www.sosuave.net/forum/threads/benign-neglect-and-the-modern-man.282480/ Similar observations can be made regarding that portion of the male population that isn't doing well at the moment

More men are being killed by the police than women? Well, it just so happens that a large percentage(if not the majority)of these fellas attacked the cops prior to being blasted full of holes, often times with a weapon

Men make up a disproportionate number of our nation's dope fiends and video game addicts? Whatever tragedies those dudes experienced in childhood, today they're choosing to shoot up in reaction to some external event they find upsetting, rather than grabbing themselves an ice cream sundae, and to remain glued to the damned X-Box instead of taking up dart throwing, calligraphy, or yoga

Many men are at the bottom of the socioecomic ladder? As was pointed out earlier in this thread https://www.sosuave.net/forum/threa...ring-homicide-rate.282454/page-2#post-3123345
There's no shortage of blue collar jobs(Mechanics, HVAC technicians, roofers, construction, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, auto workers etc)that pay well, and many will train men with no experience because they are desperate for reliable employees. Whatever systemic problems exist which disproportionately affect men, our larger problem today is that we have entirely too many fellas who, when presented with these opportunities, respond with words to the effect of:

"That's nice, but saying Yes to such things means that I'll have to spend a few hours per day training for a profession. That means I'll have to miss Midnight's Edge's three hour screeds on how Kathleen Kennedy is ruining Star Wars, and watching that crap, instead of investing in things that will enrich my material existence long-term, is what's REALLY important to me"

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
At best that is a 3% solution
Yeah, the real way out of is this is quite simple, albeit not easy: The folks who live in murder-ridden enclaves of The US can start behaving like sane, rational humans, rather than rabid chimpanzees. Only the later bunch resort to homicide over the latest pair of Nikes and the like

We needn't rely on the government to remedy something that really isn't even a problem of law or policy