Tipping

MisterNigma

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright Buddy Boy.

oakraiderz2 said:
EDIT: Go back and read youre previous post. Also, you dont know me, sport.
What exactly in my post don't you understand? At no point in your replies did you indicate what kind of school you attend...

As far as knowing you. Buddy boy, at this point I don't want to know you. From what I can see through your online persona, you aren't that fun to be around.

I do know what you said so far on this thread though. Most if it is an incoherent rant. You keep replying, but there is very little substance to your replies.

-E.Nigma

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok mother****ers some of you got your heads so stuck up in your asses it is unreal.

First of all, how a person tips is a VERY good indicator of character - there is no argument against this. Cheap tippers usually have some kind of elitist attitude and suck.

I don't care what you think about tipping me a dollar for every drink I make. You think making drinks is easy ****? Try making 4 sex on the beaches while making two captain cokes and having a full bar yet to server. Mother****er you want good service you gonna need to step your game up. Like I said, you will wait A LOOOOOONG time if you continuously do not tip. And don't roll your lip out, this is the way it works in this game. You think you are special? I got 100 other people who will tip me, free market buddy.

I can't even believe this is a discussion. A bunch of broke ass lame ass I am above tipping. Man those with money actually tip much more, so I don't know wtf you on. I'm glad this is a thread though. Shows who here clearly sucks at life

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MisterNigma said:
What exactly in my post don't you understand? At no point in your replies did you indicate what kind of school you attend...

As far as knowing you. Buddy boy, at this point I don't want to know you. From what I can see through your online persona, you aren't that fun to be around.

I do know what you said so far on this thread though. Most if it is an incoherent rant. You keep replying, but there is very little substance to your replies.

-E.Nigma
Uh ok...anything else? Because i get pissed cause people dont think they need to tip im not fun to be around? Nice. Sorry im getting a little heated from people like you. Everyone should make 30k...everyone. Look at Oxides reply, he got pissed just as i did, give him sh*t. I really dont feel like going back and copying sh*t to show you your fallacies. But heres a little example; you said if one can post on a online forum they can make 30k, if not theyre lazy. But you then said anyone out of college should make that much. You know im in college, if i was in hs at 20 im pretty sure i wouldnt be using a computer, id probably be on drugs with 3 kids. Youre incredibly ignorant as i can see. And you say tipping has nothing to do with character. And just so you know, when i did serve i got tipped really well. What i post in this topic that i feel strongly about in response to cheap pricks who feel that they dont need to tip people cause other people do. Thats kinda like saying...fvck poor people, they need to get a job, they dont deserve any help. Thats how I see it. Youre not better than anyone, sorry to burst your bubble.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
But when you walk into a restaurant, sit down, and receive service, you have put yourself in the situation of owing a tip for that service.

A major misconception about restaurants is that they are service businesses. Restaurants are, in fact, manufacturing businesses. From a business-to-business perspective, payment for goods received completes the transaction. Gratuity is "an award (as for meritorious service) given without claim or obligation". Gratuity is not required and, in most cases, is not necessary. Gratuity is a reward mechanism that can be engaged by customers who go above and beyond the social expectations of customers. Similarly, meritorious service is not required. Workers do not have to provide service that deserves reward or praise, and many do not, but they do have to satisfy the requirements of their job. I'm a customer who prefers straight transactions. Workers that go out of their way for customers that prefer straight transactions are simply barking up the wrong trees. They're selling to the wrong market. Don't blame your customer if your sales pitch doesn't work. To bring this out of the tipping context, don't blame the girl if your charms don't work.

The Fair Labor Standards Act mandates a minimum wage, but employers are free to offer higher wages. FLSA does not require employers to pay just $2.13 per hour in direct wages. They can pay more! When workers choose jobs for which employers do not fairly compensate (i.e., more than the bare minimum), or when employees choose to retain jobs for which employers do not fairly compensate, then the burden of receiving fair wages is on the employees and the burden of providing fair wages is on the employers.

I believe everyone selects their own path in life, and I don't hold their selection against them. They made their decisions, and as a matter of character, I respect their decisions. The choices in life that are yours to make are not mine.

I'm done with this thread. Many of you are out of control, throwing ad hominem comments left and right. Learn how to discuss an issue without becoming incivil. It'll do you good. Those who are flaming others have been added to my Ignore List.

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Whoa, just because I don't like the idea of tipping doesn't mean I don't tip. I tip well, not because you deserve it, but because I know that if I don't then I'll get ****ty service.

I don't like the idea of paying taxes, but I still do it. I don't do it because I think the government deserves this much of my money, I do it because I know it'll make things easier for me. Much like tipping.

Yea, girl, I understand your job can be fast paced. As it turns out, my job gets fast paced too. And so does most everyone else's job. Bartenders are not special in that respect. If you don't make enough money, blame your boss.

jlr12584

Don Juan
Reaction score
u dumbasses still dont get the concept. our job as waiters and bartenders is paid heavily by the customers in tips. the restaurant will not pay more because if they did, the price of your food would be that much more higher. you dont have to tip: you can be a jerk if u want sure. but when someone is at ur command and does whatever u need done, dont u feel at least a little obligated to reward them? i just dont understand how you think its ok for these people to wash ur feet and kiss ur ass in a metaphorical sense, and then not get anything in return. come on people, we all live together in society. treat ur fellow man with a little respect.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most servers get paid less than minimum wage, and DEPEND on tips in order to make any sort of income. If they got paid well, and didn't need tips, then you'd get sh*tty service because they wouldn't give a f*ck how you like your food.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If she sucked my c*ck, I wouldn't pay sh*t. I don't pay for play. That IS her payment.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Demon said:
A major misconception about restaurants is that they are service businesses. Restaurants are, in fact, manufacturing businesses.
Do you have anything to back that up other than your own assertion? The rest of the world views restaurants as part of the service sector.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Here in Calif, I just take the amount of tax, which is usually around 8%, and double that.

Bartenders and Waitresses at bars/clubs get tipped well by me as it tends to speed up the process, especially if it's busy.

And they have long memories.

Bartenders have remembered me from a year ago or longer, and even remembered what I like to drink.

Helps with social proof as well, when you approach a crowded bar and the barteneder spots you and asks if you would like a ( insert name of your favorite adult drink here )

And yes, if you're going to be a cheapazz, stay home.

Wait people have long memories, and if you stiff them, expect lousy service.

Perhaps even a hidden "surprise" in your food or drink.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Do you have anything to back that up other than your own assertion?
Yes. It's called the supply chain.

I once believed that restaurants were service businesses. One of my accounting professors stated that restaurants are actually classified as manufacturers. I argued against his point, but once I realized that the business of a restaurant centers on the kitchen, it was obvious.

The dining area is the services aspect of the restaurant business to which we can easily relate. Most of us are customers, after all, and we never deal with what goes on behind the scenes. We interface with the restaurant through the dining area. The dining area is where we transact business. The dining area is the retailing and distribution channel of a restaurant, but the magic happens in the kitchen. That's where the food is manufactured.

Some restaurants are not manufacturers, however, because no products are actually created in the kitchen. They're simply processed and prepared for customers. These restaurants are legitimate service businesses because they are performing the role of a retailer.

Interestingly, tips are not expected at certain restaurants. When's the last time you tipped the cashier at McDonald's?

DJ_in_making

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A bunch of AFC's not getting laid choose to project it on waiters/waitresses. Come on tip them guys, its not their fault y'all aren't getting booty. :eek:

Slevin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Most servers get paid less than minimum wage, and DEPEND on tips in order to make any sort of income. If they got paid well, and didn't need tips, then you'd get sh*tty service because they wouldn't give a f*ck how you like your food.
No you wouldn't. If they did their jobs poorly, they would be fired like anyone else.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The dining area is the retailing and distribution channel of a restaurant, but the magic happens in the kitchen. That's where the food is manufactured.

Some restaurants are not manufacturers, however, because no products are actually created in the kitchen.

Food is created on farms. Restaurants buy food, and then offer the service of preparing and serving that food to you.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/05/news/economy/ism_services.reut/index.htm

"The services sector makes up about 80 percent of U.S. economy activity and includes businesses like restaurants, hotels, hair salons, banks and airlines."

And yes, fast food does not require tipping, but that's why they start workers at $8-10 an hour instead of $2/ hr.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Demon said:
Interestingly, tips are not expected at certain restaurants. When's the last time you tipped the cashier at McDonald's?
Nice, comparing McDonalds to a place like Ruby Tuesday, an attempt to justify the fact that you REFUSE to tip. Even though theyre both "restaurants", theyre not really in the same category and you know that. Whens the last time you tipped a cashier anywhere?

No you wouldn't. If they did their jobs poorly, they would be fired like anyone else.
Doubt it. Its kinda like a customer who b*tches about the food, a cook might do a little something to it and no one will know. If you have a good relationship with management you can get away with a lot. Knowing youre not gonna get tipped changes a lot. You will get bad service. Most people wont tell the manager cause theyre punks, and if they do the server will probably have their own story. Whether or not you all want to except it, tipping at a place like the olive garden is an expectation of or culture. You kids are such rebels.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you like your drinks strong? Your food warm? Your car parked without dings? Then shut the **** up

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
*im a server at a japanese restaurant*

tip is usually 15% of the total cost of your meal.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Food is created on farms. Restaurants buy food, and then offer the service of preparing and serving that food to you.
A restaurant is a business. Businessess sell products. What are the products of a restaurant? No, not just "food". Restaurants use the ingredients that farms manufacture to create new products. (According to NAICS, manufacturing is defined as the business in which establishments are "engaged in the mechanical, physical, or chemical transformation of materials, substances, or components into new products.") These products are often called meals. It's also obvious that restaurants are producers just by the terminology used in the business. An order (also called a purchase order) is "a commercial document used to request someone to supply something in return for payment and providing specifications and quantities." That's largely a term used in manufacturing. In fact, chefs are formally referred to as "food manufacturers".

Bible_Belt said:
"The services sector makes up about 80 percent of U.S. economy activity and includes businesses like restaurants, hotels, hair salons, banks and airlines."
I'm not talking about economics. The reason why businesses are classified into manufacturing and service sectors is tax laws. I'm talking about the actual functions of a business. If you wanted to talk about the economics, Dr. Popkin at the Williamsburg Conference in 1991 suggested that "a restaurant, for example, might look more like a food manufacturing plant than a retail store, when viewed from the production function approach." The notion of restaurants as manufacturers from an economics perspective is not entirely new. From an economics perspective, businesses (such as bakeries) that produce for inventory rather than immediate consumption are classified into the food manufacturing subsector. But I'm not talking about economics because it doesn't matter (in the context of the issue of gratuity) whether restaurants are classified as service businesses. There are also many, many other types of (pure) service businesses, such as staffing and consulting, that do not carry any expectation of gratuity.

jlr12584

Don Juan
Reaction score
translate demon's explanation into english and we have come up with these results: "im a cheap *******"

MisterNigma

Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn to Read.

oakraiderz2 said:
Uh ok...anything else? Because i get pissed cause people dont think they need to tip im not fun to be around? Nice. Sorry im getting a little heated from people like you. Everyone should make 30k...everyone. Look at Oxides reply, he got pissed just as i did, give him sh*t. I really dont feel like going back and copying sh*t to show you your fallacies. But heres a little example; you said if one can post on a online forum they can make 30k, if not theyre lazy. But you then said anyone out of college should make that much. You know im in college, if i was in hs at 20 im pretty sure i wouldnt be using a computer, id probably be on drugs with 3 kids. Youre incredibly ignorant as i can see. And you say tipping has nothing to do with character. And just so you know, when i did serve i got tipped really well. What i post in this topic that i feel strongly about in response to cheap pricks who feel that they dont need to tip people cause other people do. Thats kinda like saying...fvck poor people, they need to get a job, they dont deserve any help. Thats how I see it. Youre not better than anyone, sorry to burst your bubble.
I hate having to rehash things again, but it seems I have little choice.

oakraiderz2 said:
I really dont feel like going back and copying sh*t to show you your fallacies.
^^^Well, that's a little strange, you rant without a point, but when it comes to making an actual point, you suddenly don't feel like it?

oakraiderz2 said:
But heres a little example; you said if one can post on a online forum they can make 30k, if not theyre lazy.
^^^Yes, I thoughts I went over this part already, but apparently it takes a while for things to sink in with you. Any male who has a sufficient intellect to go online, and post on this forum, has in my opinion sufficient skills to make at least 30k a year. Do I have to repeat myself again?

oakraiderz2 said:
But you then said anyone out of college should make that much.
^^^No I didn't say that, but it's a moot point. Anyone with half a brain and a college degree should be able to make a lot more then 30k a year.

oakraiderz2 said:
You know im in college, if i was in hs at 20 im pretty sure i wouldnt be using a computer, id probably be on drugs with 3 kids.
^^^No I don't know if you're in college, I'm not psychic, and whenever possible I choose not to make assumptions. At the present time high school kids are very internet savvy. I don't know if you noticed but there is actually a separate forum for high school kids on here. As far as being 20 and in highschool, that's a disctinct possibility, many kids graduate when they are 18, 19, or 20. I think it's a bit arrogant of you to assume that anyone 20 and in highschool is on drugs and saddled with kids. (btw, I graduated at 17, most people graduate at 18 or 19.)

oakraiderz2 said:
Youre incredibly ignorant as i can see.
^^^What exactly am I being ignorant of?

oakraiderz2 said:
And you say tipping has nothing to do with character.
^^^I NEVER said that. If you bothered to read my posts in this thread you'd see I actually support tipping. Unlike you however I am willing to at least try to see things from different perspectives. STOP ASSUMING START READING! Just a word of advice, when you aSSume you make as a$$ of yourself.

oakraiderz2 said:
And just so you know, when i did serve i got tipped really well.
^^^Well good for you. Considering your posts I have a hard time believing this, but good for you.

oakraiderz2 said:
What i post in this topic that i feel strongly about in response to cheap pricks who feel that they dont need to tip people cause other people do. Thats kinda like saying...fvck poor people, they need to get a job, they dont deserve any help. Thats how I see it.
^^^Finally something we can agree on. You'd know that I agree, if you actually bothered to read my posts and think.

oakraiderz2 said:
Youre not better than anyone, sorry to burst your bubble.
^^^ Did I ever say I was better? No I didn't. In fact I'm not, which is exactly why I think anyone can work as well as I do, and make a good living. As far as burst bubbles go, I think your ego is about to burst. Either that or one of your blood vessels, happy brain aneurysm!

oakraiderz2 said:
Look at Oxides reply, he got pissed just as i did, give him sh*t.
^^^His replies are to the thread, not to my posts specifically. Your replies started with alot of attitude towards a question specifically in my post.

Frankly I'm annoyed at having to regurgitate the obvious to you, AGAIN. If you have a legitimate argument to make, then do it. Stop replying with nonsense rants.

-E.Nigma