Tipping

white cloud 8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been told by one of my friends that when tipping (at the bar/restaurant) whatever the cost is, you should divide the cost by 4, then round off to the next even number.

What do others think of this method?

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
white cloud 8 said:
Hi,

I've been told by one of my friends that when tipping (at the bar/restaurant) whatever the cost is, you should divide the cost by 4, then round off to the next even number.

What do others think of this method?
Move the decimal point one points to the left and multiply by 2 (if very good service). Or simply move one points to the left and then ADD 1/2 of that (if normal service). That's applicable for restaurants in the U.S. and NOT in Europe.

Last edited:

white cloud 8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
Move the decimal point two points to the left and multiply by 2 (if very good service). Or simply move two points to the left and then ADD 1/2 of that (if normal service). That's applicable for restaurants in the U.S. and NOT in Europe.

Is what I'm doing adequate?

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tip $5 no matter what and you'll never go broke. Unless your meal cost less than $5, than dont bother tipping.

^ sarcasm

Usually the rules are: 10% for standard service, 15% for above average, 20% for excellent service, 25-35% if youre trying to get her phone number.

white cloud 8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
Tip $5 no matter what and you'll never go broke. Unless your meal cost less than $5, than dont bother tipping.

^ sarcasm

Usually the rules are: 10% for standard service, 15% for above average, 20% for excellent service, 25-35% if youre trying to get her phone number.

I'm sorry but, how would 10%, 15%, 20% and 25%-35% translate into amount? or would I just divide those percentages into the cost?

*I'm only familiar with the way I've been told* :whistle:

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:

^ sarcasm

Average is actually 17-18%. I can stand when people tip 10% when its busy as hell and im running around sweating taking care of 5 other tables. Unless the server doesn something absolutely horrible, tip 20ish%. I also hate when people tip 5 on 80, fvck those people.

MisterNigma

Don Juan
Reaction score
It All Depends on the Service

Charm said:

^ sarcasm

I usually tip 15% as standard, and then lower or higher as the situation demands it.

Easy way to do the math. Move decimal over one place. Divide the result by 2 and multiply by 3. That gives 15%. Or just do the lazy thing and grab a calculator...

20.00 x .1= 2.00
2.00 / 2 = 1
1 * 3 = 3

So for a twenty dollar purchase I would tip 3 dollars.

In bars I typically tip $1 per drink, or more if it's an expensive drink.

-E.Nigma

P.S.-Never tip extra to get a number, you'll just set yourself up to be a sugar daddy. Do it to get good service next time though . . .

Mr_knowit_all

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a big tipper; generally in the 20, to 25 percent range. Sure if it's a good looking lady, it's going to be closer to the 25.

My question is: Why is it that restaunteurs get to charge outrageous prices for their food, then have their patrons become a major subsidy in paying their employees?

I really never understood that concept. I understand waiters are like independent contractors, but why? Why can't the fvcking owner pay these people a decent wage and do away with the tipping?

white cloud 8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, I am a very good tipper. Since I do frequent a couple of places for drinks/something to eat. The waitresses/bartenders know me so, I get discounts as well. Generally though, I am a good tipper at the places I frequent.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
white cloud 8 said:
I'm sorry but, how would 10%, 15%, 20% and 25%-35% translate into amount?
Uh, that's basic math. Multiply the cost by the percentage.

I don't tip at all. It's my money, I earned it, and they're getting paid to do a job. Their function as an employee of whatever business is to provide service at the performance levels expected of them by management. If they were volunteers, I'd tip them, but as far as I'm concerned if they're employed and they want more money, they can either get a raise, get promoted, or find another job.

Rastaman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Some places have services fee, I don't tip there. I generally give 15% of the total cost, except the service is exceptionally good. Tipping generally differ from one country to another though.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
Unless the server doesn something absolutely horrible, tip 20ish%.
I agree. Tipping, as well as treating service workers with respect, is a sign of class. And don't forget the pizza delivery guy. $1 doesn't cut it. $3-5 is right for the average pizza order.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Tipping, as well as treating service workers with respect, is a sign of class.
Tipping is not a sign of class. It's a sign of incurring needless financial losses. You don't gain from tipping people who already get paid for performing their jobs. You're not the employer. You're the customer. And you're leaving.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Demon said:
Tipping is not a sign of class. It's a sign of incurring needless financial losses. You don't gain from tipping people who already get paid for performing their jobs. You're not the employer. You're the customer. And you're leaving.
2.13 isnt really getting paid. I HATE people like you, cheap ass.

kryminal

Reaction score
Demon said:
Uh, that's basic math. Multiply the cost by the percentage.

I don't tip at all. It's my money, I earned it, and they're getting paid to do a job. Their function as an employee of whatever business is to provide service at the performance levels expected of them by management. If they were volunteers, I'd tip them, but as far as I'm concerned if they're employed and they want more money, they can either get a raise, get promoted, or find another job.
You idiot waiters/waitresses start out at lower then minimum wage. Their wages are calculated with the tips included not seperate. I hope they spit in your food and drinks.

Morphiex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kryminal said:
You idiot waiters/waitresses start out at lower then minimum wage. Their wages are calculated with the tips included not seperate. I hope they spit in your food and drinks.
lol yeah .. their income is dependent on tips...

rjones

Don Juan
Reaction score
I tip $1-2 at most if food and service is good. If not I'm keeping my dollar.

MisterNigma

Don Juan
Reaction score
It Amazes Me...

It sipmly amazes me how cheap people can be.

Fact: Most waiters are Tip dependent. Often times the tips for the day are actually pooled and split among the staff.

Most of these people work rather hard, and get paid at or below minimum, so they need the tip. In the Unites States the whole idea of tipping is completely idiotic.

Americans tend to tip alot more then any other social group out there. As a result the economic system developed whereby most wait staff are dependent on tips in order to make their living.

The most moronic issue of this, is that in many cases, it is rare for the same person in interact with the same staff member in the same restaurant on more then one occasion.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you want good service, tip up front. You have a date you want to impress, slip the waiter a $20 before sitting down. Most waiters make a judgement call, who's gonna tip well and who isn't. By tipping upfront, you eliminate the need to worry about service.

I only do this on rare need-based occasions, but otherwise, I always tip 15% for decent service, and more for good service.

Now here is a dilemma I do have at times. Should your tips to the waiter be affected by the quality of the food?

-E.Nigma