The official Acne thread [Merged threads]

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
is that like oxy?
cause the oxy didnt seem to work that well for us
No no,it's the Clearasil stuff you rub onto your zits,it's worked wonders for me.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thursday said:
I'm in my early twenties and would have thought by now that spots wouldn't be such a problem. They arn't that bad, but it's always annoying when I develop a spot on my face before a date or social event.

Anyone in the UK know of a good cream for preventing/clearing spots?

Clean and Clear? Clearasil? Need recommendations on which works best along with any others?
creams treat the symptoms, not the cause

1) quit the junk food
2) lower dairy intake
3) eat veggies & fruit
4) drink more

Number 1 & 2 will make a huge difference.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You may also want to ask your kid how often he touches his face and you may want to change his pillow case more often.

wildinthenorth

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wash your pillow cases and sheets. I'm guessing you might use gel, hair spray etc. This and oils build up on sheets and pillow cases within a week! Keep them clean and use the face washs mentioned above. Should help!

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
we tried clearasil and it helped for a little while but wasnt a big enough help to brag on. my child doesnt use hair spray or gel yet, he isnt into that as a 6th grader.
he eats healthy, not a whole lot of fast or fried food. he gets some dairy but not more than what you are suppose to have as a daily requirement and he eats fruits and veggies daily.
he totally freaks out if i see a zit and walk over and ummm pop it. starts in on his whole "please dont touch my face mom, you arent suppose to handle your face and that stuff causes more zits."
so i dont think hes touching his face. he changes his sheets and pillowcases often.
he isnt a crater face kid or nothing... he is just 13 and i guess it is normal for everyone to go thru a phase where they get some zits.

its just that they are all on the forehead and up in the hair line. i never saw anyone get them up in the hairline before.
when he is out playing ball and gets sweaty , i notice them even more.
i always remind him that when pe is over he needs to go wash his face off from sweating.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
we tried clearasil and it helped for a little while but wasnt a big enough help to brag on. my child doesnt use hair spray or gel yet, he isnt into that as a 6th grader.
he eats healthy, not a whole lot of fast or fried food. he gets some dairy but not more than what you are suppose to have as a daily requirement and he eats fruits and veggies daily.
he totally freaks out if i see a zit and walk over and ummm pop it. starts in on his whole "please dont touch my face mom, you arent suppose to handle your face and that stuff causes more zits."
so i dont think hes touching his face. he changes his sheets and pillowcases often.
he isnt a crater face kid or nothing... he is just 13 and i guess it is normal for everyone to go thru a phase where they get some zits.

its just that they are all on the forehead and up in the hair line. i never saw anyone get them up in the hairline before.
when he is out playing ball and gets sweaty , i notice them even more.
i always remind him that when pe is over he needs to go wash his face off from sweating.
Could be a food allergy, remove from his diet:
* dairy
* eggs
* corn
* soy
* wheat
* seafood

See if it clears up. If it doesn't, could be an imbalance in the intestinal flora. Look into probiotics.

Consult an Naturopath or Acupuncturist. Good book on the topic: Healing Skin Disorders (Andrew Gaeddert).

Face skin is sensitive. Spare your kid all the chemical (peeling) substances. It might fix his conditions, but bring new ones (rosacea, dermatitis,...)

Good luck.

Mage Xtil

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your not the only one with weird spots on their face. I have had acne since I was about 12, I have done different acne treatments before. (probably about 3 or 4 different ones that Docs have prescribed) Now I don't really have out breaks at age 21 but I always seem to have some small spots that appear and disappear over the course of a few weeks. They just seem to move around my face :( , like I can't full get rid of it.

Anyway I'm now always making sure to wash my hands before I wash my face, since when I use a cloth just the rubbing of it seems to do more harm, so I just use my hands to wash my face. I'm also trying to change pillow cases pretty often and keeping my hair shorter, out of my face and washed. I suppose a moisturizer would also do some good I'm told.

PS Anyone know if there are men's concealer or something to slightly cover up the red marks? (Sends shivers up my spine just saying that :p)

Xtil

Mjazz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
definitely change diet, that is a HUGE part of acne. Look into doing an internal cleanse acne.org has great info.
That really sucks that he get acne on the forehead, some people get it on the cheeks only, some like me on the forehead only, thats the worst. The best I guess would be the ones who get it on the chin.

dot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
Could be a food allergy, remove from his diet:
* dairy
* eggs
* corn
* soy
* wheat
* seafood

See if it clears up. If it doesn't, could be an imbalance in the intestinal flora. Look into probiotics.

Consult an Naturopath or Acupuncturist. Good book on the topic: Healing Skin Disorders (Andrew Gaeddert).

Face skin is sensitive. Spare your kid all the chemical (peeling) substances. It might fix his conditions, but bring new ones (rosacea, dermatitis,...)

Good luck.
I agree. Don't buy all that chemical, made-in-a-lab ****, that just causes more problems. At least half the problems today are caused by **** we made. Go for the natural solution.

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Acne.html

A good example of this is my mild allergies to pollen and probably dust mites too. I found out about buying local honey. I picked up a jar of local (a city very close by, unfiltered, uncooked, unblended, all natural) of it for less than $5. It's lasted almost a month now. The only time I had any allergies was a day when I forgot to eat some honey in the morning.

PS: Yes Im not exactly practicing what I preach. I've used Stridex pads for the past 2 years, but I'm not buying any more. They don't even help that much.

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, I don;t know if this stuff is available in the UK, but it should be. My folks are from a carribean commonwealth( so it should be avalible to the UK) and my mom is always telling me to put this cream on my face at night, and sure enough it did the job..i'll get the name tonight, and post it

Zerix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Acne & Diet

Ok, I don't get too many breakouts, I'd say biggest problem are the old marks, but anyways, it's really bugging me, and I was wondering what kinda foods are known to cause acne? I heard Dairy plays a role, true? That would really suck because I love and need my milk hah.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zerix said:
I heard Dairy plays a role, true? That would really suck because I love and need my milk hah.
I doubt it. I drink 1/2 gallon of milk a day and at least 1 piece of cheese and may face is more clear then it ever has been.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes dairy does cause it for some people and me. So dose wheat. I'm slightly allergic to both.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
Yes dairy does cause it for some people and me. So dose wheat. I'm slightly allergic to both.
Whoa I didn't know wheat could cause someone to break out! Makes sense,I used to pound down at least a half a loaf of wheat bread and my face used to break out. Knowledge is power!

Zerix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hm the only bread I eat NOW is organic, whole wheat (get at Trader Joe's or Ralphs).

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cow Milk isn't natural. It was thousands of years ago that a gene mutated, and we can now drink lactose. Even to this day, majority of people are lactose intolerant. Besides people of European descent, majority of people are in fact lactose intolerant. Which makes sense that we're all to a degree intolerant to it. I haven't drank milk in a couple of weeks, and I have fewer pimples (I'm also not taking that crap Solodyn that my derm gave me, but that's a different story).

flnazrael

Don Juan
Reaction score
It is the gluten in wheat products that causes some people's allergic reactions and/or breakouts.

bling, how is that Solodyn working out? I have some kind of weird acne where there is slight reddening/scarring deep beneath the skin long after the bump is gone. I've been wanting to see a dermatologist but it's gonna be so fvcking expensive...