The new archetype Roman( the average guy that has trouble finding women)

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have to remember in 2008-2012 social media wasn't what it was now, yes women compared themselves to other women but they only had their social circle to compare themselves too. Women were far more realistic when it came to their expectations and standards.
Women's standards are less realistic now than they were in the 2008-2012 era.

2008-2012 was before swipe apps. Some women were using dating websites like Okcupid, Plenty of Fish, and Match in that time. The women on dating websites in 2008-2012 had unrealistic standards because their inboxes were flooded with men. However, fewer women used dating websites which required using a computer for the most part then. Apps put it all on their smartphones. Noew, women's swipe queues are flooded and a larger % of women experience abundance. A larger % of Game now starts behind an electronic screen as compared to the 2008-2012 recessionary era.

Women are also getting more social media DMs than 2008-2012. Some women were getting DMs on Facebook then but it was less volume than the DMs on Instagram in more recent years. It was possible to DM on other platforms in 2008-2012 (Twitter, LinkedIn) and still possible now to use X (formerly Twitter) and LinkedIn for DMs. The X/LinkedIn DM volume for women in recent years is higher than it was in the 2008-2012 era.

In 2024 I've noticed when I date women 30+ now money comes up right away.
In 2008-2012, you were still in your 20s and not pursuing women 30+. 30+ women in the 2008-2012 era would have considered money then and it would have come up right away with them then too. Women 30+ tend to be more of provider hunters.

As I mentioned before during the recession, I was a broke kid in my early to mid-20s. I had to get a 2nd job just to make ends meet. However, dating was cheaper, tons of places that had"Happy Hours" Some of these were nice places too, the Happy Hours were affordable and you could get some awesome deals at dive bars. In 2010 for example there was this bar downtown in my area that had 3-4-1's this was unheard of even at the time. In the college bars they had nickel drinks! In 2024"Happy Hours" are a joke, $5 tap beer and $18 burgers! 10 years ago that would be $3 tap beer and $5 burgers!
Inflation has made coping with dating costs more difficult. In order to combat inflation, it might be a better tactic to go on fewer dates. Also, fewer nights out in order to arrange dates might even be an effort some daters would make in order to be more budget friendly.

Covid killed the best bars/clubs/restaurants in my city. Nightlife is a graveyard from 5 years ago, and compared to 2008 nightlife is a joke and a shell of it former self.
The pandemic only accelerated trends from the 2010s that were hurting nightlife venues.

Nightlife venues have changed dramatically since the 2010s started.

Prior to the late 2000s, a much larger % of people used nightlife venues to meet women for either short term casual sex (maybe even same night sex) or for first dates in the context of something that would be somewhat longer term and more committed. Nightlife venues made the introductions possible so long as men learned strategies and tactics to approach women in person.

Between 2012-2014, Tinder, Hinge, and Bumble all launched. Tinder had the quickest ascent in 2012-2013. The launch of the Big 3 dating apps meant more people were starting the interactions on their smartphones.

Nightlife venues became more of a thing for hosting early stage dates arranged on Tinder, Hinge, or Bumble. It's a different type of bar that is more suited for hosting app arranged dates as compared to a bar that is better suited for introducing new people.

A lot of bars got hurt in this change in the dating environment but bars are still going to be a thing for hosting app arranged dates.

if you're Gen-Z who a third are living with their parents and a lot of them are unemployed why would you date? in 2008 at least dating was afforable if you knew where to go and look. However in 2024 with inflation good luck trying to keep a date $50 or less. It's possible however the places that had great deals and ambiance IME don't exist anymore yes you can find $5 tap beer or even $3 but it's going to be from 3-5:30pm or 3-6pm most people are just getting off work at those hours. This makes it hard to date especially if you live in an area where "walks" are not possible from October-April cause of miserable cold weather. I'm not complaining but just painting the picture of the reality some of us face in the field.
I agree that it is getting more difficult to find good deals in early stage dating. It is a good idea for men to keep the dating costs low in the early stages.

Let's also talk about walks. There are places where outdoor walks are not likely to be a good idea from April 15 - October 15 due to summer heat. These are places like Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, and Miami-Fort Lauderdale. When I wrote the "Observations on Phoenix's Scene" thread, I mentioned this in the first post.

the point I'm trying to make is that the reason why Gen-Z women are cool with "Netflix and Chill" dates are because of the fact that most people in their 20s are broke. I would even say my dates with Gen-Z women in the last 5 years have been far cheaper than any other generation. I think women even Gen-Z women aren't wired to hook up. I have seen firsthand the damage it can do, when you see a woman who drinks the feminist kool aide and then is sobbing because she finds getting dicc down by different guys every month unfulfilling eventually women want more especially during times of economic uncertainty
"Netflix and Chill" got going in the early to mid 2010s with Millennials, as the oldest Gen Z's were still under 18 when it was first becoming a trend.

Gen Z has a different approach to sex than even Millennials had. Both Millennials and Gen Z have been having less sex than predecessor generations were having at similar ages. The incel/borderline incel group took off during the Millennial generation as a large portion of Millennials weren't having sex. In the Millennial generation, sex wasn't distributed close to equally. There was great inequality in sex with Millennials as a smaller percentage of Millennials were having most of the sex. That trend has continued into Gen Z.