Please help me. I'm a fat 23 year old and I don't want to be this way anymore

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Violent V said:
My motivation has wained recently regarding the weights every night.
That means you're done. Take a week off. Go biking, play some frisbee or something. Relax and gather yourself. Come back and hit it hard in a week.

Now as far as breakfast, Quiksilver is right. If you want to skimp out on food, breakfast is NOT the meal to do it! Cut out food any other meal you like, EXCEPT for breakfast. Its the most important meal of the day. You're also eating it when your metabolism is at its highest, so there's no worry of gaining weight.

There is absolutely no reason why your breakfast should be a 90 calorie snack.

BTW, congratulations on getting so far. Keep it up dude, you're doing great.

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Return of the V

Just as i was doing good, something extraordinary happens...

I suddenly had to jet off to a country on the otherside of the world for work just days after my last post, and only got back a few days ago.

The country i went to deals with food which is reknown for not being particularly healthy. And thats all they pretty much eat there.

So i have not taken any steps forward for the last few months, but actually gone back a few.

BUt i am back now and first thing i have vowed is to finish what i have started here.

I have stocked up on green tea, chicken, eggs, veg, salad and also purchased Thermabol pills to supplement the weight loss.

The key word really now is consistency. I will write that in every post everyday so as to remind myself of commitment. Also i am looking into the amount of grams and calories i am eating now instead of winging it, and will post these as well.

Finally, i quit HIIT a while ago as i have been warned by others about the damage it can do to your knees. If anything, i will make my cardio in the evenings as high-intensity as i possibly can without over-doing it.

I also now have a weight programme which i will follow.

Thanks again for ALL your support and and advice. I take on everything advised on-board, and look forward to providing some inspiration on these boards. :rockon:

V

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Diet:

Scrambled egg (73 cals, 6.7g protein, 5g fat)consisting of one Egg and some skimmed milk, with veg (50 cals, 2.7g protein) and a spoon of peanut butter for breakfast.

lunch one chicken breast (224 cals, 50g pro, 2.7g fat), with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, beans, sweetcorn, topped with some virgin oliver oil and a spoon of salad sauce.

Also had a bowl of Chicken soup (200 cals at most?)...

Dinner: Another chicken breast (224 cals, 50g pro, 2.7g fat), mushrooms, onions, and some lettuce.

2l water, 2l green tea.

No cheating so far, unless the soup is bad for you?

Cardio:

An hour of intense Boxing.

So i say that comes up to about 1000 cals, 109g protein and 20g of fat at most (chicken soup must have pushed it up a bit, and i have nto included three cod liver oil pills either) at most eaten today, which is definetely too low.

Tomorrow i add in an extra egg to the breakfast party, and maybe add a fruit in the mix as well during the morning for some fibre.

I don't think x6 eggs is ideal if i am trying to lose fat?

V

Last edited:

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday:

Diet:

Scrambled egg (x2 73 cals, 6.7g protein, 5g fat)consisting of x2 Egg and some skimmed milk, with veg (50 cals, 2.7g protein) and a spoon of peanut butter for breakfast.

lunch one chicken breast (224 cals, 50g pro, 2.7g fat), with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, beans, sweetcorn, topped with some virgin oliver oil and a spoon of salad sauce.

x2 Bananas (x2 95.0kcal, 23.2g carbs, 1.2g pro)

Dinner: Another chicken breast (224 cals, 50g pro, 2.7g fat), mushrooms, onions, and some lettuce.

2l water, 2l green tea.

A bit of cheating in the evening. I am not kicking myself over it though and lose motivation. If i remain consistent with changes OVERALL, then all should be good. But i will kick out the cheating eventually.

Cardio:

Two hours of football.

I have noticed why i have always done so much cardio and never been as lean as others. Its because i don't work as hard or move as much as others... I somply don't push myself i should be.

Half the time i find myself doing the bare minimum. So i need to start raising the intesnisty and beat myself up during these sessions, much like in the Boxing on Monday night. Its Thursday today and my arms are still aching from that...

V

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
CONSISTENCY

Wednesday:

Diet:

Scrambled egg (x2 73 cals, 6.7g protein, 5g fat)consisting of x2 Egg and some skimmed milk, with veg (50 cals, 2.7g protein) and a spoon of peanut butter for breakfast.

x2 Bananas (x2 95.0kcal, 23.2g carbs, 1.2g pro)

Dinner: Another chicken breast (224 cals, 50g pro, 2.7g fat), mushrooms, onions, and some salad.

2l water, 2l green tea.

Some more cheating in the evening, but hey i am getting back into it all, and will eventually kick it out. It seems to be down to lack of focus on goals/motivation as the day comes to an end. I need to take responsibility on the mental side of this all, and remind myself of all the benefits of making these changes during the evenings.

Cardio:

No cardio or weights tonight, as I had to go and watch my soccer team play in their EPL match.

V

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
doing great mate! Ive been following your log and you are sticking to it, well done! it will pay off!

stay motivated, stay the course. Millions of overweight people never bother to do anything about it and live short miserable lives as a result, you have faced the facts and are taking the nessecary steps to sort it out and get in shape, inspiring stuff!

best of luck,

Cure.

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Cure,

Most of the battle is in my head- trying to stay motivated and focused against the urge to default to being lazy and slack. I've not been as consistent as i would like to be. I keep starting well, as i have done today, and then falling off the rails by the weekend. New year now though, which means new opportunity!

CONSISTENCY

Monday:

Great day so far.

Diet:

Morning:

2 egg omelete (x2 73 cals, 6.7g protein, 5g fat), with veg (50 cals, 2.7g protein) and a can of tuna.

I divided this into two small meals, half of it after i got up at 6.30am, and the other half at 10.30am.

Lunch:

One and bit Chicken breast (224 cals, 50g pro, 2.7g fat), with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, rubab and sweetcorn, topped with some virgin olive oil. Couldn't finish it.

2 apples (not sure the stats on this. Will look into it tongiht.)

Dinner at 6.30pm will have more chicken and eggs.

2l litres of water/green tea.

Cardio:

Gonna push myself to boxing this evening. Get over the first hurdle, and the rest of the week will be easy!

Also i am getting a horrible feeling in my every time i have these thermabol pills- as if the pill is stuck in my throat and won't go down. Very strange, and does sometimes leave me feeling sick.

Peace

V

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday

CONSISTENCY

Diet

Again 2 egg omelete (x2 73 cals, 6.7g protein, 5g fat), with veg (50 cals, 2.7g protein) and a can of tuna.

again I divided this into two small meals, half of it after i got up at 6.30am, and the other half at 10.30am.

Lunch

One and bit Chicken breast (224 cals, 50g pro, 2.7g fat), with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, topped with some virgin olive oil. Finished all up!

Only 1 apple today

Dinner at 6.30pm had a 3 egg omelete with chicken, onions and mushroom.

5 LITRES of water/green tea!

Cardio:

Pushed myself in boxing yesterday. I also did weights afterwards in the evening, did some bicep curls and shoulders using dumbells.

tonight i played soccer from 7.00pm to 9.00pm. Good, but not great workout. Gave a lot (my calfs started cramping), but defo not my all. Was looking to do weights afterwards, but never got round to it in the end.

I am worried about tomorrow, as i haven't got any cardio organised for the evening. Maybe i will go boxing lessons again. Maybe i will trek it and start Shotokan karate. If the adverse weather conditions here in the UK stop me from going work during the day, i might use day and do a long cardio and weights session at home (Wii fit, dumbells etc)

That horrible feeling in every time i have the third thermabol pill of the day was extreme today- the worst i've felt it before. It felt like i was really going to throw up. I think i might cut it down to two pills a day if it continues...

Rejected an invite to a buffet a Thursday. The willpower is strong, i won't be sidetracked this year from goals! I offered to do it Friday as it will be my day off (I've been invited to a night out) so, might as well take the day off as reward for my efforts by then. I won't be going overboard though.

Genetically different baby!

V

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Diet

2 egg omelete (x2 73 cals, 6.7g protein, 5g fat), with veg (50 cals, 2.7g protein). NO can of Tuna as I was struggling to finish this breakfast as it is.

Also didn’t split it into two small meals. I had the full meal at once in the morning.

Lunch

One and bit Chicken breast (224 cals, 50g pro, 2.7g fat), with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, topped with some virgin olive oil.

Some soup later on.

Only 1 apple today

2 LITRES of water/green tea!

Cardio:

Boxing tonight. I also doing weights afterwards. Tomorrow morning I am going gym with my friend, will do some HIIT and weights. IN the evening it will be football.

I have cut down the Thermabol pills to two a day. Also one green tea extract pill a day, and x3 cod liver oil pills.

V

shadowinurdreams

Don Juan
Reaction score
you are starving urself... your body will not use fat for energy because you are starving it and its first line of defense is it will hold fat and eat muscle.. i am a certified trainer and competitor and have been down that road and feel ya bro.. i also do not like diet pills to increase ur metabolism right now we need to get u to eat right and more...i know female competitors that eat more.. not trying to be a smart ass either...

shadowinurdreams

Don Juan
Reaction score
if u want help pm me... i need to know exactly how many days a week you will workout lift cardio etc... and how many tiems a day you eat...

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
shadowinurdreams

I have just pm'ed you.

I've been pretty incosistent lately, and can't finish the week on my 'diet' and stay motivated for the cardio. This week i am taking it one day at a time, and thinking of the successess of a successful day.

Diet

1 egg omelete (73 cals, 6.7g protein, 5g fat), with a half the portion of veg (25 cals, 2.7g protein). NO can of Tuna.

One banana

one apple

Lunch

Two chicken legs with lettuce, cucumber, sweetcorn, , topped with some virgin olive oil and salad sauce.

I also had one bar of chocolate, and decided I don't mind doing so when i feel i need a sugar input once a day.

2 LITRES of water/green tea!

Cardio:

Boxing tonight. I also doing weights afterwards. Wednesday morning I am going gym with my friend, will do some HIIT and weights. Its a date!

I have cut down the Thermabol pills to two a day. It was making me feel sick again. Also one green tea extract pill a day, and x3 cod liver oil pills.

V

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mind If I ask because I've not seen this anywhere-

how tall are you?
How much did you weigh at your heaviest?
How much do you weigh at the moment?

How much do you want to weigh?

obviously its not as simple as that but its a start.
The consensus seems to be that you can lose 1-2 lbs per week safely. which means a calorie deficit of around 5000k per week.

Are you possibly, as shadow says, trying TO hard to lose weight and not eating enough?

how much sucess have you had so far with losing weight?

This info would probs help people help you out and advise better.

Cure.

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
New diet, new routine, new start

Hi Cure

how tall are you?
5ft 10

How much did you weigh at your heaviest?
14 and a half stone

How much do you weigh at the moment?
14 stone

My success with weight loss for the last few years has been minimal. Mainly because i can't keep up the diet until the end of the week.

I do think i am trying too hard to lose weight in the first few days of the week, and it sort of back fires.

I have made changes to my diet and activity routine which i am implementing today. Please feel free to critique/offer your opinions:

6.30am Breakfast i am eating one egg omelete and veg. And an apple.

12-1pm Lunch i am eating a breast of chicken, a fillet of beef steak, and veg.

4-6pm Dinner I am eating smoked salmon and salad (lettuce, cucumber, kidney beans, sweetcorn, olive oil and salad sauce.

7pm In this slot i am exercise cardio or weights depending on the day (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday football, Monday, Wednesday and Friday/saturday weights)

9pm Maybe some more chicken and veg.

Before every emal have a pint of water water. During the day i drink 2 litres of green tea.
There are also some golden rules i will be swearing by:

WHEN I AM HUNGRY, I EAT

WHEN I AM EATING, I EAT CONCIOUSLY, CHEWING AT LEAST 30 TIMES AND ENJOY EVERY MOUTHFUL.

WHEN I FEEL FULL, I STOP EATING
I am going to record and rate my activity at the end of each day. I will also post up pictures of what i am eating during the day just to add some visuals to the words, and hopefully at the end of every two weeks, i will post up pictures of myself and compare the results to the previous fortnight.

The toughest part of all this by far is cutting out of sugar and carbs. I tried to find out if there is anyway round it, and it doesn't look like there is. So i am to resist the chocolate and sweet cravings from today onwards except for my designated one day off a week where i will eat what i want.

Thats it for now, I will post again soon.

V

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
cool, we are the same height, so you want to be aiming for around 70kg, its important to set goals.
Pick an intermediate weight, for example, 13 stone, and chart your progress towards it.

Violent V said:
except for my designated one day off a week where i will eat what i want.

thats why you're failing.

eating healthy isnt a 6 days on/one day off thing, its a life style change.
If you have an "eat whatever I want" day, not only will you probably eat so much on that day you will undo a lot of your progress, but you will eat loads of the wrong foods.
Additionally, you will reinforce a mindset of "these healthy foods are only on my plate because I have to lose weight" rather than "these healthy foods are what I should be eating and they are delicious!"

From reading your diet posts, it seems like you are consuming hardly any sugar at all, yet you say its a problem, what sugary foods are you eating, honestly? I suspect there is a discrepancy between the diet you post on here, and the one you actually consume. What do you eat on your cheat day?

Cure.

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Cure, thanks for your post, there is a lot of truth in your words.

cool, we are the same height, so you want to be aiming for around 70kg, its important to set goals.
Pick an intermediate weight, for example, 13 stone, and chart your progress towards it.

Targets are something I definitely need to set, although I am unsure about using the scales, I thought its better to chart my progress by what I see in the mirror? So my target is to gain more shoulder, pec, arm and abdominal muscles, and cut fat on my arms. Chest, gut, waist and thighs?

eating healthy isnt a 6 days on/one day off thing, its a life style change.
If you have an "eat whatever I want" day, not only will you probably eat so much on that day you will undo a lot of your progress, but you will eat loads of the wrong foods.
Additionally, you will reinforce a mindset of "these healthy foods are only on my plate because I have to lose weight" rather than "these healthy foods are what I should be eating and they are delicious!"

I agree with this completely. When I have had a successful 6 days, I have a day off and binge, and never recover from it the following day.

But I would still like to enjoy a bit of cheese in my omelette or a chocolate trifle desert once in a while, or be social and have a curry/Chinese lunch/dinner in a restaurant once a week with friends or family. Perhaps it is better to allocate cheats sparsely throughout the week rather than lump it all in one day?

From reading your diet posts, it seems like you are consuming hardly any sugar at all, yet you say its a problem, what sugary foods are you eating, honestly? I suspect there is a discrepancy between the diet you post on here, and the one you actually consume. What do you eat on your cheat day?
My diet posts usually come when I have a good day (Lately its only been a Monday). When it’s a poor day, I don’t post. When I am on diet, my bodys craving (its not because its forbidden, it’s a genuine hunger) for some chocolate/sugar blasts up, and its usually the beginning of the end of my motivation for the week.

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Violent V is an athlete

It has dawned on me that I am overweight because of my eating habits and lifestyle.

Undoing this requires a change in eating habits and lifestyle. Change is not something that has to be reported here every day, otherwise it will always be me ‘reporting to change’. Rather, the change I seek needs to become a habit and permanent lifestyle. Results and exceptionally positive changes in habit and lifestyle are what needs to be reported here.

Violent V is an athlete.

I am fine tuning a lot of things in my mind, but the bottom line is if I want to not just lose weight, but look, feel and play more like an athlete does, I need to start thinking, eating, training and working more like an athlete does.

I want everyone here to know right now, at this very moment that I am actually, really an athlete. And not just this community; everyone around me is now aware that I am really an athlete, And it is unacceptable for an athlete to look the way I have been looking lately, eating the way I have been lately, and training as little as I have been lately.

I am getting a car tomorrow, and this is going to help me get to and from the gym and training grounds from next week.

I am going to start taking myself more seriously next week. As an athlete I need to always be active, not just for one hour a day. Most mornings I will be heading to the gym to workout, however hard or easy, just as long as I am moving the body and keeping it active. Cardio in the form of treadmill and dancing. My sport asks for stamina, energy, speed and agility. Weights to get the muscles strong and firm again. I cannot afford to be a bodybuilder in my sport. I need to a strong upper body to hold off challenges and challenge myself. In the evenings I will be staying active also, doing boxing, or practice soccer match or salsa or martial arts.

Eating wise, I need to start eating like an athlete again.

Carbohydrates Fuel My Workouts

I have brought in small amounts of healthy carbohydrates such as multigrain breads, whole wheat pastas, oatmeal and other whole grains in addition to fruits and vegetables to help my body stay fuelled throughout my workouts. Over processed foods such as white breads and pastas made from white flower, ice cream, fruit juice, cookies, donuts and alcohol may result in weight gain because my body cannot use these nutrients as efficiently. They will help to fuel my workouts effectively, but because they are so highly processed, they do not cause my body to work very hard to digest and utilize these nutrients. As a result, I will not be enjoying the metabolic increase which accompanies the digestion of whole grain foods.

I have incorporated a source of protein in each meal and snack because protein helps them to feel more satiated. This feeling of satisfaction will keep me from feeling the urge to eat shortly after a meal or a snack. Protein is a part of each of my meals and snacks, but also a part of my post workout meal or snack as well. I consume a protein rich meal or snack within the first 90 minutes after my workout to facilitate muscle recovery.

Healthy fats are critical to my diet. I am consuming moderate amounts of healthy fats, and find these fats in items such as olive oil, avocado, salmon and nuts. The unsaturated fats found in these food items are considered healthy, but they are also typically high in calories, so it is important to only use these products sparingly to maintain a healthy diet. This will help me lose weight. It is generally recommended that no more than 20% of my daily calorie intake come from fats.

If i want to look lean, i need to start eating lean.

To be continued….

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Violent V said:
It has dawned on me that I am overweight because of my eating habits and lifestyle.

Undoing this requires a change in eating habits and lifestyle.

the change I seek needs to become a habit and permanent lifestyle.
EXACTLY!! spot on, now get going and be an athlete!! :rockon:

reguarding measurment, looking in the mirror is subjective and wont help, becasue you tend to adapt your body image as you go along.

In my mind, I look exactly the same size in the mirror as I did six months ago, how do I know Ive gained muscle? A few examples-
body weight has gone from 65kg to 73kg.
deadlift has gone from 60kg to 100+

if you dont want to use the scales, thats cool, but use somthing.
May I suggest you download and run the "beep test". Its an overall test of total aerobic fitness, you can chart progress by running it once every two weeks.

reguarding the cheat meals/snacking, you have to be ACCOUNTABLE.
If you only ever post your good days, how can we comment if it seems to us like you are eating perfectly. from now on, post your bad days as well, in complete detail, if you had 27 mars bars and a whole cake, say so. accountability will keep you off the snack foods.

Dont have planned cheat days, its pointless to "plan" to eat unhealthy, just eat healthy all the time, accept that you will fail sometimes (only human) and dont beat your self up about it when you fail, just go back to eating healthy again.

best of luck mate,

Cure.

Nihilistiskism

Reaction score
DonS said:
V, you have to step into reality here. If you have some fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and small amount of chick for dinner, all the while you are doing hours of cardio and pumping iron for the past few years, you would be ripped to shreds. If you burn more calories than you consume, you have to lose weight, there is no other option.

Your history shows that you are consuming an equal amount of calories as you are burning.

There is some distortion going on in your head about the reality you are presenting. If you burned 500 more calories than you consume each day, you would of lost 60 lbs this past year. Come to grips with that and post what the reality really is. I'm not busting on you, I'm saying that you probably suffer from something called 'portion distortion.'

There was a segment on 60 minutes many years back where a doctor gave a group of obese patients a log book to note what they were eating. After a month, the doctor reviewed their logs and noted they should of each lost at least 15 pounds, yet during weigh in, they all weighed the same. Each participant was adament that they kept an accurate log, and in their reality, they did. The doctor then had them take a scale home and weigh the portion of each food they consumed and it was discovered that they were eating 200-300 more calories at each meal than they believed.
I'm quoting this for emphasis. Although it is possible (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) that you have an underlying thyroid condition that crawls your metabolism, the only other explanation is so outlandishly unlikely that it doesn't even really deserve mention, and that's a medical condition related to undue water retention. Incredibly rare, and I do mean incredibly.

So, you have 3 options:

1) You are unconscious of how many calories you burn vs. how many calories you consume
2) You have an underlying thyroid condition that forces your metabolism to an utter crawl, thereby confusing you in re: to option #1 (if your body has such a low metabolism that it only burns 1000 calories a day, and you are unaware of it, and think you are "starving" yourself, yet consuming 1000 calories a day, you get nowhere. Make sense?)
3) You have such a rare medical condition that medical journals will be written about you, and you will become the subject of case-studies.

So, of the ONLY 3 POSSIBLE EXPLANATIONS:

I listed them in order of probability. The most likely cause of your problems is that you have an unfocused, inaccurate, or delusional impression of how many calories you are consuming vs. how many you are burning.

While unlikely, as actual thyroid-related medical issues are fairly rare, it is possible that you have a problem with your thyroid. Since you seem adamant that you are being wholly honest in regard to your diet and exercise routine, my suggestion is to see a specialist, and, if your health insurance will cover it, schedule an MRI of the brain. Abnormal swelling, a tumor, etc. could be pressing on your thyroid. Talk to the specialist, and see what s/he thinks.

Get a full blood-panel run. And I mean a FULL blood panel (this is a long process, and insurance likely won't cover it, but it is something I recommend for anyone). A full blood panel is one where they test your blood for literally EVERYTHING. Everything that can be tested for. It's something special that has to be scheduled and structured over about the course of a week, because of the amount of blood they have to take from your body, but if you feel strongly about it, it might be worth it.

-nihil

Violent V

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
reguarding measurment, looking in the mirror is subjective and wont help, becasue you tend to adapt your body image as you go along.

In my mind, I look exactly the same size in the mirror as I did six months ago, how do I know Ive gained muscle? A few examples-
body weight has gone from 65kg to 73kg.
deadlift has gone from 60kg to 100+
I guess there is no harm in using the scales, and I will start recording my weight here as well as posting picture updates. Any progress in lifting and time I will also record. My only problem with scales is that it doesn’t reflect my pogress accurately as I might be same weight, but lost fat and put on muscle.

reguarding the cheat meals/snacking, you have to be ACCOUNTABLE.
If you only ever post your good days, how can we comment if it seems to us like you are eating perfectly. from now on, post your bad days as well, in complete detail, if you had 27 mars bars and a whole cake, say so. accountability will keep you off the snack foods.

Dont have planned cheat days, its pointless to "plan" to eat unhealthy, just eat healthy all the time, accept that you will fail sometimes (only human) and dont beat your self up about it when you fail, just go back to eating healthy again.
From now I will post everything, good or bad. I will handle treats and cheat meals as rewards for a good days and behaviour.

1) You are unconscious of how many calories you burn vs. how many calories you consume

I listed them in order of probability. The most likely cause of your problems is that you have an unfocused, inaccurate, or delusional impression of how many calories you are consuming vs. how many you are burning.
I accept this has been my problem, and one i have been aware of for sometime now, simply because I am not really recording how many calories I am eating and burning. I spent a few hours going through all this yesterday, so I am aware now of what to eat, how much a day.