*OFFICIAL* December 2011 Bootcamp - Week 1

R

Rubato

After finals yesterday... I forgot today is my younger brother's 18th birthday party :nono:

I ended up staying home today to help my family get our house cleaned, cleaned my car for my date tomorrow (it was so messy I was literally embarrassed by it. I had spilled some of the brown rice EFFORT advised me to eat multiple times all over the car, had spill protein powder, it was getting wet, there were books, papers, it was just... a disaster. And it's amazing it looks just like it did now and doesn't smell).

This isn't me making excuses. It's me saying that this was not a practical week for me to start this. My posting on Monday was a prelude.

I will restart the Boot Camp this coming Monday. I will just be a week behind everyone else.

R

Rubato

JonJaper said:
Practice talking to your younger brother's female friends at the party... just make sure they aren't jailbait LOL!!

P.S. hope finals went well buddy
Unfortunately, my brother has NOT taken my advice about being a man/dating/women on any level and there are no girls here. Else I would. But it's an all guy's party.

As far as finals go... Final grades:

Human Anatomy Lab: A
Human Anatomy and Physiology: B+ (anticipated, not final grade. May be A-)
Endocrinology: B+ (same as above)
Advanced Ballroom Dance: A
Biochemistry: A
Genetics: A
World Civ: B+ (I'm very upset about this)

Given what I had to work with, finals did go very well. Notwithstanding, I am disappointed with the 3 B's particularly in Human Phys and Endo. But, you take what you earn and keep moving forward. I've learned and I'll do better next time.

Konada

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JonJaper said:
In London... almost everyone has their head down and looks depressed LOL. The few times I established eye contact, they would look down at the road and keep walking, or they would have a surprised expression, as if they were shocked that someone smiled at them. Maybe that's what a big city does to people. Maybe it's British culture, where people like to keep themselves to themselves vs USA where people are more open/friendly.
You just described what I've been experiencing this whole week to the T. Lol. I reckon the bootcaml ahead is going to be an extremely tough road for me given the cirumstance.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Konada said:
You just described what I've been experiencing this whole week to the T. Lol. I reckon the bootcaml ahead is going to be an extremely tough road for me given the cirumstance.
Well... my solution to the miserable inner city a$$holes is to be EXTRA cheerful and happy, singing out loud as I walk down the street, or say hi to people but aim it at them individually... e.g. "Hey you there! Pretty woman in the green jacket! Yeah you! Your German Shepherd puppy is the CUTEST thing EVER!!" as I walk past. Basically be cheerful and confident then amplify that by 100.

It's gonna take a lot of balls to do, will have to really psych myself up for this lol.

Edit:I just went out today for grocery shopping. I psyched myself to feel upbeat and Pook's 'Be A Man' article really helped. I am a man with passion, with ambition and drive! I want to succeed and be successful in my life, irrespective of women!

On my way to the supermarket I was upbeat, singing the lyrics to the Rolling Stones 'Start me up' out loud (it's on the bootcamp song list). People looked up at me and when eye contact was established, I smiled at them. One HB 8 initiated eye contact, smiled at me and said "Hi" without me doing it first. :)

On the way back from the supermarket, a woman was crossing the road with her bike, and she was having difficulty getting it onto the kerb. So as I was walking past, I smiled and said "Hey, let me help you with that" and lifted her bike up onto the kerb. I know it's not much, but at least I took control like a man... I didn't hesitate/ask permission (e.g. hey...um...do you need help?) etc. She was obviously grateful, she smiled and repeatedly thanked me lol.

So... the solution to being in a big city full of miserable people is to be even more upbeat, confident and cheerful.

Last edited:

flint

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright I finished the tasks for week one (spend 2 hours practicing eye contact, say hi to 50 strangers).

I started today out with 26 hi's, so I basically did half of the excersize today. One thing I found interesting is that this excesize (and I imagine all going forward) is easier to do when you mix it up with your routine. Unfortunately I work a lot during the week and I don't go out much, but I'll have to change that so that I don't have to cram everything in at the end.

First Lesson Learned:

I never fully realize how powerful strong eye contact can be. Sure you read all the time in this forum that its important, but you really see the magic behind it when you put it into practice.

Case and point, today I went to a coffee shop towards the end of the day. I saw that next week's excersize is to start having conversations with strangers, so I began talking to the guy in front of me about the Jets game today.

I saw the girl behind the counter and all I did was order my coffee, but looked her directly in the eyes. She held eye contact with me for maybe a second longer than you would usually with someone, and I gave her a little smirk towards the end, and she smiled. Although nothing was said verbally, there was a TON of NON VERBAL COMMUNICATION going on here, and I know we could both feel it. When she came back, she started asking me about my day and she began a conversation with me. There were other people in line but I could tell she was making it a priority to talk to me.

I ended the interaction by getting her name (I should've tried to number close! Doh!). Its alright though I've seen her working at there before and I go there a lot, next time I'll get it.

The point is, I'm starting to think that your body language/what you're communicating non verbally might be even more important than what you're actually saying.

Second Lesson Learned:

The other big thing I realized today was that its true that maybe 90% of people are going to be cold and nothing is going to spark, but when you find someone who you do hit it off with its worth dealing with all the jerks.

For example, today I got a lot of my hello's done at the mall, and most people were just annoying to deal with. Many of them were xmas shopping and didn't even want to be bothered with a hello. That being said, that interaction I had with the coffee shop girl was worth dealing with all of the other people because it made me feel great (plus she was such a hottie!)

This week there were a solid two girls that I definitely felt that I could've gotten a date or something with if I had pursued further. So although I said hello to 50 people, and 48 of them were annoying, if I slept with those other 2 girls that would've made the whole thing worth it!

Conclusion:

I'm feeling pretty happy about my results this week, and I think I'm doing much better with my body language after doing this. Next week is going to be tougher because I think you need to have 10 conversations with complete strangers for more than 2 minutes, but if this week was any indicator it should be pretty rewarding!

Anyways, can't wait to see the rest of your results guys.

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I must say guys, I have been slacking hard core :)

I have not been paying attention to this thread at all, and as of today I have 17 hellos. The reason? I've been so damn busy! All school during the week, and then I spent all day on friday clearing my friends house for a party since his parents were out of town - and saturday was jr prom ;), and the whole of today was spent at a friends house finishing a presentation.

I've had 17 hellos and 1 conversation so far...
But don't sweat it, I'll get the rest of my 33 hellos tomorrow and I won't count the 1 conversation as part of week 2 for punishment. I can't wait to get through week 2 because my winter break starts around the same time as week 3 which in my opinion is the hardest week; basically i'll have all the free time in the world to complete week 3!

Finish off week 1 strong guys, I'll catch up with you tomorrow.

-Lefty

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Work around setbacks guys... remember how badly you want to kill the AFC within, improve your outlook and all areas of your life AND have satisfying interactions with women.

People who signed up at the beginning:

Sofomore
AlexLefty
European-DJ
PrettyBoyAJ
JonJaper
Rubato
OKL93
Konada
DarkShade
TheMale
TheExperience
flint
Shivastorm_88
Alex DeLarge
getready
daftsavage
MrJibbles
Robyn923b
Super Hero

If you haven't done so already....post your progress!!!

Last edited:

flint

Don Juan
Reaction score
Did really myself and JonJaper only complete week 1? C'mon guys almost 15 of you signed up! I'll start the week 2 thread but c'mon guys rally.

Konada

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eye contact now is no problem for me. The problem is people breaking off immediately before I can even smile and say hi. So i don't know whether that counts but I've become more open about greeting strangers.

TheMusic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Found just out about this. I think I'll have to do week 1 and 2 in one week :')

OKL93

Reaction score
High school seniors!! They were jailbait!! OH GOD WHY... LOL.
haha! I had something similar happen to me a few days ago..shudder.

Anyway on to my progress.

I stop counting eye contact after 55. I use to quickly look away during eye contact but now it has become second nature for me not to look away immediately. Most people are fairly timid even some of the most attractive girls were quick to drop their eyes.

On to exercise two. Just finished yesterday. I have to agree with Flint, the majority of people are just cold to a complete stranger, but those few people who you do end up chatting with make it worth it. One girl I talked to look like she was a first year college student. Turrrrrrrrrrrns out she was in high school, so I left it at that. Ah well live and learn.

The Experience

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright well like many others I have been busy, but there's been many opportunities available for me to progress, some I took and some I hesitated at.

Friday

Went to the local Improv for the first time by myself. Ended up getting to the place about 15 minutes before the show and got sat down in between two groups of three. To my left there was an older group consisting of two men and one woman who I assumed to be one of the mens' wife, and to my right were three ladies each progressively prettier than the other. I got to sit next to the prettiest one being at most a HB7 directly to my right.
As I sat down both groups seemed to be having some light conversation which I entered after I got settled in. We talked mostly about the comic and when the conversation ended between the two groups I turned my attention toward the three ladies.
The conversation started off well with me asking a few questions to the HB7 who seemed pretty receptive and a little bit giggly. After I asked her a couple questions the two others seemed interested in what we were saying and turned their attention toward me as they began to give me the verbal test of where I worked, lived, etc. They also asked me why I was by myself so I told them that my friends had abandoned me. (I should have been more playful with my answers, but since I was a bit nervous my mind was a bit slow)
Then a few minutes before the show was about to start I go to order my drink, jack and coke, when the HB7 nudges me a bit and whispers in my ear that the comic is going to ask for some audience members and that she would go up if I did. I playfully nudged her back and told her if you go up first, I'll follow you, somewhat insinuating that I would sit back down when when she walked up. She got what I was saying and nudged me back again. (Looking back on this now I should have just grabbed her hand and rushed to the stage)
As the show went on I could feel her constantly touching me, but since I was facing the other direction to watch the comic I couldn't really tell if it was intentional or not. (I should have just looked back at her and commented on her constantly touching me). I knew this was a good opportunity to practice kino so at high points in the comedy I would turn around to touch the HB7's shoulder while we were both laughing. She didn't seem to mind, and might explain why she kept touching me when I wasn't looking back.
When the show ended I had planned to ask them what they were doing afterwards, but got caught up as I began to fill out a form they had at the end of the show and they got up to leave rather quickly. However after I finished I went to the bathroom and when I got out I saw two of the girls which seeing it now, I should have started talking to them then, but nerves got the best of me.

- I didn't feel too disappointed with the outcome since it was my first time in the place alone and I was a bit nervous. Also I recognized my mistakes and will not make them again.

Saturday

Went to the mall since I needed a heavy jacket when I head to Idaho for Christmas. For me eye contact with a smile has become natural, but the 'hi' part is where I have trouble as not many people hold the contact long enough for me to say 'hi'. I know that I should just press through and just say 'hi', but that awkward feeling of saying hi to somebody who's not paying any attention to you comes about. I'm going to go back later with the intention of saying 'hi' whether or not a person holds eye contact long enough or not.
Every time I buy something now, as I check out, I'll start to chat to the cashier. This time I had a somewhat cute girl check me out and I'm not sure whether I distracted her or she did it on purpose, but she ended up taking $20 extra off the jacket which I also gave her a coupon for, so who knows...but I saved some money there.

All in all, I have about 20 or so hi's, but by the end of this week I'll definitely have 50.

Leopold

Don Juan
Reaction score
Havent gone out yet...(so much work that is chewing my head) but believe me.. i have made lots of eye contact and hellos with girls around my work. I would say.. around 12-18 of them so far i really felt they had a spark on their eyes.

For some reason today i got way more attention today. I was feeling very confident and all.
Also managed to catch over 3 girls watching and examining me today :D
Went and approached 2 of them.

I dont really do anything serious because they are on my work office. So since Im new all these and I dont want to mess up and send bad vibes where my reputation DOES count. So far I have been playing suave around :p

LOTS of kinos all around (positive feedback) but I have yet to get some hottie to initiate the Kino with me.

I'll keep practicing on the mirror and WILL GO OUT for sure tomorrow and finish the assignment.

Super Hero

Don Juan
Reaction score
Great to see you guys doing the tasks. This site is divine guidance. Everything in the world conspiring us to become better? whatever it is, I see far more potential in myself and you guys to let that inner light shine through.

Update: Head up chin High, I did around 20 His' and 6-7 conversations. I got mixed responses. This one girl stopped and before I even knew she was gone.People are not used to talking to strangers out of the blue here, and I often try to use observational openers(works best for me). Attended a B'day party and had a blast. I 100% am sure eyes can do a lot more for me(us?) than I think.

Read this small book by Bobby Rio about conversations and Im surely gonna use it. Its going to be fun.

Signing Out.
Soldier

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 1 Recap

Well I read all the articles for the week and I was forced to excel in the exercise as I work in retail. Working in retail is a good way to become more social. Before I worked retail I was hesitant to talk to random people and look people in the eyes as they walk by. Since I got my last job, however, I think it would be rude to walk past someone without acknowledging them.

So if any of you have any problems with making eye contact and saying hello to strangers I suggest that you get a retail store. This will fix that problem in a matter of days.

To me, I was never nervous. I am used to this stuff. I'm ready for the next exercise.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know we are now on Week 2 of the Bootcamp, but I was looking through the High School Don Juan Bible (because although it is a High School Bible, a lot of the things in there also apply to college and university) and found a couple of absolute gems that might be relevant to the bootcamp work of week 1:

Sir Chancealot's definition of a Don Juan (and the philosophy/aim of sosuave):

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18369

Icepick's Change Yourself post, it is awesome. I personally identified with it a lot, it was like he was describing my own life story and some of the challenges I face:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24029

Hope these help with the mindset. If you really understand the content in both these links (especially the second one), a lot of doubt and uncertainties about the bootcamp, sosuave and indeed some things in your life should be gone.

Stizz

Reaction score
Welcome new RAFC

Hey guys, only just signed up to SS (1st post of many) but have been reading alot of the material and love it. So just thought i'd join the Boot Camp process but a week behind i think i might even catch up to the W2 guys. If anyone is in the same boat give me a heads up so we can support each other. Now let's do this! Good luck to all!

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok guys, I just finished week 1 today!
I really am sorry that I haven't been keeping up with this and supporting you guys, i've just been really busy, but guess what, winter break starts on friday, so i'll be 100% committed to this!

I may have just finished week 1, but there has been some crazy **** going on! Some of which includes partying on saturday (jr prom) and hooking up with my date, and hanging out with 2 sisters on tuesday (yesterday) and hooking up with them both! I'm now going to go to the week 2 thread and get started on it! GL to all!

TheMale

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i had 2 stranges situations
the 2 of them was with kids
first one i just held EC with him for a long time (school where i work) untill he broke it
second was a kid in the bus i noticed he was looking at me so i decided to look back at him
but after a while i didn't know if i can smile (was affraid to look like a pedophile) so i just broke it
usually i dont brake the EC but today was weird
what can i do in this kind of situation ?