High school was useless, and so were all the other grades

CCKazi007

Banned
Reaction score
grr said:
Public Schools are bearable, and helpful.

But I do wish I was born into a better off parental situation. Maybe if they had their sh_t together so they didn't have to let a government-funded organization raise me. :\
Hey not everyone is fortunate as yourself. I wish I still had healthy parents, I would have never ever pissed them off. My mother is dead and I have a father who's crippled (physically and mentally) who I see once a year. I wish I had "role-models" to look up to, maybe that's why I slipped into "corrupted" lifestyle. But, now I recovered. Thankfully I learned from my mistakes. Don't blame others/situations, real men will find a way to deal with it.

From my experiance going through both public and private. I prefer private, because the teachers are better qualified and they have more to offer. I agree most of HS is memorization but I think it's important for helping the invidual decide what he or she wants to do with their life.

Only criticism I have of the public school education is RELIGION, saying the pledge of alligance EVERYDAY to the FLAG seems really FACIST to me. Techniqually people don't have to do but when I didn't do it kids/teachers looked at me funny... one of my friends was sent to the OFFICE for not saying it, which is hypocrasy if saying the pledge is OPTIONAL.

Anyone of you guys think that maybe the PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM isn't for education, but actually just like a prision to keep all the teenagers occupied so they don't cause crimes? That seems too liberal but hey anything's a possibility.

Last edited:

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was in high school, I did as little as possible and cruised by with a 3.5gpa. I can't think of anything I really learned from high school. I only had one really good teacher for my AP computer science class. Although, he left during my junior year and was replaced by this women who knew nothing about computers.

I definitely do agree that the education system is a joke.

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to "make **** happen" when a person is viewed as an outsider by cliques and doesn't have the resources to know how to improve social skills.
Oow man! IT IS HARD!
Who wants to do hard things (like working on yourself) when easy things (like being a loser) are available.

Look, dude. I know what it's like and I know it's hard to change. But it's not impossible.
If you make a concious choice to become what you desire to become you WILL become it. Period.

PS. Stop making excuses! :down:

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
holland dont be a dik

in high school you can tell who is going to be cool and whos not just by looking at them. a short, frail, ugly, poor kid with glasses isn't going to become cool by 'trying harder'. a 13-year-old cannot possible grasp all of your stupid motivational theories like 'the secret', nor does he understand or have access to proper diet and weightlifting, nor is he mature enough to see himself objectively and take logical steps to improve himself.

hell most 25-year-olds arent truthful and rational enough to view themselves as others do and spend time researching how to improve, how can you expect a high school freshamn to?

dakota

Don Juan
Reaction score
As a teacher the reason some students do not do well/think it is a joke/ waste of time is they choose not to challenge themselves to do better.. they take the easy classes and a skate along with minimum work possible.. and in these days of grade inflation it is quite possible to have a great gpa that means nothing. Challenge yourselves to do better, take harder classes and you will learn something!... and take as many challenging classes as possible.. keep all your options open!

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
actually the smartest thing to do is take as many easy classes as possible to get a high grade and a scholarship.

hopeful loner

Don Juan
Reaction score
How about the fact that a college education is also for the most part useless?

I'm not talking about all college education--our society will always need scientists and engineers and so forth. But really, what's the point of a typical student spending four years studying something like Psychology or Economics? That is, unless they're truly planning to be academics in those fields?

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My kid is going to a private school/getting homeschooled/ or going to a school that I will myself build to prevent idiots with prescribed goverment BS teach our kids worthless stuff.

I am in college, and hear "The employers want you to know this!!" Really? They want me to know what the effective director qualities are? Do they want me to be their boss? Amazing!

The cool thing is, with my experience and knowledge, I will be able to mold amazing fvcking talent. You say kids need to go an learn to socialize? I say - I teach them all they need about interaction, then they go out, practice things and come back to me with more questions.

Imagine yourself and what you know now, but in the 5th grade. Holy balls would you dominate everything there is.

I would also like to say that some of you are quite wrong. School does teach us some things and evenutally makes us more well rounded. Sure, it is lost to a large degree because people are lazy morons who do not want to read anything outside of the class, but some do, and some remember, and some will be your bosses a few years from now.

Up until I was 15, I had a TV with 4 working channels. I had no videogames. I only had books and my friends. It was probably one of the best childhoods I can dream up - I learned so much from the books, that I would get out of schoolwork by using what I read outside of the classroom. I still do. I use articles, magazines, interviews to write better papers, answer questions, and do homework. And it makes me mad - because I am constantly outside the box, I am always going above what is required and give a real answer instead of what the stupid book says. And that is why I am singled out. I do not fit the system. I am a rebel. And that is not benefitial to the system.

Reaction score
We value what we don't have - there are billions who would take your place and get a free education and value it dearly! It is not the education that is lacking, rather it is YOU who lack to see the value of education! By the way -who taught you to put a sentence together to communicate your thoughts? :rolleyes:

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Instead of b!tching about how much HS svcks, why don't you guys actually make an effort in getting into a top grade HS?

Over here, your GPA from grade 8-10, decides which senior HS you go to. I was in the top procent and I got into the best HS in the country. It was founded in 1156 and has a very long tradition of being the best school in the country. The King and the Crownprince went there, and almost everyone who is someone went to that school. The teachers were great and they all had atleast one Masters degree, all in all it was a very stimulating learning enviroment. Another side is all the connection I made in HS. All the people that went there are really driven and succesful people. If I take a look at my phonelist, all the people in there are either studying medicin, law, engineering or commerce. Sh!t, ten years from now if I have any problems I only need to pick up the phone and call one of my HS buddies.

What I'm trying to say is that instead of b!tching about your HS, why don't you actively try to gain knowledge? Sure, the US school system svcks. But be realistic, HSs arn't there to handfeed you knowledge, you need to get out and actively seek it if you want to become succesful.

There are alot of guys on this board that says that your grades in HS/College, or education at all, doesn't matter....c'mon wake up and smell the sh!t that is reality. Of course they do. What it boils down to is : good gpa in HS --> good pick of colleges --> more oppertunities --> more chance of success.

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
in high school you can tell who is going to be cool and whos not just by looking at them. a short, frail, ugly, poor kid with glasses isn't going to become cool by 'trying harder'. a 13-year-old cannot possible grasp all of your stupid motivational theories like 'the secret', nor does he understand or have access to proper diet and weightlifting, nor is he mature enough to see himself objectively and take logical steps to improve himself.

hell most 25-year-olds arent truthful and rational enough to view themselves as others do and spend time researching how to improve, how can you expect a high school freshamn to?
I don't expect anyone to do anything about themselves.
I only expect that from myself.

If you start off as a total loser at 13, you'll get sick of it eventually. Some of them accept it, others improve a little, few make shiit happen.
It's not like you have to know all of these philosophies from start to end to become a cool kid in school.
You don't need any diet or weightlifting to become a popular kid.
If you develop self-respect and self confidence you will be amazed how fast others start to respect you.

What helped me a lot was this quote: "The world will largely accept you at your own estimation. It's yourself that you have to convince before you can convinve anyone else. But once you know that you have what it takes to handle any situation, you'll act in such a way that your beliefs WILL become your reality."
I found that on the internet back when I was in highschool. Almost anyone has acces to the internet, so the young age is no excuse for not taking charge.

In fact, I believe most mid-20 AFC's are more doomed than their 13-16 yo fellowmen since they have a lot more negative programming to get rid off.

Thai Foon

Don Juan
Reaction score
wow after reading all these posts about high school wasting time.. now i have no motivation to even try anymore :confused:

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quite the opposite, you should try to excel more than ever. Best grades in school + great street knowledge (books+life experience) = BIG MONEY

Nox

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thai Foon said:
wow after reading all these posts about high school wasting time.. now i have no motivation to even try anymore :confused:
High school is not useless, it's the lazy teachers that are making it useless. I had a couple of lazy teachers in high school that didn't do anything, but told us to read the book and do the homework. Sometimes for math, algebra to trigonometry, they ask us to plot the dots, and color the picture. Sometimes for English, we had to do a project on mythology, and all we did was research a god, and make a poster.

Let me tell you guy on how lazy some of my English teachers are. I didn't really learn any grammar or spelling in high school, and when I got to college, I've learned all 4 years of high school English in just 1-2 quarters of college.

Some people will say something like "There's only one to blame for that...And no, it's not the school system." I will disagree with this statement. The individual has the responsibility to learn, but the individual can't learn when there's no one to teach them.

It all comes down to the teachers, whether they are willing to teach. The funny thing about this is that most of the lazy teachers complain about being underpaid.

For the high school students out there, just have fun while you can. Try to take the required class, and upper division math. Don't take any honor or AP classes if you don't want to, but it'll be better if you don't want to take the classes again in college.

If you want to aim for a scholarship, or go to a good college, then I would recommend doing community work, ace the SAT, and get good grades. Getting good grades won't be hard, considering the atrocious teachers teaching it.

Thai Foon

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nox said:
High school is not useless, it's the lazy teachers that are making it useless. I had a couple of lazy teachers in high school that didn't do anything, but told us to read the book and do the homework. Sometimes for math, algebra to trigonometry, they ask us to plot the dots, and color the picture. Sometimes for English, we had to do a project on mythology, and all we did was research a god, and make a poster.

Let me tell you guy on how lazy some of my English teachers are. I didn't really learn any grammar or spelling in high school, and when I got to college, I've learned all 4 years of high school English in just 1-2 quarters of college.

Some people will say something like "There's only one to blame for that...And no, it's not the school system." I will disagree with this statement. The individual has the responsibility to learn, but the individual can't learn when there's no one to teach them.

It all comes down to the teachers, whether they are willing to teach. The funny thing about this is that most of the lazy teachers complain about being underpaid.

For the high school students out there, just have fun while you can. Try to take the required class, and upper division math. Don't take any honor or AP classes if you don't want to, but it'll be better if you don't want to take the classes again in college.

If you want to aim for a scholarship, or go to a good college, then I would recommend doing community work, ace the SAT, and get good grades. Getting good grades won't be hard, considering the atrocious teachers teaching it.
Thanks for the advice.. and i was worried about not taking any honors/ap classes. If i got like a 3.7 or higher, participated in sports and other activities, would colleges still consider me even though i didnt take ap classes like a lot of other people?

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nox, that statement was directed at social conditioning and being a loser/normal cool kid.
It was not about learning in highschool.
I think I could've done the first 4 years of high school in one year.
Schools skip very important lessons, they never teach you how to set goals for yourself, they don't teach about mental health and selfconfidence.
But that does not mean you can excuse yourself from learning those. You have so much free time on highschool (well, me and other people in my country do) that you can easily study other stuff, and (since most kids won't do that,) you'll be in major advantage after you finish highschool. All because you took the time to invest in yourself.

I'm in university now, and they still teach a lot of useless stuff (not all, though). I just go through it to get my degree and invest most of my time in personal study about things that really matter to me.

jonwon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desdinova pretty much same experiences as mine.

Music I excelled due to a very good teacher, once she left my grade turned to cra* due to a mangina male who I think disliked boys for some reason.

Things I have learned at school, have had little to no impact on my actual career paths.

Granted I can string words together be articulate, do math, but never to the degree we had to study.

Now we have pc’s that do the hard work.

Math as been replaced by excel
English by ms-word and email.

One wonders if it would be far simplier to learn a pc package the do the basics.
It’s like learning web-design and starting in dos, rather the using a package already made for the job.

Plus I have not found a use for:
History, so I have forgotten alot of it and any history I need I just go to google, there its solved.
Geography, lost most of it as never used it, if I need to know about some place, guess what? google again.
Math, I use excel programmes and never really need to calculate big numbers, I understand some do, but this is not a large % rather a small %.
English, my English I think is ok, but with word, email, it gets a hell of a lot better and with built in features to check grammer e.t.c that are only going to be developed one wonders why we need to learn the basics at all.
PE-(sports day) not had to use anything from sports day and actually got fitter by using own means rather then anything I ever got out of sports day.
RE (religious education)-what better way to mould the next society just as the people in power want the, 'get them whilst there young'.

Other things to note.
The state system where ever you live: is derived from government curriculum, they set the standard and it is up to them, what is measured.
What this means is your fitting to some one else’s rules how the world should be, what you need to do and how to achieve it, fundamentally your simply fitting into a nice slot and your not aware of it! You just assume school at that age on average, is the thing to do, it is normality. But what people fail to see it is simply some other person, or persons idea of normality and that as set the standered for the social order.

In that people in the education system are much like chickens on a conveyer belt ready to be packed, sealed and delivered to the working world out there.

Education should be about choice, the parents should be able to choose the education and the field of study for there young, where by they learn a business and how to develop themselves with-out all the wasted time on the other garbage.
For example a doctor would learn about all the things associated with that.
An engineer would learn about that e.t.c.

I left school with no qualifications at all.
I then went to college and learned specific subjects.

I have been a manager, working alongside people with a supposed better education then me that had varying degrees of competence at that roll.
I am now working in offices earn ok cash ,virtually all I work with, have degrees and a good % are on less money then I am.

Later on in life I went back to study English, I found I got an A+ in English lit’ since I was more focused on wanting to achieve it.

And now I am studying for a post grad' degree and the reasons for those.

The system is so ingrained and this is the problem, to excel in some one elses organization you need to show a level of competence and the national norm’ is by proving you have done the education route, even though one can clearly pick holes in the system, that does not matter what matters is you can prove you have survived that system.

People assume one is smart sinice they have loads of qualifications, experience as shown me that is only the case to the individual and not fundamentally the case to people around them, you can still be dumb with good grades and that to me is the main contradictory point.

But it wont change since to change it would mean the blue collor worker would be no more and the organizations that exist need the small workers as there foundation.

the more semi-educated poor working minded people there are the easier the organizations have in choosing who to employ and the better there situation in the event of loosing one of there supports.

an organization can not survive with out the little man turning the wheels no matter what they seem to tell you about the big man upstairs, he is only there since the little man helped put him there through his hard work too, and that is why the education system works.

jonwon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit said:
I want the system abolished, and the funding paid to the retirees and beneficiaries of Social Security, and then that system dissolved.

It's already pitiful enough. Our disclosed defense budget is 100 times the educational budget. And that's only the numbers we know. The middle east conflict will gobble far greater funds than education. Greater than we can imagine.

I want people, parents to determine what their kids learn. Let mom stay at home. Let her pocket the daycare expenses, because when all is figured and laid out, her wage truly amounts to working @ mcdonalds, when taxes, commutting, dresses, daycare, and 2 vehicles are factored in. There are few mothers who's 2nd jobs add much value to the family income stream. And the long-range losses that IMPLICIT (i.e. handing kids over to the state to be told what they must learn, psychological impact of what school is and does, potential risks of pregnancy, drugs, and booze, and the lack of connection as a family unit) are FAR greater than EXPLICIT benefits yielded by her job AND the kid going to daycare AND then onto schooling.

Libraries are FREE. What schools teach in a year, can be done in a week, maybe less. Kids, children USED to read at what we know as 8th-12th grade levels. The bible, the oldest book around, was ready by many children a mere fraction of our age, if not for religion, then for wisdom.

What is learned, needn't be in a book either. But that's the PROGRAMMED mentality you develop when all learning is broken down to BOOKs and MEMORIZATION and when all CE courses are the same. Nothing hands on. Nothing truly doing. Not unless you actively search that out, or pay an arm, a leg, and kidney for it. We learn in many ways, and yet you have not come to realize that schooling teaches in but ONE fashion, ASSUMING all people SHOULD learn in the same way, the same things, for the same purpose.

It is your GOD-given right, your right of birth, TO CHOOSE what knowledge you put in your head. 100% YOUR right. It isn't to be assumed what you want to know or must know. And it's all the worse we allow the government the purpose of assigning what is of value and what isn't. Our forefathers would ROLL over in their graves if they knew of the serious implications that has.

But this is what I want. What A-Unit wants. I care not what other people think. That if you agree or disagree, or even read this. All I care is that it's done, or at the very least I will do it FOR my children. And enlighten MY loved ones to the robotic system known as forced schooling, which leaves the student CONSTANTLY seeking, CONSTANTLY searching for themselves, since they never were allowed that chance as a child. They were thrust into some system which gives no care about them, assigned values, and ideas, and thoughts, and labels, ridiculed according to societys perceived values and roles, and told "this is life." Not so, good sir, not so. Not mine. Not now. Not ever. Not for my kids or loved.

Find your passion.
Love what you do.
Do what you love.
That is life. And life is the best education you will find, and it's free.

A-Unit
an excellent post A-unit I would give it 5stars man, sums up anything i would try to post.