For you HS Seniors: What college are you going to?

Tantrice

Don Juan
Reaction score
University of Vienna Austira lol :rockon: I m form Europa! And no we don t have kangoroos in Austria sorry!

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tantrice said:
University of Vienna Austira lol :rockon: I m form Europa! And no we don t have kangoroos in Austria sorry!
I just visited Vienna, Austria like a month ago with my symphony orchestra. We traveled to both Salzburg and Vienna (I have to say I liked Salzburg a lot more) and it was an amazing time.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Debating whether to attend Carnegie Mellon University, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) or New York University.

Freigeist

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tantrice said:
Hey, do they have courses taught in English there? What are the costs? I really want to go to europe for uni. I'm from Canada by the way.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Millersville University

GPA is 3.7

accepted to Kutztown University but rejected it for MU

comic_relief

MadenQ

Don Juan
Reaction score
UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND! go spiders.

Snapple

Don Juan
Reaction score
I applied to a lot of schools in both US and Canada. So far gotten into Waterloo, Queens (great since its halfway between Toronto and Montreal), U of Rochester, Case Western, Lehigh (also applied for engineering NYC dude, might see ya there), and waitlisted at Carnegie Mellon. Applied for engineering to all of em since thats what I'm interested in, but not sure where I want to go yet. Still waiting on a few Canadian Unis but I'm not too interested in those. Any DJs already at some of these places?

dirtyvibe

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
going to james madison university in virginia. 3.3 gpa, 4 or 5 aps last year, 4 this year. + 4 years of japanese and 1 year of spanish, 1380 sat

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would definitely search for college threads on this board.

Here are some things from my personal experience:

Where you go to school doesn't really matter all that much, unless you go to ivy leagues. Going to school just to party is a really bad decision. And you will party freshman year, and probably have your 1st semester GPA drop significantly.

Big schools are fun because there are more parties (usually) but at the same time if you are looking to make friends smaller schools will be better.

Look at the party history at the school you want to go to - ask people how the parties are this year/last year.

My school SUCKED HORRIBLY last year (you can find that post on here) but this year it is honeslty THE BEST year for partying in college here. Hell, we had 9-10 parties in my house alone, and those things are 100+ people.

Dont worry so much about "hot girls", i mean yeah if the ratio is 1 girl to 3 guys that might not be a good pick, but if it is 45-55, 40-60 who gives a sh1t. Those ratios are pretty much usless anyway. If you have game, you will get hot girls, if you have no game, having hot girls around will not help you getting with them.

Good luck.

ALMOST FORGOT - http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp USE THIS SITE. IT IS GOLD and will save you many hours of wondering "why oh why did i pick this teacher"

NYC Dude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've decided on Harvey Mudd, so California here I come!

Patrick124

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
though i'ma a junior, a 2.7 GPA[advc. math, IB history, IB science], 2 yrs spanish, 2 yrs german i'm aiming for ECU, Coastal Carolina, Univ Vermont right now. theres more I will consider as the time to choose gets closer.
I'm aiming for a 1350 on the SATs[old scale..like a 1900 on the new scale, atleast].
if i get thsoe SAT scores, what you think ym chances are of getting into a pretty good college?

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Patrick what is your race? If you are black, latino, or some other underrepresented minority group, yes that is eonugh.

If you are white or asian, bring your GPA up to a 3.5 and get above 2000 on your SAT.

dannowillbookem

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
personally i'm a lil worried...im just a sophmore, but still i have like a 2.6 gpa...really shot the shiit freshman year (okay i was depressed the whole time lol) but i think i might retake some classes. i know i can do better than a 60 in english, i have a 98 for sophmore year.

what kinda grades do you need for this shiit anyways

dreamx

Banned
Reaction score
Well next year is my last year of highschool and I can't wait finally no more teasing,no more bullying or being pushed around.And hopefully in college I will not be picked,I hope there people don't do that and I hope girls will like me.But the college im going to is probaly MSU(MichiganStateUniversity).My GPA is 3.6 which is obviously great!

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My words of advice are that GRADES really do matter. Your GPA gets looked at the most by colleges and overrides any SAT scores you might get. One of my best friends has like a GPA of 3.1 or 3.2 and did a lot better than me on the ACT (I got a 27 and I think he got like a 31 or 32) but I got into University of Michigan and he didn't because my GPA is a 3.92 and I'm currently taking 4 AP classes this year.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
adpreston, unless your friend is black a 31 or 32 is a sh*tty ass SAT score.

3.1 and 3.2 gpa is **** too. you're right no wonder he didn't get in.

i'd say GPA matters most, then SAT scores. GPA Is cumulation of your work over 4 years, and SAT/ACT are important b ecause it is STANDARIZED so people all over the nation can be compared.

October

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
-Shoot for a 4.0 UW...it's not an uncommon GPA, due to grade inflation. That does mean that you have to study...but if getting into a good college is what you desire, you must coordinate your actions with your goals. GPA (and your relative courseload) IS the most important thing, unless you are a member of an underrepresented race or are recruited as an athlete.

-Take as many AP/honors courses as you can handle...and get As in them and 5s on the AP exams.

-Show passion in one or two areas outside of schoolwork...i.e. sports, clubs, music, debate, or stuff like that. You should definitely be in a position of leadership at somewhere. If you're ridiculously good at sports (not just within your state, but regionally), colleges will be all over you.

-Study for the SATs/ACTs...they are important enough that a bad score will screw you over.

-You need something to make your application stand out above everyone else, something that makes the college want to meet you as a person, someone who can contribute to the college.

-Keep yourself busy...even during the summer.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to mislead the colleges into thinking I'm black.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:
I'm going to mislead the colleges into thinking I'm black.
good luck man. if you succeed, you'll probably get in anywhere.

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion of the ACT vs. SAT?? I took the SAT and got like a 2030 (which is about a 1350 in the old scoring system) but I took the ACT without any preparation and got a lousy 27. I thought I would do better on the ACT since I do take advanced classes and it's supposed to test your overall knowledge while the SAT tests your thinking ability. Anyways, I definitely think the SAT is easier than the ACT because the sections are only like 25-30 minutes while the ACT has 60 minute long sessions (which you can lose focus in a lot easier). This is just my opinion though. Most of my friends thought taking the ACT was much easier than the SAT.