For you HS Seniors: What college are you going to?

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think SAT is easier since it's split up. I got a 2340 on the new SAT and 34 on the ACT. About the same after you convert it, but SAT sections are way shorter than the hour long ACT sections, so I think SAT is easier. Without the writing section, I'd say the ACT would be easier, but it has a writing section just like the SAT now.

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn Potbelly!! Those are some amazing scores. Where are you going to college again??

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks preston. I'm going to Northwestern University in Evanston, IL.

October

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there something about Northwestern that you liked over other schools that are equally ranked or higher?

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Why Northwestern?? With those scores (although I don't know your GPA) you could've probably gotten into a few ivy league schools. I think a few of my friends are headed to Northwestern next year.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did not have many extracurriculars. and I got a like 4 Bs during high school. Ivies won't take me. I also got into Brown (ivy), Dartmouth (ivy), Wash U, U of C and waitlisted at Duke, but I chose Northwestern because it has a top notch econ program (they won the fed challenge last year). plus it has an actual campus and it's near chicago a big cityt.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why the hell would you want to go to an Ivy school? Sure you can say you've been to some prestigious college, but it also emptied out your parents bank account.

To make it in life, I say it's better to have experience with people and living in the "real world" then becoming more intelligent.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a lot of politics that lie behind the US News rankings. I suggest going to a school YOU feel fits you best, rather than blindly choosing schools based on rankings. For example, Brown is a subpar ivy. Also, Columbia is an ivy, but if you got into MIT or another school like an excellent engineering program at a non-Ivy, you would choose the non-ivy or MIT if you were interested in science. it always depends, as with most things in life

Mr. Ballz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Going to Georgia State. Anyone else care to join me? Would be cool to have a wingman right off the bat.

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I go to parachoial school (Catholic school), and my guidance counselor keeps telling us that going there simply makes colleges want me more. I don't know how true that is. But there's some dumbass at my school that had remedial classes, and switched to a local public school and got all regs with 2 honors classes. Explain that one to me. Is that true?

My GPA is a 3.73 (which I believe I can get up to a 4.0 by the end of my junior year). I took the PSATs beginning of my Sophomore year with a 1240-1850 range (Median is 1545). My goal would be to get a 2000, my goal is also to get into University of Florida, being 75% Hispanic would give me an advantage as well. On top of that, I will be Tech Club president. How do I look? Can I get into a good college?

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bling if your unweighted GPA is 3.73 it's impossible to get it back to a 4.0

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me know if anyone here is going to The University of Michigan. Like 100-200 of my friends are going since we're in state, but it would still be cool to hear from someone else going.

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Potbelly said:
Bling if your unweighted GPA is 3.73 it's impossible to get it back to a 4.0
It's weighted. 1.0 for honors, 2.0 for AP. I am taking 4 Honors next year. My unweighted GPA core classes is a 3.55. I can get it up to a 3.7 unweighted GPA by the end of Junior year. :( Too weak? I take hard classes, go to a Catholic school (which really has a harder curriculum than public school), and will be tech club president with also possibility of making the golf team? I think I'd regret this for the rest of my life if I didn't get into UF.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok man. Just keep doign your best. Dont give up and good luck with your goals. You will get what you deserve in the end.

Flabbergasped?

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Harvard (R), Yale (WL), Cornell (A), Princeton (A), Rice (A), MSU (A)

PRINCETON BABY!

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Why MSU? It's nowhere near the level of an Ivy League School, unless MSU doesn't stand for Michigan State.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
adpreston1988 said:
Let me know if anyone here is going to The University of Michigan. Like 100-200 of my friends are going since we're in state, but it would still be cool to hear from someone else going.
I am most likely going to the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.

Flabbergasped? said:
Harvard (R), Yale (WL), Cornell (A), Princeton (A), Rice (A), MSU (A)

PRINCETON BABY!
You are going to Princeton? Congrats. How did you get in? What are your stats? Did you do anything notable?

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm starting to think college isn't for me, but we'll see what happens.

I know for sure I'm not going into college straight out of highschool, but I'd change that if West Point accepted me.

My immediate plan after highschool is (4-10 years): to join one branch of the US Military (most likely Navy or Army), then if possible move to Israel to fight in the IDF (Israeli Defense Force). After such I'll be quite proud of myself and ready to do anything.

I think it would be a nice change of pace to get away from American women, and experience a bit of my Jewish ancestery. I'm definately excited for what the future may hold.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:
I'm starting to think college isn't for me, but we'll see what happens.

I know for sure I'm not going into college straight out of highschool, but I'd change that if West Point accepted me.

My immediate plan after highschool is (4-10 years): to join one branch of the US Military (most likely Navy or Army), then if possible move to Israel to fight in the IDF (Israeli Defense Force). After such I'll be quite proud of myself and ready to do anything.

I think it would be a nice change of pace to get away from American women, and experience a bit of my Jewish ancestery. I'm definately excited for what the future may hold.
Very nice. Good luck.