Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Real Life Applications?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know I see the dropped hands a lot, but I have also not seen a fighter with a good boxer's jab to punish an opponent for dropped hands. Maybe there is some reason we don't see that in UFC fights? I am no expert.

On the one hand, the list of fighters Liddell has knocked out are a 'who's who' of UFC, but on the other hand, he is approaching 40. I never understood how he could be so badass and have what looks like a beer gut, but he was. He knows how to drop his weight and lean back into his punches. When they land, they're lethal.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
You know I see the dropped hands a lot, but I have also not seen a fighter with a good boxer's jab to punish an opponent for dropped hands. Maybe there is some reason we don't see that in UFC fights?
Takedowns.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it the proximity involved? In order to work a jab, you have to stand too close? You see about every other kind of punch. Or is it that the jab does not do enough damage to stop the other guy from taking the punch and still getting a takedown?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Is it the proximity involved? In order to work a jab, you have to stand too close? You see about every other kind of punch. Or is it that the jab does not do enough damage to stop the other guy from taking the punch and still getting a takedown?
A boxer can keep his hands high and know he doesn't have to defend a takedown if his opponent shoots in. An MMA guy knows that if he's in close and his hands are high, it might leave his body open for the opponent to shoot in and go for the takedown.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Word has it that many boxers think Chuck sucks. I don't think he'd last a second in a boxing ring. I'm a bit baffled by his fighting stance too, but then, he was the light heavyweight champion so obviously he was doing something right.

YES! I am bewildered at how he was successful for so long. He looks like an apple on stilts. No power in his footwork, and nothing fast about his hands. Just a few wild, tricky haymakers.

Belisarius

Don Juan
Reaction score
Liddell looks like he works at a gas station. If I didn't know who he was and I saw him on the street I would definitely think I could kick his ass. He does have some heat behind those punches but the main thing is that he could land them. Doesn't take as much power to knock somebody out bare knuckle.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Why don't you actually find a place, start training and find out for yourself instead of asking five hundred armchair questions and wasting your time?

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
The trick is taking a small step and firing a hard jab at the same time. So you close the distance and do not "stand too close" when firing the jab, but still get appropriate range. Use those jabs to setup bigger punches.

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also keep in mind guys that Liddell is getting old(no comparisons to freak of nature randy couture), and that the last 5 guys he fought before Jackson were grapplers, fed to him by the UFC to build up his persona. He is a very talented fighter though.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah man, you're wasting a lot of time asking these questions. You could already have had 2 months of training under your belt. Just find a school and try it out, see what you think.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Inside Man said:
The trick is taking a small step and firing a hard jab at the same time. So you close the distance and do not "stand too close" when firing the jab, but still get appropriate range. Use those jabs to setup bigger punches.
A jab though is kind of a misnomer. There's no reason a jab can't be just as hard hitting as your cross. A "jab" can easily knock someone out esp if you're wearing no gloves.

God_of_getting_layed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
This guy is good evidence that all you may need for self-defense is boxing skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmn8ORCbgZc
oh please!

boxing sucks. You want good self defense? learn BJJ and muay thai, dont waste any time on boxing, that goes in the same class as Karate and other useless systems.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
God_of_getting_layed said:
oh please!

boxing sucks. You want good self defense? learn BJJ and muay thai, dont waste any time on boxing, that goes in the same class as Karate and other useless systems.
You're out of your mind. Show me a youtube video of one guy beating down 4 attackers at once in the street using BJJ or MT.

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
A jab though is kind of a misnomer. There's no reason a jab can't be just as hard hitting as your cross. A "jab" can easily knock someone out esp if you're wearing no gloves.
Well, you can flick it out for a "touch" or you can send a stiff one to do damage. It really sounds like I'm talking about something besides a punch lol.

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh please!

Lets put on some gloves, go in the backyard, and see who has more fun. Boxing is the original martial art hmmm, how many UFC champions of the world rely extensively on their BOXING and not kicking. Anderson Silva, Randy Couture, Matt Serra(according to GSP fight), and of course mr Rampage. Tell them that boxing is dead.

Belisarius

Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
I agree that a Jab can easily knock someone out bare knuckle, but I disagree that it can be as hard hitting as a cross. You can build up a hell of a lot more momentum with a cross considering that you can rotate your hips damn near 180 degrees. Even if you are throwing a jab off of a cross and your hips are kind of ****ed for the jab, you still can't torque out anywhere near as much power as you can with a cross.

Belisarius

Don Juan
Reaction score
oh please!

Disagreed. While I do think BJJ and muay thai are more effective than boxing, against somebody who knows nothing, boxing can be an excellent choice for self defense. I've seen boxers destroy people in street fights. The punches are almost the same as in Muay thai and there are more evasive moves.
You usually don't have to worry about your average idiot off the street having a double leg takedown in his arsenal. Against untrained guys (like 99% of the population) boxing is definitely a viable self defense option.

While karate is held back by tradition, and has many moves that are not based in reality, it is much better than nothing. I think that if you studied karate and sparred frequently and with intensity, you would probably have a huge leg up on the average guy.

Of course with either boxing or karate if you go up against anyone with ground fighting experience(a rarity in a street fight), you are definitely ****ed.