Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Real Life Applications?

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Knowing moves" isn't enough. You have to practice, often, for years.

Although this kind of situation is rare as far as the 250lber vs guy that knows jiu jitsu, On the Rickson Gracie video CHOKE, a documentary of a vale tudo tournament in 1996 or so, a very small 140lb shooto fighter taps out several monster martial artists and ends up facing Hickson in the finals. At one point he has an armbar in on a huge black guy and he is hanging vertically upside down in the air with the guys arm, and the guy taps! Amazing performance, great overall DVD.

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"MMA is a sport. There are more effective martial arts forms.

Lethwei and old-style muay thai for example are more effective stand-up options in real fights because they incorporate headbutts and aspects of bear-knuckle (which changes things a lot)."

Thats really cool to hear someone mention lethwei...I trained the American form, called Bando, under one of Dr. Moaung(sp) Gyi's 1st class of black belts for over a year and it was brutal. Dr. Gyi supposedly beat Bruce Lee in a match, I don't know if that is true or not. Chuck Norris used to referee Bando matches in the 1970s in Washington DC where it was introduced in the U.S. Bando fighters would be pitted against top contenders of other styles or their teammates.

The style has so much culture even since it came to America, but very few people know about it. There are a few places that still train authentic bando, but most of what you find these days is like alot of the other watered down karate cardio kick gyms. If you find an authentic old timer though watch out! Pain is a part of the game.

Plenty of bareknuckle sparring as well as 6 hour practices, drills, fighting people that outweigh you by alot...But I have heard that Dr. Gyi's practices in the 70s and 80s were even worse. We also trained to fight through being hit in the groin. And I mean HIT-front thrust kick from someone 60 pounds heavier than me. It dropped me but I was able to fight through it when it was someone my size. Adrenaline masks alot of the pain in that kind of sparring until after the practice.

Overall it was insane and various members of my team have applied it on the street succesfully, but they also have grappling backgrounds to back it up. I quit training hard style burmese kb when my best friend broke my rib in a sparring match with a hammer punch to the sternum.

www.usabando.com
www.americanbandoassociation.com

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Inside Man said:
"MMA is a sport. There are more effective martial arts forms.

Lethwei and old-style muay thai for example are more effective stand-up options in real fights because they incorporate headbutts and aspects of bear-knuckle (which changes things a lot)."

Thats really cool to hear someone mention lethwei...I trained the American form, called Bando, under one of Dr. Moaung(sp) Gyi's 1st class of black belts for over a year and it was brutal. Dr. Gyi supposedly beat Bruce Lee in a match, I don't know if that is true or not. Chuck Norris used to referee Bando matches in the 1970s in Washington DC where it was introduced in the U.S. Bando fighters would be pitted against top contenders of other styles or their teammates.

The style has so much culture even since it came to America, but very few people know about it. There are a few places that still train authentic bando, but most of what you find these days is like alot of the other watered down karate cardio kick gyms. If you find an authentic old timer though watch out! Pain is a part of the game.

Plenty of bareknuckle sparring as well as 6 hour practices, drills, fighting people that outweigh you by alot...But I have heard that Dr. Gyi's practices in the 70s and 80s were even worse. We also trained to fight through being hit in the groin. And I mean HIT-front thrust kick from someone 60 pounds heavier than me. It dropped me but I was able to fight through it when it was someone my size. Adrenaline masks alot of the pain in that kind of sparring until after the practice.

Overall it was insane and various members of my team have applied it on the street succesfully, but they also have grappling backgrounds to back it up. I quit training hard style burmese kb when my best friend broke my rib in a sparring match with a hammer punch to the sternum.

www.usabando.com
www.americanbandoassociation.com
You think you can beat a Gracie?

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Knowledge

I have trained in jiu jitsu casually for a few years after hs wrestling. So no, to your ridiculous question.

Matt Hughes has beaten Royce Gracie. Sakuraba has beaten several gracies. Wanderlei brutally finished Sakuraba several times. Mirko knocked out Wanderlei. Gonzaga knocked out Mirko. Couture smashed Gonzaga, and it goes round and round. Martial arts are deeper than who can beat up who. Here is word for word the Bando Motto:
This is not my work at all, this was given to me by my instructor.

--BANDO MOTTO: No one nation has a monopoly of the sunlight. No one religion, race, culture or system has a monopoly of the truth. The Bando Discipline alone does not hold the truth of the martial arts. It is but one of the many disciplines in search of the truth.--

cont'd
The translation of Bando (Ban-Do) means "The way of discipline". To make progress toward perfection of the martial (fighting) arts of Bando, one must become aware of and meet the demands of self discipline. Along the paths of self discipline, one will learn about the elements of Self: the Body, the Mind, and the Spirit(Soul). The ultimate goal is to develop perfect harmony of these elements. The first step towards discipline and self defense is controlling one's inner emotions, one's behavior etc. The key is to learn, train, develop, and refine FULLY and EQUALLY the Body, Mind, and Spirit (Soul). As one is able to adapt to these principles, the progress in the martial arts as well as life in general will be astounding. There are many phases in depth to the philosophy of Bando, and they go hand in hand with the development of the many fighting forms in it. The basics of the learning and teaching in Bando is upon the realization that there is no "One True Way".

You're welcome.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Inside Man said:
I have trained in jiu jitsu casually for a few years after hs wrestling. So no, to your ridiculous question.

Matt Hughes has beaten Royce Gracie. Sakuraba has beaten several gracies. Wanderlei brutally finished Sakuraba several times. Mirko knocked out Wanderlei. Gonzaga knocked out Mirko. Couture smashed Gonzaga, and it goes round and round. Martial arts are deeper than who can beat up who. Here is word for word the Bando Motto:
This is not my work at all, this was given to me by my instructor.

--BANDO MOTTO: No one nation has a monopoly of the sunlight. No one religion, race, culture or system has a monopoly of the truth. The Bando Discipline alone does not hold the truth of the martial arts. It is but one of the many disciplines in search of the truth.--

cont'd
The translation of Bando (Ban-Do) means "The way of discipline". To make progress toward perfection of the martial (fighting) arts of Bando, one must become aware of and meet the demands of self discipline. Along the paths of self discipline, one will learn about the elements of Self: the Body, the Mind, and the Spirit(Soul). The ultimate goal is to develop perfect harmony of these elements. The first step towards discipline and self defense is controlling one's inner emotions, one's behavior etc. The key is to learn, train, develop, and refine FULLY and EQUALLY the Body, Mind, and Spirit (Soul). As one is able to adapt to these principles, the progress in the martial arts as well as life in general will be astounding. There are many phases in depth to the philosophy of Bando, and they go hand in hand with the development of the many fighting forms in it. The basics of the learning and teaching in Bando is upon the realization that there is no "One True Way".

You're welcome.

I only asked because you were all about this Bando art which is supposed to be true fighting. You'd figure if you practice it you can beat those other so called masters of their Arts like a Gracie.....

interesting concept though...

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
I only asked because you were all about this Bando art which is supposed to be true fighting. You'd figure if you practice it you can beat those other so called masters of their Arts like a Gracie.....

interesting concept though...

Yeah, sure, because there's bound to be a one true surefire way to win at street fighting. Right. :rolleyes:

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dirtyvibe said:
Remember when Jackson KOd Arona with a slam in the triangle? Imagine that on concrete. That would have literally killed Arona. Not to mention that size becomes that much more important since if you outweigh a guy by 20 lbs, you can slam him easily even if you have no training.
Well, Quinton Jackson is a freak of nature. You can't really compare a "normal" guy on the street to that guy. You put the average guy off the street into a triangle choke and he is going to sleep within seconds.

Anyway, if you do it right the guy won't be able to slam you.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup, and also make sure your angle is good. Your head shouldn't line up with the other guy's head, if it does he can slam you or stack you. If you are off to the side, the choke will be tighter and he will be unable to slam you, and if he tries to stack you you can sweep him because he will have no base to one side. It also makes switching to the arm bar a lot easier.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try going to a school, they will show you. You could have already been training for 4 months by now.

e-lie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a big fan of russian based fighting styles like sambo and systema hey inside man u r one of the few guys on here who knows whats he's talking about.Most people watch blood sport which is a total sham movie and think the know everything:)

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Try going to a school, they will show you. You could have already been training for 4 months by now.

But it's work to do that, whereas this Martial Arts Wanking (MAW) requires no sweat at all.

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
haha MAW. You actually promote yourself within MAW, it is going to change the MMA world! I think I'm going to give myself a........red belt with two stripes in escrima today! That wasn't hard at all, a little MA wanking is all it takes!

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks e-lie. Sambo is a really interesting sport, must be interesting to train the favorite style of emelianenko! Do they actually teach you how to survive the randleplex in sambo? You would think so!

Tex

Don Juan
Reaction score
The best thing martial arts can teach you is probably the survival mindset. Call it being paranoid or what have you but always checking my six and being aware of my surroundings was what I learned from my instructor. You do whatever comes naturally to you and take whatever opportunity your attacker gives you to disable him or end the situation.

SchoolBoy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wolf said:
Try this:

www.streetfightsecrets.com

Bob Spour is ex-SAS, so he knows what he's on about, throw "Bob Spour" into YouTube and you'll get a good idea, also check out Tony Blauer, he's worth a look.

As he says, and in my opinion, being an ex-black belt in Shotokahn style karate (I think that's how you spell it), most of what they teach will not be effective in real life unless you are like Jackie Chan or a total expert who has trained for YEARS. You may notice, in real life, the guys you are fighting WILL NOT play fair, will not stop if your hurt and will hit you wherever they think they can which will deal most damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk_Ai8qT2s4

In that, he also tells why Martial Artists lose street fights, and check out the comments some are helpful too...

I'd like to hear true stories from ANYBODY here who has used martial arts effectively in a street fight, 'cause I don't think it's gonna happen. Or even if you have, I bet it wasn't as simple as the stuff shown in these links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWl7tjxe6Q&feature=related

Here's some more watching for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWeCWtI3d5c&feature=related (the Bob he speaks of is Bob Spour)

The list goes on, THIS is the sort of stuff you need to be teaching yourself...
Agreed, Bob Spour knows what he's talking about. His techniques resemble that of Krav Maga.

It really depends if you're talking about a fight to the death or multiple opponents, or with weapons..

Real life application of fighting involves from knowing how to use ur fist empty handed all the way up to firearms usage. You can't be a master of all trades.

If you're talking about a 1v1 fight with rules like no cheap shots and no weapons.. I'd give Boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ, basically MMA.

If you're talking about a fight to the death at a bar and CANNOT get away, I'd avoid going to the ground, and use Krav Maga techniques such like Bob Spour's.

If it's just a street fight and you don't know if the enemy is packing a knife or whatnot. I'd suggest you to not get into it and run. It's not worth it.