Be a risktaker - Take action TODAY

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Holland said:
The sad fact remains that OP is attacking something which he does not understand. Most self-improvement teachers are not people who avoid risks. These are also the teachers that are the most respected in the field of personal development.

I know what idea the OP is presenting, but I also know that his presentation is flawed. That is the reason behind my post.

If OP would've listened to any of the advice of teachers of self-improvement he would've known that taking risks is a MAJOR part of this lifestyle.
And that it includes taking risks in ALL areas of your life, not taking risks in one area so you can exclude them in others.

What he really is referring to is the whole idea of (un)certainty. The neurotic way of dealing with it is minimizing risks so he can have more certainty in the external world. The healthy way of dealing with it is taking risks and knowing that he will ultimately benefit from new experiences and lessons that will be learned. (which leads to certainty in the internal world IOW: Self-esteem/confidence)

What OP is doing here is posting a well intentioned thread to bring to notice a neurotic behavior (avoiding risks) so we won't fall into this trap (which is a good idea).
The flaw in it is that he's criticising self-improvement, which is a constructive thing.

I think it's noble to point out certain weak points in a post, so that newbies/youngsters on this site won't go around thinking that self-improvement is not a good idea.

That has nothing to do with wanting to sound smart. It has to do with an understanding that newbies/youngsters/afc's are not yet at the same level of comprehension as you and I.
It's an issue of semantics...how you define "self-improvement" vs how I define "self-improvement".

Yes, self-improvement is a noble cause. So is chivalry. But you've seen what it gets you if you rely on it to dictate your actions with women. So is being a moral, upstanding member of society in general.

The problem is that most people on this forum would be better off SHEDDING self-improvement for a little while...yes, by BOTH definitions...and indulging themselves in pure risk-taking with the ladies JUST for the experience, than try to control what has become an addiction, what has taken the place of rationalization or chivalry in inhibiting them from taking risks.

If you think about it long enough, ANYTHING can become an excuse not to do something.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SELF IMPROVEMENT IS THE COWARDS WAY OF AVOIDING RISK!!!
Risk is neither here nor there when discussing self-improvement. I take risks every day, the kind of risks that you just have to stiffen your upper lip and suck it up. That has no bearing on the notion of self-improvement.

However, digging a little deeper, you do have a point.

Get off your ass and stop practicing. Start performing.

An analogy would be a basketball player who spends all day on the court shooting hoops and "getting ready" for when he finally gets in the ring, but never actually performs or puts his ass on the line. All show, no go.

Putting an emphasis on inner game.

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you think about it long enough, ANYTHING can become an excuse not to do something.
I agree that you shouldn't say: "I'm not gonna approach that chick I like because I'm still practicing eye contact for 3 months."

But that is not my point. My idea of improvement is: The more you challenge yourself, the better.

Like I said, the first one is a neurotic form of hiding behind self-improvement.
The second is the constructive way of using authentic Self-improvement.

Our scared little ego's seem to really like it to rationalise things away and still not take action. So if you don't observe yourself carefully it'll even use a constructive thing like self-improvement to use as an excuse.

I think that's ultimately where it comes down to. Know your motives, make sure you're living constructively and keep on challenging your current boundaries by taking risks.

beastmaster79

Don Juan
Reaction score
approaching is self improvement

instead of shedding layers of flab you are shedding anxiety and awkwardness. instead of building muscle you are adding slabs of boldness and confidence.

FutureSpartan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
beastmaster79 said:
approaching is self improvement

instead of shedding layers of flab you are shedding anxiety and awkwardness. instead of building muscle you are adding slabs of boldness and confidence.
Word to that. I have approached so many women that I actually get a positive rush from doing it now. No more fear or anxiety!

Mjazz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What I got from this is that no matter how much you improve, you will always find something wrong with you, some excuse, some insecurity. Why not just go out and take the risks and do what you would do if you reached your "perfect" ideal right now. Because if you dont do it now, you will just keep putting it off indefinitely. Everything is always easier tommorrow, its just a self defeating cycle.

beastmaster79

Don Juan
Reaction score
you improve enough so that you can continue to upgrade so that the women you get will always excite you. if you stagnate you will start to get bored with a certain level of women. so you need to constantly improve so that you can satisfay your desire for novelty.

any level of success becomes boring after a while. the key is improving yourself at a rate that is fun, exciting and sustainable.

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Learning to enjoy taking risk was the turning point in my life. I didn't read this entire thread but I think I got the major point.

Taking risk is essential to an above average life. Risk either ends in success or failure. Self improvement increases the odds of success.

Both parts are important for maximizing your outcome but at the same time you never know what you could have achieved by just taking the risk itself. A good plan now is better than a perfect plan in 15 minutes.

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Learning to enjoy taking risk was the turning point in my life.
It really is an empowering moment when you say: "Fuuck what happens, I'm just going to enjoy the thrill of the roll of the dice."

Progress is impossible if you never take a risk. :up:

Love_Hustla

Reaction score
A month has passed since I last checked into the site and I had nearly forgotten about this post. Now that I come back, I see that the topic I brought up is still being discussed. Admittedly, my personal strengths lie in the creation of innovative ideas, and not in the presentation. I truely wish that I had more carefully chose the words I used to present my thoughts, because I feel that a true understanding of the message in my post is something that the majority of the posters on this site could benefit from.

I'm an intelligent man. Before I posted my advice, I looked around the site and saw the constant preaching of self-improvement and as I began typing out my thoughts, I wasn't expecting to please everyone. Attacking a lifestyle that many of you had adopted, I knew what I was in for.

It is now that I should point out that I wasn't truely attacking self-improvement as a whole, but the mannor in which some people on this site are abusing it.

I am in fact attacking the way members of this site are fearfully hiding behind self-improvement to avoid getting burned by a woman. Let me elaborate. New members of this site are given the impression that they aren't good enough to get a women YET.

So they completely avoid going out and meeting and approaching women, because they genuienely (and wrongfully) believe that they aren't worthy of these women yet. They adopt a negative SELF-IMAGE. All of a sudden they make women these amazing, godly creatures and make it seem like they well out of their league. So what do they do? They go to the gym daily, tape record their voices, spend hours reading Pook's articles and scrutinize and 'improve' EVERY characteristic they possess.

They tell themselves, when I get my teeth whitened I'll be a ladies man, or when I put on some more muscle I'll be pimping. But as they fix one 'flaw' a new one arises. They convince themselves that there is something wrong with them and in turn are creating impossible obstacles for themselves that simply DON'T EXIST.

The simple truth is that no matter how hard a man tries, he will never be that perfect man that he is tirelessly persuing. The good news, however, is that you don't need to be perfect to get that HB10. (which also doesn't exist, but that's for a different thread)

The message of my thread isn't to get fat, ugly or to dress like a slob. You can continue to 'improve yourself' if you wish. (Hell if I was obese, I would want to lose weight for the health benefits alone) HOWEVER, as you participate in self-improvement, DO NOT expect things to instantly get easier with women. You will still have the same anxieties and fears inside of you. And guess what? They aren't going to be any easier to tackle 6 months down the road.

ATTACK YOUR FEARS TODAY!

Go out now and take risks with women. Don't wait, you'll regret it. Be sexual, be forward and be HONEST about your intentions. Walk right up to that HB and talk to her. It will soon become an addiction much healthier than self-improvement. And believe me, the benefits of the lifestyle are endless. :up: You don't need to improve yourself, you simply need to become that ballsy, risk-taking man that's trapped inside of you.

Because gentlemen I think once you guys get out in the field, you'll begin to realise that despite what you tell yourself now, you're really doing these self-improving activities to make yourself worthy of that HB10. And once you get out into the field and meet her you may just realise that you had been wasting your time.

Love_Hustla

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Pook, I feel his posts are a bit overrated around here. (See: Skinny Guy) However I know that if I'm going to get through to some of you 'Master Don Juans' who have been around for ages, I'll have to convince(manipulate :crackup:) you by using probably the most famous poster in the sites history.

Pook said:
So when you think, “I have been on this forum for X amount of time! And I am STILL A) Virgin B) Single C) Non-LTR D) Not getting the girl I want. I have A) Read the DJ Bible again and again B) Gotten advice from the posters here C) Read and bought many DJ books.”

Consider: “Are you trying to PERFECT yourself when it comes to women or are you trying to HUMANIZE yourself that you find interacting with women as natural as breathing?”

(Later in the post)

[When you see a girl you want to approach] Your brain will spin out all these reasons why you are unworthy…

“Cheap and wimpy car.”
“Poor clothes”
“Shortness”
“Bad haircut”
“No money.”
“Not as good looking”
“No confidence”
“Past failures”

Perfect is boring!
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58526