Alcoholism

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow mate... that post really was an eye opener.

Props for appearing to pull through what was obviously an incredibly life changing period... I couldn't imagine there was that much behind it all...

You're lucky to have such great friends, who no doubt will respect your goals and help you to lay off the poison.

I'm not sure if it's been raised, and will seem trivial in the scheme of things, but it will be a bonus to think of the advantages of having the extra cash otherwise spent on alcohol. An incentive may even be to dedicate it to some sort of investment... if you're anything like a few fairly heavy drinkers i know, it amounts to a significant figure each week.

Your mates can possibly aid in the other half of the equation, that being offered drinks etc...

Keep us posted with your progress.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheRelic
Wow mate... that post really was an eye opener.

Props for appearing to pull through what was obviously an incredibly life changing period... I couldn't imagine there was that much behind it all...

You're lucky to have such great friends, who no doubt will respect your goals and help you to lay off the poison.

I'm not sure if it's been raised, and will seem trivial in the scheme of things, but it will be a bonus to think of the advantages of having the extra cash otherwise spent on alcohol. An incentive may even be to dedicate it to some sort of investment... if you're anything like a few fairly heavy drinkers i know, it amounts to a significant figure each week.

Your mates can possibly aid in the other half of the equation, that being offered drinks etc...

Keep us posted with your progress.
Thanks mate. I will definately keep you posted, will be good to get it off my chest I guess in the times I am finding it hard, and the times of which (I think), will be experiencing a lot of anxiety and a real need to just have a "few", of which I know will turn into a LOT!

As far as the money, yeah that will be a good bonus, I spend anywhere from $100-$200 on a night out. Not to mention, I get terrible hangovers, cause trouble, am paranoid the next day and have severely damaged other people in the process.

Yeah my mates have been good, even the alcoholic ones who blackout also, have told me FOR THE FIRST TIME, that I have a real serious problem and need to stop drinking alltogether! Not to mention, my girlfriend at the moment, of which is probably the best girl I have ever met (and I have dated close to 100, totally lost count but somewhere in that vicinity), has even called me abusive! Definately not a good thing to hear, considering she gives me nothing but support and does everything she possibly can for me in day to day life. Just makes me even more ashamed and gives me further reason to get off the poison!

S-lemond

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sazuki
I don't really think you are a alcoholic, but you do have a bit of a problem yeah. Why do you drink, because your feel depressed or lonely? or because you like to party like crazy?

What I recommend is changing the way you spend your time, avoid getting into drinking situations. Stop going out in the weekend and do some sport or somethng, untill you can really go out and have fun without alcohol.

Good luck man, good choise on changing your behaviour.
plz define achoholic then

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I went to DUI school for a DUI I recived over a year ago. If any of you have questions about drinking problems go to any state funded site pretaining to DUI... Except for MADD, because the founder of that organization was convicted for DUI twice before they made her retire. Lives are at stake here folks, binge drinking is a big deal, if any of you feel like you need help or know some one who does, do whatever it takes to straighten out...please.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CLOONEY, I also have a similair sort of problem, but not to the degree.

When I drink, I end up drinking hard, and getting really drunk, and often when I get to this point, I turn extremely aggressive and cannot control myself.

Since I need to focus on getting bigger and building muscle, I have to stop though.

Reaction score
Clooney, I have been on this site since 2001 and I really respect you. I'll offer my own 2 cents.

First, about the anti-depressants. I am sure whoever suggested them on here meant well. But, this is not a case that anti-depressants are needed Anti-depressants are abused by the medical establishment and will offer you no benefit whatsover, especially at this point. I know, I have been on them. Anti-depressants are a good temporary solution for someone who is so depressed they can't roll out of bad 7 days a week. Also, drinking while on them is DANGEROUS. I know. I Have done it.

Second, you might not be an actually everyday addict. doesn't sound like you are. To me, you are a "problem drinker". Which means when you DO drink, problems arise. I have friends like this. They are not alcoholcs in the sense that they drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But when they do drink, there alcohol fires up there inner demons. From what I have heard, it sounds like you.

It may not be just the alcohol causing the problem. Many people can drink alot during the weekend and be fine (alhtough its still bad). You seem to have some underlying problems that need to be cut off at the root.

Which means you should probably seek help from a professional. Tell the doctor you want a cognitive based healing method. Do not settle for one of those docs that want to medicate you with anti-depressants, benzos, and the like. You have an emotional issue that needs to be dealt with. Check around your area for doctors who are trained in cogninitive therapy. And they will be able to help you.

I think the fact that you are able to admit you have a problem soldifies your DJ status.

And I am glad you are ok from the crash.

Peace

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TurboOverCubicInches

...Tell the doctor you want a cognitive based healing method. Do not settle for one of those docs that want to medicate you with anti-depressants, benzos, and the like. You have an emotional issue that needs to be dealt with. Check around your area for doctors who are trained in cogninitive therapy. And they will be able to help you.

I think the fact that you are able to admit you have a problem soldifies your DJ status.

And I am glad you are ok from the crash.

Peace

I'm all for CBT.

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=72444&search_text=Alcoholism

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Aztec, I will check out that website soon.

Turbo, thanks mate. Cheers for the advice!

Workerouter, you dont have a large problem, YET. If it runs in your family, you most definately will! If not, you may just need to not drink so much. Probably better to get into the habbit now, than later. I was like you and stopped drinking for periods of time for my sports, but always ended up back on the booze on the binge night every couple weeks.

As far as my drinking, these problems I have stated have run over years and years. Infact, over a 7 year period. This is why I knew I had a problem, but this is the first real time I knew it was large! Not every single time I get drunk do I get aggressive, most of the time I am like the ordinary guy, have fun, party and go home. Its just on occassions that I have negatively affected myself and the people around me.

Further, to clear things up, I definately do not have an addictive nature! Not whatsoever. Its just once I start, I cannot stop, and from my perspecitve, its just been the culture of my life (drinking is what I have done on weekends, it was just the natural thing to do). Not that I was absoutely craving a drink! Although sometimes I would get anxious and feel the need to drink. So, in a large sense I would not say I am "addicted", it is more a case of once I start, I cannot stop. Hence, why I cant start! I already have stable foundations of my life, good family now, a stable good girlfriend, great friends, a lot of hobbies and passions, so its not like I dont have things to fill in my time. I just have to break that cycle and get used to doing them on weekends instead of hitting the clubs! That will be the real hard part! Considering I am a very social person and love meeting new people (especially woman)! Although, for the time being, I am more than happy with my girlfriend and have no desire whatsoever to meet other girls!

As far as the anxiety. I went away to Sydney on the weekend, my friends drank but I did not touch a drop. I drank a couple of redbulls instead and had more fun than in a while! I had great nights out! I did not feel the need to drink, although it did feel a little odd. I know in time however, it will probably get harder to not drink, although once I have established a new habbit and am used to not drinking, it will be much easier!

Hopefully establishing the new habbit will be easier than I hoped. Further, hopefully some will realise they have a problem too after reading this and be able to admit it to themselves. If you are comfortable with yourself, it is easy to admit, and easy to let people know you dont drink anymore! Even though a lot just say "bullsh*t" and tell you there is no way you can do it! All the more reason to do it!

Cheers, hopefully that was not too much of a rant!

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clooney

Want to hear about some of your fighting experiences while you were out. Did you boxing help? Did you ever lose to someone who used another style, like wrestling?

I know this is off topic but you have some real world experience and I'd like to hear about some situations you've been where you had to scrap.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jayer
Clooney

Want to hear about some of your fighting experiences while you were out. Did you boxing help? Did you ever lose to someone who used another style, like wrestling?

I know this is off topic but you have some real world experience and I'd like to hear about some situations you've been where you had to scrap.
lol, man, fighting while mute is not a good thing! One time I was tackled to the ground and hit about 20 times without even recalling any of it. All I remember was all of a sudden asking a mate why my lips felt swollen, then he told me I was in a brawl. Another time, I woke up in hospital getting 8 stitches in my ear, no idea how I got there or what happened. Another time I was mute and barely remember punching a MASSIVE guy in the head (I was only about 15), broke one of his teeth, then I was smashed to the ground and booted off the ground with steel caps, broke 2 ribs.

Other than that, I remember them all and have not "lost". Although I have ended up with damaged knuckles, scared ****less because after I hit people they did not get up, just lye in a pool of blood and looked dead. Found out later they went to hospital but were ok! Others just hit people onto their azzes and they just sat there and would not get up. Others would just walk away.

Either way, I have NEVER fought anybody who used anything other than the basics, punches, headbuts (which dont do sh*t) and wrestling! Nobody has EVER used a kick against me. It all happens too quick for them to think about it.

Either way, I am retired from street fights and other than a couple weeks ago (where I had 4 teeth mark cuts in my knuckles), I have not had a fight in over a year. "winner" ends up with knuckles and the feeling of "what goes around comes around", while the looser ends up with dented pride and a smashed face (or body).

Stick to fighting in the boxing ring man! Much harder on your body, much more skillful and more rewarding!

Lost In Translation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drink Driving

i have been there CLOONEY

i got sentanced to 3 months jail for drink driving when i was 21

sitting in a jail cell at the police station with glass in my eye from where the drivers window busted and shot glass into my eye when i side swiped a car during the police pursuit

with a broken nose from where the police started beating me because they were upset and afraid

have the cops putting a glock to the back of your head while you are handcuffed on the ground totally defensless knowing that the cop is so upset / scared that there is a good chance he may "accidently" pull the trigger

knowing that you just totally f*cked up the $30,000 hire car and that insurance doesn't cover drink drivers

sitting in a cell in the poice station wondering if the people in the car that you side swiped are ok because you managed to spin their toyota torago 90 degrees when you swiped it going 100+ kilometres per hour

the time it takes to find out the people in the car you hit are ok and the feeling of knowing what it feels like to think you have killed innocent people and that you are going to spend life in prison

getting down on your knees inside a jail cell and praying to God that the people in the car that you hit are ok and can He please lower the blood alcohol level in your blood by a miracle before they test you on the big machine

sitting there thinking back retracing the steps to you ruining your life in a mistake that happened in an instant

going to court and paying a f*cking good for nothing barristor $1000 cash per appearance off the books to do nothing !

you legal representation not telling you and you not fiding out till a few years later why the magistrate said he was sendng you to jail before he had even heard the facts

finding out his daughter had been killed by a drunk driver and that is why he said it as soon as i stood up the first time "you are going to jail"

and your legal reprisentation never got the court case changed to a non biased judge

the magistrate setting bail at $5,000 at 4pm when the bank shuts at 5pm so no friends or relatives will have a decent chance to bail you out thus guaranteeing you will do the time

appealing to a district court and going before a proper judge and the police prosecutor standing up and saying "do you know someone just got 4 years for a situation similar to yours"

not knowing what to say to the above statement and freaking out because you are appealing 3 months and by giving a misleading statement the police prosecutor is trying to send you up for more time in jail

having you photo in a major paper with the story of what you did

being ashamed and considering suicide beause of how ashamed you feel because of the newspaper articles

the feeling of shame and no reason to live when everyone you meet says they saw you in the papers

not understanding why i am in the papers when all the worse crimes seem to go unpublished

going to jail for the first time as an adult for driving offenses

being in jail with very bad people

not fitting in because apart from the drinking you did you are not a drug dealer or murderer

having the balls to go to an AA meeting in jail when they call it over the loud speaker and everyone rolls their eyes and makes comments about people who go to AA

seeing fights, 1 stabbing and a people come to take away body of person who hung himself in a cell

having to become an animal to survive

not knowing how to stop being the monster when you get out

not knowing how to relate in a shopping centre when you see all these happy people who buy ice cream and shop and stuff

having just walked out of hell and feeling like you don't belong

the feeling that society said you no longer deserve to be among them and to be locked up in a cage like an animal

sleeping on the floor in your room when theres a bed there because for some strange reason you can't sleep on the bed every since you were in jail

losing your drivers licence for 2 years

losing your girlfriend because you no longer think you are worthy to have anything good in life and so you push her away

pushing away all your family and friends because you are afraid to hear for the millionth time "i saw you in the paper"

living like a hermit and outcast for 2 years not able to get a job because you don't know how to handle it all

Having flashabcks of jail sometimes lasting for hours leaving you in a trance like state this is called post traumatic stress disorder

CLOONEY i believe you when you say you can quit.

your drinking sounds like my drinking. it is not a classic case of alcoholism.

even alot of people in the AA meeting won't understand that your drinking problem is alittle different

we also share something in common. we drink and drive.

this doesn't work so well in Australia where drink driving is considered a worse crime then drug dealing and police corruption

you said you had an accident well that is your warning.

you can stop yourself CLOONEY you have that power where most people don't

but know that as powerful as we are we have a weakness. once we start we do a proper job of drinking.

you need to outsmart yourself. you need to plan ahead.

you know if you start drinking you are going to have a good go of it and do a proper job

and you know you are going to drive

quitting drinking is the only way to outsmart yourself

if people hassle you ( and they will ) tell the your uncle on his death bed made you promise to give up drinking LOL

tell the haters and typical average yobo POOR PEOPLE of australia anything

and if they don't get the point give them a thousand yard stare and tell to back the f*ck off

There is no point being a success in life to have it all taken away in an instant by a silly mistake

prove them all wrong

you don't need it

and make sure you do it before it's too late

Lost In Translation

" stop being insecure " i hate that saying. it's a cop out for not having enough balls to confront a woman about what she is doing THAT IS WRONG or potentially damaging to a long term relationship. – Lost In Translation

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wow Clooney you definitely do have experience fighting outside.

Those times you lost, was it against 1 guy, or did a group of guys attack you? You obviously were knocked out... have you ever been knocked out in the ring as well? I asked this guy at the boxing gym what it was like to be knocked out.

He said you have a head ache and you feel like you have a heavy backpack on your shoulders. Is that accurate?

It sounds like you have one the majority of your fights though which is good. I know one day I'll be forced into a situation where I will have to throw down, so thats why I am very interested in this subject. Any advice you can give is appreciated as always.

As far as drinking which is what this thread is really about. I do drink heavily also, but I try to do it just on the weekends. I don't think drinking on the weekend is a bad thing, but if you can prevent yourself from acting stupid when your drunk, it probably would help a lot. I used to be like that, but several friends pointed out how I was acting, so I toned it down a bit.

In any case, being buzzed makes my game better!

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jayer
wow Clooney you definitely do have experience fighting outside.

Those times you lost, was it against 1 guy, or did a group of guys attack you? You obviously were knocked out... have you ever been knocked out in the ring as well? I asked this guy at the boxing gym what it was like to be knocked out.

He said you have a head ache and you feel like you have a heavy backpack on your shoulders. Is that accurate?

It sounds like you have one the majority of your fights though which is good. I know one day I'll be forced into a situation where I will have to throw down, so thats why I am very interested in this subject. Any advice you can give is appreciated as always.

As far as drinking which is what this thread is really about. I do drink heavily also, but I try to do it just on the weekends. I don't think drinking on the weekend is a bad thing, but if you can prevent yourself from acting stupid when your drunk, it probably would help a lot. I used to be like that, but several friends pointed out how I was acting, so I toned it down a bit.

In any case, being buzzed makes my game better!
I have never been knocked out! When I say dont recall, it was because I was so drunk I was blacked out. The time I was tackled to the ground, it was by one guy from behind, afterwards I just got up and yelled and the guy ran away (dont remember any of it, but was not knocked out).

Time I "woke" up in hospital. My I was hit to the side of my head (a kinghit in a crowd in a club), nobody knew who threw the punch cause everyone (my mates) was drunk. Appaerntly I would not go to hospital, but was refused entry to every club (even by my friends who were the bouncers), they just said I need to get to hospital cause I was covered in blood. The next day, the top of the turtle neck sweater I was wearing was hard dry in blood and my white jeans were covered. When I meant "woke up" in hospital I mean I came back to reality! It is when my memory kicked back in! This just shows how mute I get!

I have further never been knocked out in the boxing ring. This is one reason I did well in fights, cause there was no stopping me (at least until my ribs were broken), after that, I knew I was beaten, no point getting destroyed by a guy tripple the size and with years on me!

As far as advice! Avoid the situation! Most times, you will not need to fight if you dont mouth off and get back in their face, just walk away. Live to fight another day! If push comes to shove and you HAVE to fight, just get real aggressive, if a guy sees there is no quit in you, he will become intimidated and will usually not put up much of a fight after that. But that comes a lot from animal instinct!

As far as drinking, its been two weeks now am I have loved my nights out on red bull! Totally sober but totally pumped! Probably had one of the best nights of my life last night and didnt have a drop of alcohol!

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lost, thanks for that post! I have replied to your PM.

Some of those words really impacted me and like I said in the PM, I could see you fortelling me exactly what was planned for me!

You seem to have really written that from your heart, and this is why I think the words flowed so well and you made such a good choice of words to really impact on me!

Cheers mate, much appreciated!

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CLOONEY

As far as advice! Avoid the situation! Most times, you will not need to fight if you dont mouth off and get back in their face, just walk away. Live to fight another day!
wtf
If push comes to shove and you HAVE to fight, just get real aggressive, if a guy sees there is no quit in you, he will become intimidated and will usually not put up much of a fight after that. But that comes a lot from animal instinct!
!
if it gets to the point you HAVE to fight, the guy is not likely to be intimidated, IF anything, if you put "got real aggressive to me" I would get even more aggressive at you until someone broke us up or one of us was unconscious.

Finlay

Don Juan
Reaction score
This isnt about CLOONEY'S fighting. Plus it wont make any sense to anyone if hes wasted will it?

As far as im concerned, this is normal stuff, the morning after a big niight people fell ashamed of what they have done or blackout and feel like they have wasted a few hours of their life- just vanished.

I personally think that, for you to acknowledge what is going opn when you drink, is a step forward, i dont think you have a drink problem.

i think youre growing up- when your young youi like to go out and party and now you wondering if it is all really worth it.

Its not, sure having a drink in a club is fun- try not having a drink and youll realise how much you actually dont want to be there.

Ive tries, and the next time i went to a club i got completly ****faced and banged some chick on the side of the road, (who happens to live 3 doors down from me) who looks like a mousse. Hell, never drinking again i said. Next time at the club didnt drink and found my self leaving early because it was an unenjoyable infact it was ****

i think what im saying is i found out that in order to cope with the atmosphere of a club, you have to drink.

better off without it.

Epic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is a poem I wrote about addiction. It's amateur, but I like it. Maybe it will help in some way.

Overcome

You bring the best out of me
But you also bring the worst out of me
Why is it that I let you destroy me?
Alas, I can't stop loving you

You take all the pain away
Just to bring it back in another way
Why is it that I ignore all the scars?
If I could just stop loving you

When is a friend not a friend?
If that friend can murder you in the end
Why is it that I cherish a villain?
Maybe I can stop loving you

What does it take to be king?
The young hobbit must destroy the one ring
Why is it that I submit to your call?
I know I can stop loving you

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by RaWBLooD
wtf

if it gets to the point you HAVE to fight, the guy is not likely to be intimidated, IF anything, if you put "got real aggressive to me" I would get even more aggressive at you until someone broke us up or one of us was unconscious.
How many fights you been in? Some people, VERY rarely will have a very strong spirit and no regard to consequence and will fight back until its brutal! How often does that happen? I have only experienced it once! Both ended up in hospital! Anybody "win"? NO!

Usually a fight will be broken up, however some fights spill out into carparks and bouncers just leave it be, even the police sometimes will not do anything if there are too many people! Most of the time, one guy after being hit mutilple times will give up his bravado image and try and talk! I KNOW, I have experienced it! You are 18 and probably been in very few fights. If you think you are experienced, you are simply lying!

And why WTF to walk away? Once again, if your ballz are as big as you talk, you will see the true result of fighting once you end up in hospital! AND YOU WILL! Every single guy who loves to fight and does so frequently ends up very damaged and in hospital at one time or another! Might take months before it happens, might take years, but trust me, IT WILL HAPPEN! That or you will end up in Jail! Either way, you are going to get busted up! Nobody is super human! Grow up kid!

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Finlay
This isnt about CLOONEY'S fighting. Plus it wont make any sense to anyone if hes wasted will it?

As far as im concerned, this is normal stuff, the morning after a big niight people fell ashamed of what they have done or blackout and feel like they have wasted a few hours of their life- just vanished.

I personally think that, for you to acknowledge what is going opn when you drink, is a step forward, i dont think you have a drink problem.

i think youre growing up- when your young youi like to go out and party and now you wondering if it is all really worth it.

Its not, sure having a drink in a club is fun- try not having a drink and youll realise how much you actually dont want to be there.

Ive tries, and the next time i went to a club i got completly ****faced and banged some chick on the side of the road, (who happens to live 3 doors down from me) who looks like a mousse. Hell, never drinking again i said. Next time at the club didnt drink and found my self leaving early because it was an unenjoyable infact it was ****

i think what im saying is i found out that in order to cope with the atmosphere of a club, you have to drink.

better off without it.
I thought the same as you! That was until a couple weeks back, I had more fun than ever just about, maybe more fun than ever last saturday night, infact I did even better with the woman. Even though I have a girflriend, I still talked to them. One had a boyfriend and was harassing me for hours, saying all kinds of stuff, she was in love with the fact that I didnt drink also!

Another asked me straight out if I would have sex with her! lol. Both were hot, one extremelly stunning!

Further, after experiencing what you just say (banging girls in random places) amongst other rediculous stuff, I think it is far better for me to do without it! Not to mention, I am enjoying it just as much without it. Its just about getting your head around the concept of not drinking and letting everybody know firmly that you have stopped! Once you dont have it in your mind that the weekend is the time to get plastered, its really easy to go without it!

Well that is my experience SO FAR. lol, hopefully it remains this easy!