Going to be another brutal summer for much of the US it appears...

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While I want to respectfully give the AGW discussion a rest, namely as it’s not getting any of us any awards for upright and proper conduct, this is a very important issue to me and probably one for another thread on another forum given the politics/derailing ban.

To me censorship or moderation should tackle:

- Threats
- Conspiracy to commit crime
- Ad Hominem (this is quite a grey area)
I'm happy to start a separate thread on the sorry state of free speech on a social level these days. If you're down to participate, let me know

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm happy to start a separate thread on the sorry state of free speech on a social level these days. If you're down to participate, let me know
Probs will fall foul of the politics rule

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Free speech does not apply to private anything
Thus I said "The state of free speech on a social level". It's true.... The 1st Amendment itself is of limited use, if our culture is more adverse to free expression than usual, as is the case in America these days

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not taking sides. I think the extremes, in this case, are, in fact, extremes—the real story most likely lies somewhere between the two camps. Do greenhouse gases accelerate things? Yes, it's scientifically proven. Is Mars warmer? Yes, it is, its scientifically proven. Both processes are causing the temperature fluctuations we are seeing. And each camp has its own reasons to bolster the stories.
Therein lies another parallel between card-carrying Red Pillers and Eco-Warriors. Whereas the latter invokes the label "Lukewarmer" against all those who dare to openly not agree with them on every last talking point

The former hurls the term "Purple Pill" at those of who question the tenets of Red Pill Theology out loud

Neither Environmentalists nor Red Pillers realize that Lukewarmer and Purple Pill are just stand-ins for "Too heterodox for our liking"

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep and from ~1600 until 1800 you could ice skate the Thames….
And as relatively recently as 1980, London flats equipped with showers(Rather than bathtubs alone)were so uncommon, Landis had to REALLY hunt around for a suitable location in which to film this now immortal scene

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the type of intense heat wave normally seen in late July/early August , not mid June.
This year there's been a noticeable increase in home invasions, where single men who live alone with a pet Labrador Retriever, and own a PlayStation 4 are targeted. In each of these HIs, one of the assailants decapitates the Lab with a butcher's knife taken from the vic's kitchen, then forces the poor ba-tard at gunpoint to re-enact Chalamet and Hammer's more steamy scenes from Call Me By Your Name with his pooch's now headless corpse, while the other two perps play Red Dead:Redemption on the vic's PS. The rate of such incidents have gone from 0% over the past several decades, to 1% today

Like the heat wave we're currently experiencing, these bizarre crimes COULD be harbingers of an impending societal collapse. Or, both could simply be two of the many anomalies which occur EVERY year, and who's long-term significance are ultimately miniscule

One can take any single phenomena out of it's larger context(Yeah, the weather's currently warmer than it's been in awhile. Also true: Over the past several decades, we've experienced summers which were more CHILLY than is typical. There are currently more instances of home invasion/forced bestiality&necrophilia than is typical... This is only because no such crimes have ever occurred in the years that data has been recorded. These incidents still only make up less than 0.000005% of all crimes currently being committed), then use this to justify a pre-existing belief

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
This year there's been a noticeable increase in home invasions, where single men who live alone with a pet Labrador Retriever, and own a PlayStation 4 are targeted. In each of these HIs, one of the assailants beheads the Lab with a butcher's knife taken from the vic's kitchen, then forces the poor ba-tard at gunpoint to re-enact Chalamet and Hammer's more steamy scenes from Call Me By Your Name, while the other two perps play Red Dead:Redemption on the vic's PS. The rate of such incidents have gone from 0% over the past several decades, to 1% today

Like the heat wave we're currently experiencing, these bizarre crimes COULD be harbingers of an impending societal collapse. Or, both could simply be two of the many anomalies which occur EVERY year, and who's long-term significance are ultimately miniscule
Either you are blind and not paying attention to what's been happening the last 20 years or you simply are ignorant. Which is it?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I just edited the post in question
The chance according to scientists who build models of climate that this warming is due to something other than humans and their warming of the atmosphere is so close to 0 it for all intents and purposes is 0.

You can continue to go "against the grain", but it's no different from these numnuts shorting the market because it "can't go any higher" and then they get wrecked when it inevitably goes higher because all of the indications are that it will.

Saying something just to say it when all evidence points the opposite direction doesn't make you look smart it makes you look clueless.

Last edited:

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The chance according to scientists who build models of climate that this warming is due to something other than humans and their warming of the atmosphere is so close to 0 it for all intents and purposes is 0.
So you're no more interested in discussing the specifics and nuances of that climate research than Jim Jones was discussing the physical evidence for his alleged healing powers. Chanting "It is so, because myself and those who think just exactly as I do, assert that it's so". Gotcha

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
So you're no more interested in discussing the specifics and nuances of that climate research than Jim Jones was discussing the physical evidence for his alleged healing powers. Chanting "It is so, because myself and those who think just exactly as I do, assert that it's so". Gotcha
There isn't much to discuss. You got it backwards. They are doing the actual science and you are spouting the nonsense internet science. Don't get it twisted and act like it's the other way around.

So tiring hearing the conspiracy theorists act like their pseudo fringe science garbage is actually the mainstream science and the actual science is some nonsense being made up.

Last edited:

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just because there's an excessive number of humans polluting the planet doesn't mean that's the only factor affecting climate and weather.

And anyone who isn't at least somewhat suspicious at "climate change" issues being aimed at the West and not countries like India and China has their head in the sand.

But as usual, reductivists gonna reduce.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Follow the Money Billy.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Just because there's an excessive number of humans polluting the planet doesn't mean that's the only factor affecting climate and weather.

And anyone who isn't at least somewhat suspicious at "climate change" issues being aimed at the West and not countries like India and China has their head in the sand.

But as usual, reductivists gonna reduce.
More like a group of nations sees the issue and actively is trying to do something about it and exert pressure on the other countries like India and China who don't seem to care at all.

None of this matters in the overall issue of runaway warming and runaway greenhouse gases accumulating at levels that haven't been seen in over 800,000 years and at rates that are completely unprecedented.

Argue that and you simply have to be willfully ignorant.

Last edited:

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So tiring hearing the conspiracy theorists act like their pseudo fringe science garbage is actually the mainstream science and the actual science is some nonsense being made up.

Not a single conspiracy theorist among them

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They have not been living in places where wet bulb temperatures exceed conditions that humans can survive in because those haven't existed until very recently. Otherwise they literally would have died.

Now they are becoming more and more common and within the next 20 years unless things change, they will cause pretty severe issues in more and more places, starting with the coastal areas of the Middle East like Yemen.

Wet bulb is the temperature combined with humidity at which the human body can no longer cool itself and will die from overheating even when in the shade and at rest. Basically, if you go outside for any length of time, you die.

There have never been those conditions existing that are as prevalent as they are now during the times humans have been living and they are increasing both in frequency of occurences and in geographical locations where it's occurring.
First off, I am one of the few folks here (as a degreed Mechanical Engineer) that truly understands wet-bulb temperature (technically it's "adiabatic saturation temperature"). The wet-bulb temperature is the temperature that a well-ventilated, wet surface reaches at equilibrium, so the skin of someone that is sweating while in a breeze (be it natural or via fanning) will be at this wet-bulb temperature. The human body generates heat even when not being exerted, and that heat has to be transferred via the skin (OK, some can be transferred out by panting like a dog), where conductive cooling (the rate of which is proportional to the temperature differential) has to be as high a rate as what is being generated internally.

A wet-bulb of 80F is quite brutal, or at least very uncomfortable, and supposedly 95F is the limit of human viability (I think it's closer to 85F, but maybe folks in India can tolerate it better).