Pasta has a unique structure, low glycemic response and doesn't contribute to obesity(STUDY)

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The “carbs = bad” stuff lately is getting weird.
It's the ketotards.
IFtards are on par with the level of annoyance the ketotards bring.

Honestly I'd rather deal with vegans. At least they acknowledge they eat the way they do for virtue, not results.

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's the ketotards.
IFtards are on par with the level of annoyance the ketotards bring.

Honestly I'd rather deal with vegans. At least they acknowledge they eat the way they do for virtue, not results.
Ketotards, carbtards, carnivoretards, sugartards, vegantards, blah, blah, blah

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting...I knew that cooking, then cooling pasta changed the structure to a more resistant starch but did not know it apparently already has some of that benefit to begin with...

Eat to live or live to eat.

One can certainly make the argument that carbs are necessary to refill glycogen stores. But the amount of glycogen storage is relatively small. So why eat largely nutrient poor food?

A question to ask: What nutrient in pasta is there that i need that isn't better supplied by another more nutrient dense food?

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A question to ask: What nutrient in pasta is there that i need that isn't better supplied by another more nutrient dense food?
The fvck? Whole grain pasta is highly nutrient dense. It is low-fat, calorie dense source of complex carbs. Very high in fiber and plant protein (complementary when paired with a legume). It has significant daily contributions of iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, manganese. It contains no sodium and a decent amount of potassium as well.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
If you go 0 carbs, how does your body generate glycogen?

Can you answer me that question without google?
Via gluconeogenesis from protein...ironically they are taking proteins main job to repair and build muscle away and forcing it to be used as a source of glycogen instead of what it should be getting used for.

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you go 0 carbs, how does your body generate glycogen?

Can you answer me that question without google?
Gluconeogenesis

Here's one back at you: There are essential proteins and essential fats that your body must get from food. Your body can create glucose without carbs. Can you name one essential carb?

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score
The fvck? Whole grain pasta is highly nutrient dense. It is low-fat, calorie dense source of complex carbs. Very high in fiber and plant protein (complementary when paired with a legume). It has significant daily contributions of iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, manganese. It contains no sodium and a decent amount of potassium as well.
Compared to what? Rice cakes? In that case i would agree.

Go ahead and eat pasta but there is a cost. Carbs have a role in the diet but a limited one.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Compared to what? Rice cakes? In that case i would agree.

Go ahead and eat pasta but there is a cost. Carbs have a role in the diet but a limited one.
Carbs are the main source of fuel for the body...despite what the keto BS crowd would have you believe. Fat burns in a carbohydrate lit flame.

Keto has it's place...in a well balanced cycle. Keto long-term? Never. It's like trying to build a house from the ground up just using a hammer. That works great for nailing down shingles and hammering in nails, but have you tried cutting wood with a hammer? Doesn't work very well.

Right tool, right job. Keeping the body in a state that is abnormal for lengthy periods of time is neither healthy nor optimal for the body. Just like eating a single food over and over again day after day means you are missing out on other nutrients the body needs most likely.

Not to mention the deleterious health effects...go ask cardiologists about their long-term keto patients.

Just because you "can" burn fat as a fuel doesn't mean it's efficient or the best source for the body.

People go put dirty fry oil in their gas tanks...does that make it good for the car?

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did keto last year and dropped 20lbs but I packed on more muscle with carbs reintroduced. I really don’t understand the pure hatred some of you have for the way another person chooses to eat. It makes no sense for a normal happy person to hate people talking keto or hate people talking carbs. I got a lot of hate and push back when I talked about keto on here, it’s weird. More than one way to skin a cat.

I will be jumping back on the Keto and IF train in January kicking off with a 3 day dry fast.

Reaction score
No wonder that almost every religion somehow restricts what their followers can eat. It's really religious fervor what you see in some vegans for example...

Carbs:
Of course it depends on individual genetics, but for building and preserving muscle mass carbs, especially well timed, are awesome!

Insulin is anabolic as hell, full glycogen stores are anabolic and good muscle pump is anabolic.
What more can you ask?

I'll rather keep protein to 1+gram/lbs, fats on the low/moderate level where I still get proper morning wood and fill up the rest of calories with carbs.

Of course during cutting carbs need to go lower, because you need to cut calories from somewhere. In my opinion it's still good idea to emphasize peri workout carbs. In lower bf% levels I'll start to get lethargic and hungry and carbs pre and intra workout really help to get proper training in.

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score
I did keto last year and dropped 20lbs but I packed on more muscle with carbs reintroduced. I really don’t understand the pure hatred some of you have for the way another person chooses to eat. It makes no sense for a normal happy person to hate people talking keto or hate people talking carbs. I got a lot of hate and push back when I talked about keto on here, it’s weird. More than one way to skin a cat.

I will be jumping back on the Keto and IF train in January kicking off with a 3 day dry fast.
Right. Many assumptions and much dogma based on anecdote and propaganda. I would guess that the commenters here track their macros. But i would be surprised if many track their micros. Tracking micros is an eye opener.

Carbs have their place. They have a role. I eat carbs. They are just not as nutrient dense as the establishment would have one believe.

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Carbs are the main source of fuel for the body...
I'm curious your explanation the mechanics of this. The body stores fat and protein but it does not store glucose.

There are several different pathways of energy metabolism in the body. Glucose, however, is regulated within a fairly tight window within the body and when there is consistently too much, disease occurs. When glycogen is stores are full, it is turned into adipose tissue because it is toxic in the body outside of that range.

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Carbs are the main source of fuel for the body...despite what the keto BS crowd would have you believe. Fat burns in a carbohydrate lit flame.

Keto has it's place...in a well balanced cycle. Keto long-term? Never. It's like trying to build a house from the ground up just using a hammer. That works great for nailing down shingles and hammering in nails, but have you tried cutting wood with a hammer? Doesn't work very well.

Right tool, right job. Keeping the body in a state that is abnormal for lengthy periods of time is neither healthy nor optimal for the body. Just like eating a single food over and over again day after day means you are missing out on other nutrients the body needs most likely.

Not to mention the deleterious health effects...go ask cardiologists about their long-term keto patients.

Just because you "can" burn fat as a fuel doesn't mean it's efficient or the best source for the body.

People go put dirty fry oil in their gas tanks...does that make it good for the car?
The only thing deleterious about keto, that i have found, is there are in fact some nutrients that are better sourced from carbs and there are times when carbs provide physiological and psychological benefit.

My research and experience has found keto to be beneficial for curing disease and improving cardiovascular and digestive issues.

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score

I used to IF but discovered it was likely doing more harm than good. Be careful, especially if you're closer to 50 y.o. than 20. Closer to 50, our bodies are just not as efficient at maintaining and recovering mm. Now fat and hair in unwanted places on the other hand....

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
The only thing deleterious about keto, that i have found, is there are in fact some nutrients that are better sourced from carbs and there are times when carbs provide physiological and psychological benefit.

My research and experience has found keto to be beneficial for curing disease and improving cardiovascular and digestive issues.
I mean that and your muscles are flatter than a pancake all the time, you lose 20%ish strength right off the rip because your muscles have no volume due to lack of glycogen(volumized muscle cells are strong muscle cells) and a bunch of other issues but sure...

Why someone would suffer the negative effects of a long term keto diet when carb cycling works better and has none of the drawbacks is beyond me, but hey, I guess people who want to demonize carbs because they can't keep their hands off donuts, cakes and ice cream can just make it easy for themselves and eliminate all of them...more like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

As to your other claims, I think you have a sample size issue and studies that examine tens of hundreds of thousands of people come up with different conclusions long term.