Workout Journal day 1

JustWuzzle

Don Juan
Reaction score
After my last workout on monday (my arms are sore and stiff) I decided to to create a workout journal. A close friend of the family gave me workout tips and showed me proper form last time. I will lift weights 3 days a week and do cardio on my off days. So today for me would be a cardio training day

tomorrow I work out my bi's tris and shoulders

then monday forearms chest and back

wednesday. I workout my legs lower back and

does this sound good or no. I'm still getting the hang of the gym and work on machines.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're splitting your workout up like that it should be:
Triceps, chest and shoulders
Back and bicep
Legs and lower back

If you're a newbie to weightlifting, I think you'd benefit much more from doing Starting Strength (or any similar program).

Also post your diet and macros, make sure to eat a lot.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm confused why both of you completely skipped abs/core in your routines?

Just going off of what my personal trainer told me: When first starting out, it is best to put less pressure on specific groups and do a full body workout each lifting day. This prepares your muscles/tendons/etc for the greater load that comes with splitting the muscle groups, and gives you general stability. He's had me do full body work for about 6 weeks, making sure during that time that my form stayed correct as weights started increasing.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot that. Beginners are recommended to do a couple of sets of abs immediately after the workout (5-12 reps).

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Either of the splits mentioned are fine. Many people reccommend doing back/chest type splits, there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with that.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
There's one thing I really want to stress to newbies.

You'll see others lifting more than you at the gym. Don't try lifting a ton of weight just so you don't look weak. I'll admit, last year I was one of those people, I saw all these kids benching and squatting 3 times more than me.

Lift what you think you can actually do, don't be ashamed of how much you lift. Just remember they started where you started.

Here's my experience with that. Last year I could only bench 75lbs and squat 125lbs. 1 year later, this year, I can now bench 180lbs and squat 265lbs and that was when I was lifting like 1-2 times a week.

JustWuzzle

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for all the tips. The owner of the gym told me not to focus to much on abs because "you work those out everytime you exercize". I don't know if that's true but I know running helps to get 6 pack going. Anyways I haven't been in the gym a while cause my arms were really stiff and sore.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its true, but as a newbie you should develop your abs so you dont injure your lower back.

Shaky

Reaction score
No reason for you to do a split at your level. You will experience far greater gains, both in strength and esthetically, with a full body workout three times a week (with additional cardio if necessary). For a few months do heavy compund exercises and increase weight each time. Have a good diet and plenty of rest or you will get shi**y results. Remember to start with low weights and focus on form. Do your three workouts every week even if you don't feel like it. A lot of additional abs works isn't necessary either. Do squats and deads without your shirt on and you will see what I mean. But since you're going to do it anyway do weighted sit -ups on a decline bench. A couple of sets is enough.

And stay away from the machines if you can. Those are for girls and old people:p

Canery

Reaction score
I am agree with these workout routine, it really help for the fitness.
Any one can take guidance with the help of these tips.

JustWuzzle

Don Juan
Reaction score
OK I head back to the gym today. I haven't been in a while because of gas problems(See other topics). Anyway Today I'm only working on my cardio/fatloss. I'm just gonna hit the treadmil and see how that goes. I plan on pushing myself to the max today. Tomorrow I go back to lifting weights. I just plan on doing a full body workout instead of split training until I get my fitness up then I'll just do split/cardio.