When does Acne go away?

dadmonson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 15(turning 16 on Thursday) and I have acne. I have had acne ever since I was 13. I was wondering when I am going to out grow this stuff(sucks). I'm taken medication for it and it keeps me relatively clear but its a pain to keep taken it everyday. Can somebody who has had acne before tell me, how long they had it and when they out grew their acne, and when they think I will? THANX

P.S. I already use the search button

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what stuff you taking?

i'm taking benzoyl peroxide 2.5 day and night with moisturiser. nothing has cleared me up better.

i'm 19 now. had pretty mild acne since i was 18. ocassional spots when i was 17.

it's just another one of those things you've gotta get used to. how much of a setback to your life is putting some cream on your face? hardly much

dadmonson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I put this stuff called Tazorac on every night, and I put this antibiotic cream on 2 times in the day time, everyday. I'm tired of puttin on the cream also because it causes me to dry out and I have to use moisturizer for that. I'm tired of this acne. When will it stop?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While 70% of teenagers outgrow acne within four or five years of its onset, for the other 30%, acne may carry on into adult life. According to the American Dermatology Association, there are over 17 million adults in the U.S. diagnosed with acne, 25% of them being men.

So, to answer your question - in about three or four more years. I'd recommend Accuntane (also known as Roaccutane or Isotretinoin) if your skin is really that bad; ask your dermatologist about it.

Italicized text taken from:
http://www.askmen.com/sports/health_60/97_mens_health.html

Also of interest:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=when+will+outgrow+acne

dadmonson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
.......... very funny:eek:

Diablo good lookin out mayne!!!!!!

Hopefully I'll be part of the 70% What were yall other experiences?

habdragon08

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good C+F line to people who make fun of you for acne

guy: you have acne. *insert joke here*

You: thats not acne, its facial herpes.

gets a laugh every time

know this wasnt what you were looking for, but it had to do with the topic.

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by gav
what stuff you taking?

i'm taking benzoyl peroxide 2.5 day and night with moisturiser. nothing has cleared me up better.

i'm 19 now. had pretty mild acne since i was 18. ocassional spots when i was 17.

it's just another one of those things you've gotta get used to. how much of a setback to your life is putting some cream on your face? hardly much
Thats exactly what I take, it is great stuff. Clears everything up, even if you get breakouts on your back a little, it still works.

Just find out how often to put it on. Once a day works for me, but you might need to do it more. It just has a tendency to dry out your skin.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mine started at 13 and kept gettin' worse until 15, then for a year it was quite bad (i mean, it wasn't anything nerdish, just normal teenager acne) and at the age of 17 it started to go away. now (i'm gonna be 18 in a month) acne scars aren't visible anymore and i rarely get a spot somewhere on the face... for 2-3 months (this autumn), while my face was almost cleared of acne and scars, i got some spots on the thighs and on the breast, but nothin' really unaesthetical...

i don't suggest that you use that stuff... maybe i'm wrong, but every single one of my friends who used that hasn't still recovered from acne and, even worse, they all got lots of acne scars which won't go away before they get into their 20s... plus their faces got red as hell... just wait, since u can't really do much... when u start to get just some occasional spot, u can take them away with your fingers

shrewd

Don Juan
Reaction score
take them away with your fingers? Jesus that's the worst thing you can do, it scars and makes the zit last even longer.

The best thing you can do in my opinion is take a couple of accutane cycles. Sure it dries your skin up bad and basically splits your lips into four pieces, but it's worth it in the end. A few good things to do to reduce acne is:

NEVER touch your face except when you wash it. This is the most important by far, your fingers are the dirtiest part of the body, and everytime you touch your face with them it clogs even more pores and creates additional zits.

Wash 3 times per day, I take 1 shower at night, use oxy pads at about 2-3:00, and take one shower in the morning.

Never rub your face into your pillow, try to sleep on your back all the time.

Drink lots of water, 2 gallons a day is optimal but 1 gallon will still help.

Most of the products you buy to use in the shower like clearasil and oxy gel are all crap, they don't do **** in my opinion, spend your money on accutane.

Shaving with a razor antagonizes it pretty bad too.

Anyways, i had bad acne since i was 12 till age 16-17 when i went on accutane, which cleared almost all of it up, now it's been barely noticable for a couple years, although I will at any given time have 2-3 red spots on my face, but no more huge puss filled pimples or nasty clusters or any of that ****...

S0LID

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nice tipe, i cant wait to start roto. the dermotologist said it kinda closes the pores n heals small marks on ya face too!

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Change your bed sheets very often, especially the one on the pillow. If you are using a hair gel, stop using it for a while or try a different brand. My skin acted allergic to a cheap gel, which really hurt my looks. Took me a while to figure out the cause.

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
I gave up eating sweets, and consume a lot of flax seeds,,,voila, soon, I began clearing up, and now, I have little acne on my face(basically not noticeable), and a bit on my back(lost a LOT there).

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well..i used to have zits and breakouts like crazy in h.s. but by the end of h.s. my senior year, i had slowly begun to stop having zits. around 18 ? the problem may have been my haircut that touched the side of my face and head, which is dirty, plus i pinched my zits a lot which was real bad.

Once in awhile i'll get 1, but its nothing really.

McKindley

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mine started to calm down around the end of my senior year. It wasn't that bad after that, but I started using some sort of cleanser and a moisturizer and drank nothing but water for awhile and now its completely gone, except for a zit here and there. But nothing too bad.

dadmonson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo McKindley and ScrewIt at what age did u begin havin acne?

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cant recall its been so long...but if i remember correct i think it was sometime around 8th grade (j.h.s)

And thinking back my acne started going away during senior year where i was still 17, my bday was in the summer.

but during senior year i cut my hair short...so maybe it made the difference?

but anyways since college i've been using Clean & clear pore cleanser up till now and it seems to do the job. doesnt burn the face or overdry it like other cleansers and clears the pores mostly

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Straight from the mouth of my dermatologist, who is one of the top in the country and the world.

"Some people, but a tiny minority, have acne into their adult life, however, for the average teen, you should be well and truly grown out of it by 23".

23, still pretty damn old.

McKindley

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I started getting it sometimes in middle school. I don't remember exactly when

dadmonson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo COONEY I've read some of your acne stories that u've posted on the site.., and I thought u said yours started to go away around 17 or 18., and your right, 23, is pretty damn old. If thats the case then I might as well go on Accutane.