What is the best fighting style? Lets settle this once and for all

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've not tried....

all styles, so I cannot comment on what might be most effective for any given person. I'd say the most effective style for staying alive is to either run or be well armed :)

Failing that, I would want to have boxing and wrestling skills. That's pretty much all I know and it has gotten me by. Here's what I see:

Boxing: Why take a street fight to the ground if you get the chance to end it up the feet? Proper strikes can be devistating. Most cities have some sort of boxing club. Cheap or low-cost instruction is a major benefit. Also keeps you in shape.

Wrestling: Instruction is free or low cost for younger people. Excellent for learning control, take downs, and escapes. Disadvantage is that you need to modify some things to avoid being too prone to submissions. However, it';s unlikely you'll get into a street fight with someone of considerable skill, anyway. I'd recommend catchwrestle.com if you're in Chicago.

Karate: I have no experience with this.
I would be skeptical until proven otherwise.

Yotsuya-san

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Senzoi
I haven't purchased either book, much less experimented with whatever methods are shared within. Pick it up and let me know how they serve you.

~ Senzoi :cool:
Someone has already done this for us, thankfully. And it's time!
If you really want to know the story behind the so-called Ninja Grandmaster, check out the expose article at this site .

Jake-inator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well if you're going to fight someone in real life,
the style that i would think would be most effective is the one that does the most damage or incapacitates an opponent the quickest.

I've studied two martial arts:
judo and hapkido.
If you want to put someone in a world of hurt your choice would definately be hapkido.

I personally would never want to start a fight with anyone who's studied hapkido.
The moves are brutal, and ARE DESIGNED to INFLICT the MOST DAMAGE. (broken knees, elbows.)

And if you're a Karate or tae kwan do student... all i can say is: good luck. They are both practically useless against it.

There's an old story about the founder of hapkido, who came from japan and beat up a whole group korean guys infront of a store with ease.

The sensei that taught me it, said it was a derivative of an ancient japanesse war art... Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu.
It was taught to the best of the japanesse warriors.

It teaches you everything from hand to hand combat, to hand to sword combat.

If you want to be able to put some one in a wheel chair real quick... hapkido is definately your choice. :up:

Yotsuya-san

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The link fails to explain how 'someone has already done this' (pick up the books and test the techniques' effectiveness). Rather, it talks about a teacher's reputation, which I already mentioned was less important to me, and gives no first-hand account of whether what he taught was effective or not to the author, and why. What's your agenda?

~ Senzoi.
The reputation of a teacher usually has something to do with the quality of what he's teaching. Such as, does he actually have a reputation as an expert and authority on the subject he's teaching? Has anyone else ever even heard of this guy whose supposed to be so good? Who are some of his former students and what are they doing?
Okay, here's one of the guys books for free. You don't need to actually go out and buy it and I don't need to actually read it for you. I've already read it for myself. Now, you can read it, try some of the stuff out. But before you do try anything out, here is a site you might want to check out first.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by nishbuk
No. What it does prove is that when you are talking about TOP fighters, it's the fighter himself that matters, and his own personal drive, determination and skill. Not the art that he's learning. All top fighters learn all skills. Yeah okay, Vitor might have a background in BJJ, but he trains wrestling and boxing, every single day, and has for the past 8 years at the BTT training compound in Rio. Randy has a wrestling background, sure, but he's also a submission wrestler, and has trained with the best BJJ, and striking guys.

More than anything, when you're talking about top fighters, it's more dependant on the individual than the art.

(BTW, randy isn't the best fighter of all time. That title goes to Wanderlei Silva, or Fedor Emalienenko. ;))
You know after researchng this a lot, your theory sounds like it could be right. Who are these Brazilian fighters you say are the best of all time? Were they better than Gracie? What tournmanets have they fought in? If they are from those Brazilian schools you talked about how can you say they are the best if they haven't fought top fighters of other styles

ie: Randy Coutoure, Ken Shamrock (in his prime), Tito Oritz

Yotsuya-san

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, I think I'm through discussing my point with you. Your mind isn't exactly open to certain ideas, and it's clear you have something else on your mind aside from testing actual methods and techniques for yourself. Sending a 'bail bondsman' link already suggests to me that you're some civilian that's not in a position of need to practice the 'dangerous techniques' of the free book in a protected environment. Your humour could use some work.

It's been nice speaking with you. Stay safe.

~ Senzoi.
In the dark times were headed for, there will be no such thing as a civilian! Which is why it's important we know the quality of the techniques we learn.

But your conclusion is that I must just be some cozy, suburbaninte who probably, in your opinion can afford to do without even knowing these techniques, let alone practicing. So, when worse comes to worse, your hypothesis is that I can just probably pack my wife and 2.3 kids in the ol' SUV and run away.

Well, this discussion was a waste!

Last edited:

BlackJackal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lost In Translation
h2o the problem with guns is you HAVE TO shoot people

1. they think it's fake walk forward you shoot you get 10 years jail

2. they are on drugs or drunk and think they are invincible again you shoot you get 10 years in jail

3. they think you havn't got the balls to shoot they step forward you shoot and you get 10 years in jail

4. they think you haven't got the balls they step forward you freeze up they wrestle you to the ground and take the gun off you then shoot you YOU ARE DEAD

5. because you pulled a gun and up'd the anti one of the 9 gang members you are facing decides to pull out his gun and bullets start to fly

jail is no fun for anybody

you going to place your life in someones hand by pulling a gun on them and PRAYING you got enough menace that they are gunna back down

in my experience i would rather pull a baseball bat on someone than a gun

always some idiot junkie drug addict piece of $hit who is tired of living or wants to make a name for themselves

thinking they are 2pac or 50cent and will survive to rap about it

put a baseball bat in my hands and i guarantee no heroes

they can see it in my eyes

I AM WAITING TO HIT SOMEONE

i went to jail when i was 21 years old and when i was 17

fighting in jail is a whole nother level

AVOID FIGHTING ALL TOGETHER

( unless you in jail f*ck em up fast cause you got nowhere to run and you need to make an example to be left alone )

Lost In Translation :D

**AUSTRALIAN STREET PIMP**
I feel what you're saying about not wanting to get into street fights, cause often there are always a group of cowards willing to jump you. I dont really have a certain style, I'm a pure street fighter I guess, since wrestling and throwing punches is naturally learned in the streets. I'm short though (5'5, 140) but I'm pretty fit and used to fighting people bigger than me, and could hold my own.
But the gun issue is where I'm concerned, cause even though I like everyone else, do not want to go to jail. But what do you do when your enemy has a gun? And he pulls it out first, yet you yourself have a gun also incase of this very situation. I dont believe I'll hesitate to pull the trigger, so I want to know the rules as far as where a gun is concerned.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Muay Thai and BJJ/ or Sambo

Jayer, I believe you're referring to the Chute Box Academy and Brazilian Top Team which are dominant MMA teams in Brazil.

The best fighters in the World compete in Pride. UFC champ Chuck Liddell got his azz beat and KO'd by Quinton Jackson in Pride and never showed his face in Pride again after that embarassing loss.

Chute Box has produced fighters such as Wanderlei Silva- Pride Middleweight Campion and Winner of the 2003 Pride Middleweight Grand Prix. Also a former Vale Tudo tournament Winner. Wanderlei Silva invited Tito to compete in Pride, but Tito chickened out like a pussi and is still ducking Silva.

Brazilain top Team has Antonio Minotauro Noguueira who is the Pride Heavywieght Champion and winner of the 2004 Grand Prix tournament.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok I am confused with all these tournaments.

I have seen UFC which appeared to be the first pure fighting sport. Then there is something called K-1? and I've seen something called Chuto. Oh yeah and also Pride.

If someone can explain all of these tournaments I'd appreciate it. Are you saying that this Chute Box is founded in Brazil, and Brazilian Top Team is a group within it?

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jayer
Ok I am confused with all these tournaments.

I have seen UFC which appeared to be the first pure fighting sport. Then there is something called K-1? and I've seen something called Chuto. Oh yeah and also Pride.

If someone can explain all of these tournaments I'd appreciate it. Are you saying that this Chute Box is founded in Brazil, and Brazilian Top Team is a group within it?
KI holds both kickboxing and MMA events. K1 Hero's is pure MMA which takes place in Japan.

Pride Grand Prix is a 16 man MMA tournament held every year in Japan. The tournament is held over 3 dates. The opening round known as "Total Elimination," the quarterfinals "Critical Countdown" and the semifinals and finals "Final Conflict." You can find out more at www.pridefc.com

Vale Tudo- "Anything goes" MMA tournament thats held in Brazil. Headbutts, elbows, stomping the head of a down opponent are all legal. Vale Tudo is as close to watching a sanctioned street fight as you can get.

The Chute Box Academy and Brazilian Top Team are two seperate rival MMA schools in Brazil. Wanderlei Silva is an Instructor at the Chute Box Academy. Vitor Belfort trains at the Brazilian Top Team School.

Last edited:

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok so just to make sure I understand this...

Pride Grand Prix and K1 are two different tournaments but both held in Japan?

Vale Tudo is just held in brazil and this is where those 2 famous fighters who may be the best in the world fight?

Where can I find a MMA school in my area?

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jayer
Ok so just to make sure I understand this...

Pride Grand Prix and K1 are two different tournaments but both held in Japan?

Vale Tudo is just held in brazil and this is where those 2 famous fighters who may be the best in the world fight?

Where can I find a MMA school in my area?
Yes, the Pride Grand Prix and K1 are two different tournaments held in Japan. Pride events are off the chain. Pride events routinely draw in 50,000-100,000 fans.

I've heard of the Vale Tudo being held in other countries such as Venezuela. "The Smashing Machine" Mark Kerr from the United States is a former Vale Tudo tournament Champion. Former UFC tournament winner Marco Ruas has also won the Vale Tudo. Alex Steibling from the US is also a former Vale Tudo tournament winner.

The two best fighters from Brazil are Wanderlei Silva and Antonio Minotauro Noguira which compete in Pride, but have fought in the Vale Tudo in the past.

www.grapplearts.com/search.php has a listing of about 800 MMA schools. Maybe it can help

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I see how striking skills, wrestling skills, and ground skills are all important.

I say a prime Mike Tyson beats the **** out of everyone of any fighting style outside of Bruce Lee in a street fight.

What are your opinions?

I want to bump this thread back up again!

lordson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
if your fighting style was mianly legs (kicking and stuff) and u get into a fight with an averga joe who will charge and brawl, who do u think will win??

the kicks might get him alot i reakcon

just curious becuase i do Tae-kwon-do and im pretty good at it, but its mainly kicking, i can kick quite well, but when using arms im not that good

and if two people use arms, wouldn't it jsut come down who is stornger anyway?