what happened to this site

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a quote from Lorenzo in a recent post:

"To bad fela's, a yr ago this site was a beautiful thing. Every other post was Biblelworthy, no ****!"

I agree. although i haven't really posted before the last few weeks/months i've been here long enough to see this forum fall. well now that i'm done complaining here's my suggestion:

we make a new forum only for people recommended by mods. that way the dumb newbie posts will be blocked out (no offense to anyone who's still learning). then if someone on the old forum makes a good post or something he could recommend it to one of the mods to look over, then the mod (or the people in the new forum)would decide if he's worthy.

This might take too much maintainance but to me it would be worth it. especially when i read 50 posts a day that are all "how can i get my best friend who's a girl to like me after i gave her $500 of stuff and told her i loved her and wanted to marry her?"

or maybe a quiz over the bible before they get certain posting privelages.

or a different system to rate people here and put their rating by their name before you open the thread.

this might sound too extreme but seeing such a huge difference from then and now disapoints me.

any other ideas?

------------------
Some were born to live. Others were born to die. I was born to skate.

Jester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The difference from then and now, is only that then this forum actually had mods.

I dont think syncmaster or cablelight has posted here in weeks, the only guy that does any topic closings or movements is allen himself.

thats the reason why you see those newbie threads everywhere these days, no one is filtering them.

NeXuS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jester:
The difference from then and now, is only that then this forum actually had mods.

I dont think syncmaster or cablelight has posted here in weeks, the only guy that does any topic closings or movements is allen himself.

thats the reason why you see those newbie threads everywhere these days, no one is filtering them.
Syncmaster posted a few days ago in the main discussion forum. Cablelight's gone though.

Jester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
great he posts on discussion but not here wheres hes supposed to mod.

lol

whatsupwiddat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jester would seem fitting for position of mod, and yet i visit more than most of you...

future marine

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i think a quiz would be a good idea to be allowed to post topics. Not only will it reduse bad topics it will test u on how well u understand the bible. just make sure that the questions are well designed.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lorenzon is not a mod.

But you are right about this site getting worse. I haven't been here in weeks becuase all of the newbie crap-post.

I suggest that Allen appoints other mods that are more active and not afraid of deleteing stupid posts.

------------------
"What is this Love that so many speak of with such apparent familiarity? Do they truly comprehend how unattainable it is? Are there not as many definitions of Love as there are stars in the universe?"
- The Bene Gesserit Question Book

A BASIC NEWBIE HELP
------------------------------------------------
http://www.sosuave.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001645.html

CaptainSlinky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, this site has been going downhill lately even though I haven't been here too long. I think Lorenzo or Jester would be excellent mod's (even if Jester might be a little delete-happy). I would happily volunteer for the job if I wasn't grounded from the comp for a while.

I hope something gets done.

------------------
-Brian Ciofi
AIM- BCiofi12
Mail/MSN- CptSlinky@hotmail.com
ICQ- 117957561

Established October, 2001

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was not here at the time the original poster of this thread is talking about, but I will chime in on what I have observed regarding this issue to which there are many angles to be considered about it.

Disatisfaction with the state of the forum has nothing to do with the forum itself but rather YOU. As you progress, your views change on the topics discussed here. You start thinking that the topics posted are obvious, dumb and laughable and you don't want to me exposed to them.

I noticed this happening to me and I became frustrated and even somewhat negative because I did not want to leave a forum that had made so much positive difference in my life. And while we are on the subject, I appoligize to anyone I offended during that time and that includes Allen. When I scrolled back a few pages to my newbie days I realized that the topics I know view as dumb newbie posts were all over the place when I first came here and I even started a few of them myself. Again, I cannot speak for the times I was not here for but for me I realized it was an internal change that was happening that had nothing to do with the forum itself.

One thing that does tend to be a problem here is the lower level the advice, the more acclaim it seems to get. Newbies have a tendency to seek a figure to look up to and they are very vocal in their appreciation. For some posters, such acclaim for the advice they post becomes a hypnotic high that entices them to dispense advice at the same shallow level thus hindering their own advancement when there is still plenty of room to advance.

I suspect that we could clamp down on the reptitious posts here a lot harder than we have in the past and that may make some difference. If people see more advanced posts then the questions on their mind then they are less likely to post them. Leniency on dumb threads will just beget more and more of the same.

MaDsKaTeR212's idea would help get some more higher level discussions going on, but at the same time could result in cliqueish hissy-fits between DJ's. The whole thing really shouldn't be necessary.

I think there is one solution that would solve the problem completely if we could find a way to enforce it. We need to discourage people from replying to topics they know nothing about. This happens a lot here, much more so than other forums I have recently spent more time on. People who admit to being frustrated virgins on one thread will turn around and give advice on how to get laid in the next. Discussions deteriorate as result.

I think the best solutions to this are either for the mods to scruntize the replys that are obviously WAY off, or we simply go with MaDsKaTeR212's idea.

------------------
You either own the game or it owns you!

katoom

Don Juan
Reaction score
A seperate forum would be good, but I think it should definatly be viewable by everyone. Other people need to learn too

NeXuS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by trickynick:
We need to discourage people from replying to topics they know nothing about
That is all.

UltimateScoundrel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We need more active mods most definitely. I haven't seen a mod post a topic in months.

------------------
Sarcastic Sardonic Irreverent Impertinent Exasperating Disrespectful and Charming. This is the way of the scoundrel

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by trickynick:
We need to discourage people from replying to topics they know nothing about
well the problem is that the newbies will be replying to newbie posts, changing nothing. i think someone should talk to Allen.

------------------
Some were born to live. Others were born to die. I was born to skate.

Drew

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by UltimateScoundrel:
We need more active mods most definitely. I haven't seen a mod post a topic in months.

Uhh "posting topics" is not a job of a moderator. That's the job of the visitors of the site.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah, my lovely pet peeve, reincarnated and regurgitated yet again. Why, oh why, sweet topic, won't they just let you die peacefully?

MYTH: All the guys who are good at the game -- I mean truly good, like Pook, Take No Dirt, Don Phenom, Don the Legend, crowes, indy, Jake Steed, Inspector, etc. -- were all born great DJs.

FACT: Most of the legends on this board began as AFC as any newbie that comes to this site. I know that several people here like my advice, and I'm honored by that, but keep in mind that I have made my share of dumbass, lame, pathetic moves... the consequences that ensued are what turned me around to the ways of the DJ.

MYTH: Newbie "problem" posts are worthless.

FACT: A lot of newbies post problems desperately seeking advice. They want the peace of mind of knowing that someone actually took the time to learn about their problem and then responded. These not only help to educate the newbie that posted the problem, but also other less experienced DJs. Sometimes, in fact, a response will help even a more experienced DJ see things in a different light.

MYTH: Newbie advice is worthless.

FACT: Some newbies are idiots who couldn't find their ass with both hands. But others are thoughtful, intelligent, insightful guys who have experience, or have been lurking, or have studied up on the bible. In the idiotic but ever-raging debate over the coveted "Master Don Juan" status, we have pointed out time and again... 100 posts does not a "master" make.

MYTH: The quality of tips and advice in the discussion forum are degrading steadily.

FACT: Back when our world was young and much of it had not yet been explored, there was constant opportunity for brave, determined men to make a name for themselves by discovering and reporting on the unknown. As time went on, new frontiers dissolved into territory that had already been mapped. Today, we live in a world which has been largely explored. It is much the same way on the DJ board. Much of the "epic" and "groundbreaking" topics, such as confidence and destroying desperation, have been covered, and well. Now, instead of going over the huge, earth-shattering topics, we explore the way of the DJ in more fine detail, and analyze the behavior of a DJ in everyday life and specific situations. This is the normal evolution of the DJ board, not some grotesque mutation.

MYTH: Creating a new forum which would be "members-only" through some sort of special selection process, a test, a nomination, a certain length of activity on the board, a certain number of posts, et cetera, will improve the forum.

FACT: The "Master Don Juan" status title often has guys on this board worrying about how many more posts they have to go before they get that status that they aren't as concerned with the quality of the posts that they ARE writing. I have always thought that the private, closed, advanced DJ forum would be a bad idea... a further separation of the "masters" and the "newbies" would not greatly benefit the forum and would actually serve to do it harm. It's elitist and unnecessary.

------------------
CASANOVA

"All dating is prostitution. It's just that sometimes you don't get what you pay for."
- Hyde, from 'That 70's Show'

"He's gonna make some lady very happy... and then very, very sad."
- Dale, from 'King of the Hill'

The Matrix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry guys... @ first I was with y'all on that note... but Gio did make some very good points