what happened to this site

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MYTH: All of the celebrated "masters" on this forum are highly experienced at the game in real life.

FACT: Some of them have been posting very long, time consuming messages with lots quoting complete with shallow level sentence by sentence analyses way too frequently since they registered to have gotten laid more than once or twice so far this year.

------------------
You either own the game or it owns you!

[This message has been edited by trickynick (edited 05-10-2002).]

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MYTH: Some of them have been posting very long, time consuming messages with lots quoting complete with shallow level sentence by sentence analyses way too frequently since they registered to have gotten laid more than once or twice so far this year.

FACT: Most of MY posting is done at work, where there is nothing else better to do than give advice on message boards; and getting laid at work is highly frowned upon by upper management here. Sounds like someone's jealous, though. That's not very becoming (or DJ-like).

------------------
CASANOVA

"All dating is prostitution. It's just that sometimes you don't get what you pay for."
- Hyde, from 'That 70's Show'

"He's gonna make some lady very happy... and then very, very sad."
- Dale, from 'King of the Hill'

[This message has been edited by Giovanni Casanova (edited 05-10-2002).]

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MaDsKaTeR212:
Fact: WE NEED NEW MODS!
I agree in a sort of indifferent way. I'm not too concerned with the "mod problem"; I haven't really noticed any glaring problems, to be honest. But I don't disagree with this statement. I disagree with the whole "private, members-only, elitist club of a forum" that is being suggested (again).

------------------
CASANOVA

"All dating is prostitution. It's just that sometimes you don't get what you pay for."

Lorenzo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Far as I'm concerned, you can have all your forums but HS... thats a part of me. I tried to leave, but I cant.

I owe alot to this place, the HS forum. And it IS worse than it was when I was lurking, and the earliest days of my posting. We need more mods (in HS), and we need to make some kind of post that stayes at the top of the board, and tells the newbs to check out the bibles, not to post about things in which they don't have experience, ect.

If need be, I will step up and take a moderating position (HS forum). As I said, I owe it to this place.

Thank you so much Allan for the creation of this site again... and mods for your work in its preservation.

-Anthony

------------------
Master Don Juan
Anthony (Lorenzo)
AIM: KinoOI
E-mail: KinoOI@HotMail.com

The DJ Bible ~or~ The High School Don Juan Bible

“Carpe Diem."

Barbillus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
While I have only been visiting this site for 6 months now..... I think 3 things need to be done to this forum.

1) Now I know it says read DJ bible at top of forum, and while I am sure it deters many newbies from initially posting, I think a lot of people still don't see it... and post their newbie questions anyway.
When someone REGISTERS their forum name then in big bold blinking red letter or something it says something like "READ THE DJ BIBLE before ever posting a topic on these forums"
In addition to the above, another option could be that when you click on the forum link on the main sosuave page.... have it go to another html page first that says to read the bible before posting. However, this might get annoying to people who dont bookmark the forum directly tho.

2) We need more moderators in all of the forums. I think that if a stupid question (one that is answered in the bible), is asked, then it should just be deleted. This will help cut down on the spam, and increase the quality of the posts in all forums.

What to look for in a moderator?
People that can give good advice.
People who know what they are talking about.
People who know how not to abuse this privledge and power.
People who know how to use restraint in deleting/locking newbie posts. Meaning they are intelligent and know the difference between a newbie post that is clearly answered in the DJ Bible and one that is not and that is worthy of not being locked/deleted.

Off the top of my head.. sorry if I forgot someone...

Some people who I think should be mods and meet all of the above qualities are:

Trickynick
Giovanni Casanova
Diesel (Health and Fitness Forum)

There are many more I'm sure.. but these are just the ones who I know post regularly and can think up off the top of my head.

3) The titles on the forum, such as 'master DJ' need to be removed. There are two ways options one can go do from here:
a) Keep titles removed permantly and let the posters come to realize over time who the good DJs are on this board.
b) make a special DJ icon that appears under ones name when they post and is given by Allen Thompson, or someone other great circle of DJs (kinda like the circle of jedi masters in Star Wars Episode 1), who has proved themselves to be well versed in the DJ ideology. One thing I notice is that a lot of people here give good advice, but there are a few who are poor writers and who organize their posts in a less than stellar manner. These people, in my opinion, should not be given this DJ icon.

Barbillus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would like to add a fourth thing:

4) A small star or some other icon should be placed under one's name if they make a post that is placed in the ever growing DJ Bible.

This will encourage people and give them incentive to create high quality posts... as they will be rewarded with a star by their name that will show the rest of the forum that they made a bible worthy post.
It will also show that you dont just have to have a "DJ icon" (see above for what this is) by your name to give good advice and make bible worthy posts!

As for the DJ Bible... who updates this now a days? Is it still Lorenzo? BTW, Lorenzo you are the best!
If the above is true, will it always be up to Lorenzo to decide what posts get in and what posts dont?
Has Lorenzo considered expanding this to let other people help him make the DJ Bible? (see reference to council of DJs above)

Anyhow those are just some questions... I thought should be asked.

Lorenzo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Barbillus:
I would like to add a fourth thing:

4) A small star or some other icon should be placed under one's name if they make a post that is placed in the ever growing DJ Bible.

This will encourage people and give them incentive to create high quality posts... as they will be rewarded with a star by their name that will show the rest of the forum that they made a bible worthy post.
It will also show that you dont just have to have a "DJ icon" (see above for what this is) by your name to give good advice and make bible worthy posts!

As for the DJ Bible... who updates this now a days? Is it still Lorenzo? BTW, Lorenzo you are the best!
If the above is true, will it always be up to Lorenzo to decide what posts get in and what posts dont?
Has Lorenzo considered expanding this to let other people help him make the DJ Bible? (see reference to council of DJs above)

Anyhow those are just some questions... I thought should be asked.
I'm only 1 man, and when I see a post that I see fit to go inot the High School Don Juan Bible, I put it in ASAP (usually within minutes), but I don't ketch them all. I have now and again begged other users to E-mail me when they readd something particularly exceptional, but this has never happened with the acception of WUWD and his own posts...

Thanks for the honor, but I will not be the one to say who deserves a star under their name. Besides, I am only in charge of the High School Don Juan Bible, not the DJ Bible of which the "flier" at the top of the page refers.

------------------
Master Don Juan
Anthony (Lorenzo)

“Carpe Diem."

[This message has been edited by Lorenzo (edited 05-11-2002).]

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MaDsKaTeR212:
jealous of what?
I wasn't referring to you, bro.

------------------
CASANOVA

CaptainSlinky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree that we really need new mods, especially in the HS forum where 75% of the posters are immature, newbies, or both. Has anyone else contacted Allen directly about this problem? I mailed Allen yesterday recommending some new mods (not gonna say who), and he told me he'd get back next week.
I'm expecting a bunch of new mods insituted next week, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

misunderstood??

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a big problem in the HS forum mostly is that so many people don't give the newbies the time of day and just reply with a generic post about them needing to read the bible or them being a dumb newbie.

I think more people on the HS forum mostly need to actually answer and help out the newbies who ask questions, even if the questions seem dumb, and after you help the poor guy then at the end of your post suggest that he reads the bible and not flame him for not being around the site long enough to be a lil' bit more knowledgeable.

Flamming the newbies will just discourage them from continuing to post and visit and in turn will discourage the growth of these forums. Everyone was a newbie at one point in time, i think lots of people here need to be more patient with the newbies and just realize they are trying to learn and should not be flammed for asking for help.

I have been posting on the HS forum since it was made and have been reading the site months before that and i don't think i have yet blown my lid about newbies posting 'stupid' questions, so why is it so hard for everyone else to restrain themselves from flipping out on newbies or giving them thoughtless replies???

Oh and just thought i should agree that the HS forum does need more or new mods or well something done because sync and cable haven't been seen around there for awhile.

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps I should refine exactly what I believe the problem is with the newbies. The only newbie posts that I think are really a problem are the ones that have the following format:

- "There is girl I see every other day."
- <Extraneous Details>
- "Where do I go from here?"

This site and this forum (in my interpretation at least) are not about how to get a particular girl. We can't really tell any anybody how to do that, we can just present a set of attitudes, behaviors and techniques that help to attract or seduce women in general. The kind of post I described above really isn't that useful except to point out mistakes that would have been obvious to anybody who read the DJ Bible before they posted.

------------------
You either own the game or it owns you!

Lorenzo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by trickynick:
Perhaps I should refine exactly what I believe the problem is with the newbies. The only newbie posts that I think are really a problem are the ones that have the following format:

- "There is girl I see every other day."
- <Extraneous Details>
- "Where do I go from here?"

This site and this forum (in my interpretation at least) are not about how to get a particular girl. We can't really tell any anybody how to do that, we can just present a set of attitudes, behaviors and techniques that help to attract or seduce women in general. The kind of post I described above really isn't that useful except to point out mistakes that would have been obvious to anybody who read the DJ Bible before they posted.

Precisely(sp =]).

------------------
Master Don Juan
Anthony (Lorenzo)

“Carpe Diem."

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well i started this in the HS forum so thats what i intended it to be directed at. well it looks like we're finally getting somewhere. hopefully Allan can set up some new mods. Lorenzo would be an awesome mod and i think he could appoint other mods in the HS forum too. the star idea for a post in the bible was a good idea.

------------------
Some were born to live. Others were born to die. I was born to skate.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well i started this in the HS forum so thats what i intended it to be directed at. well it looks like we're finally getting somewhere. hopefully Allan can set up some new mods. Lorenzo would be an awesome mod and i think he could appoint other mods in the HS forum too. the star idea for a post in the bible was a good idea.

------------------
Some were born to live. Others were born to die. I was born to skate.

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
TrickyNick mentioned this thread to me, and I thought I'd add my two cents.

I think Sosuave is terrific. It's a wonderful place. I think all the newbie posts are not a problem, and trying to prohibit newbies from posting replies to each other would just end up stifling the atmosphere.

However as those newbies become more advanced they will find themselves having the same complaints you guys are bringing up. And they are valid complaints.

Like TrickyNick said, it isn't that the forum is changing, it's that you and your needs are changing. So suddenly the forum that seemed perfect for you yesterday, is not longer fulfilling your needs today.

At at the same time Sosuave is a very social place--more so than many other forums.

Despite the "family quarrels" there is a certain warmth here. So people stick around for THAT reason, and that complicates the process of coming to grips with the fact that they are frustrated about their changing needs going unmet.

Look at it this way, when you're done with first grade you move on to second grade, right? How would you feel if you had to hang out in first grade year after year?

Clearly, to keep people interested even as they grow more advanced they need a place in the forum where:

a) they can count on seeing a high concentration of more advanced topics, rather than the same old stuff they've been seing a million times, and

b) a place where they can count on having their threads responded to by the more advanced people only.

I know this issue gives Allen a headache. It gave me a headache too. But the fact is, unless something like this is implemented, the status quo will remain modelled after a school with just one grade--where no matter how much you learn you're always in the same classroom with the first graders.

That model is fine for a social lounge. In a social lounge there no levels to speak of. But it is not a model that works for a place of learning.

I'm posting elsewhere these days. I still think very highly of Sosuave and I would still recommend the place to newbies, but for me to stay motivated to write serious on topic posts, I needed the two things I listed above.

Take care, and my best wishes to all of you. Thanks for having made my stay here a wonderful one while it lasted!
Yours,
DeepBlue

crowes22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by trickynick:
MYTH: All of the celebrated "masters" on this forum are highly experienced at the game in real life.

FACT: Some of them have been posting very long, time consuming messages with lots quoting complete with shallow level sentence by sentence analyses way too frequently since they registered to have gotten laid more than once or twice so far this year.

Hmmm.....interesting... The 'FACT' statement of your post not only screams of jealousy, but also seems to imply that 'someone' here gets their validation/self worth DIRECTLY from how many times they've been laid in a certain time span.

Anyone that CAN get laid when they want (within reason of course) DOES NOT place such emphasis on the subject, surely not to the degree of speculating the # of times in a certain span OTHERS have been laid. And why is that? Because sex is only a HUGE deal to those that aren't having it.