Warning: If your not funny don't try

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Me

Being funny in my opinion is like being a DJ. Like being a DJ, I think being funny comes part natural, and some you can develop. The natural part you can't control but the non-natural you can control. I wasn't born funny, I just learned it on my own. The reason why most people can't explain it is because it came natural. Natural funny - hard to explain, Learned funny-easier to explain, because you figured it out yourself.

I now do stand-up comedy and although I'm not a Chris Rock, I do get constant laughs. People have told me I do a good job.

Being funny in my opinion is like being a DJ in another way. You practice at it and you self-improve. You won't become funny overnight.

Also being funny is a like being a DJ it combination of usage of humor. Like using ****y and Funny to get girls is just one method, the method won't work alone.

Some examples of methods to use on your quest to become funny:

1. Learn about getting attention: Do it as a result of timing, not as a desire to get attention.

Ex: Teacher calls out people's name for attendance. Let's say your name is James. Teacher: James? James: (Act confused) What???? Does someone want to see me?? (Act frantic, like you are leaving in a rush then on purpose trip and knock over a chair. Then leave the room.) Or you could simply say "I pass."

2. They way you say it:

Ex: Lets go back to the first example. Saying "I pass." Could be funny but may not unless you say it in a funny way.

3. Acting: Work on the Dead pan.

Ex: In the first example acting like you are confused will only work if you are acting in a proper way.

These are some methods I learned on being funny.

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
More...Learn from others.

I used to and still do watch Jay Leno, and the way you learn about jokes is to get the idea of the joke, not actually reuse it. Such Jay Leno talking about stupid product such as fart machine. Well the fart machine idea is taken but the idea is still there. Idea: stupid products.

Also analyze jokes. Ask why was it funny? Did it use good timing? Was it said in a funny way? Soon after analyzing jokes you will get how jokes work.

The Master Disaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: More...Learn from others.

Originally posted by crossboss
I used to and still do watch Jay Leno, and the way you learn about jokes is to get the idea of the joke, not actually reuse it. Such Jay Leno talking about stupid product such as fart machine. Well the fart machine idea is taken but the idea is still there. Idea: stupid products.

Also analyze jokes. Ask why was it funny? Did it use good timing? Was it said in a funny way? Soon after analyzing jokes you will get how jokes work.
the problem with analyzing jokes is. It doesn't become funny to other people it is routine and practiced. I mean 100% of all jokes are based on ironic situations.

i.e.: Jay Leno: Brittany released a statement today saying she would of put her baby in the car seat, but Kevin was already in there.

It is ironic that Kevin would be in the car seat.

i.e.: Jay Leno: S.U.V. now stands for Suddenly Useless Vehicle.

It is ironic that S.U.V. would change its name to a dirogitoric name.

This is just analyzing the joke. It woun't help you be funny with friends. You can't pracitice being funny. You may be funny when your born but you don't have confidence which is with a lot of people who suddenly become funny.

In 8th grade, I was a mess, nerd was who i was. Then in 9th-12th I am the funniest person to live (No Joke). Everything I touch becomes gold. Every women wants to be with me, Every man wants to be me. See thats confidence, My personality hasn't changed. Think of it as a cloud of smoke and it was removed away so they could all see the gold.

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's funny how your humor attracts people.

Me...told I am naturally good looking. People have told me I am freaking hilarious. Yet when it comes to women, it doesn't win me much.

Are you sure you aren't doing something else that is attracting them? Certian way of thinking? I'd like to know this because the situation between me and you seems like the Prince and the Pauper.

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You analyze jokes because it brings self-improvement.

Ex: A guy walks in sleepy to class and another guy says "Or did you take too many sleeping pills or something?"

This is funny because, it pokes fun at him, makes in look like he has ADD or something.

However analyzing a joke brings self-improvement. You ask yourself, did he do any acting? Or did he use good timing?

Also remember the idea. The joke came from him being sleepy. Also the guy wanted to make a joke about people with learning disabilities.

Remember this so next time you see somebody you can use it again, however change it a little.

You: "Forget to go to bed last night?"(making fun of him like he has ADD.) Then walk stiff and act like a zombie, and make noises. Using acting from analyzing the previous.

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Humor can be practiced by trail and error. And analyzing. Why wasn't it funny? Was it because I said it at a stupid time? I learned that by trial and error, what people find funny and what people don't find funny. And if people don't like what they say then

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ooops...got cut off.

If people don't like your joke then sc**w them. If you don't try you will never improve.

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Member requested more funny advice so here it is:

Observe and remember what people's jokes throughout the day. Make a note of them. Think about, analyze them. Why was it funny? What did they do to come up with the joke.

ethnomethodologist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crossboss, I still believe, yes, belief is my word for KBJing. I still believe that comedy and attraction are intertwined, they still focus on leaps of illogic to create desired results.

Shortcuts in the patterning of the brain. It's been said in ways even by confucious and Napoleon that what you laugh at revelas what your mentality's are.

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My theory on being funny:

In my opinion, being funny is similiar to a thinking process. Certain people are born with this skill, other lack. Like thinking, you can develop it a certain point. If you get the right kind of help though, you may get far. Most people can't explain being funny because being funny is natural. Thinking for most people is natural, therefore when somebody has a problem with thinking people don't know how to explain it, in general terms.

Attraction in my opinion may be similiar to thinking in some aspects not in all. Attracting women for guys is like being funny. Guys can learn how to attract women, like being funny. They try and fail at times, they work on self-improvement. However women attracting guys is different. In general, the majority of guys are only attrated to girls that a extremely good looking. Or a celebrity. These things are not easily controlled. Guys with help can learn.

42-Colrath

Don Juan
Reaction score
I really really agree with the fact some posters have brought up about not staying true to your personality. I am one of those people and it messed me up fo real. I was a funny kid in 10th grade then I came across this site and tried to be serious for the first half of 11th grade. It didnt work out good. I became boring. I almost forgot how to be funny. Now that I have the funniness back I just have to work on that ****y part...

Subjective

Don Juan
Reaction score
I quit reading after the 15th post, so forgive me if this has been said. Another way to "hone your humor" is to, even if you're not funny, tell your jokes, if people don't respond well to it, switch your jokes up, find something that they DO like.

AB500

Don Juan
Reaction score
Humor is mostly a result of looking at things from a different perspective. A lot of people think I'm funny but I believe it's mainly a result of me sharing the way I view things with people. I am a very sarcastic ******* with a nack for spotting the absurdity in everyday things and amplifying it. A lot of people find it funny. It's the way I look at things. I don't tell jokes because to me jokes are preplanned things that you think up in advanced, anytime I say something funny it's more situational humor.

ethnomethodologist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joking is and always has been revealing something unexpected and desirable. Whether it is desirable to hear about it or not is another question.

There are things in our human nature that are genuinely 'funny' to us, things that make us giggle, thinks that make us guffaw, things that make us laugh uncontrollably.

Want to know why dirty humor is so seductive? Because you'd never expect it.

Want to know why punchlines are funny? Because you never expect it.

Want to know why black humor is funny? Because you never expect it.

It doesn't always boil down to something you WANT to hear either, just something your mind is focusing on. The general consensus behind using the minds focus? Build up to a joke, create tension, and the punchline is the diffusion of the tension.

What is humorous? It is a shortcut. You expect a certaion train of events to happen to reach the final point, and humor cuts across the boundaries and says it flat out, without waiting for a pause.

That is why I believe humor and seduction are two sides of the same coin.

Subjective

Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree with whomever said "nobody was meant to sleep with girls"...every male was meant to sleep with girls. How else are we supposed to reproduce?!

cubed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, I thought this thread died, but looks like someone went and revived it.

I still stand by what I said about people who try (hard) to be funny but aren't; they look like they are desperate for attention. Don't forget:
Desperate = needy = unattractive.​

As for improving your sense of humour, I'm not sure if analyzing is the way to go. You can't overthink it; it's something that happens on it's own (for me). It works best if you are relaxed and in a good mood.
Joking is and always has been revealing something unexpected and desirable. Whether it is desirable to hear about it or not is another question.
You nailed it, ethno.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been told I'm a funny guy quite a bit, but I notice I have my good/bad days (I think it has to do with stress/amount of sleep/other peoples attitudes). I usually don't take much to heart, but I notice my humor really falls when someone sarcastically says, "that's really funny" after I try saying something semi-serious. Almost like I'm supposed to be humorous all day.

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cubed said:
Wow, I thought this thread died, but looks like someone went and revived it.

I still stand by what I said about people who try (hard) to be funny but aren't; they look like they are desperate for attention. Don't forget:
Desperate = needy = unattractive.​

As for improving your sense of humour, I'm not sure if analyzing is the way to go. You can't overthink it; it's something that happens on it's own (for me). It works best if you are relaxed and in a good mood.

You nailed it, ethno.

True. However, this stage is temporary. Most things in life involve pain, to get somewhere. The change does not happen overnight. You may look desperate at first...Look into the future. Those *******s who think you were an attention freak, find out that now you are even funnier then they are. You prove them wrong. If you give in to them...you fail. No attempt = 99% failure rate. Attempt, you fail...yet you learn from your mistakes. That's right you won't be funny at first.

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1 more thing.

Yes, you may need a little help. That nerd who was a so called "loser" in high school. Always considered " a loser", girls want to get away from the nerd. That's because he didn't get help. I not saying that you can't figure it out for yourself. I did figure out how to be funny on my own. In most cases you will not be able to do it on your own. That's why sosuave.com was created. To help nerds, dorks, nice guys get laid. Could they have one day just get it? Very unlikely, changes don't happen overnight. You may have to go through pain, and do things you don't like to do.

I am willing to help you. Those who want to be funny...message me. Now if you want my help you can post specific questions on this forum and/or email me. What I wan't you to also do is come up with a joke...the best you can and tell me. I will improve the joke for you. Give you something to work on. Also you can try working on this. Beginnings of a joke: I wouldn't mind having 50 cent as a body guard. With the amount of times he has been shot. Now tell me: What is good/bad about this. What can you do to make it better.