Vitamin C... ILLEGAL without a prescription!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is absolutely insane! My biology teacher mentioned this, and in doing a search I came across the following article. It looks like the end of the road for supplements if this takes effect in August. Might be a good idea to stockpile your favorite products before you can't get them anymore... I am wondering why this hasn't been on the news though...

http://proliberty.com/observer/20050110.htm

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow! I find it weird how a government can make vitamin supplements illegal, yet more risky and unhealthy substances like alcohol, fast food, tobacco, cold remedies and painkillers legal.

Call me cynical, but whenever I see something like this, I always wonder who is going to profit.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Codex regulations enforced in the U.S. will be internationally binding; new supplements will be banned unless the developer is willing to endure a very rigorous and expensive Codex approval process.

Codex standards, as currently enforced in Norway and Germany, caused the price of zinc tablets to rise from $4 per bottle to $52; echinacea, an herb used for immune system enhancement, rose from $14 per bottle of 100 capsules to $153.
And this answers the question why.

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That really pisses me off. Motherfvcking pharmaceutical companies. :mad:

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:D :D :D :D

AHAHAHAHA

Poor bastards. And I thought it was bad here because you can't buy antibiotics over the counter. :D :D :p

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They're just trying to make more money.

Bastards.

XxGodJrxX

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, nice looking out Diablo, I never would have heard about this if you didn't post. I looked at a bunch of websites about thsi and it looks like this could even make the sale of creatine and glutamine illegal without a prescription. The only thing you can legally buy without a prescription would be vitamins that do not exceed 100% of the daily recommended value. Not only that, but with little choices and high controls would come a huge spike in the prices of said supplements.

I do not think that this has been passed by the WTO, and whether it does would be seen. Could be interesting, don't you think.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WTF. That is fvcked up.

Diablo, do you know why they are planning to change the policy? It doesn't make sense....

if it is to prevent vitamin overdoses or abuse........... that is pathetic.

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1st, how authentic is this website?

2nd, it is true that many people abuse the usage of supplements because they don't understand the side-effects of superdosing, especially on non water-soluble vitamins. Nonetheless, amping up the prices is absurd. Most uninformed people don't buy supplements anyways, aside from the basic multivitamin. If this is truly happening though, it would be a good time to cash in on some profits.

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fitch
if it is to prevent vitamin overdoses or abuse........... that is pathetic.
You can't OD on vitamin C :D

Still funny :p

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not sure the "Idaho Observer" is the best source for this information. Smells like b.s.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
i call BS

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by California Love
1st, how authentic is this website?
Good question. After looking at other articles on the site, it seems to have some rather slanted reporting. I pulled this article off of a thread at BB.com; take a look at what the guys over there are saying about it:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=406715

I'd like to think that this won't come to pass, or that if it was imminent we'd have heard far more about it than we have (well, haven't), but I guess the only way to know for sure will be to wait until a month or two after August... or find out for sure that this isn't as legit as has been advertised.

By the way, the two bills (S.722 and H.R.3377) do seem to be real and active. Here are copies of each that I've found...

H.R. 3377 "Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act" introduced October 28th, 2003.
http://www.ascpt.org/govaffairs/legislation_congress/HR3377.pdf

S. 722 "Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2003" introduced by Senator D*ck Durban on March 26th, 2003.
http://www.ascpt.org/govaffairs/s722.pdf

XxGodJrxX

Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought it was bs when I first read it as well, that is why God (or some guy claiming to be God), created Google, to verify things like this. Type "Codex, Vitamins" into a search engine and you will literally get hundreds of sources that all say the same thing.

From what I understood from the articles, they aren't bills being passed in Congress, but rather a proposal put forward by the WTO, which the USA is apart of and will be bound to if passed. It doesn't look like bs to me, but what does sound like bs to me is that in the end of those articles they all say "you can do something about this", clearly Congress cannot stop the WTO from passing such a proposal besides using the ten measly votes that this country holds to vote against it (which would not be enough anyways).

I personally do not think that this will pass, but then again I did not think that Bush will still be President in 2005. If this does pass, I don't think he will say "**** that ****", like he does with the UN. He is in the drug companys' pockets which means that he can only profit from this.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not worried about losing my favorite supplements like Creatine or Protein shakes...

What bothers me much more is that the USA's power is slowly being transferred to international powers...the UN was bad enough...but now we have the WTO actually giving us laws to follow. We (the USA) are losing our sovereignty, and nobody seems to care...just keep clubbin and everything'll be okay....:rolleyes:

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've just sent the following to "snopes.com". With any luck they'll be able to verify the authenticity of the matter...

Hi, great site. I've been hearing a lot about how the US may have to disallow people from purchasing supplements such as vitamin C, etc without a doctor's prescription come August. I've done some research but have had mixed results. Here's the following information I have:

The article which got me started researching:
http://proliberty.com/observer/20050110.htm

The place the article was linked from:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=406715

Here are the two bills in question:
H.R. 3377 "Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act" introduced October 28th, 2003.
http://www.ascpt.org/govaffairs/leg...ress/HR3377.pdf

S. 722 "Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2003" introduced by Senator D*ck Durban on March 26th, 2003.
http://www.ascpt.org/govaffairs/s722.pdf

Thanks!!!

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok... WTO and WHO(?) are behind this... If you don't comply you face sanctions?

canada is screwed then

Ah... what the hell... they'll contraband stuff from russia :D

Status
Not open for further replies.