Thoughts on Attending a Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanderdonck

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you fear God, then you'll be sober and not make such jokes about the devil, who the Bible describes as an adversary walking around as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Unless you can fight him, then you are either under his control (ie and therefore heading towards hell), or are sitting ducks for some onslaught if you are not careful. Sober people that have their head in the right place concerning the spirtual realities and where most people are going after they die, and they of themselves if they are not careful, don't joke around like that. .

Also if you are in a war then you don't make light of your enemy. Do you think it would be helfpulf or WW2 soldiers to make fun of Hitler before engaging in deadly battle with the Germans or being sober as to their military techniques to make it out of there alive? Literally, that's why I take these things seriously. We are in a spiritual war.

It's also a thread about meeting women in church, so it's also in bad taste, at best.

That is all I have to say about it because someone else brought this up. I don't want to have any discussion about this as it is against the rules of the board, but since you asked me about this and we are on this subject, that is all I have to say.
Disagree. And I fear nothing.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Disagree. And I fear nothing.
Fearing God does not mean the same thing as being scared. In context it means having a healthy reverence. Like you dont drink and drive, or dont try to pass a moving train when the train warning lights are on...like I said, healthy reverence.

Solomon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Revisiting this post-

Anyone here have Positive experiences with attending a church and likely forming a social circle because of it? Say you're a single man moving into a new town or something in that manner and your faith happen to have an organization of some sort.

What are you guys experiences? Just wondering
I haven't attended a "physical" church since 2017, the church I attended on and off since 2003, it was a Pentacostal church in a mostly Episcopalian, Lutheran area. I enjoyed going to that church a lot, however, the church members slowly moved away or to other churches last I heard the church service is now being held at the pastor's home. However, I have not talked to him much in the last several years

My advice would be to go to church that acknowledges Jesus is lord and is spirit filled. Doesn't matter if the church is big or not size shouldn't impact it.

In regards to social circle all the young people were already coupled up cause they met at church camp or something, so they had known each other for years I never really went to them. I went to another church when I was in high school but the women in that church weren't really my type

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When God shows up drunk at a party:

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it doesn’t hurt to attend and see if it brings more peace to your life or less

A woman i started seeing got me to pray again. I find it helps

maybe this is a good screening tool for both activities and people. If they don't make your life better than stop spending time on them

davidsonj73

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A place of worship, and no I'm not talking about with regards to bee dee es em, has been from what I've seen, mostly to find a long term relationship partner. So, if that's what you're looking for, great! And if you are just looking to hook up, you should probably look elsewhere.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But one thing I would not be comfortable is being part of something I do not believe in 100%, Id feel like a fraud.
Most people who attend church don't believe in it, at least literally, 100%.

Just think of the religious teachings as helpful metaphors passed down through generations and you'll be fine.

Vanderdonck

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You wrote this before. Now you are saying that is where you met your current girl? I thought you were against the devil. Why would you go to such a place?
I'm not against anybody. People are free to live their own lives as long as they're not harming others.

Hamurabimbi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Church is like the gym. Go for yourself. If you meet a girl there, it’s a bonus. But church should be done because you want to go. Or are curious.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please do not make this a thread to be a religious debate as it goes against forum rules.

What I’d like to talk about are The Pros and Cons of attending a church.

If you’re a loner like myself, would this be a good idea? I understand some positive aspects about it like having a sense of community, a social circle and having people you can chat and bond with on a regular basis.

But one thing I would not be comfortable is being part of something I do not believe in 100%, Id feel like a fraud. For example, theres a group of mormon missionaries who Im talking to, they seem like a great group of people, but Ive done my research on the mormon faith and thats one group I wouldnt be comfortable attending.

So what are The Pros and Cons of attending a church. Is it a good idea? why not? Thanks.
(I'm presuming regular Christian sects here.)

There is something to be said that church-related activities are going to attract folks with better character - however, I wonder if all it does is allow the same hypergamy, while loading up on the "you need to man up" shaming on men for the chicks that have aged out of their good years and/or are single mommies.

Of course, joining a church is like getting into a social circle, but also with the drawback that you'll be inundated with the chick version of the dented cans in the back of the shelf that have been getting passed on for ages. The churchfolk will look at a new decent man there as the latest one to try and get their fat friend/child hooked up with - and when you say that you aren't attracted to these beasts, you will be told that The Devil is making you make the wrong choice, etc. :rolleyes:

In summary, churches have the same problem that society in general has with dating & mating.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I went to catholic school for 10 years and am still religious. I find it much more satisfying spending time alone in nature on a Sunday morning and praying or meditating ( whatever your thing is). Church people put up a great front but most of the time turn out to be frauds.
All-male Catholic schools, like the type where I & Kegger Kavanaugh had attended? :mad:

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They want you to be married; but meeting someone and getting there is your problem. Not to be harsh, but it’s roughly like that.
And there is always that chick "with a great personality" that every other man before you has found unforkable that the new member will be bombarded with.

Status
Not open for further replies.