The New Black???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to skip all the comments because frankly, it's probably gone way out there by now. My take is that gays shouldn't be saying they are the new blacks because it really tarnishes what happened or at least what was supposed to happen. Being black even today almost meant being treated as a stereotype. You weren't a human but a shadow or stock character in life. No one expected anything of you because you're black; you just dance, be stupid, and work for someone. Of course when you stepped out of line as whites or even some blacks saw it, you're a bane to society because you're not following the script. Now instead of being this dumb field hand or a superhuman criminal mastermind, you're a determined person trying to rewrite the rules of society. In other words a black person has found an identity and is pursuing something. So, if you're gay, why are you saying you fit into another archetype when you should be furthering your own identity? If you do, you have no idea what it means to be black because you're not even embracing exactly what you are by saying it. If you're gay, be gay for the world to see if that's what you want; but like being gay first instead of trying to be anything else.

Irs88

Don Juan
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
I'm going to skip all the comments because frankly, it's probably gone way out there by now. My take is that gays shouldn't be saying they are the new blacks because it really tarnishes what happened or at least what was supposed to happen. Being black even today almost meant being treated as a stereotype. You weren't a human but a shadow or stock character in life. No one expected anything of you because you're black; you just dance, be stupid, and work for someone. Of course when you stepped out of line as whites or even some blacks saw it, you're a bane to society because you're not following the script. Now instead of being this dumb field hand or a superhuman criminal mastermind, you're a determined person trying to rewrite the rules of society. In other words a black person has found an identity and is pursuing something. So, if you're gay, why are you saying you fit into another archetype when you should be furthering your own identity? If you do, you have no idea what it means to be black because you're not even embracing exactly what you are by saying it. If you're gay, be gay for the world to see if that's what you want; but like being gay first instead of trying to be anything else.
read my comments right above yours for my reason why. Plus, they are NOT the new black. they are the new MINORITY group in need of help. Think all the way back....native americans, women rights, child labor rights, mental retardness rights(think I am sam...the movie), asian american rights in California, then african american rights, and now gay rights.

Of course each group has got a different degree of pain and attack of them. However, at the end of the day, the groups are still being discriminated against, and thats a big no no.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Irs88 said:
read my comments right above yours for my reason why. Plus, they are NOT the new black. they are the new MINORITY group in need of help. Think all the way back....native americans, women rights, child labor rights, mental retardness rights(think I am sam...the movie), asian american rights in California, then african american rights, and now gay rights.

Of course each group has got a different degree of pain and attack of them. However, at the end of the day, the groups are still being discriminated against, and thats a big no no.
I never said they shouldn't have rights: I just think they should represent themselves as themselves.

fertileTurtle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

snackwitch

Don Juan
Reaction score
fertileTurtle,

Nephew (shaking head),

reread what I wrote. I didn't insult America. anyways this thread has gotten way too bloated for its own good. cheers

fertileTurtle said:
America is racist now? You're a joke, son. Many countries are way less tolerant of other cultures than America. No my country is not perfect, but we have come a long way. Call a racist a racist, but don't go crapping on my great country. The white people in America have done a lot to make things right.

And what happens when a group claims they should get anything just because they are white? We have LA RAZA and NAACP. What about the NAAWP to make it fair? What would people think if someone said I voted for a candidate JUST BECAUSE he's white. Now look at Obama. He's a black president, it's a big deal. Double standard.

And no, I'm not against national appologies and the like for slavery, even though we didn't participate in it. And I do understand to a point that people have experienced racism and want to do something about it, but people need to be proactive and stop acting like they need to cry about every injustice ever done to them. That's just life. Race is only one small point of discrimination in America. There are many others, some much worse.

Guoy Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Gay people cannot join the US army. Black people and women can.

Status
Not open for further replies.