The Harshest Lesson/s Life Taught You (so far)

inquisitor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As the title says.

For myself, after having lived at least two decades, with obviously still having very little to show for it, I reckon that sickness does tell you how short life really is (in my case, it nags me everyday). The more I learned about my disorder and being in a third-world country and needing to establish my own generational wealth (for my parents came from not-so-off households), the more I realize how much harder the challenges I have to face really are. The more reality hits me, the more I feel like I'm in purgatory, forced to compromise focusing on my health with making the most of college (this may be my last year or two before proceeding to a Master's degree).

I still consider myself lucky, but apparently my luck is not enough, and even hard work is not enough. I have a clear direction with where I want to go, but I need more long-term strategy in my life, in facing the unknown, and this is where I lack. Financially, it seems I need a miracle.

There are also some truths which beg my more immediate acceptance, but I guess the values and principles I grew up in and made me who I am, still hold me back.

What about yours? Which failures challenged you the most, and how did you change along the way, and what did you go through to accept the new reality?

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
You won't really get a good sense for what a proper long-term strategy is until after you've graduated and left college.

The harshest lessons I've learned I'm my (short) lifetime is that you should never compromise your core values, even when doing so might be beneficial. I always knew this was true, but I didn't internalize it until a few years ago, during a particularly tough stretch in my work life.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
That most people you consider your "friends" are only there during the good times and when you are at your lowest point and really need them, most will be nowhere to be found.

The ones that are there are your actual friends and it may surprise you which of them actually stick around. Likely won't be the ones you think.

TheGambino

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Never give up never quit working for your dreams. Live your life on your terms. Be decisive and go for your dreams. Have discipline and picture the best version of yourself and where you wanna stand in life, figure out what steps you have to make to be there and be 100% fulfilled and happy.

Also don’t chase women, I don’t except when I’m caught up and have feelings, still happens, nothing good comes from it ever. Tried and that never works, period. Dan Bilzerian said if I have to teach you guys 1 thing about women it’s “don’t chase”. I’m working on that. You can say about him what you want but in the end he’s shredded on a yaght with 20 dimes. So he knows women darn well.

Though I have a huge ego, if you get rejected in anything you want, use it as fuel to become stronger and successful. For example I lost a girl (I really liked, happens barely, most I don’t give a sht about) I gained muscle and lost weight and on a strict diet, use that fuel to go harder towards your goals. I always been like that not only with women but with career also. My boss fired me because I didn’t want to quit school and become his general manager, I build a business just like his and I’m doing better then him now 6.5 years later in the same branche.

The rest, want something? Go get it.

Last edited:

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Inquisitor,
As if being born in a very poor Country isn't enough,you are burdened by poor health....Seems you have been dealt a poor hand in lifes card game,sadly you have no other choice but to make the most of it....As you have seen for yourself,your only way out would seem to be higher education,if you possibly can get out of the Phillipines,pleasant and kind as its people are,it is grindingly poor and corrupt...Are their any chances of a Scholarship in the West?....Have you wisely chosen your future career?....To what extent will your Health problems affect your emigration options?

TheGambino

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nobody is coming to save you.
You come alone you leave alone. You gotta make your own party @BPH is right. People want their needs fulfilled and you’ll attract what you create. So create what you want to be and attract what you want to have around you.

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As the title says.

For myself, after having lived at least two decades, with obviously still having very little to show for it, I reckon that sickness does tell you how short life really is (in my case, it nags me everyday). The more I learned about my disorder and being in a third-world country and needing to establish my own generational wealth (for my parents came from not-so-off households), the more I realize how much harder the challenges I have to face really are. The more reality hits me, the more I feel like I'm in purgatory, forced to compromise focusing on my health with making the most of college (this may be my last year or two before proceeding to a Master's degree).

I still consider myself lucky, but apparently my luck is not enough, and even hard work is not enough. I have a clear direction with where I want to go, but I need more long-term strategy in my life, in facing the unknown, and this is where I lack. Financially, it seems I need a miracle.

There are also some truths which beg my more immediate acceptance, but I guess the values and principles I grew up in and made me who I am, still hold me back.

What about yours? Which failures challenged you the most, and how did you change along the way, and what did you go through to accept the new reality?
Say what we want about the vocals

The message is right on the money

plumber

Don Juan
Reaction score
It is very possible to create real wealth in Philippines. It is like other places, one must spend less than they earn. Its hard to do it in the Philippines because of the festival culture. Your common sense saving, investing, and improvement will be called out as greedy. Think, crabs in a bucket. The same thing happens in other places, but in the Philippines it is really strong. Must have a very thick skin. After you succeed life can be very good, just like other places.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking

And after a while, you can work on points for style
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder
You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you get older
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man
All alone and dying of cancer

And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown
And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around
So have a good drown, as you go down, all alone
Dragged down by the stone (stone, stone, stone, stone, stone)

I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Deaf, dumb, and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable and no-one has a real friend
And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
And everything's done under the sun
And you believe at heart, everyone's a killer

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone

- Dogs by Pink Floyd.

inquisitor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking

And after a while, you can work on points for style
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder
You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you get older
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man
All alone and dying of cancer

And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown
And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around
So have a good drown, as you go down, all alone
Dragged down by the stone (stone, stone, stone, stone, stone)

I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Deaf, dumb, and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable and no-one has a real friend
And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
And everything's done under the sun
And you believe at heart, everyone's a killer

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone

- Dogs by Pink Floyd.
I know this song, and I recommend folks here give it a listen.

CBear

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In terms of harsh lessons, nobody gives a **** about you or your feelings so try not to take life too seriously.

Other advice=trust your initial gut/instinct on any situation or person, learn to be highly observant in general but very much with people and their actions, and lastly, learn to have faith (not necessarily in a religious sense but in a spiritual sense) while being resilient in life. With a positive attitude and the faith that everything will work out the way that its supposed to, things just happen to fall into place. Thats what people mean when they talk about manifesting their life. Negativity only makes yourself more miserable and it's a highly unattractive trait to everyone else that you're trying to be around.

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
In terms of harsh lessons, nobody gives a **** about you or your feelings so try not to take life too seriously.

Other advice=trust your initial gut/instinct on any situation or person, learn to be highly observant in general but very much with people and their actions, and lastly, learn to have faith (not necessarily in a religious sense but in a spiritual sense) while being resilient in life. With a positive attitude and the faith that everything will work out the way that its supposed to, things just happen to fall into place. Thats what people mean when they talk about manifesting their life. Negativity only makes yourself more miserable and it's a highly unattractive trait to everyone else that you're trying to be around.
People will always tell you who they are very early on when you are getting to know them. Most people don't pay attention when they do or don't believe them.

Big mistake...Always believe them...