Spesmilitis's workout journal

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squat- 150, 4 reps.
115-15 reps. PErsonal best. Do 120 next time.
95-4 (going as low as i possible can).

hipabducts

Deadlift- 5X4

hip ex's- Go lower, and start thrusting, flexing quads right as you start going up

leg curl.

try glut hams next time.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
weighted pull ups- 50 lbs - 7 reps. 40 lbs 7 reps. 30 lbs 7 reps. Personal Best
incline bb press- 35+2.5 on each side- 7 reps, 5 reps. Don't increase weight yet. personal best.

Rows- 95 lbs- 7 reps. 5 reps then 3 of 70. Personal best.

db shoulder pess- 50's. 7 reps. 4 reps, then 2 of 37.5. Same as last personal best . Try 35 right after next time.

Im finnally breaking away from 130. I can see and feel the new muscle mass, and the scale has been increasing in increments of 2.-.6 lbs consistantly last 4 workouts. I was wondering how much strength I had to saturate my muscles with untill I got bigger for quite some time now.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squat- 150- 6 Personal best
115-16 Personal best
95-5 (remember to go as low as possible, just before calves touch thighs)

hip abductors.

deadlift- 5x4. start at 45+35, then 45+45 for rest. Start from 'squat position', shoulders back, whole body going up.

hip extentions- 95 lbs, 10, 8, 8. Go up to 100 next time.

leg curls- 20 reps.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First workout in over 2 weeks.

squats 115-3 reps
95-8 reps

deadlifts-
45+35 on each side 5x5
(next time start with 45+35 first set, then 45+45)

hip abductors

hip extentions- used 70
Next time, use 100. Do these fast/explosivly.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
missed reported a few workouts, but they were mostly getting back into shape workouts, no pr's

Today:

squat: 125: 7 reps
105: 15

hip abductors

hip extenstions: note, go down to 105 next time

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your workouts seem very...very....very brief.

No hamstring work?
I'm assuming your doing multiple sets of whatever weight listed in the squat...

One thing that has worked tremendously for me is doing something like this

Warmup = *

135x6-8*
185x5*
225x5
255x5
275x5
295x5
305x3-5

I increase the weight each set. Once I get to the point where I feel that doing another set would bring me to failure, I move on to my next exercise

Also, what are "hip extensions"?

No hamstring work? No calf work? Just squats (I understand they do work glutes/hams to a good degree, but I love my glute/ham raises - I saw you tried to include those)

Deads/Squats in same routine? After squats, the LAST thing I want to do is hit deads. Those are usually on the opposite end of the week...

I dont remember seeing any bench on this page either. Are you hitting your chest/tris at all?

Not to rain on your parade, but I feel that you could be seeing a lot more progress in the gym if you basically scrapped what you're doing now, and started fresh. I dont remember any previous discussions on this, so if I'm restating something already said, forgive me.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, their brief, but im planning on working out 4 times a week. Also, I have jiujitsu 3-5 times a week, so I want to save energy for that. I am also getting back into shape, I didn't get to workout during winter break.

I'll add a 20-rep leg curls my lower body days when Im in better shape.

These are hip ex's http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/WTHipExtension.html
They also work the hams really hard. These also hit my calfs. But, I do em alittle differently from everyone else. I look up and keep my chest out and shoulders back, like a deadlift. And, when am comming up, I thrust my hips forward, that helps work the hams more than the lower back. The hip extension contraption at my gym has a place to put your feet against (unlike the one in the link provided) ; on that, I am on my the balls of my feet, my heels are off the foot rest.

As for the glut/ham rasises, they didn't work on the leg curl machine, I kept falling off. I guess hip ex and leg curls will do for now. I'll definatly complain about their lab of a glut-ham machine though.

Yeah Im at the point where I can no longer do deads and squats in the same day. I used cuz I was at a novice level, and those exersices wouldn't do that much damage to my body, but now Im gonna do em on seperate days.

I havn't reported some of my upper body days since I was just getting back in shape, and I didn't really care to remember what I did exactly, but I do incline bb press. I also get a whole lot of tricep/shoulder work from jiujitsu. If it wasn't for jiujitsu, I would incline laterial raises and other random shoulder/tricep exercises.

Here's what my final routine will look like

lower:
1 set 5-7 rep squat
1 set 15-20 rep squat
2-3 set hip abductors
3 sets hip extentions.
1 set 20 rep leg curls

rest 1 day

upper
3 sets weighted pull ups
2 sets incline bb press
2 sets rows
2 sets db shoulder press

rest 1 day

lower
5x5 deadlifts
hip abductors
hip extensions
20-rep leg curls

no rest day, straight to
upper
3 sets weighted pull ups
2 sets incline bb press
2 sets rows
2 sets db shoulder press

rest 1 day, repeat.

I call it, the Santosh routine.

Thanks for looking out for me, I really appreciate it.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
now that I discovered the secret to high rep calves, i'll add a set to my workout.

lower:
1 set 5-7 rep squat
1 set 15-20 rep squat
2-3 set hip abductors
3 sets hip extentions. (working my way up high reps for these too, may have to lower number of sets)
30 rep calves
1 set 20 rep leg curls

rest 1 day

upper
3 sets weighted pull ups
2 sets incline bb press
2 sets rows
2 sets db shoulder press

rest 1 day

lower
5x5 deadlifts
hip abductors
hip extensions
calves
20-rep leg curls

no rest day, straight to
upper
3 sets weighted pull ups
2 sets incline bb press
2 sets rows
2 sets db shoulder press

rest 1 day, repeat.

I call it, the Santosh routine.

unfortunatly, my upper body is getting torn up in jujitsu practice. Won't get to do upperbody workouts till my upperbody is fully conditioned.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My computers busted, so im having trouble recording all my workouts

today: weighted pullups: 55 lbs 7 reps, 5 reps. Personal best

rows: 90 lbs: 7 reps, 3 reps. My personal best is 7 of 95

all for today, my arms are getting a beatin from jiujitsu

two days ago:

squat: 135 5. Personal best is 150X6
115-20 Personal best. go up to 120.

hip abductors

hip extentions: 95- 19, then 16 reps. Go up to 100 lbs. Remember to look all the way up, really thrust hips forwards deep into the pads. Personal Best

calves; 35x35 reps. Go up to 40 reps.

20 rep leg curl.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with skilla. You can scrap this then jump on "A simple Power based Routine" which can be found at Ironaddicts.com under the routine section.

If you must stay with the routine u have now take out the leg curls and do

glute ham raises, search glute ham raise on google and find out how to rig one up at any gym with a barbell

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
found it:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/renegade10.htm
im on it.

This routine worked pretty well for me, untill winter break where I stopped working out. Right now im trying to get back into shape while doing BJJ 4 times a week, which is pretty dam hard. I'll consider myself in full shape when I can do 150 lbs x 6 reps of squats again.

Dead lifts 5x5. Next time do 235. Remember to really emphasize the arch in the lower back, pay attention to it. Tuck in shirt to moniter the arch. Keep the motion fluid, more explosive.

Hip extentions: 100 lbs, 15 reps, 12 reps. Don't worry about how low you go, just pump em out.

do downward dog, rising sun stretch before lower days from now on. Also, do the weighted arched-back toes touches.

Take out some whole wheat bread at lunch, since they always run out at dinner.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
If you push your butt/hips back rather than knees forward, it helps keep your knees behind your toes.
There isn't that much of a problem if your knees are in front of your toes.

Anywhere from lined up with your toes to 3 or 4 inches in front of your toes is fine depending on your makeup.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
There isn't that much of a problem if your knees are in front of your toes.

Anywhere from lined up with your toes to 3 or 4 inches in front of your toes is fine depending on your makeup.

Alright. I've just heard a lot of junk about "if your knees are past your toes, it's bad." I've personally never had that issue. I have to FORCE my knees out over my toes.

Spes...

20 rep leg curls?
2 sets of squats?

You're confusing the heck out of me with your routines...

Let's start from scratch....

What is your goal?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Alright. I've just heard a lot of junk about "if your knees are past your toes, it's bad." I've personally never had that issue. I have to FORCE my knees out over my toes.

Spes...

20 rep leg curls?
2 sets of squats?

You're confusing the heck out of me with your routines...

Let's start from scratch....

What is your goal?

20 rep leg curl is the least hard part of my workout. Its just something to finish off my workout, like iceing on the cake. Also, since I found a way to do gluthams, I might just take it out.

One of the squat sets is a 20-rep squat. Aren't you susposed to take it easy after that? If you guys(skilla, wba, throttle, aunit, ect) don't think thats enough, i'll add as many sets as you reccomend.

My goals are strength, size, stamina, in that order.

Last edited:

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
weighted pull ups- 60 lbs, 6 reps, personal best
50 lbs 7 reps
40 lbs 6 reps.

Rows: 95 lbs- 7 reps. same as last personal best.
85 lbs- 4 reps, then 2 reps of 70.

not doing any shoulder work cuz of jujitsu.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squat- 135- 7 reps. Go up to 145.
120-15 reps. Go up to 20 reps.

hip abductors

hip extentions: 100 lbs 20, 15 reps. Personal best. Don't worry about how low you are, look in mirror, once head is below hips, thrust hips and come up. Good job today, keep deeply thrusting hips so that hips are all the way in place before upper body comes all the way up. Go up to 105 next time.

calves- 35 lbs, 35 reps again. go up to 40 lbs.

glut hams- first time, man, these were so much harder than expected. Next time: put padding around barbell; its ok to use hands like a push up; it ok to have a slight bend at hips.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
My goals are strength, size, stamina, in that order.

Then you need to hop on a Modified Westside Barbell Routine ASAP!

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
looked up the wsb routines here:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

It seems to have lots of tricept/shoulder/core work, which I already get more than enough of from jiujitsu.

Right now im just concentrating on my lower body with occasional back work.

the only exersice that pops out that I should do it the durian row.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
20 rep leg curl is the least hard part of my workout.
I just think the leg curl is kind of lame..and doing twenty of them seems...idk...odd

spesmilitis said:
One of the squat sets is a 20-rep squat. Aren't you susposed to take it easy after that?

So you basically do one set of squats, then a 20 rep set?

Not enough.

Start with your squats

Do a easy set, 5 reps.
Add some weight. 5 reps (should be a little harder
More weight, even harder. 5 reps.
Even more 5 reps
Even more 5 reps
By now it should be getting tough as hell
Keep doing that until you cannot do 5 reps, or until you feel that if you do one more set, that you won't make it.

Thats a 5RM set. I usually get about 5-6 sets of 3-5 in there.
(Generally 135,185,225,265,295 etc)
The higher my ending weight, the larger my jumps are...I try not to make TOO big of a jump, but yet not too low, so that I don't burn out.

THEN do your twenty reppers

DEFINITELY add the glute/ham raises. No if ands or "butts"...

Glutes...butts...get it...lol

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
squat- 135- 7 reps. Go up to 145.
120-15 reps. Go up to 20 reps...
If you can do 120x15, then i'm sure you can do a hell of a lot more than 135x7

hip extentions: blah blah blah
what the hell are these?

calves- 35 lbs, 35 reps again. go up to 40 lbs.
your calves can handle a lot more weight than this.

glut hams- first time, man, these were so much harder than expected. Next time: put padding around barbell; its ok to use hands like a push up; it ok to have a slight bend at hips.

ha very very good idea with the padding. save yourself from bruises. they're quite nice aren't they? Don't use your hands, thats like rocking backwards when doing bicep curls. Gives you momentum. Bad... Chest || to the ground

another way to do this..

Get on your knees, on the floor. Have somebody behind you hold your feet down, then, keeping your chest || with the floor, extend, and snap back up...put padding under your knees

Answers above my friend. Bolded.