Protein shakes good or bad? Results?

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday I started drinking protein shakes, and my mother freaked out. Her argument was as follows: "The American society is the sickest society in the world, in that there is more cancer, obesity, etc. America also uses supplements. Thus, supplements lead to cancer etc. Do whatever you want, but when you get sick, don't come running to me." Is this valid? I claim it's pure bull****, but I just can't convince her. :rolleyes:

Anyways, what are you results with protein shakes? Are they a must to get built faster/bigger/better? I can't eat a pound of stake a day. One scoop of whey powder yields what, 23? grams of protein. The bodybuilder who owned the gym where I bought it said use 2 scoops a day mixed in 8 ounces of whater, 46 g, which at 80% absorption rate (according to him) should give you around 40g. Now, the container says use only 1 scoop a day. So is his method/advise valid or is he trying to rip me off?

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I take 8 scoops per day and have been pretty hardcore with it for a year now. I've seen good results. When they say "Best intake 2 scoops 3 times per day" or similar on the bucket with whey then they don't mean this is the max. They have to have some recommended dosage so people understand about how much they should take.

You have to understand it's only protein. Whey us derived from dairy (or cheesemaking to be more exact). All dairy include 25% whey and about 75% caseine protein. Whey powder is simply purified whey. It's 100 % natural and the best source to get your amino acids from. Ask her if you can get cancer from drinking milk and you have your answer right there.

Protein can be dangerous to intake if you dose above 5-600 g a day.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. 8 scoops a day? wow... The guy I was talking to said it's a bit redundant to have more than 2. I forget why, but he was canadian powerlifter champion at one point, so I find him as credible. Apparently, it doesn't make a difference if you have more than 1 dose, just a waste of protein. Something about ****ting it out?

Oh, and - he recommended one dose of 2 scoops a day.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell her to show you proof specifically about protein shakes. One thing you should realize though, too much protein can screw up your liver. You don't need to over do it. Check out bodybuilding.com and find a balanced group of supplements to go along with your healthy diet.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I bust 3-5 scoops per day, but I also have 5-7 eggs per day as well.

The scoops are not all together.... for example, 1 scoop in the morning, 2 scoops post workout, 1 in the evening = 4 in the day.

Excess protein may be shytted out, but better to have too much than too little, and to get too much such that it's unhealthy is probably something you don't have to worry about. In addition, according to Dante (a.k.a. Doggcrapp) having huge amounts of protein has an anabolic effect, and your body starts building muscle like crazy.

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
how about ****ting on any advice and testing what works the best for you? sounds good huh

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Parents freak out about stuff like this. Your job isn't to convince her because she still won't agree with it even if everything your saying is right on. Its one of the 48 laws of power, you can be right, right as possible, but you still have gained nothing.

Instead actually put in the time to research weightlifting, bodybuilding etc. Figure out what it is you want from it, make goals etc, be in this for the long hall. And involve your mother in this process. Tell her what your learning, and show her what you'll be doing, not to convince her but just to make her apart of it.

Just be really committed to it and you'll be suprised, she'll be stubborn for awhile but at some point she'll be buying you whey protein and making you meals :)

The general rule for protein is 2x your bw. So get half from whole food and half from whey, not hard to do you just have to do it.

and for research start out here on the forum

Ironaddicts.com

go here too but take it with a big ass grain of salt the forum that is www.bodybuilding.com

il_duce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I take about 4-5 scoops per day, and it's working well so far. 1 at breakfast, 2 post workout, 1 before I go to bed (sometimes 2). My parents were also skeptical at first (sucks living at home :D ) but they are pretty educated about it now.

My brother still gives me crap about it though. He claims that protein shakes are making me fat. Well no ****, that's what happens when you bulk. They are also making me stronger, too. Dumb kid.:rolleyes:

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Speaking of mothers who complain and freak out on protein powder. A friend of mine became tired with it. He was using creatine and protein. He printed out two labels which said "Hormone" and "Drugs" and put one on each of his jug.

Then he proceeded to pour out creatine in small lines on the table and he put some on his nose. When his mother waked up and saw he had creatine around his nostrils and there were lines of it on the table she became hysterical =D

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Huh? 2ce body weight? I thought it was 1g for every pound of muscle mass? Im at 185lbs right now, so I figure I have anywhere between 110 - 140 lbs of pure muscle (?). So I get 40g from the shake, 20g from 2 eggs at breakfast, and the rest from lunch and supper. But is it necessary to have more protein than 1g/1lbs of muscle in order to gain anything?

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People argue alot over this. You'll have to find the intake that fit you. I try to get around 200 g protein a day at 174 lbs.

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
haha yeh you gotta train em. i got flaxseed oil, chashew nuts, soy milk,70%cacoa chocolate and weight plates for christmas. when i visit my mum i get salad with flaxseed oil, turkey breast/lean meat and some carbs. what should i say, im a good trainer :cool:

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lifeforce
Then he proceeded to pour out creatine in small lines on the table and he put some on his nose. When his mother waked up and saw he had creatine around his nostrils and there were lines of it on the table she became hysterical =D

:crackup:

sstype

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It all really depends on how your body reacts to the protien. I do not take whey because for some reason my body does not react well to dairy products, my allergies will act up and I have horrible indigestion and gas. There are other alternatives like soy protien, egg protien, rice protien that you could take.

Keep in mind however, that anything like whey protien are just supplements. USE AS THEY ARE INTENDED.

Doctors and nutritionists will generally agree that too much protien in your system puts a lot of work on your kidneys, so in the long-run you MAY have problems.

My approach is to have meals pre-made and eat 5-6 moderate portions a day with meat, eggs, etc. Not only is that healthier, but you will make more natural gains without overloading yourself with excessive protien that may not even be absorbed.

But hey, try it out and see how your body reacts.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand why msot people round here say to eat at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight, when there's a lot of information from very credible sources to suggest that 1.4g of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight is optimal.

I've lost almost 36 lbs over 2 Summers and I'm going to start bulking this Summer, so what is it, per kilo or per pound?

JazzPimpNYC

Don Juan
Reaction score
The key to protein intake is how much and how long the stuff will remain in your blood stream. Processed proteins such as Whey are rapidly absorbed, which is good when you need a large amount of protein immediately after a work-out, however, in a few hours your body will require more. For bulking, i suggest always having some form of protein in your body at all times, most of it coming from whole, unprocessed foods such as meat, fish, eggs, and soy. That could mean you will eat up to 200+ grams of protein a day. I've seen this method get results for numerous people in the gym. Be sure to eat plenty of carbohydrates for muscle size and begin cycling a creatine monohydrate for optimum size and strength.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by simon
I don't understand why msot people round here say to eat at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight, when there's a lot of information from very credible sources to suggest that 1.4g of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight is optimal.

I've lost almost 36 lbs over 2 Summers and I'm going to start bulking this Summer, so what is it, per kilo or per pound?
The only credible source is yourself in this matter.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for digging that article up, it was a while ago I read it.

Anyway, empiric research is far more valuable in understanding how your body works. When you get the basic down you start to fine tune all the things you need and notice what you'll grow from.