Possibly Taking a Social/Ballroom Dancing Course Over Summer

foomee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you guys think of it?
I'm 20 years old, and I haven't a clue how to social dance or anything and I think it may come in handy someday.
And I'm sure there'll be plenty of women there... hopefully my age.

Has anyone taken a class like this? What do you guys think of it?

michaelhctam

Don Juan
Reaction score
foomee said:
I'm 20 years old, and I haven't a clue how to social dance or anything and I think it may come in handy someday.

Hey there!

Yeah, I use to take ballroom dancing lessons. And just to let you know most of the people that take it are either:

1. Middle aged couples in a mid-life crisis, joylessly and robotically dancing and eventually darting back to the corner with a unsatisfied look on their face.

2. Ditzy teenage girls that thinks she will meet 'Prince Charming' whilst dancing with her pimple ridden AFC 'boyFriend"

3. Hot, taken chicks. Or their male admierers dragged along because she has no partner.

4. Single people, mostly very.....VERY creepy.

Well thats just my situation, i am sure your's will be better.

I think your decision to take dancing lessons is great! Make sure you find a reasonablly priced one though, some are scammers.

foomee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. It's at my local junior college, which gives me better hope for meeting younger women. I think I'll check it out the first day, and depending on who's in there, I'll drop it or not.
No clue on the price yet though. It's two days a week, for about 2 months. It'll most likely cost the same as a typical semester class ($150).

Haha, do you think women would consider me one of the "creepy" guys?

michaelhctam said:
Hey there!

Yeah, I use to take ballroom dancing lessons. And just to let you know most of the people that take it are either:

1. Middle aged couples in a mid-life crisis, joylessly and robotically dancing and eventually darting back to the corner with a unsatisfied look on their face.

2. Ditzy teenage girls that thinks she will meet 'Prince Charming' whilst dancing with her pimple ridden AFC 'boyFriend"

3. Hot, taken chicks. Or their male admierers dragged along because she has no partner.

I think your decision to take dancing lessons is great! Make sure you find a reasonablly priced one though, some are scammers.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foomee said:

Do you plan on going out to ballroom dance often?

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do swing dancing all the fvcken time and it is such an awesome dance to learn.

it is a good thing to learn and plus if you teach your date how to do it, than you get helluva lot of kino.

comic_relief

salvosom

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do it dude !!

I'm a grad student at a state school in the NE. I took a salsa class this semester. Best thing I ever did! Gamed 2 girls in the class,both of them digged me; hooked up with one of them ....

Moreover, I actually learned to dance pretty well! Now I go to a salsa club I don't look like an idiot !

Summary & tips :
-More girls than guys
-you have to hold her hands and hips (no way around it);
-plenty of opportunities to be funny AND ****y , esp. if u dance better than her, or if she screws up a move or something,
-make sure your jokes are in good humor and make self-deprecating jokes so you don't sound like a **** (a few of my favorites: "is math class or dance class" when u have to count steps; "I'll probably step step on ur toes, so be prepared", etc.)
-Introduce urself to every girl u dance with and remember her name; this helps you strike up conversations later
-It helps if there are open dance times where can practice the dances; if theres is, offer that to a girl (or a girl and her sticky girlfriend --- you'll have plenty of opportunity to isolate later)

keep us posted !!!!
-

TheHumanist

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
michaelhctam said:
Hey there!

I been taking ballroom dancing for a while now. Ignore the warning, that's not the norm, well not for me, though it is fueled by the local high school. Anyways, it's a very fun class, the more one get more confortable, the more fun it is. Just a little tip, when I did had a bad time, it is when I came in very self-counsious, so try not come in a bad mood.

IM0001

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have taken a ballroom class at my College for the last 2 years. Its an excellent change in the repetition of the school week and you do meet a few cool people (Mostly women)
If you are starting out in the beginner classes be prepaired for a larger crowd filled with a few good dancers and a lot of bad dancers. Some uguly girls that are actually fun to dance with and a few hot ones that couldnt do a box step to save their life.

Just enjoy the class and learn the moves. Work at becoming a good lead and making it fun for the woman whoever she is.

After you get the basic step of each dance try to practice it to the point that you no longer have to think about it. When you think, you mess up. Try to relax and enjoy it. In time you will be able to make it a lot of fun and look like a pro more than you realize.

Take an intermediate class (the next step up, intermediate, advanced, whatever) after you have taken this one. It will help you improve and usually only the better dancers come to this one. (90% are more attractive) and fun to dance with. Some still are not. And the room is usually less crowded so you have less of a movement problem.

All in all make sure you get some numbers with women you like to dance with (and maby a few guys too for the start) and go dance outside of the class.
Its a lot of fun and good dancers are a joy to dance with.

Like stated above. Try to get some rest before going dancing and come in a good mood. Just be happy to be there and leave everything else off the dance floor. Try to make sure you are making it fun for the woman. If you lead good, have good rythm and can do a few good moves, you will make her look good which in turn will make you look good. Just dont step on any toes.

Also a lot of girls I know hate it when a guy has bad rythm. He can spin and toss them around but if he is dancing to his own beat it just looks kinda funny and the women always need a few songs to recover a real sence of the beat lol.

(spelling be damned im tired :p )