Owen Wilson attempted suicide [Merged Threads]

blueguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
grinder said:
Ah, we have the good old Puritan ethic to thank for this fvcked up mentality. You’re not even supposed to enjoy anything now, and if you do, it’s probably a bad thing. You’re supposed to suffer and sacrifice now and your rewards are in heaven. Sensual pleasure is doubly bad.
Ahh, and we all thought this was progress, but in fact it was only giving in to our worst fears.

We all should just leave the game and become practicing buddhists. ;) At least they have it all figured out in regard to happiness. Not much forward-thinking, and they all seem like losers with no goals in life, yet they are proven time and time again through their meditation and lifestyle to be the happiest in the world.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
am i the only one that got this one?
nah it just didn't have a good zing to it. Kate Hudson got married at the age of 21 to the lead singer of the black crows (he was 34 at the time) and after 6 years and 1 kid later, he had enough of her and he filed for divorce. Then comes Owen Wilson (Mr nice guy) and tells her " oh I am a really nice guy, I will put you on the pedestal and unlike your ex husband I will give a damn about your feelings and worship the ground you walk on and you won't have to fear I will stray for a groupie".

The rest is history!

Victory Unlimited

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo Troops,

On the subject of Owen Wilson, let us not forget that comedy has it's origin in tragedy. And no one KNOWS the absurdities, the inconsistencies, the FRUSTRATIONS of life quite like comedians (OR comedic actors).

It is probably this gift of spinning the paradoxes of life into LAUGHTER that also makes these people (along with many other artistic types) so open and vulnerable to falling prey to the "stalking" darkness that many call DEPRESSION.

So far, there are MANY things that I have experienced over the years that have NOT been easy, pleasant, happy, or SELF-SERVING. But when I look back on these events, SOME of them, I would NOT trade for anything in the world-----LEAST of all, the fleeting feeling of "happiness".

So significant were they in the shaping of who I am today...affecting the way I navigate through this world...steering me towards a future that I CANNOT predict, but am STILL filled with an inexplicable "hope" to see...

I have found life to be a collection of CONTRADICTORY TRUTHS. Selfishness and selflessness BOTH act as "guard rails" that guide us along the road of life in "the ways in which we should go".

There is a TIME to be selfish, and there is a TIME to be self-less. And how do we KNOW what time it IS? Well, our gut, our intuition, our depth of spirituality is most likely the intended VOICE of guidance that directs our paths-----IF we are able and WILLING to listen to it.

I believe that an inconvenient "truth" that FEW people will probably want to accept MIGHT be THIS:

Perhaps the MAIN purpose of this life is NOT to only be happy, but to instead, have a positive, meaningful IMPACT on the lives of OTHERS....

...to make a difference in a world of "INDIFFERENCE".

It would seem that it is USUALLY the people who are successful in THIS endeavor that are remembered fondly AFTER their passing...whether they be famous-----OR, what the "proud and puffed up" would simply call "ORDINARY".

Juan_Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's funny how Kate Hudson allegedly left Chris Robinson for Owen Wilson and Owen Wilson is now allegedly suicidal over losing Kate to Dax Shephard. If all this is true, then a lesson is to be learned. When it comes to women, follow the path of the black crowe.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Victory Unlimited said:
Yo Troops,

On the subject of Owen Wilson, let us not forget that comedy has it's origin in tragedy. And no one KNOWS the absurdities, the inconsistencies, the FRUSTRATIONS of life quite like comedians (OR comedic actors).

It is probably this gift of spinning the paradoxes of life into LAUGHTER that also makes these people (along with many other artistic types) so open and vulnerable to falling prey to the "stalking" darkness that many call DEPRESSION.

So far, there are MANY things that I have experienced over the years that have NOT been easy, pleasant, happy, or SELF-SERVING. But when I look back on these events, SOME of them, I would NOT trade for anything in the world-----LEAST of all, the fleeting feeling of "happiness".

So significant were they in the shaping of who I am today...affecting the way I navigate through this world...steering me towards a future that I CANNOT predict, but am STILL filled with an inexplicable "hope" to see...

I have found life to be a collection of CONTRADICTORY TRUTHS. Selfishness and selflessness BOTH act as "guard rails" that guide us along the road of life in "the ways in which we should go".

There is a TIME to be selfish, and there is a TIME to be self-less. And how do we KNOW what time it IS? Well, our gut, our intuition, our depth of spirituality is most likely the intended VOICE of guidance that directs our paths-----IF we are able and WILLING to listen to it.

I believe that an inconvenient "truth" that FEW people will probably want to accept MIGHT be THIS:

Perhaps the MAIN purpose of this life is NOT to only be happy, but to instead, have a positive, meaningful IMPACT on the lives of OTHERS....

...to make a difference in a world of "INDIFFERENCE".

It would seem that it is USUALLY the people who are successful in THIS endeavor that are remembered fondly AFTER their passing...whether they be famous-----OR, what the "proud and puffed up" would simply call "ORDINARY".
Victory, this post, has to be the most inspiring post I've read on sosuave. I'm speachless at the moment.... well done Soldier. I'm impressed to say the least.

grinder

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blueguy said:
Ahh, and we all thought this was progress, but in fact it was only giving in to our worst fears.

We all should just leave the game and become practicing buddhists. ;) At least they have it all figured out in regard to happiness. Not much forward-thinking, and they all seem like losers with no goals in life, yet they are proven time and time again through their meditation and lifestyle to be the happiest in the world.
Not all Zen Budhists practice Zazen (sitting meditation) or non involvement.

Fvcking is great meditation:up:

I’ve derailed this thread enough. The fact that Owen Wilson did it over a chick is yet another reminder of how deeply ingrained AFC thinking is in this culture.

There are hundreds of thousands of Owen Wilson’s out there waiting on someone to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to “wake up”.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most serious depression has biochemical origins.

Dunno if he's done coke (esp. crack), but coke seriously impairs mood elevating neurotransmitters. I think it burns out the norepinephrine receptors, or some such. That's why so many of these people who have so much going for them are so messed up in the head. Look at Britney, who went from a cheerful kid to a moody shaven-headed rehab patient who freaks out in public.

Coke is bad, bad news for the users, but great for the tabloids....

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I couldn't bang a girl after one of the Black Crowes were with them. I love the band but they are some sleezy dudes, especially Chris Robinson who is the poster boy for drug abuse "after" photos.

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a big factor leading to major depression is low self esteem with high expectations. It creates steep hills to climb.

Many comedians are actors that cover up their depression with humor. Many are bi-polar (i.e. Robin Williams).

You'd think Owen would have plenty of self-esteem though with little doubt. It could be an ego thing too "How could she leave me?".

With OJ, it was ego and he just killed her.

There must be other factors and that was the last straw.

Today's world is more stressful as things move faster. Successes are almost overnight, and someone's world crashing is just as fast. Expectations are higher and competition more than ever.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blueguy said:
Owen Wilson is a very smart man.

Humor is funny because it's half true. It takes intelligence to understand society to mock it with ease.

He's had a large degree of success and 'living life to its fullest.'

It may be a cry for help, but nobody cries for help in this manner unless something is wrong.

He is a 39-year old man, unmarried, childless and has by-and-large discovered quite a different world I'm sure he imagined existed back when he was only 22.

He is certainly not naive.

There is an old saying, "it's lonely at the top." And it's true. Being so famous, I'm sure he's been used and taken more than any of us can ever realize. When you are at the top, no longer can you find anybody to take from, but rather people who consistently want to take advantage of you. And as a result, I'm sure it is certainly hard for him to find people in his life who he can trust and befriend.

Hopefully he can find what he is looking for as his journey is far from over and there is so much more that he can do.
That is an awesome post. This sorta reminds me of TO's suicide attempt.

comic_relief

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most celebrities are searching for a warmth that the spotlight can never provide.

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Huh, a good looking, funny, smart, talented, wealthy young man, attempting suicide.

What this shows, IMO, is that always reaching for something better is not the answer. The buddhists have a lot of things right, and one of them is learning how to be satisfied with what you have at the moment.

So many Hollywood stars are driven to succeed, and when they get that success they're not satisfied. Notice that they almost always turn to a serious relationship with another Hollywood person, it's the logical next step: "well, I've got all this money and fame and p*ssy throwing itself at me 24/7, I'm not happy, so obviously LOVE will bring me happiness".

I was thinking the other day about how many things in my life are things I take as "givens". Hot water. Health Care. The internet. The refrigerator. Video Games.
People in large parts of the world, along with people from every time period for 60,000 years of human life, would give their left nut to have this stuff. We need to give thanks to God or reality or ourselves and realize that we are seriously blessed in terms of the way we live our lives. It makes our current screwups, i.e. wars, global warming, religious intolerance, etc, seem so absolutely unnecessary and downright RIDICULOUS.

blueguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
realsmoothie said:
Huh, a good looking, funny, smart, talented, wealthy young man, attempting suicide.

What this shows, IMO, is that always reaching for something better is not the answer. The buddhists have a lot of things right, and one of them is learning how to be satisfied with what you have at the moment.

So many Hollywood stars are driven to succeed, and when they get that success they're not satisfied. Notice that they almost always turn to a serious relationship with another Hollywood person, it's the logical next step: "well, I've got all this money and fame and p*ssy throwing itself at me 24/7, I'm not happy, so obviously LOVE will bring me happiness".

I was thinking the other day about how many things in my life are things I take as "givens". Hot water. Health Care. The internet. The refrigerator. Video Games.
People in large parts of the world, along with people from every time period for 60,000 years of human life, would give their left nut to have this stuff. We need to give thanks to God or reality or ourselves and realize that we are seriously blessed in terms of the way we live our lives. It makes our current screwups, i.e. wars, global warming, religious intolerance, etc, seem so absolutely unnecessary and downright RIDICULOUS.
Very true. :) Just thinking about it makes me happy. :D

Bonhomme said:
Dunno if he's done coke (esp. crack), but coke seriously impairs mood elevating neurotransmitters. I think it burns out the norepinephrine receptors, or some such.
My (wilder) brother has done meth for some years, and there is a big difference in personality now. Unfortunately, there are some things you just can't recover from. Messing with the brain is dangerous business.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Health care? You must not live in the USA. :)

But levity aside, that's a very good point. Most of us do have a helluva lot going for us ... at least compared to most people on the planet.
What this shows, IMO, is that always reaching for something better is not the answer.
And there are other people who are almost always upbeat, despite living in what we could call a world of shit, as well. What this shows, IMO, is that depression is mostly biochemical.

beastmaster79

Don Juan
Reaction score
focusing too much on end results or goals can **** up your head. you have to choose a life that you can enjoy the day to day. if your job sucks find some hobbies that you enjoy to spice up your life. work on finding a job that you can enjoy. create a lifestyle that is fun. forget about the "if i just had a little more money, or once i get that promotion, or once i get in shape."

if you don't learn to have fun and let loose you will work your whole life and die a joyless person.

enjoy what you've got. play, be physical, etc. focus on goals that you will enjoy achieving.

the natural childlike state of playfulness is beaten out of you as you grow up. you get focused way to much on the future(advancing your career, getting a new car, bigger house) and loose touch with the present.

there are plenty of ways to have fun and laugh without being rich or famous. a lot of famous people are unhappy becuase they thought that being succesful would make them happy and it didn't change much.

being healthy and fit and staying away from drugs, alchohol etc. will make it a lot easier to be happy. indulge your hobbies and interests and socialize with people who share them.

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WestCoaster said:
Agree, it's just that this board for a long time has totally dismissed depression as a disease and something to man-up/tough it out or whatever. The majority of it is chemical imbalances in the brain.

Not you Joekerr, but most people are too lazy to look it up and read something -- a staple in American society, form an opinion without anything to back it up. It's much easier to say "tough it out" than it is to actually go to a library or look it up on the internet and read about it. So much easier to have an uninformed opinion, turn on the idiot box, watch another episode of "Friends" that will rot one's brain and continue to look down on people who are depressed ... only about 99 percent of American society does this.
Can you really blame someone for thinking that though?

We have so many bullsh!t mental diseases and psychological theories anymore that you can't fault someone for being skeptical about depression. You don't have to watch the television for more than 20 minutes to see some new drug being advertised for some ridiculous illness, whether it's mental or physical. And the side effects of the advertised drug are usually worse than whatever it's trying to cure.

My friend, in all seriousness, told me the other day that he deals with Restless Leg Syndrome. My advice to him? Stop drinking coffee because it makes you jittery.

If you ask me, the problem with our society isn't that we make generalizations without doing research to support them. Rather, we're all obsessed with figuring out what's wrong with ourselves.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeYikes122 said:
Can you really blame someone for thinking that though?

We have so many bullsh!t mental diseases and psychological theories anymore that you can't fault someone for being skeptical about depression. You don't have to watch the television for more than 20 minutes to see some new drug being advertised for some ridiculous illness, whether it's mental or physical. And the side effects of the advertised drug are usually worse than whatever it's trying to cure.

My friend, in all seriousness, told me the other day that he deals with Restless Leg Syndrome. My advice to him? Stop drinking coffee because it makes you jittery.

If you ask me, the problem with our society isn't that we make generalizations without doing research to support them. Rather, we're all obsessed with figuring out what's wrong with ourselves.
Some of the diseases are whack, but most of the DSM-IV is pretty accurate. The reason people are skeptical is because they are L-A-Z-Y. Some slob at work told them depression is not a disease, or they saw something stupid on TV.

Yeah, there are also bad foods, bad TV shows, bad entertainers, bad everything, it doesn't mean all symptoms are bad, it means the ones we're hearing about all the time -- restless leg syndrome -- are bad. But more than 90 percent of these symptoms are correct and have been studied, documented, researched by top-notch med schools and the such.

But because a few are stupid -- here we go with American logic again -- ALL are stupid. American logic in a nutshell:

1. My car mechanic is bad, that means all mechanics are bad.

2. The plumbing in my house is bad, all houses are bad.

3. My ex-gf is a coniving, mean beyotch, thus all women are bad.

4. There are a lot of stupid symptoms out there, i.e., all symptoms are bad and there are no mental or physical diseases.

The American public which is forming these opinions don't even read one book a year, watch 6 hours of TV a night, and should be dismissed from giving any opinions that go outside whether their favorite sitcom was funny or not last night.

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When feeling down is persistent and ongoing as if your thoughts are being tugged downward, it is an imbalance. You can't snap yourself out of it because it is physical like a broken leg.

Overwhelming stress typically causes it. Many intelligent people seem to suffer with it more because they try to solve their emotions logically which keeps them stressed.

I'd venture to say, many on this board have suffered from at least one episode of major depression. Unless you've been there, you can't understand it.