no cell phone?

franchise21

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey, my parents will NOT get me a phone, they are old-fashioned...I have given every argument for it and nothign seema to budge them so i pretty much accepted that im not gonna have a cell until college... How does a true DJ handle this?

franchise21

Don Juan
Reaction score
well ok i understand where you're coming from...but is it really that necessary to have one?

Reaction score
Any chance you can eventually get one without their help, or would they keep you from using it anyway ?

Axcell

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some more information would be great! How old are you and what are the reasons your parents are not getting you a cell phone? (Is it too much money? Do your parents just not want you to be talking on the phone all day and money isn't the issue? All of the above?)

If money is the issue, get a job. Cell phones normally cost roughly about $30 a month, totaling to $360 a year. (On a 1 year contract.)
You can work for about a month and make that much money. I would wait till spring break, work throughout that time, than quit.

If it's just the fact that your parents don't want you having one and money isn't the issue, there honestly is not too much that you can debate about. If I was put under this situation, I would make a ****y+funny statement about it: "Oh, I don't have a cell phone. If I had one, I would have girls calling me non-stop!" ;) (And have a very sly smile was saying this.)

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my parents are like that too.

franchise21

Don Juan
Reaction score
ok some background...my parents don't know if they could pay for it...so i offered to pay half, their response was that i shouldn't be wasting my savings on that...also i don't think they want me on the phone all the time, they are kinda irritated when they talk to people and then their phone rings etc. stuff like that...i mean they are old fashioned...becasue they are old...i was born when my parents were 50...my mom has a cell but never uses it, i tried convincing her to just let me have it...but no...then i tried the whole "well you can add another phne to your plan" but no...so i mainly just become frustated, and give up...and to add to my frustrations is when a hot blone asks for my phone number and me going....i don't have a cell phone and her just being turned off

franchise21

Don Juan
Reaction score
I did have a job in the summer...I was a lifeguard and made about $1000 workign when i could around baseball season....

COD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A CELL PHONE IS STATUS SYBOL, IT EXUDES PRIZABILITY, LOOKS COOL IN THE DARK (I-phone rocks bigtime).

It's like a virtual wingman, so many advantages for using a cell phone as a pickup aid/prop. No more stubbling around for a pen and a scrap piece of paper, great opener......."hey check this out (insert youtube video, text funny, etc), keep track of all the women you meet, take pics or videos on the fly for social proof/ego boost, texting in a crowded place, great when you are lost. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

If you don't have a phone get used to being alone...........and ummm holding your bone. Seriously dude there are like cheap pay as you go phones for like 20 bucks and in 2008 tons of I-phone copy cats for under 200 bucks.

PerfectCircle

Don Juan
Reaction score
It probly doesnt make a difference. I dont know. Id imagine theres advantages and disadvantages. I personally dont have 1. I dont think its that important to either.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was your age, what ever age you are, I didn't need a cell phone. The only thing you can do is give everybody the house phone number. Your goal is to always have that phone ringing and keep the line tied up. When they (your parents) start complaining to you that you are always on the phone. Tell them that they wouldn't have this problem if you had your own cell.

You must also promise to be responsible about it and all the other things parents expect from their kids.

Last edited:

Grand Wizzard Alamar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree that owning a cellphone has sort of a peacock effect when you take it out, sparkling in the daylight.

No of course you don't need a cellphone... but it could be very useful because some b!tches are scared of calling your home phone. I dont have a cell and have had girls be like "I'm scared that someone else will pick up and I don't know them." The b!tch was afraid of talking to my dad haha.
Think... how stupid is that?
But don't get me wrong, having a cellphone is a very useful thing. Negotiate some arrangement with your parents, offer to do some extra work. Basically do whatever you must to get it "out of the kindness of your heart" and then get a shiny new cellphone :p

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HandyAndy said:
get a job and pay for your own.
took the words right outta my mouth

i dont carry a cell phone cause i just dont want something ringing all the time

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
start going out more often.

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i just give people my home #

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't have a cell phone, although I need to get one for the summer.

Having a cell phone doesn't lead to that many problems especially since a girl cannot reach me whenever they want it adds to a bit of the mystery. I usually won't show up at my home/dorm phone for two or three days to check my messages.

It's not that big of a deal, but I am getting a plan right now (actually my friend is helping me because he knows someone) and I am getting a Razer ($35.00), 500 anytime minutes with unlimited nights and weekends, and 500 text messages with unlimited incoming texts for $45.00 a month. Which I can make in a weekend of work.

pisses off just about everyone, but makes them wonder where the hell I am and what kind of fun that I am having.

comic_relief

Fred Da Head

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cellphones have a peacock effect? Maybe in the 80s they did, when only the richest men in the world had one. Now, everyone and their grandmother has a cellphone, and most of the "cool" phones are also the ones everyone have. There is NO peacock effect from having a cellphone. If anything, NOT having a cellphone makes you different and recognizable.

Besides, if you can't be reached at all times, it makes you more desirable.

girl_in_a_boy_forum

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not a big believer in cellphones...the only reasons I see for having one are if:
1. your car breaks down
2. you get lost

I didn't get a cell until I went to college and it didn't negatively affect me in any way.

How old are you? And why do you want a cell? Don't you think time spent talking to people on the phone would be better spent in person?

The_Winger.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cell phone would be one of the biggest keys to my dj skills.It saves time as COD said no more stumbling for pen & paper,just whip out ya phone and chuck there number in,Also its kinda a good conversation starter lol.