Need some help with my new P.O.F. account.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know there were some threads started about making the ultimate template for a Plenty of fish profile. Ugh.. this is hard! I hate selling myself. I'm usually better at this when I'm one on one with someone. Profiles are terrible ice breakers.

Okay i need something for my hobbies and what I would do on a first date.

Here's what I've written so far: I'm a video game nerd so some of my hobbies are video games! I like talking to people and listening to their stories. I like hiking and...cats? Hiking with cat on leash is a +. Hope to do that one day.

I'm currently doing voice over works for an anime company, but I'd like to do more. One day I hope to do radio commercials and cartoons for Cartoon Network. n the meantime I bartend to pay the bills.

My taste in music spans from Amy Winehouse to Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series. From Jamie Cullum to Nine Inch Nails. I pretty much like everything and open to any kind of music as long as it's pleasing to my ears. I don't discriminate...unless it's High School Musicals 1 through 3. Don't bother reading the rest of my profile if you like Zach Effron. (sp?)

They also wanted me to describe my ideal date:

Something active. Something that gets us talking instead of focusing what's on the menu. I'd rather hear about your likes and dislikes without food in your mouth. :D Movies are dumb for a date. We can't talk and what if the movie sucks? Buying groceries for LUNCH and cooking it seems like a cool idea. Never done it before but it might be a good idea. You can steal my idea if you want. lol If you're athletic we could always play Dance Dance Revolution! I'm a good teacher. ^_~

Mr. Fu<king internet Casanova over here. Help plz.

RMM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't hike with a cat on a leash, you hike with a cat sitting on top of your hat.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol Any other suggestions?

Edit: Why do I feel really dirty?

Last edited:

BeyondCharm

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok... So I logged in so I could reply to what might be quite terribly the worst I've ever read........

I should just give you some text verbatim to use since redoing what you wrote would be... well maybe I'll try both...

Here's one you can use for starters:
I am motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion and by a feeling that needs expressing. I'd like to meet new people who are adventurous, open-minded, optimistic, creative and happy.

Im very selective about who I choose to be around, I enjoy my time with people who are outgoing, love to laugh, open minded and genuine. I'm a lot more down to earth than I look and am considered to be by many the life of the party... as in... it's not a party until I roll in.. but my party days are behind me... last weekend I called it quits... I'm on a 5-day break and then we'll see how it goes again ;)

Oh and I hope you like long walks on the beach, horse back riding, castles, fancy cars, expensive jewelry and people with lots of money because I am working on a womens romance novel called "Twenty-eight and change..." that depicts my life after my romance novel hits the best-seller list... and you can be a part of making all that possible.. by telling me about the cheesy things guys tried to do to get in your pants... we'll both laugh about it over a bottle of wine under a palm tree while we watch the fire dancers spin fire for us... oh wait.. i'm doing it now...

---

Well I made that up... but notice how it's fun, irrational and interesting??? And barely talks about you in any real sense? that's what women like.. someone with enough character not to take all the bs seriously..

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nope. I don't want to invest much into it because I hate chasing. I put what BC wrote on top of the other crap I wrote. We'll see what happens. ^_~

1 Lucky FLIP

Don Juan
Reaction score
ThunderMaverick said:
Nope. I don't want to invest much into it because I hate chasing. I put what BC wrote on top of the other crap I wrote. We'll see what happens. ^_~
I'm very interested in this thread. Since I just created an account yester-night, can I hear a brief background of what's going on?

J.F.

Don Juan
Reaction score
WOW...this has got to be the worst online dating profile I have ever seen. Sorry buddy, but you are totally clueless!

ThunderMaverick said:
I'm a video game nerd so some of my hobbies are video games!
At this point, 99% of girls will stop reading and write you off as a total loser. I mean, who the f*ck wants to date a video game nerd?? lol

ThunderMaverick said:
I like talking to people and listening to their stories. I like hiking and...cats? Hiking with cat on leash is a +. Hope to do that one day.
I know this is an attempt at humor, but it's totally corny.

ThunderMaverick said:
I'm currently doing voice over works for an anime company, but I'd like to do more. One day I hope to do radio commercials and cartoons for Cartoon Network.
Great. More nerdiness...

ThunderMaverick said:
My taste in music spans from Amy Winehouse to Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series).
...and even more nerdiness.

ThunderMaverick said:
From Jamie Cullum to Nine Inch Nails. I pretty much like everything and open to any kind of music as long as it's pleasing to my ears. I don't discriminate...unless it's High School Musicals 1 through 3. Don't bother reading the rest of my profile if you like Zach Effron. (sp?)[/i]
So corny...

ThunderMaverick said:

Something active. Something that gets us talking instead of focusing what's on the menu. I'd rather hear about your likes and dislikes without food in your mouth. :D Movies are dumb for a date. We can't talk and what if the movie sucks? Buying groceries for LUNCH and cooking it seems like a cool idea. Never done it before but it might be a good idea. You can steal my idea if you want. lol If you're athletic we could always play Dance Dance Revolution! I'm a good teacher. ^_~
Jesus, not the f*cking video games again!! And if buying groceries and cooking lunch on a first date is your idea of "fun"...well, let's just say most people would disagree.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but your profile is just absolutely terrible. My suggestion would be to browse other guys' profiles, and if you come across someone who sounds really cool, steal a paragraph or two and modify it to fit your situation (but for Christ's sake, don't say anything about video games!). Remember, it's not so much what you say but how you say it.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're new here, so I'll let slide your sweeping generalizations about me. It's not your fault. It was the fact that I said I liked video games that got you all hard.

Clueless when it comes to online dating, yes. Getting girls to sit on my c0ck a few times...no. I'm sure I stated this before, but this was kinda of a fluke project that I didn't bother to put my heart into - hence that's why I came here - to find some good pick-up lines. I'm not use to being phony or marketing myself to people. I'm usually just me and people can either take it or leave it. Being myself has worked out pretty well because when I meet girls with the same interest (i.e. videogames or Anita Baker) it's easier to filter them out from the girls who want flash or an exterior show. I'm not a pick up artist. I'm sure I could lay twice as many dumb women if I pulled a Mystery Method, but it wouldn't be very fulfilling.

You also want to know why I don't post here so much? First, I don't like writing. Second, I get laid too often. I never ever do this but what the hell. You want to know how NOT hard up I am for sex?

Met an 18 year old at a party - ****ed her several times in my car over a duration of 2 weeks. She had a boyfriend and I didn't want to deal with it any further. Dropped her.

Fu<ked another girl who I met at another party over a duration of 4 months. She left to Texas.

Fu<ked a girl I knew from Vegas who flew in. Going back to Vegas this weekend.

Fu<k a girl who was a friend of my sister's...actually, two of them. My sister still doesn't know.

God, there's another one in there...OH! Was invited to a swingers party with a bunch of milfs who wanted to fu<k me. (Couldn't get into it, too many dudes in the room. It was interesting though) all of these encounters happened this year, and it's not even half over yet.

Funny, most if not all these women knew I played videogames. I didn't even put any effort to play myself up to be some woman's fantasy. Their fantasies are of no concern to me. It's all about your attitude and how confident you are with yourself and your sexuality. It's about how funny you are too. I don't ever remember laying a girl without laughing them into bed first.

I don't have a car at the moment..I don't even have most of my life together at the moment and I still get women. Maybe I'm doing SOMETHING right. I dunno. The point is, your chastising me on my taste in entertainment is kinda pointless. Write something about me liking videogames that's funny and clever and I'll copy n' paste it on my profile. I'd appreciate it. THX

jimmyb

Reaction score
I had to retrieve my forgotten login information just to reply to this.

I have to support what others have said -- terrible. It may be harsh, but it's tough love. The odds of this profile yielding any results are not in your favor.

You create no mystique about yourself. You come off as a goofy kid that is more interested in video games than a social life. You've pretty much laid on the table the reasons a woman would not want to go on the first date.

If you're LOL'ing at humor attempts you've made in your profile, they're LOL'ing at your profile.

A successful profile will convey values of an interesting, confident male. A successful profile will break the stereotype the female has of the guys on these dating sites (nerds, anti-socials, etc).

Some may not think this response is positive, but I'm telling you what's going on in the female's head.

Trader

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ThunderMaverick said:
lol Any other suggestions?

Edit: Why do I feel really dirty?
Because in real life you naturally exhibit your value and the girl sees it. You are the Prize to be Won. In real life, the fact that you like to play video games doesn't really matter, you DHV in other ways

Whereas the format of online dating automatically gives the frame completely over to the girl. She is the Prize to be Won - therefore any tiny negative, such as video games, gets blown up in your face.

Online dating is a total loss of frame control - avoid.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ThunderMaverick said:
I'm a video game nerd so some of my hobbies are video games! I like talking to people and listening to their stories. I like hiking and...cats? Hiking with cat on leash is a +. Hope to do that one day.

First of all, don't reply if you can't appreciate the fine art of video games. I unabashedly love playing video games, and unless you can talk about stuff like that, don't bother.

When I'm not gaming like a teenager on meth, I like with hiking and cats. I also think people are absolutely fascinating. To think I could spend an hour just listening to the amazing stories of a completely random stranger just boggles my mind.

I'm currently doing voice over works for an anime company, but I'd like to do more. One day I hope to do radio commercials and cartoons for Cartoon Network. n the meantime I bartend to pay the bills.
I work as a bartender, which allows me the pleasure of meeting tons of people. On the side I do voice overs for anime (japanese cartoons), which I will naturally turn into a fun career, (as well as doing radio ads) once I can tear myself away from the fun of bartending enough to further improve my skills.

My taste in music spans from Amy Winehouse to Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series. From Jamie Cullum to Nine Inch Nails. I pretty much like everything and open to any kind of music as long as it's pleasing to my ears. I don't discriminate...unless it's High School Musicals 1 through 3. Don't bother reading the rest of my profile if you like Zach Effron. (sp?)
I like most music, obviously some more than others, but anything that puts me in a good mood (which ain't that hard lol) is good. Except maybe high school musical. Then I might attempt suicide.

My ideal date is with my ideal girl. And when I'm with my ideal girl, anything will do. To apply for my ideal girl position, send me a message (or whatever you call it) and we'll go from there.

But just to be on the safe side,(in case you are one of those lizard people I hear about), my first dates are always somewhere in the open, in public, and no longer than an hour. An hour with a secret lizard girl is all can handle right now.

Mr. Fu<king internet Casanova over here. Help plz.
Since this is likely a goofball experiment, try and "split test," meaning set up two very similar profiles, and see which one gets better responses. Then hold the better performing one constant, and tweek the other one and see what happens. then just keep switching back and forth, and see what happens.

If you keep it up, after a few months, you should have a pretty kick a$$ profile set up.

1 Lucky FLIP

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow. Taiyuu, I have to say, that profile may actually work. Taking something that is definitely a turn-off if said in concrete, and turning it into high value interests....pure genious. I definitely give it a whirl

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thunder,

Put up some good pictures as well. A picture is worth a 1000 words. It really doesn't matter what your write, because if women like the pictures of you having fun and living life to the fullest...

She will interpret your profile in a positive way.

That's why it's good to be blunt, and to the point with the profle. I got a sense of a lack of confidence reading your original profle.

Which I know isn't true about you.

Also, think about what type of gal you want to meet. Then, think about the great things about yourself that a gal like that, would like. Then, put those in the profile.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
TM, I would put "video games" at the back of your list of hobbies, not the front. If that IS your majority-of-time hobby...you need to exapnd your horizons. This coming from a guy who used to play video games ALL the time. :p I've even invited women over my house to play Tekken. Well, to whoop their asses at Tekken, and then whoop their asses in an altogether different way. :D

Saying you like YOUR cat is one thing. Saying you "like cats" projects a different image altogether. You might get approached online by a bunch of beautiful people, but they may not be women. :nervous:

You do voice-over for "cartoons". Using the word "anime" anywhere in an online dating profile is ill-advised. For most people, it engenders images of tentacle monsters raping schoolgirls. Most women who would be impressed with your "otaku status" don't bathe. :p

Bluntmaster

Banned
Reaction score
You need some serious online game TM. It's a different animal than real life game.

Duffdog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is the best advise you will ever receive regarding POF.

get off of it entirely and delete your profile. Looks are the only thing that matters online, if you aren't lucky enough to be born with them...give up and try something else.

Bluntmaster

Banned
Reaction score
Duffdog said:
Here is the best advise you will ever receive regarding POF.

get off of it entirely and delete your profile. Looks are the only thing that matters online, if you aren't lucky enough to be born with them...give up and try something else.

that's not true. Game works anywhere if you have the right game.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Dude...first of all, smile. None of your pics say to me, "life of the party". They say, "I will barely talk to you on our first date". Show some positive energy. The brooding/mysterious look is VERY overrated.

Again, your top two interests are "DDR" and "video games". As I said, I think you need to expand your horizons. Your profile gives me the vibe of someone who has a very firm "comfort zone" and doesn't like to step outside of it.

When I read the profile, I can IMMEDIATELY tell which of the paragraphs are yours and which are BeyondCharm's. This is how college professors detect plagarism...it SOUNDS like you're stealing ideas from someone else.

If you're on a dating site and your profile doesn't sound genuine, women will not want to talk to you. They have enough trouble trying to filter out disingenuous dudes in REAL life. If you're not the "deep-thought" type, don't pretend to be to get chicks.

Your sense of humor is too cynical. Your "first date" paragraph doesn't say, "I'm a funny guy who understands how kooky chicks are" like you intended. It says, "I am tired of women's bullsh!t." Also, you oversell the "High School Musical" bit.

You also do little to define YOURSELF in this profile. Between BC's "great dreams" stuff (hate to keep busting on him, but it feels corny and incongruent) and your cynical humor, you do LITTLE to define YOU. You don't need to tell your life-story, but if I'm a girl reading this, you've given me no real "feel" about who you are or why you stand out from the other million clods on this website.

I hate to be so critical...after all, I'm not a chick, and maybe you've pulled tons of women with what you've got. Maybe I have no idea what women on "dating sites" are after. I'm just telling you what impressions *I* get when *I* look. :p