Maximize Strength Per Pound

Live

Don Juan
Reaction score
I dunno about the rest of you, but none of your workouts can work for me right now. I run track&field junior olympics, and for my highschool. So my days consist of a **** load of cardio, and in essence I eat everything! ill stuff my face with peanut butter, crackers, whatever is lying around the house but i cant gain a friggen lb for the life of me. Note: genetics also is part of this. But, yea cardio 6 days a week ranging from 30 min to 2 hours depending on intensity. I also lift 4 times a week for about an hour. While, i always tried getting bigger, it never worked i cant gain weight.

Currently im taking two protein shakes a day, plus regular meals and snacks... 6 days of cardio and 4 days of lifting (2 legs 1 arms 1 back)

I think this is probably the best to get your strength per pund up... because currently im #1 in my highschool and stronger based on weight then anyone I know.

I currently weigh 135, bench press 215, leg press around 900, and military 140. I'll post some pics when i get a chance. but yea for all those out there who want to cut... RUN! ****'ll stop you from gaining weight asap!

AdrenalynJunkee

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thats an impressive bench for a 135 pounder. But yes, during track season it is seriously tough to gain weight. I've managed to only pack on about 2lbs this entire season. I need to get back into the gym.:(

Maestro Monk

Don Juan
Reaction score
Impressive lift figures..but why bother doing 2 hours of cardio? More likely burning muscle over fat for durations that long.

Live

Don Juan
Reaction score
my cardio includes a half hour for warmup which consists of lunge walks, high knees, etc... and stretching thoroughly. Also, about 10 minutes of ab work every day so about 45 minutes of my 2 hour carido is warmup and abs. Note: the rest of that time isnt straight running. I run intervals, tempo runs, long runs, poly work. etc...

AdrenalynJunkee

Don Juan
Reaction score
That cardio works. I'd rather have 15 minutes of flat out intense cardio. It does wonders. Split your cardio/plyo days up. Don't do them together, you need to be fresh to have optimal plyo performance.

Also, HIGH weights (while still having proper form) with low reps, increases your strength greatly, while not gaining a whole lot of muscle

Rep range usually plays out like this.

1-3 Reps, Mainly Strength
4-6 Strength/Mass (Not a whole lot of mass gain, but a good deal of strength, which in turn = more weight, and with this rep set, eventually even more mass)
8-12 Mainly Mass, minimal strength.
13+ Endurance

Laney

Don Juan
Reaction score
You want just strength? No extra mass? Don't want to get sore? NO PROBLEM! :D

Pick ur lifts!!

Squat (Ass to the grass....)
Deadlift
Bench Press
Barbell Press
Weighted Pullups
Weighted Dips

Pick upto five of them on a given workout....

Load up the bar as heavy as you can handle it.

Do a single warmup rep... Adjust the weight as needed!

Lift the weight... Make sure that it's heavy enough so that you cant complete more than 4 reps with it. Stop one lift before failure. (Ie... 1-4 rep max)

Wait 4-5 mins.

Take off 10-15% of the weight... ie.. You squatted 100 KG's... Use 90-85kgs.

Lift it ONLY for 5 reps.

Rest...

Go onto the next one, and repeat above!

Might sound kinda weird, but you'll get hellishly strong, without burning out at all.... Trains ur nervous system to contract more muscle fibres at once. And increases myofibrillar density, without causing any type of hypertrophy.

Want more little hints and tips like this one? Well... You're gonna have to buy my ebook when i get it out :)

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
then how come i feel a big soreness after for example squatting heavy weight for 4reps?

Laney

Don Juan
Reaction score
Did you do JUST 4 reps? Or a ton more stuff before and after?

You feel sore because your muscles are increasing the protein density... aka Myofibrillar density.... of your muscles... If your muscles dont have the optimum buildup already, you're gonna feel a 'lil sore the first few times.

After that, it's all nervous system work.

Low volume + HEAVY = Strong, with little mass.

High volume + HEAVY = Strong and BIG!

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3sets with 4reps, 3minutes break. did also bench press and bentoverrows on this workout

Laney

Don Juan
Reaction score
Doesn't matter... Compound only though, unless you want to pack on muscle that doesn't know how to coordinate itself...

That, and compound lifts release more HGH into the bloodstream, causing greater fibre density. And a greater potential for maximal hypertrophy if you want it.

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
900lb you do with your legs? thats like 400kg? how the hell can you manage that weighing only around 60kg? how many reps do you do?

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to loose weight, from the research I have read, swimming is the fastest way to burn calories. Although running is high on the list, just behind skipping I think.

If you want to cut, DIET! (and do it right)!!

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Many leg press machines are shyte and the indicated weight you are pressing is just plain wrong, and the way you press can give you mechanical advantage too.

Other stuuf like the ohp are much more impressive, or is it a push press/jerk.

At this age the guy should be aiming for the circus although I'm not sure whether he is a strongman or just a clown.

Live

Don Juan
Reaction score
all of these are my maxes. i've got no real pictures except for one of me running and its blurry as ****. Im the guy in black, running the 800m just caught rm guy.

here