Lorekeeper's building of a better beast. Journal with pics.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you're a computer programmer sitting on your ass day in day out and the only time you're actually moving around using your whole body/burning lots of cals is when you're probably playing foot ball. You're prob way to overweight to run, hence your ankles hurting. Long steady state cardio many times a week is what you need or intense bike intervals......

More muscle groups hit each session, something with antagonist work would be real great chest/back, legs, shoulders/tris/bis Supersets short rest periods. You're plan is **** and you're going to see mediocre results. Have fun being stagnant in your progress.

You would be one of the only people I'd probably recommend do some full body work maybe once or twice a week. We need to get your body very uncomfortable day in day out...sorry doing only shoulders or arms in a session is not really going to cut it.

Want to get to your goal the fastest ? Listen to guys like John Romaniello follow his recommendations to a "t" and you can thank me later.

Here he goes through everything a lot better than I could. Hitting muscle groups twice a week short sessions 40-45 minutes tops with real short rest periods. You're trying to lose fat so remember keeping it MOVING....no long breaks no talking bull****ting around.

He recommends circuit training once a week. he has a sample circuit outlined that you can use.

here read http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...mance/the_five_principles_of_radical_fat_loss

here's instructions on how to go about making your own circuit routine. Just do exercises you can do properly, always start off a bit lighter than you think.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...e/complexes_20_optimize_your_fatloss_workouts

Last edited:

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
you're a computer programmer sitting on your ass day in day out and the only time you're actually moving around using your whole body/burning lots of cals is when you're probably playing foot ball. You're prob way to overweight to run, hence your ankles hurting. Long steady state cardio many times a week is what you need or intense bike intervals......

More muscle groups hit each session, something with antagonist work would be real great chest/back, legs, shoulders/tris/bis Supersets short rest periods. You're plan is **** and you're going to see mediocre results. Have fun being stagnant in your progress.

You would be one of the only people I'd probably recommend do some full body work maybe once or twice a week. We need to get your body very uncomfortable day in day out...sorry doing only shoulders or arms in a session is not really going to cut it.
You're right. I do sit on my ass all day. 8-9 hours a day, +1.5hr travel, = 49 hours a week sitting on my ass.

However, I DO try to jog everyday (on treadmill), at least 10 minutes, some times up to 35min (albeit rare) along with the football, is that not enough?

Ok. So maybe the working one bodypart a week might not be benaficial for me, but i'm going 5 days a week, even doing a full body workout 2-3 times a week will eat up a lot of time.

would you suggest I change my 5 day a week program to a 3day a week program? or to a 5 day a week program, but 2-3 times a week do a full body one, or do each muscle group twice a week?

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Holy crap, so much reading :S

I went to the gym last night before reading your edit, and I tried changing my routine to upperbody/lowerbody

on the 22nd I did Chest/back (minor arms) I did 70lb dumbell press (a record this year) and on the second set I was struggling to 6, and on 7 I was pushing it so hard and just inching it up some guy came over to spot me and started giving me encouragement. glad I got it.

the fact you've suggested doing muscle groups (before you posted reading material) I was kinda happy about trying muscle groups twice a week. the suggestions in the articles (2nd) look really tough. I've seen people doing them at the gym, but we're not allowed dropping weights at our gym. i will do some testing to see what I'm comfortable with, but they look really tough, I have a REALLY bad level of balance...

one thing that made me REALLY REALLY happy was after finishing chest back arms, I walked into the changing room to change, and when i took off my shirt I had veins! lol, I've never seen a vein pop out from my body, it started at my chest, across my shoulders and down to my forarms.

weightloss these past 2 days was non-existant. I went back up to 210, but last night i had a cheat meal, one of my old plates invited me over for burgers at her place. turns out she's seeing this other girl off/on again so forget her.

Still havent drank any alcohol, when she asked me why i wasnt drinking I told her "because I don't feel like it" but i really really felt like it.

Losing alcohol really makes me feel dead inside, I can't loosen up and my level of humour has radically dropped.

Do Quaaludes in low doses (never done them before) affect your body when working out?

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lorekeeper said:
Holy crap, so much reading :S

I went to the gym last night before reading your edit, and I tried changing my routine to upperbody/lowerbody

ok good

on the 22nd I did Chest/back (minor arms) I did 70lb dumbell press (a record this year) and on the second set I was struggling to 6, and on 7 I was pushing it so hard and just inching it up some guy came over to spot me and started giving me encouragement. glad I got it.

the fact you've suggested doing muscle groups (before you posted reading material) I was kinda happy about trying muscle groups twice a week. the suggestions in the articles (2nd) look really tough. I've seen people doing them at the gym, but we're not allowed dropping weights at our gym. i will do some testing to see what I'm comfortable with, but they look really tough, I have a REALLY bad level of balance...

Yeah don't know if I failed to mention, my apologies if I did. Do what is comfortable for you and exercises you know you can push to the limit without form suffering too much. Most people can do a shoulder press, rows, and squats just fine. Do a circuit like that once a week for 5-6 rounds and change up the weights/rest periods session to session.

one thing that made me REALLY REALLY happy was after finishing chest back arms, I walked into the changing room to change, and when i took off my shirt I had veins! lol, I've never seen a vein pop out from my body, it started at my chest, across my shoulders and down to my forarms.

Nice, now just stay in the groove of things keep your workouts down to 40-45 minutes but intense, short rest periods. You should be leaving drenched in a bit of sweat but still feeling good.

weightloss these past 2 days was non-existant. I went back up to 210, but last night i had a cheat meal, one of my old plates invited me over for burgers at her place. turns out she's seeing this other girl off/on again so forget her.

It's k...once in a while to have a cheat meal, just make sure the next day to take extra precaution to eat clean. Hell @ times a cheat meal can give a kick start to fat loss if one hasn't indulged in some dirty food for a long while

Still havent drank any alcohol, when she asked me why i wasnt drinking I told her "because I don't feel like it" but i really really felt like it.

Just put away 1-2 nights a month you can have some drinks. I'd stick with straight liquor on the rocks. I always go with that + lime. Before going I also try to load up on some protein and good fats. I rarely drink beer, if and when I do it's usually something real light (miller/bud light) Could care less about people saying it's not real" beer.

As far as wine. You could probably get away with a glass or two some nights. Red wine has reservatol which is real good for you.

Losing alcohol really makes me feel dead inside, I can't loosen up and my level of humour has radically dropped.

Do Quaaludes in low doses (never done them before) affect your body when working out?
qualudes ...."That's alright, another quaalude and she'll love me in the morning."
-Al Pacino in "Scarface"

I'd avoid the stuff, could make you real groggy/sleepy. Why are you asking. You should stock up on caffeine pills or a good pre workout supplement.

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Carlitos: I have not changed yet to those exercises, I tried a couple of them and my form is horrible, I will do a few more weeks of general training before practicing more. I just want to work out my stabilizers a bit more. I AM getting drenched in sweat. Although I've switched to upperbody, lowerbody and one day of cardio and isolation (m: up t:down w:iso t:up f:down) I'm trying to fit it in the 45 min window but its just so hard. did it in 1:15 today (not including cardio) RE: quaaludes, just asking, it doesnt have the calories, but it does get you drunk. never tried em. RE: caffine, past 3 days I've been tasking light doses of effedrine and xcedrine just to see how my body takes it. it does give me a little more energy.

Updates:
1)still bouncing around 207-210.

2)Last night I had a beer. one beer. it got me a bit buzzed. went out late and had a glass of wine at someones house. wow. feels good to have a buzz (light)

3)I've still been feeling like ****. Finally figured nobody wants to hang around someone where they are in the dumps, so I act chippier and good, but then take it out in the gym.

4) I missed 2 days at the gym. one day I was working a 18 hour shift and only had time to get home and change (bouncing a high school grad party) second day was freaking st jean baptist. everything's closed. went to my friends house and helped him paint instead.

5)tried jump roping. could not get past 25. went again and again and again. kept messing up. kept trying. kept trying. gave up. left aerobic room. yelled at myself turned back around, picked it up, and in one shot did 29. learned a lesson: DO IT. Today did jump ropes again. got to 34 like 6 times. said I'm going to do at least one more. at least 35. I had a date. DO IT. ****ING DO IT. you're not gonna leave this room till it's done I was in that room for 30 ****ing minutes. possibly over 1000 jumpropes trying to get 35. got 39 dropped it and left. second lesson: Don't give up.

6) on 3rd no carb day. it hit me so hard in the gym. I did 75 db press, then went to 55lb seated military press and couldn't get the weight up. I was like... WTF? no seriously WTF!!! I normally do 70lb military dumbbell press. I CANT EVEN LIFT 55?? I ended up struggling with 35!!! MY ENTIRE ROUTINE WAS HALVED!!! holy ****. gonna be glad to get some carbs in me tomorrow.

7) my date flaked on me. 3rd Friday in a row I'm staying alone at home. all dressed up and probably just gonna go crash.

8)hb7+ do not notice me losing weight. hb6 and lower ALL notice it. "holy ****! you've lost so much weight!! do you need a gf??" no. not you. I have standards.

9) all my pants are too loose. I've now made 5 notches in my belt. distance between my january notch and now? a good 5 inches.

10) I bought a shirt last year cause I liked it. it was too small for me but i said one day I will fit into it, it's a really nice shirt. Yesterday I wore it outside for the first time. it's still a little tight... but it was a little victory for me.

pic updates tomorrow. I'm dead frigging tired.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lorekeeper said:
Carlitos: I have not changed yet to those exercises, I tried a couple of them and my form is horrible, I will do a few more weeks of general training before practicing more. I just want to work out my stabilizers a bit more. I AM getting drenched in sweat. Although I've switched to upperbody, lowerbody and one day of cardio and isolation (m: up t:down w:iso t:up f:down) I'm trying to fit it in the 45 min window but its just so hard. did it in 1:15 today (not including cardio) RE: quaaludes, just asking, it doesnt have the calories, but it does get you drunk. never tried em. RE: caffine, past 3 days I've been tasking light doses of effedrine and xcedrine just to see how my body takes it. it does give me a little more energy.

Updates:
1)still bouncing around 207-210.

2)Last night I had a beer. one beer. it got me a bit buzzed. went out late and had a glass of wine at someones house. wow. feels good to have a buzz (light)

3)I've still been feeling like ****. Finally figured nobody wants to hang around someone where they are in the dumps, so I act chippier and good, but then take it out in the gym.

4) I missed 2 days at the gym. one day I was working a 18 hour shift and only had time to get home and change (bouncing a high school grad party) second day was freaking st jean baptist. everything's closed. went to my friends house and helped him paint instead.

5)tried jump roping. could not get past 25. went again and again and again. kept messing up. kept trying. kept trying. gave up. left aerobic room. yelled at myself turned back around, picked it up, and in one shot did 29. learned a lesson: DO IT. Today did jump ropes again. got to 34 like 6 times. said I'm going to do at least one more. at least 35. I had a date. DO IT. ****ING DO IT. you're not gonna leave this room till it's done I was in that room for 30 ****ing minutes. possibly over 1000 jumpropes trying to get 35. got 39 dropped it and left. second lesson: Don't give up.

6) on 3rd no carb day. it hit me so hard in the gym. I did 75 db press, then went to 55lb seated military press and couldn't get the weight up. I was like... WTF? no seriously WTF!!! I normally do 70lb military dumbbell press. I CANT EVEN LIFT 55?? I ended up struggling with 35!!! MY ENTIRE ROUTINE WAS HALVED!!! holy ****. gonna be glad to get some carbs in me tomorrow.

7) my date flaked on me. 3rd Friday in a row I'm staying alone at home. all dressed up and probably just gonna go crash.

8)hb7+ do not notice me losing weight. hb6 and lower ALL notice it. "holy ****! you've lost so much weight!! do you need a gf??" no. not you. I have standards.

9) all my pants are too loose. I've now made 5 notches in my belt. distance between my january notch and now? a good 5 inches.

10) I bought a shirt last year cause I liked it. it was too small for me but i said one day I will fit into it, it's a really nice shirt. Yesterday I wore it outside for the first time. it's still a little tight... but it was a little victory for me.

pic updates tomorrow. I'm dead frigging tired.
yeah stay on top of the jump roping. Probably one of the best things you could do. lol do this, you'll hate me but it'll get your body revving like an engine. Interval of jump roping followed by as many burpees as you can get. Rest. Do that 3-5 circuits. As they get easier decrease rest periods and do more circuits:)

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Update: Saturday, got up in the morning. Moved someone (couple of carloads) went to football. did not get too tired, I was playing a receiver position so either my cardio is noticeably better, or playing line back is harder.
morning weight: 205.

Sunday: My day of rest. Went to breakfast. helped my soon to be roomie to take apart her dresser. went to park and threw around the football. (onitis was there) moved to a vollyball pit and played 2 vollyball games. pretty fun. havent played it in over 15 years. got my apartment keys. saw my room for the first time, kinda small ;)
Morning weight.....(drumroll please) _202FREAKING LBS_!!!!!! (note, scale might have been messed up. expecting it to go back to 205 tommorow morning.)

gonna hate the upcoming week.

pics week 4:
Front: http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad103/lorekeeper_photos/starting/june26week4_front.jpg
side:http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad103/lorekeeper_photos/starting/june26week4_side.jpg
Back:http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad103/lorekeeper_photos/starting/june26week4_back.jpg

yes, I shaved off the beard (it was a playoff beard, I just kept it on after the playoffs). good/bad?

had to cut more holes in my belt. fron nov till now I have made at least 6 holes in my belt for a total of about 5inches lost

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
expected 205 this morning. weighted in at 201.5

today is a carb day, looking forward to getting some energy. hope tonight's gym session is better than Friday's.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wow great progress so far. I can really see you starting to take some shape. Honestly that beard had to go and glad you shaved it. You look a 100 times better/younger now. A nice soul patch wouldn't hurt tho lolz! (only facial hair I rock)

Just stay with it. upper/lower body split seems perfect for your situation right now. So stay with it. When you get down to your goal, we can switch it up for better suited muscle gaining type routine.

again nice job. Don't look back now, time to push it even more. Keep the momentum going.

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I walked in to breakfast yesterday and my friends were like "you look so mean without your beard" But I've been having a bad month. HB8Lawyer keeps calling me "grumpy" and stuff.

I had a soulpatch before the beard. To tell you the truth, I've rocked a goatee for 16 years. i only shaved it off a year ago and had a soulpatch for a few months. When I shaved it off I first trimmed the soulpatch but then just shaved it off (i have lots of grey hairs in it)

Now's when it's going to start getting tough. I'm willing to go through with it. I keep telling myself I have to see it through or I will die.

I'm moving into my apartment soon. The quote I made on my wall gave me motivation, but now i need a new one for my new room. I've dropped this much, I know that I can do it, now I just need to keep going. I spent my lunch looking up quotes, these are on the shortlist:

Destitutus ventis, remos adhibe (If the wind will not serve, take to the oars. with two oars crossed under it)

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
William B. Sprague

You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.
Henry David Thoreau (with a hammer and forge, or a blacksmith)

If you would create something,
you must be something.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

In this world a man must either be an anvil or hammer.
Henry W. Longfellow (same, with a hammer and anvil)

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
203 this morning. expected it as yesterday was carb day. even though, the gym was still hard, doing all those exercises is killing me, might have hurt my shoulder a bit, it feels like its "popping" a tad.

also re-hurt my left knee, I get shooting pain from the bottom of my kneecap to my bone.

I'm moving out of m parents today, and my roommate is a chiropractor. will be seeing her at her office for a consultation this week.

a few posts back I mentioned I had bought a shirt I liked and finally fit into it. This morning I found a pair of pants in my closet that I ahvent been able to fit in for 5 years, (i was a 44 waist, the pants are a tight 40)... and they are loose on me.

I just wish I was feeling better about this. all i see is work ahead of me.

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, 204.

Last night it was hb8lawyer's bday. she went out drinking, they called me to come over. I said I was going to the gym. they said **** the gym, carry her around. i went to the gym. How's that for determination?

now. I hit the bar after. hb8lawyer is the one that basically got me to get my ass into gear. after a month or so of showing low IL, all of a sudden she's inviting me out all the time, asking me if she'll see me at some place etc..

last night I was epically ****blocked by my brother. It was devastating. felt like i was watching a train-wreck. I started getting anxiety again. couldn't sleep last night.

at the bar I was in a tighter shirt then usual. (forgot my shirt, went in my backup gymshirt)

lately like i said HB7 and lower have been noticing my weightloss. last night a lot of people were commenting on it, but a lot were "negative"

"you were such a big guy, you look tiny now"
"what happened to you?"
"oh my got, what are you doing!?!? no beer? thats determination!"
"that's not healthy"
"take it easy, you're doing too much"
and one of my friends sat down with me and told me it was "scary" how much weight i was losing and i wasn't the same person anymore.

I have a huge yearly party to go to tonight. HB8lawyer is going to be there. I don't feel like going anymore. Her birthday party is tomorrow. I do not feel like going. I feel like beating myself up. I feel like killing myself with the gym.

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This weekend has been motivating and emotionally devastating.

[unrelated to weightraining]
I ended up at the gym. HB8lawyer texted me to come to the party. hb6 texted me regarding the train-wreck, making fun of me. I explained that I left pissed off. in the gym both of them texted me to come, and "why are you sad?" I did not reply. hb8lawyer called, I did not answer, someone else texted me why i was not answering. I texted after gym: "was in gym."
went to my apartment to paint. hb8 texted to come, she needed a swimming partner. I went later (about 1)
[/unrelated]

this is motivating.

hb8lawyer was all over me. all.freaking,.over.me. she jumped into her bathing suit (everyone was asking why she didn't before but realized i wasn't there before) I put on my bathing suit and came out into the room.

hb6 screamed like i was a goddamn stripper. I was like "yeah... uh... ok..." she came over and was rubbing my chest. I went upstairs, everyone was like "holy **** dude!"

hb7fitness literally stopped her drink, put it down and said (no ****ing joke): "wow... lore... wow.. you are looking so good. seriously." she said the similar thing 4 times that night. she made me very uncomfortable. her boyfriend was right next to her. she came over and was rubbing my chest, and slid her hand down and started holding my hand. (I pulled away right away, I don't think she realized it was me, lol)

YES... YES... they were all drunk... yes, I get that they probably all had beer goggles, BUT **** IT FELT GOOD. I would LOVE to have that reaction when they arn't drunk.

[unrelated again:]
I went swimming with hb8lawyer alone in the pool and we were rubbing against each other and stuff to keep warm. and when i tried to kiss her she pulled away. this is now really bothering me. she calims I am less "fun" because I do not drink anymore. I had a bit of rum. hb8lawyer got sick. I jetted.[/unrelated]

no football today.
not enough people.
I wanted to play so badly, I wanted to take my aggression out.

I think this stress is starting to give me pretty bad mood swings. i would just get angry before, now I am getting sad. I'm sort of embarrassed to admit it here, but I have been completely honest thus far, I am actually crying. I'm not sobbing, but when I'm driving, my eyes tear up. when I'm alone, I have drops that well up in my eyes.

I do not know if it's due to stress, a deficiency, depression or a hormonal imbalance.

weighed in at 204.

Carlito:

this upper/lower split is very difficult for me. I am not doing nearly enough weight as i was doing before, I'm staying in the gym for a LOT longer (cannot get out within 1:30) and I have not dropped weight since the first 3 days of it.

It might be due to my diet as well, but I don't think so because I am eating very small meals, I'm not counting the stats to the T, but I am DEFIANTLY not eating more then 2000 cal a day, more like 1600, yesterday I cheated and had a handful of chips (tops 6-7) but felt pretty guilty. today I had a porterhouse steak, with some potatoes and small salad. that entire meal was probably more calories then I eat in a day. I couldn't finish it.

yes, this entry was more of a rant, but I'm starting to find this very difficult. I am still moving forward. I still hope to drop to 180 but will still be happy at 190.

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
this weekend was semi- bad on my diet, 4 days of partying, but overall had maybe 4 shots of rum, one beer and 2 smirnoff ice over 4 days. had a huge porterhouse steak on saturday, couldent even finish half of it. took a break then finished it off later, lol.

suprising to say that this morning i weighed in at 201 when I've been bouncing between 201-204 all week.

pics tonight once i get back home.

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Still eating the same, missing some days of gym because I've hurt my shoulder, but I've been getting a lot of cardio ;) I think HB8Laywer and i are addicted to sex. It's been 7 days and I haven't had time to even buy a scale. I will have to slow down on that, need time to do things like.. sleep :p

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You might try a libido enhancer or test booster to fix your temperment.

Seems to me that your test is low and is probably the reason why you are always moody...question.

Do you feel happy per se when you are in the gym as opposed to when your NOT in there? I dont mean like right after your gym time but maybe on your off days..do you feel moody/irritable?

As for your shoulder if it still hurts you might want to hold off on HEAVY shoulder exercises till it feels better just due to the fact that the shoulder is very very VERY easy to hurt.

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
sex=more cardio work...as long as you're not a minute man haha....
yeah, from the rivers of sweat that run off our bodies, I'm pretty sure that sex is the greatest form of cardio I've ever done.

Here is the thing, hb8lawyer is the first legitimate f-close I've had. I totally expected to be a minute man. I don't know why, but I could last forever. I had one 2.5 hour session where she thought I had taken a Viagra.

We've been having sex 4 times a day, and one day 6 times. Were both so rubbed raw that we decided to take abrek yesterday. We almost lasted 24h without ****ing ;)

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
j0n24 said:
You might try a libido enhancer or test booster to fix your temperment.

Seems to me that your test is low and is probably the reason why you are always moody...question.

Do you feel happy per se when you are in the gym as opposed to when your NOT in there? I dont mean like right after your gym time but maybe on your off days..do you feel moody/irritable?

As for your shoulder if it still hurts you might want to hold off on HEAVY shoulder exercises till it feels better just due to the fact that the shoulder is very very VERY easy to hurt.
Wouldent a test booster make mood swings more available? Right now the pretty much only things I am taking is a multi vit, protien, l-glutine and xedrine.

I feel good in the gym,yes but right before I actually lift a weight I end up getting "pissed" at myself (ie: "come on you *****, you can ****ing do this, ****ing do it!")

I slowed down leg day pretty drastically because of my back, and I will take it easy on the shoulders. Haven't done heavy shoulders for the past two sessions.