Large belly

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dilberto said:
You're prolly 13-16% bodyfat still. Razor-sharp definition of abs don't appear until you reach the magic, "single-digits". When Mark Wahlberg modeled Calvin Klein boxer briefs, in 1990- he was a ripped 3% bodyfat. And, he HATES ab exercises! But he eats low carbs at least six times a day. That's key. A volcanic metabolism will fry fat right offa you in no time......
It's not fat, as I've already explained. It's my underlying belly pushing 0utwards. I don't have super low bodyfat, but it's low enough to be able to tell that it's not just fat sticking out.

-edit- 0UTWARDS is now a banned word on this board? What kind of retarded monkeys run this place?

Dilberto

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember ther is two kinds of bodyfat; 1) Visceral Fat- Also known as the "killer fat", because it surrounds all the internal organs, affecting their ability to function properly. This hard-textured fat causes diabetes, heart disease, and other obesity related illnesses. It causes distended abdomens, despite the presence of muscle. Organ fat is a bad thing to have. The good news is that strict diet and exercise can melt this away. 2) Subcutaneous Fat -Softer, and located directly under the skin. Exercise reduces this kind of cosmetic fat, so muscles can be exposed. We all have six-pack abs....but this under-skin flab covers the muscle like a thick comforter. Cardio and weights can slowly shrink-wrap your skin to reveal our abs, once we stop adding new fat(carbs, sugar) and get rid of the existing fat(caloric restriction, exercise, and rest).

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
this is implausible. lactose intolerance is genetic, and usually kicks in when you are young (before age 6) and remains with you for life.

unless 100% of your genetic stock is from Holland or Scandanavia, it's highly plausible that you're lactose intolerant. Other Northern European populations are the next most likely to be lactose tolerant.
Very interesting. Whats the story here?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My problem is not anywhere as serious as Quiksilver's but I do notice some variations in my gut, here are what I think are the causes of my variations that were not mentioned in this thread yet.

Quiksilver said:
The last things to tackle now are my digestive system. I notice a big improvement in belly size when I take ATLEAST one nice long dump each day. That I believe is a major player, so I've been working on staying "very regular", which means sitting on the can twice a day instead of once a day or once every two days like I used to.

Tomorrow I'm tackling the other end of the digestive tract. I'm starting to take digestive enzyme supplements and Metamucil fibre. I'm also considering some sort of digestive cleansing thing, but that's on the back burner for now.
Seems important. I usually take a huge one right when I wake up in the morning, and a medium sized one in the late afternoon.
-If you are having any trouble doing this, try making sure you are getting both water soluble fiber and water insoluble fiber. Also, try being more active. Not just during certain periods, but through out the day as well. I don't know why, but somehow when I am active through out the day (10 minute walking or biking break every 1-2 hours), I have a lot more urges to dump 2x a day.
-I think if you're on a bulking diet, you should be taking a dump 2x a day. That might get food faster through your system so intestines have a chance to shrink *shrugs*.

Breathing was mentioned before. I think this may be important. Make sure you are taking full breathes. My friend whose been playing instruments since he was a kid said that most people don't take in full breathes, they don't use their whole lung capacity. Since the lungs are not expanding as much, the rib cage does not expand to its optimal capacity, and then your gut will stick out more.
-When you do breathing exercises, make sure that your gut is expanding and not your chest, that is the proper way to breath. Try to increase the amount of air that goes into your lungs each time you breath.
-Do breathing intensive exercises occasionally, like sprints or fast swimming. Like a mentioned before, my abs always look the best when I was doing sprints, and it have been the heavy breathing. You never see sprinters with round bellys. Those exercises are taxing, but it won't hurt too much to do after your lifting. If my theory is true about the breathing, you don't have to get good at those exercises, you just need to challenge the lungs.
-Try to stimulate your lungs every 1-2 hours for 5-10 minutes via bike or speed walking. Don't breath out of your mouth, but should be at the point where you feel that you need to breath out of your mouth. Take deep full breathes to prevent this.
-Rickson Gracie shows some breathing exercises at the end of this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vhJza-2xiI.

I recent went on a vacation that required a lot of walking, and I noticed that my stomach was very flat during that weekend (it was more round than usual before that weekend). It could be that I was constantly active, even though I was not intensely active.

From your pic, I noticed your butt is kinda flat, do glut-ham raises, reverse hypers, back extentions (I use 170 lbs weight), squeeze glutes hard during deadlifts. Not sure if that will help, but it couldn't hurt to work on your glutes.
*shrugs*

Quiksilver said:
appointment this thursday where he'll do a real exam. By the way, sleeping on your stomach is terrible I discovered. sleeping that way tilts your pelvis forward, making the belly more prominent. sleep on your back. This one is still in play.
I also hear people raises their head too much when they sleep. They use too much pillows. I know some people who uses no pillows, although I think thats kinda extreme.

Try doing a variety of ab exercises. Esp ones that challenge your breathing. I like to do em as a warmup before my lifting as part of my warm up. A current favorite is doing crunches with your legs in a figure 4 (like you are crossing your legs when you sit) and keeping you leg off the ground. Put your hand behind your head (put don't touch your head to cheat) and bring your elbow to your knee. It is a lot harder than you think ;) .
-Also, my abs were really good/flat when I do BJJ, and I noticed that during the warm ups, we do a huge variety of ab exercises during which it was hard breath. During the grappling/breathing itself my abs were challenged in a variety of situations. I think it was the synergy of abs and lung stimulation is what causes my abs to be so good/flat.

stronglifts said:
Several things that you can do Quagmire.
Lol, for some reason I thought Quagmire and Quiksilver were the same person too. I noticed they were different about 2 monthes ago when both their workout journals were side by side. I was like, 'wait a minute' . . . .

My post summary:
Major things
-Take dump 2x a day. Get water both soluble/insoluble fiber. Fruits with skins, veggies, ect. Keep in mind that not all fruits and veggies have both fibers. For example, spinich has very low fiber.
-Be active throughout day. Bike or speed walk for 5 minutes every 1-2 hours to challenge breathing and maybe get dump frequency up.
-Breathing exercises to develop full breath and to expand ribcage (both during being still and during walks/bike rides. )
-Challenging breathing exercises after lifting (sprints, speed swimming). Don't go too crazy, just challenge your lungs.
-Variety of ab exercises that feel challenging to your breathing before lifting as your warm up (don't do anything weighted).
Minor things
-Sleep on back, use only 1 pillow and not a huge pillow. Make sure both shoulder blades are flat on your bed.
-Work on butt.
-Quagmire is not Quiksilver. Well, I guess thats a major thing.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look into "anterior pelvic tilt." If i manually correct my pelvic tilt my gut completely vanishes (along with a ton of pressure taken off my lower back). So now i'm working on getting it corrected so that it stays that way naturally (lots of lower back and hip stretches etc)

MrGold

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in kinda the same situation. I'm also finding it uber hard to lose fat regardless of my strict diet and heavy training routine! My top 4 abs are fairly visible, but theres a lobe of fat that hangs on the bottom two! I've taken up a heavy weighted-abs routine, and had my training parter punch me in the lobe of fat until unbearable! (Kind of weird ans sadistic, but satisying)

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MrRuckus said:
Look into "anterior pelvic tilt." If i manually correct my pelvic tilt my gut completely vanishes (along with a ton of pressure taken off my lower back). So now i'm working on getting it corrected so that it stays that way naturally (lots of lower back and hip stretches etc)
Sleeping on my back helped with that. I had the same thing from sleeping on my stomach for years.

Dilberto

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Taking the daily dump is extremely important. When your stools reach the girth of a medium sausage and length of a small snake- then your bowels are properly detoxed. Also- never strain until you burst a blood vessel in your forehead, just to let a small nugget out.....that still means problems, with your digestive tract.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
interesting. any more info on this? how do you correct your pelvic tilt?

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just thought I'd bump with an update- looks like it was mostly the pelvic tilt/posture all along. :) If you've got a belly that sticks out for some reason despite low fat, trying adjusting your pelvic tilt and getting used to it.