Large belly

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here are some pics, to show you the difference.

It's alot better now than it was before, but still annoying... And these pictures hardly do justice to it's size... especially looking down at it :).

Tensed

Relaxed

Pushed out

Hope this helps...

Fluffy

Don Juan
Reaction score
To me it looks like the muscles holding in your gut are weak.

You can strengthen those muscles by sucking your stomach in, ala the link in wolf116's post.

Its a common problem especially with older men and Im pretty certain that this is the reason your gut sticks out.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My lower gut sticks out and i'm 9-10% bf. I started doing ab vacuums about 2 weeks ago and from the very start i could do 4 sets of 2 minutes with 1 minute breaks (could go on longer...) and since everywhere i see always has you starting at like 10 or 30 seconds at a time i feel i'm already well ahead of the game so i don't have much faith in it making much of a difference.

sunlight

Don Juan
Reaction score
The side abs hold your gut on its place... you need to pay attention to them. Front abs don't hold gut.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
My lower gut sticks out and i'm 9-10% bf. I started doing ab vacuums about 2 weeks ago and from the very start i could do 4 sets of 2 minutes with 1 minute breaks (could go on longer...) and since everywhere i see always has you starting at like 10 or 30 seconds at a time i feel i'm already well ahead of the game so i don't have much faith in it making much of a difference.
Ab vacuums? What kind of exercise is this?

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Side abs? The transverse abdominus holds your gut in. I guess that kind of counts as side abs, but it's beneath the visible abs.

Ab vacuums are just like the link already posted. Suck in your gut as far as you can and hold it. I'm actually kind of thinking up a way to add weight to doing this. Haha, get a navel piercing and pull a string tied to something... I guess getting on your hands and knees and pulling your gut upwards adds gravity resistance.

Look it up on youtube. There's some crazy videos of what guys can do when they learn to control those muscles and get them strong.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try doing sprints. My abdominal section always looks best when sprints are in my routine. I don't think I've ever seem a male or female sprinter with the round gut either. I'm not sure if it'll fix your problem but it couldn't hurt.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, it may not be fat. It could be an intestinal problem.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Here are some pics, to show you the difference.

It's alot better now than it was before, but still annoying... And these pictures hardly do justice to it's size... especially looking down at it :).

Tensed

Relaxed

Pushed out

Hope this helps...

Several things that you can do Quagmire.

*) Strength those abs. They need to be stronger. I'll only give you one exercise: Turkish Get Ups. Do them. Go heavy. You'll feel it. Turkish Get Ups will tear your core apart.

*) I think you drink a lot of alcohol/beer. Test without it.

*) You don't seem to have a protruding butt (lordosis symptoms) & I assume your diet is right.

Btw, I share Espi's opinion. Bodybuilding is narcistic thus impairs confidence. You don't need to nickpick on every detail of your body. Strengthen those abs, but don't try to be like in the magazines. Be you.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks a heap guys, lots of good info flowin in now.

I read that inter-abdominal muscle article and will try that exercise for a couple months, and post a pic at the end.

to spes: sprints are bruuutal man. I had them in my routine for many months. They were the catalyst in my fat loss from being chubby. They do work the abs a bit true, because you have to forcefully pull your legs up mid run, sort of like hanging knee raises.

So far have just been doing situps and crunches for abs, but ill try some more advanced techniques now.

to Espi: yeah man I know how it works with those model dudes... The thing is, I've asked many people and it just seems very few people have to consciously keep their abs tensed. Even if I am just obsessing over details, the results can only be good if it causes me to strengthen my abs further.

stronglifts: Before I got into exercising, even when I was playing sports at state level, I could barely do one full situp. You are probably right about my weak abs. I however rarely drink alcohol. Even when I drank the most, two years ago, it was still only once per week. Haven't "drank" in over three months now :(.

I wonder how EFFORT is going to respond to me doing way more ab work than is on the program...

again, thanks guys. Hopefully if I ever get this fixed someone will come along with the same issue and know what to do because of this.

Haha, love the turkish getups video.. I think I'll do those at home. I'd get beat up for doing those at the gym I go to.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From those pix you don't look extremely lean - so it could still be vestigial fat.

Generally, you lose fat last from your face and belly...so that spare tire reserve might not get tapped until you have steadily been cutting for a month.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword said:
From those pix you don't look extremely lean - so it could still be vestigial fat.

Generally, you lose fat last from your face and belly...so that spare tire reserve might not get tapped until you have steadily been cutting for a month.
I sort of have the same issue, and it's not fat. I still have a little bit of fat around my belly, but it definitely has nothing to do with the way my stomach sticks out. It's definitely more of an 'internal' thing.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Master Bates said:
I sort of have the same issue, and it's not fat. I still have a little bit of fat around my belly, but it definitely has nothing to do with the way my stomach sticks out. It's definitely more of an 'internal' thing.
Possibly - but remember a lot of fat is interstitial - in other words, not just under your skin where you can easily see or feel it. But this internal fat will still push your belly out.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Master Bates said:
Thanks, that looks like a great core exercise to add to my regimen. What day should I do this on though? Abs day?

Also, what about # of reps/sets?
Do them & you'll see that it's not an ab exercise. It's a full body exercise. Turkish get up will teach you to tighten everything. Strong grip to hold the weight, locked triceps to keep arm straight, shoulder girdle, back, legs to squat/lunge up & down & of course the lower back/abs to hold you upright.

Granted lots of muscles will be used to more weight (especiall back & legs), but you'll feel it everywhere.

Do 5 sets of 5 reps or so. Most important: go heavy. The point is not to flex your abs or whatever. The point is to lay down & get up. Go heavy.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I've been doing stomach vacuums at least five times a week the past month and I don't think it's done a goddamn thing. ugh, it's so frustrating. the way your stomach looks really is like the main visual indicator of how fit you are, and mine makes me look like I sit on the couch all day eating doritos. pisses me off.

Dilberto

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You're prolly 13-16% bodyfat still. Razor-sharp definition of abs don't appear until you reach the magic, "single-digits". When Mark Wahlberg modeled Calvin Klein boxer briefs, in 1990- he was a ripped 3% bodyfat. And, he HATES ab exercises! But he eats low carbs at least six times a day. That's key. A volcanic metabolism will fry fat right offa you in no time......