Karate Instructor challenges Royler Gracie (Fight Clip)

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Rorion video has been slow the whole time, but it hasn't even worked all day today. I wonder why... Kickass video, either way. It's my favorite of the three linked.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OSh6hQMvXWg&search=royler gracie From MTV Wildboyz: Here's Chris Pontius getting owned by Royler, and Steve-O getting owned by some Brazilian chick who looks to be about 50 lbs lighter than him.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I will post some more videos if I can find them. There are hundreds of these fights on the Gracie DVD series. The Gracies took on all challengers across numerous styles and even allowed walk in challenges from average joes off the street. The Gracies never killed anyone, but they beat up everyone they fought to the point of giving up. I know Rickson Gracie alone was in about 300 of these fights.

Tipsy, the "spread eagle" position your referring to is called the guard. The guys in the academy were training on how to escape it in case someone is on top of you in a fight. The only reason Royler went into the position and did it to Chris was to show off and to prove that he could choke someone out while on the bottom. I don't know of anyone who would intentionally fall to their back in a fight. None of the Gracies went into guard in any of the clips.

The whole point of Jiu Jitsu is to close the distance and render the opponents strikes useless by clinching. Jiu Jitsu isn't just groundfighting either. Jiu Jitsu teaches punches, kicks, standing chokes, and standing clinch techniques that can be used to win any fight.

Bruce Lee much like the Gracies saw the fallacies in many martial arts styles. That's why Bruce later abandoned traditional Kung Fu. Bruce taught "Be like water and adapt to any situation."

Thats why Rorion said "If you're going to study Martial Arts you must be prepared for all aspects of a fight and what are you gonna do if the fight goes to the ground?" Learn how to grapple, sprawl, and clinch and your hands will open up for striking.

Today the Gracies have revealed their techniques to the world through books, videos, and competing in the UFC. Many people don't know this, but the UFC was created by the Gracies. The Gracies are no longer as dominant as they once were in MMA because now everyone has learned their techniques and cross trains in Jiu Jitsu.

Sabu

Don Juan
Reaction score
Puh-lease

Kurt Angle, Olympic Gold medalist in wrestling, in his prime, would've EASILY defeated any of the Gracies.

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sabu said:
Puh-lease

Kurt Angle, Olympic Gold medalist in wrestling, in his prime, would've EASILY defeated any of the Gracies.
Mark Coleman was also a Gold medalist in Olmpyc I believe in wrestling (amateur?). He isn't the best. Good but isn't the best. I think he lost to one of the Gracies didn't he?

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sabu said:
Puh-lease

Easily huh?

ntssv

Don Juan
Reaction score
I did TKD for 3 years and while fun, it was pretty much a waste of time. Did BJJ for 3 months and that's alot harder to learn but WAY more effective.

Someone mentioned fighting 3rd world styles. Aside from militants with machine guns, the average 3rd world Joe just throws rocks.

I'm about to begin learning Krav Maga. It was developed for the Isreali Military. Hear it's very effective for street fighting. Won't do much in defense of the Gracie's though

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what do you guys recommend for a regular joe like me with a regular budget? I want to take self defense classes but with all the different styles I don't know what to take. All I want is to be able to defend myself if a dangerous situation ever arises and maybe kick their butt, but I have little fighting experience.

what do you recommend taking into consideration the availavility of the styles in my city (There probably is no Gracie style but there is Kun fu, karate, tae kwon do etc, you know the most common). What is the best style from the common and more available styles that have classes in almost every town?

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
These guys really make their living off of leg rides, don't they? I would like to see them fight a real expert wrestler, he'd either catch those legs coming in, or at least do a better job of getting them out than those guys.

Captain AFC

Don Juan
Reaction score
Someone mentioned something about military training being the most effective.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: The military trains you to fight in a specific manner, like any martial art system. It's the reason why even fighting luminaries like Miyamoto Musashi always encouraged learning from different arts. Whether the legend surrounding his swordsmanship is real or not, one cannot ignore the fact that even the supposed "greatest swordsman" would encourage fellow fighters to look at how other schools do things, if only to learn more.

Military training trains its soldiers for the reality of their world. That's guns, knives, and bombs. So it's likely that their hand-to-hand skills will be minimal. This isn't to insult soldiers, or claim that they cannot fight. In truth, a soldier, with confidence and strength, is still very likely better than your average moe. However, they aren't trained boxers or grapplers, no matter what they say. Even bootcamp, despite it's hardcore philosophy, is still more geared towards breaking doubt in their minds and programming them to assert themselves on the battlefield. In short - they're not uber-mensch. They're just men like anyone else.

Kurt Angle would probably due pretty well against BJJ, but only because he too has knowledge of grappling. I don't like to think of BJJ as the uber-art. What makes BJJ so successful is that it is, or at least was, a technology of fighting that had largely been ignored in the era that fighters lived in. What, with wars focusing largely on sticks, swords, knives, bows, and finally guns, why would anyone really focus intensively on anything EXCEPT striking? BJJ comes in with this radical concept... what do you do without all of the extra stuff? People that are just strikers fail not because their punches don't work, but because punches and kicks aren't all there is to fighting.

So I say, who cares if Kurt Angle could last in a BJJ fight. Of course he might. He's a grappler.

Looking at today's evolving fighting arena, you'll be hardpressed now to find a "pure" BJJ fighter in the professional ring. BJJ started a trend for fighters to learn grappling. But now, grapplers need to leanr striking as well to succeed. I know Royce and Rorian have tons of notches under their belts. They paved the way. But it's very unlikely these days for them to succeed against the new breed of fighters with just grappling skills. They too need to know how to punch, how to clinch, and all of that.

If you're looking for an art, find something that has solid striking and solid grappling. You don't need to be a super expert to be successful, especially in every day life. Unless you plan on competing, it's not critical that you get the very best training.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wear some explosives inside your jacket, like suicide bombers. No one on the street will want to fight you then :)

(except the FBI)

muttley

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
nishbuk said:
Heh. It's good that the bullshido is finally getting put into the limelight. Whenever I hear some meathead say something like,
"Man...I was at a bar, and these guys wanted to **** with me! Dumbasses didn't know that I know TAE KWON DO!!!"

I silently laugh to myself, at how uninformed and misled this individual has become.
Here's to REAL fighitng: MMA/NHB/Vale Tudo => Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu & Muy-Thai.

BTW, for all you that are interested in uncovering frauds, and freaks in the martial arts world: go to www.bullshido.com

(nishbuk, BJJ Blue belt. :p)

Congratulations on your blue belt nishbuk, its a well honored achievment :rockon:

I too am a BJJ practioner, ive had to stop muay thai for a while because of a broken thumb but i carry on "rolling" on the mats in my BJJ classes, i just LOVE IT!

Nishbuk, who do you train under? I am part of Gracie Barra in England, ( ooh aah Gracie Barra! ). I too, hope to be promoted to blue belt pretty soon, i have to enter a tournament and fight for my belt. I gotta win to get it.:trouble:

Who do you train under? do u take any Judo too? Im starting Judo very very soon. All in all i practice BJJ, Muay thai, japanese jiujitsu (JJJ) and hopefully will start Judo in the comming few weeks. Thinking about starting Eskrima too, dunno yet:crazy:

Lemme know whats up bro!

muttley

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sabu said:
Puh-lease

You probably havent heard of Rickson Gracie have you

Shocker

Don Juan
Reaction score
I love how he schools all of the instructors infront of their students. lol

Dust 2 Dust said:
Kurt Angle could use his WWE techniques to fake beat up all the Gracies.

The Juan and only

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dust 2 Dust said:
Kurt Angle could use his WWE techniques to fake beat up all the Gracies.
lol. Yeah, anyone who still thinks WWE is real needs to fvck themselves with a stick.

though they do have a point in that [insert WWE wrestler] is probably much stronger than any of the Gracies -- and strength is an important factor when it comes to grappling (technique can only get you so far).

anyway, Jiu Jitsu is a pretty decent martial art form IMO

thederekeffect1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
These videos only show the effectiveness of the technique when their opponents are on the ground. It does not show how they would defend themselves if they were in the same position. The goal is to show the effectiveness of the technique by showing it off in real life, no holds barred fights. they keep saying that their school of martial arts will teach you how to effectively defend yourself in a ground fight. But they never show themselves in an actual ground fight where they get caught in a position where they actually have to defend themselves. He keeps talking about defense but none of his videos actually show him in a defensive position.

Also, I found a few of the videos other users posted funny, because in a few of the videos the gracies actually START the fights. Most martial arts chorus's preach against being the one to start the fight, instead only use it when you are in a position where you need to defend yourself.