Just been diagnosed with Asperger's

Maxwell

Don Juan
Reaction score
This answers a lot of questions about my difficulty with realting to others, but I have no intention of letting it become an excuse for any lack of success on my part.

As anyone else here with Asperger's become very successful with women in spite of it?

orly

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never been formally diagnosed, but I can check of pretty much all the boxes on the typical symptoms checklist.

My father also shows signs of just lacking common sense in social protocol. But where he and I differ is that he just goes ahead and does/say stuff and pisses people off left and right, while I am reserved and simply refrain from doing/saying if I have second thoughts about its appropriateness. This comes from my mother I think, who is also on the reserved/shy side.

At the same time, I'm not formally diagnosed, and I think I'm really just a case shyness combined with just not having enough social experience, particularly with girls.

I feel like I missed the boat during my socially formative years where I was somewhat of a recluse. Stuff that you could do and get away with (and thus learn the ins and outs of social behavior) at an earlier age (teens/early twenties) you just can't do at a later age and expect to get away with. I'm 27 BTW.

Kaim Argonar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Asperger's is complete bull****, just tell whichever incompetent doctor who "diagnosed" you to stick his prognostic up his ass and ignore everything you've been told. It's an imaginary disease. The "condition" is handed out like free candy. Just stop believing in that nonsense, grow some balls and progress socially.

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
orly said:
I've never been formally diagnosed, but I can check of pretty much all the boxes on the typical symptoms checklist.
That's just bogus sh1t. I thought I had ADHD because I was able to check every single box in the list, but I later learned websites do this just to sell medicine to a condition or disease you don't even have.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You do NOT have Aspergers. Don't take their pills. Instead, work on being interested in other people and in being more social.

Maxwell

Don Juan
Reaction score
With all due respect, I'm going to state right now that I firmly believe that Asperger's is a real condition.
And for the record, I am not on any medication for it, (Though I am already taking meds for my OCD) so it's clearly not a ploy to get money out of me. My medical needs are bulk-billed by the government anyway. It rocks having a Public Healthcare System.
Thanks for the feedback anyway.

DonGorgon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Studying the fact that all lies contain fragments
Kaim Argonar said:
Asperger's is complete bull****, just tell whichever incompetent doctor who "diagnosed" you to stick his prognostic up his ass and ignore everything you've been told. It's an imaginary disease. The "condition" is handed out like free candy. Just stop believing in that nonsense, grow some balls and progress socially.
Yeh just a scientific name for deuch-baggery...LOL ooh and we can now sell you expensive medication....

Capitalism in its most excessive form as we see it today is what has caused complete dissintigration of the human social construct... People claim to love capitalism as it turns you into mindless drones bound by the national GDP and whipped by inflation as you slowly or quickly loose your mind and pay for expensive drugs so you can function just enough to go to work so you can keep paying for the expensive drugs you need to prevent that melt down...

Last edited:

Miguel

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don G. Either you are a sociologist, or your watching WAY to much fight club. But your still right, it does work like that. Heres the deal maxwell;

You do not have a sickness...
You do have a problem...

But, that problem isn't your fault. You've been raised in a society that doesn't teach people how to interact, were expected to learn on our own, and sometimes people like us fall through the cracks. WHY DO YOU THINK THIS SITE EVEN EXISTS?

Think about it, you wake up, go to work, put the kids with a baby sitter, and then sit and interact with nobody for the day. (If your a student, then it's a little different... but whatever.) Think, when was the last time you were actually TAUGHT how to talk to people?

The simple thing is man, you were never. Now, this isn't your fault, but don't take a doctors word for it when they tell you that ****. Trust me, I know, many medical proceedures are bogus... (I actually know this cause I have doctors in the family, and they say anything to get you in, get you out, and shut you up.)

Heck, if you don't believe me, get a second opinion from another doctor. Ten bucks says you'll get a different answer on what 'sickness' you have. :)

MascaraSnake

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
this has to be the third thread I've seen on this

Yep...you indeed can, you just have to work very hard at it. Work on your default body language, and try not to tell people you have it unless you know them well.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ASPERGER'S:

"Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space."

That pretty much described me 5 or 6 years ago.

But if a doctor told me I had Asperger's, I'd be furious. I wouldn't just accept it.

It's a copout. You're better than that. Get another opinion, or better yet, don't and instead study Pook like mad, and then go out and apply it in the real world. That's how I escaped this "disease."

hanson

Don Juan
Reaction score
Some of these doctors are as bad as automobile mechanics. ADD/ADHD is definitely bull****, I'm not so sure i believe much in depression either.

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hanson said:
Some of these doctors are as bad as automobile mechanics. ADD/ADHD is definitely bull****, I'm not so sure i believe much in depression either.
Actually I've been through one of the more severe cases, it definitely is real. When you're "truly" depressed, you don't really do anything because you realize no matter what you do, you're still going to die. When I watched a TV show, all I thought about was how they're going to die. It lasted for about 3 to 4 months, it was one of the worst times of my life.

MascaraSnake

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd also say a major advantage to my A/S is that I become very knowledgable very quickly in a subject that interests me. If it's not Dungeons and Dragons and it's something like, oh...music, film, literature (stuff that's girl friendly) then you'll have a leg up on conversation.

Reaction score
Maxwell said:
This answers a lot of questions about my difficulty with realting to others, but I have no intention of letting it become an excuse for any lack of success on my part.

As anyone else here with Asperger's become very successful with women in spite of it?
For me, so far, no, but it's not impossible for Aspies to become very successful with women. Whatever you want to do, if you put your mind to it, you can do it. Although it's much harder for us than it is for neurotypicals (since many of us Aspies struggle with conversation delivery and comprehension - and not just mere social shyness).

Reaction score
Darth said:
You do NOT have Aspergers. Don't take their pills. Instead, work on being interested in other people and in being more social.
Forgive my ignorance ... but what pills?

Reaction score
Darth said:
ASPERGER'S:

"Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space."

That pretty much described me 5 or 6 years ago.

But if a doctor told me I had Asperger's, I'd be furious. I wouldn't just accept it.

It's a copout. You're better than that. Get another opinion, or better yet, don't and instead study Pook like mad, and then go out and apply it in the real world. That's how I escaped this "disease."
What you quoted does not necessarily mean you had Asperger's. If you're implying that you used to exhibit the above symptoms a few years ago and now you're no longer like that at all, it means you never had Asperger's in the first place. You were simply just socially awkward due to lack of whatever it is you needed in order to be set on the right path socially (so it's not the equivalent to having Asperger's). Asperger's is a part of the Aspie (that never goes away but can be controlled), not some label that's given to every person who is currently socially awkward.

So basically you were a pretty normal guy with not much social life, thus the social awkwardness.

Maxwell

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just to clarify:

- I am not on any medication for it, so it's not a ploy to sell me pills.

- I trust the doctor who diagnosed me and find her very competent.

- It's not just "oh, I'm socially awkward so I must be an Aspie," the diagnosis took into account everything from my relative learning abilities as a child to my ability to recognise emotion from facial expressions. It was a very thorough examination process.

This whole ardent backlash of "Asperger's doesn't exist!" and "I'd be furious if I was told I had it!" is baffling to me. WTF?